Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Similar on the field? Probably not. Similar in terms of scandal? That’s how it always ends with him-see OSU, Florida. Intellectually lazy is assuming we’d be the exception. 

That’s true as far as it goes, but if he brought a championship and a couple playoff appearances with him like he did at those other two stops I feel like that would be a trade most would take. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s true as far as it goes, but if he brought a championship and a couple playoff appearances with him like he did at those other two stops I feel like that would be a trade most would take. 

It is known.

Winnning always trumps assholery, pretty muchly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve never wanted him for that reason. But in general, yeah, you’re probably right.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I’ve never wanted him for that reason. But in general, yeah, you’re probably right.

Agreed. And. It everyone would be ok with it. 2005 was so special. And one of the things that made it truly special for me was Mack’s locker room speech about not letting this be your greatest memory in life. Doesn’t feel like Urbs is the kind of guy who could make that speech, so…

• Hook 'Em 2

He lost what little was left of his moral authority getting that stank on his finger. If you are gonna be a hardass coach you need to at least appear to have your shit in order. 

He lost what was left of his aura of competence getting busted CATTING AROUND IN HIS OWN BAR. If a man can't get some strange in a town where he is a god in his own fuckin' little playground without getting snitched on he is lacking both respect and competence. He should have been taking up cameras at the door. Or there should have been and understanding -- Urban gets to fuck around and we don't snitch. Shit, the girl he gave the shocker to seemed to be willing to play by those rules but obvs that is no longer a unanimous sentiment. 

That's off the field. On