Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

he'll pull a Spurrier because he seems like a guy that won't want this to be the last word on him.

OSU and Florida won't want him back.

I could see someone like Auburn taking a shot with him maybe even Florida State.

You misspelled Texas. 

If Sark fails here that’s us taking a gamble on Sark and losing. If we had fired Herman and replaced him with Urban and URBAN failed here, the perception becomes that this program is so broken nobody could ever possibly succeed here. That’s true even if Urban comes in and hires a bunch of has-beens and spare parts from his rolodex as assistants and treats the whole thing like a victory lap and does everything possible to alienate everyone on and off the team. Better for him to do that at Jacksonville than here. Now at least if he takes another college job he’ll have some desire to prove himself again. And if it is here, at least if he fails the story won’t be about how we took this all-time great coach that would win anywhere else and broke him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

If Sark fails here that’s us taking a gamble on Sark and losing. If we had fired Herman and replaced him with Urban and URBAN failed here, the perception becomes that this program is so broken nobody could ever possibly succeed here. That’s true even if Urban comes in and hires a bunch of has-beens and spare parts from his rolodex as assistants and treats the whole thing like a victory lap and does everything possible to alienate everyone on and off the team. Better for him to do that at Jacksonville than here. Now at least if he takes another college job he’ll have some desire to prove himself again. And if it is here, at least if he fails the story won’t be about how we took this all-time great coach that would win anywhere else and broke him. 

Damn...that's some world class rationalization!

I see this "NFL is a different job from college" cliche thrown around with astonishing regularity by people who generally don't have any clue what those particular differences are.

I think the Jimmy Johnson quotes are a good start; you're still teaching college guys how to play, and -- until the days of NIL and the Portal -- held power over them that you could wield like a blunt instrument. Whereas NFL guys make more than you do, sometimes, have kids of their own, should damned well know how to play the sport already. Someone up-thread mentioned Belichick as an exception to that, but he isn't; he may ride his players hard, but he respects every one of them. We get the notion he's disrespectful because he's that way towards idiots in the press who ask stupid questions. But if you ask him a real football question or ask him about his players, he lights up.

You have to recruit in college, which means you have to sell the program to teenagers. This is why Mack Brown was a good coach; he could sell water to a drowning man, and just out-talented the hell out of everyone. Conversely, this is why Kliff Kingsbury is doing fine in the NFL; recruiting was the part of the job he hated most, and now it's not his problem. Now he can focus on staff, organization, and X's and O's, which is the stuff he's actually good at.

X's and O's, and organization, are skills head coaches at every level need. Strong had the former, but failed utterly at the latter.

But I think growth is the biggest thing for long-term success. You can, in fact, teach an old dog new tricks. You see that with Nick Saban. He is not now the coach he was when he was at LSU or Michigan State. He's not even the same coach he was when he first took the Bama job. He and Belichick get together regularly and share notes to each try to make each other better, which is why these guys have both been so good for so long; just like when Neil Peart took drumming lessons in the mid-90s, they're not satisfied with being better than everyone else; they're interested in being better than themselves each passing season. They're each still learning how to be a better coach. Guys who don't do that... the game passes them by. Like it did for Tom Landry.

Generally, most people who succeed do so because a large number of factors came together all at once, mostof which were beyond their control and often in spite of their flaws, which may be huge.

My point is... I don't think Urban would have succeeded here, and then all this bullshit would have been on OUR plate, instead of on Jacksonville's. After this, I don't think he'll succeed anywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

My favorite Jimmy story was when he cut dumbass aggy John Roper because he fell asleep in a meeting. Later he would say, absolutely I had different standards for different players, would not have cut Troy if he fell asleep in a meeting because he was Troy fucking Aikman.

Point is, decent chance Jimmy might have been sharp enough to adjust where needed.

Mine was where he cut Curvin Richards the day after the last game of the regular season for having 2 fumbles in the game the day before. 

Even though at the time, the rosters were locked meaning Jimmy couldnt pick up another player to replace him on the 1st superbowl run.   (plus he got paid for the playoff run and got a ring)

kinda like the old "new boss comes in and fires someone on the first day approach" 

That was Jimmy's way of telling the veterans and backups that anyone who didnt perform was expendable.  and they then proceeded to listen to him and steamrolled the Iggles, won the "I guarantee it in 3inch font" game vs the 49ers and smoked the Bills in the SB

Fuck Urban and fuck the abusive tactics he uses to get what he wants. This is the type of degrading shit Tom was doing to make the current players tell recruits not to come here.  

Herman was a prick who learned his piss checking & burnt toast runny eggs scare tactics from Urban. This is some sick psycho shit no matter what level you play at. Don’t fuck with people’s food and let them piss and shit in peace. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

ridiculous.  Jimmy would have won 4 maybe 5 in  a row.  the whole thing went to shit when Switzer showed up.  Aikman kept it together for a couple of years and Neil O Donnell gift wrapped them a Super Bowl.  Switzer was an idiot.

Jimmy belittled the guys that weren't good enough and rode hard the guys he needed to, to win.

This is more of what I've read.  Barry was drinking a lot and wouldn't hold the guys accountable.  He also brought almost no strategic or tactical advantage so really he was there to be a CEO, of which he had some success but also failed when the ship couldn't pilot itself.  I think most players liked Barry, but he could have never of built a championship squad and when the waves started to get heavy, Barry was helpless.  Some of it was the squad was getting older, but they probably should have won in 94 and a better more creative coach could have probably milked a run in 96' or 97'.  NFL Barry was blessed by circumstance and didn't fuck it up too bad is probably the best you could say about him.

Moreso, if you fast forward to today's league, the most important relationship on the team is between the HC and the QB and despite Barry and Aikman liking each other initially, Troy quickly grew frustrated with Barry's lack of organization and ability to the control the team.  Barry wouldn't have last more than 1-2 years with a rebuilding team IMO.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is more of what I've read.  Barry was drinking a lot and wouldn't hold the guys accountable.  He also brought almost no strategic or tactical advantage so really he was there to be a CEO, of which he had some success but also failed when the ship couldn't pilot itself.  I think most players liked Barry, but he could have never of built a championship squad and when the waves started to get heavy, Barry was helpless.  Some of it was the squad was getting older, but they probably should have won in 94 and a better more creative coach could have probably milked a run in 96' or 97'.  NFL Barry was blessed by circumstance and didn't fuck it up too bad is probably the best you could say about him.

Moreso, if you fast forward to today's league, the most important relationship on the team is between the HC and the QB and despite Barry and Aikman liking each other initially, Troy quickly grew frustrated with Barry's lack of organization and ability to the control the team.  Barry wouldn't have last more than 1-2 years with a rebuilding team IMO.

yes, forgot to add that the signing of Deion was the other piece beyond Aikman.

the OC was Ernie Zampese and the dc was Campo.  Campo could call any defense because one side of the field was a no fly zone.

Barry had zero to do with winning that Super Bowl.  

6 hours ago, orange dream said:

Pete Carroll is an interesting study also:

10 years as a college assistant

10 years NFL assistant

4 mediocre years NFL head coach

9 years as very successful college head coach (including best team EVAAAAHHHH) ha ha

going on 12 years as a successful Super Bowl winning (should have been 2) NFL head coach.

Seems like generally a pretty nice guy.

And oddly enough, found a way to use his recruiting chops in the pros, specifically in the pursuit of undrafted free agents.

7 hours ago, tx ind said:

No, they were expecting him to not be toxic, not be a raging asshole and not skip a team flight to get caught finger banging women that aren’t his wife.

Yeah, there are a lot of things the NFL will put up with, but being toxic or a raging asshole are not on the list.

1 hour ago, Texasrocks said:

My guess is he disappears for a season, goes back to a pre-game show for a season or two, then gets hired by a school like Oregon or Miami. 

I think this has the highest probability.  He's fucking radioactive right now.  Probably needs to sit out all 2022 and let the narrative cool a bit.  Remember, he's known as a total dick, even in college circles, so to see him fall on his face in the pros wasn't surprising but he can still recruit and probably hire enough coaches to insulate himself well enough to do well at an Oregon or South Carolina type program.  

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

You need to put the crack pipe down if you think Jimmy Johnson wouldn’t have done at least as well as dipshit Switzer.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

ridiculous.  Jimmy would have won 4 maybe 5 in  a row.  the whole thing went to shit when Switzer showed up.  Aikman kept it together for a couple of years and Neil O Donnell gift wrapped them a Super Bowl.  Switzer was an idiot.

Jimmy belittled the guys that weren't good enough and rode hard the guys he needed to, to win.

No, he wouldn't have. Nobody has ever won three Super Bowls in a row and you think they would've won four or five straight -- with another super team like the Niners in the same conference? Not a chance. The Cowboys might've won a third in a row under JJ but I think even Aikman has said that Jimmy's schtick was starting to wear thin and grate on the Cowboys by that point. Barry is a complete moron but he was "smart" enough to not change much and fell ass-backwards into a Super Bowl in Year 2. Then the run was over.

54 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I see this "NFL is a different job from college" cliche thrown around with astonishing regularity by people who generally don't have any clue what those particular differences are.

I think the Jimmy Johnson quotes are a good start; you're still teaching college guys how to play, and -- until the days of NIL and the Portal -- held power over them that you could wield like a blunt instrument. Whereas NFL guys make more than you do, sometimes, have kids of their own, should damned well know how to play the sport already. Someone up-thread mentioned Belichick as an exception to that, but he isn't; he may ride his players hard, but he respects every one of them. We get the notion he's disrespectful because he's that way towards idiots in the press who ask stupid questions. But if you ask him a real football question or ask him about his players, he lights up.

You have to recruit in college, which means you have to sell the program to teenagers. This is why Mack Brown was a good coach; he could sell water to a drowning man, and just out-talented the hell out of everyone. Conversely, this is why Kliff Kingsbury is doing fine in the NFL; recruiting was the part of the job he hated most, and now it's not his problem. Now he can focus on staff, organization, and X's and O's, which is the stuff he's actually good at.

X's and O's, and organization, are skills head coaches at every level need. Strong had the former, but failed utterly at the latter.

But I think growth is the biggest thing for long-term success. You can, in fact, teach an old dog new tricks. You see that with Nick Saban. He is not now the coach he was when he was at LSU or Michigan State. He's not even the same coach he was when he first took the Bama job. He and Belichick get together regularly and share notes to each try to make each other better, which is why these guys have both been so good for so long; just like when Neil Peart took drumming lessons in the mid-90s, they're not satisfied with being better than everyone else; they're interested in being better than themselves each passing season. They're each still learning how to be a better coach. Guys who don't do that... the game passes them by. Like it did for Tom Landry.

Generally, most people who succeed do so because a large number of factors came together all at once, mostof which were beyond their control and often in spite of their flaws, which may be huge.

My point is... I don't think Urban would have succeeded here, and then all this bullshit would have been on OUR plate, instead of on Jacksonville's. After this, I don't think he'll succeed anywhere else.

Yeah, not sure where the perception that Belichick is an asshole to his players comes from. There are enough ex-Patrioits out in media-land these days to know its not true.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think this has the highest probability.  He's fucking radioactive right now.  Probably needs to sit out all 2022 and let the narrative cool a bit.  Remember, he's known as a total dick, even in college circles, so to see him fall on his face in the pros wasn't surprising but he can still recruit and probably hire enough coaches to insulate himself well enough to do well at an Oregon or South Carolina type program.  

agreed.  he's a well known prick.  the finger banging could be a problem though.

the biggest idiot is the owner of the Jags hiring him.  that was about a 10% chance it was going to work out. 

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

*he could never have built

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

No, he wouldn't have. Nobody has ever won three Super Bowls in a row and you think they would've won four or five straight -- with another super team like the Niners in the same conference? Not a chance. The Cowboys might've won a third in a row under JJ but I think even Aikman has said that Jimmy's schtick was starting to wear thin and grate on the Cowboys by that point. Barry is a complete moron but he was "smart" enough to not change much and fell ass-backwards into a Super Bowl in Year 2. Then the run was over.

He absolutely would have won 4 in a row.  They won 3 of 4 as it was.  Hell, the Cowboys almost came back to defeat the 49ers in the NFC Champ game with that buffoon Switzer in charge.  They absolutely win that game and go on the blow out the Chargers if Jimmy was still there.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I have no doubt he would have won 4 in a row. the only wildcard was Jones.  I never heard that about Aikman but maybe its out there somewhere.

22 minutes ago, naija said:

Yeah, not sure where the perception that Belichick is an asshole to his players comes from. There are enough ex-Patrioits out in media-land these days to know its not true.

Yup, Aqib Talib was on the Manning MNF a few weeks ago and was asked about the perception of the Patriot Way and Belichick as a hard ass:

Edited by ultimaton
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s zero doubt he will coach college again.  He is way too full of himself to go down like this.  So, where’s he end up?  I’ll go with LSU in 24 months.  I don’t see Kelly working out in the swamp.  

(Mark down several titles for Kelly at LSU.)

No way in Hell. 

If Urban ever comes back he’s going to have to do like Freeze, Briles, Petino. 

He’s going to have spend a few years back at Bowling Green, or some place similar to wash some stink off himself. 

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

No way in Hell. 

He’s going to have spend a few years back at Bowling Green, or some place similar to wash some stink off himself. 

LSU gives zero fucks.  You know anything about how they do things?  

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s zero doubt he will coach college again.  He is way too full of himself to go down like this.  So, where’s he end up?  I’ll go with LSU in 24 months.  I don’t see Kelly working out in the swamp.  

(Mark down several titles for Kelly at LSU.)

OU

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Urban is gonna be Saban’s next rehab project, isn’t he?

No.  Urban's a three time national champion head coach, and an egomaniacal prick.  Saban has never hired someone with that combination of pedigree and personality on his staff.  He and Urban would not get along well.

14 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Yup, Aqib Talib was on the Manning MNF a few weeks ago and was asked about the perception of the Patriot Way and Belichick as a hard ass:

its kind of what I keep telling my kid.  being on time/paying attention(don't fall asleep in meetings) is half the fucking battle, don't be an idiot(know your stuff) is about 30% and the last 20% is luck so just do the first 80% and hope the other 20% falls your way.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

He absolutely would have won 4 in a row.  They won 3 of 4 as it was.  Hell, the Cowboys almost came back to defeat the 49ers in the NFC Champ game with that buffoon Switzer in charge.  They absolutely win that game and go on the blow out the Chargers if Jimmy was still there.

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I have no doubt he would have won 4 in a row. the only wildcard was Jones.  I never heard that about Aikman but maybe its out there somewhere.

I respectfully disagree for numerous reasons. I think the Cowboys could've won a third in a row with Jimmy and then would've been knocked off in Year 4 if he'd stayed. So like I said, I think winning three over those four years was probably best case -- and that's what they did. It would've been a hell of a lot better story -- and more fun -- if Jimmy had done it and Switzer never coached the Cowboys.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

No.  Urban's a three time national champion head coach, and an egomaniacal prick.  Saban has never hired someone with that combination of pedigree and personality on his staff.  He and Urban would not get along well.

this. Urban has probably convinced himself he is Nick Saban if he just didn't have brain spiders and heart issues.

8 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

No way in Hell. 

What if Ryan Day takes a NFL gig? The OSU fanbase would take him back in a fucking fraction of a second. I think for all the school admin/AD said and did, he remained on and taught a fucking ethics class at the university so they didn't really want him gone gone.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I respectfully disagree for numerous reasons. I think the Cowboys could've won a third in a row with Jimmy and then would've been knocked off in Year 4 if he'd stayed. So like I said, I think winning three over those four years was probably best case -- and that's what they did. It would've been a hell of a lot better story -- and more fun -- if Jimmy had done it and Switzer never coached the Cowboys.

they signed Deion in 95.  I'm guessing Jimmy wins a super bowl with Troy/Emmitt/Irvin/Deion but yeah probably not....

was the one great move by Jerry(after the hiring of Johnson).

1 hour ago, naija said:

Belichick isn't an asshole.  He's simply demanding and has high expectations. But he goes about those things in a fair and regimented fashion. 

College coaches failing in the NFL is not a new phenomena.  Indeed, it's almost a right of passage.  Plus, no one is going to give a shit that there is some weak ass story that a hack kicker got a 5/10 love tap.   One could argue that the UT pursuit in 2020 actually disinfected UM after the OSU stuff.  If he wants to return to the college ranks, there will be a line outside his door.

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

What if Ryan Day takes a NFL gig? The OSU fanbase would take him back in a fucking fraction of a second. I think for all the school admin/AD said and did, he remained on and taught a fucking ethics class at the university so they didn't really want him gone gone.

No.

The risk of immense brand damage is just too high.

Urban is toxic.

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

No.

The risk of immense brand damage is just too high.

Urban is toxic.

Ha brand damage. If urban meyer hadn't coached at osu ever and had his same resume they'd take him in a heartbeat. 

The only reason they might not take him back is admitting they need him to win another NC.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Ha brand damage. If urban meyer hadn't coached at osu ever and had his same resume they'd take him in a heartbeat. 

The only reason they might not take him back is admitting they need him to win another NC.

If you are tOSU and you need to do a mea culpa, to you fall down before Urban, or Luke Fickell?

Edited by Randolph Duke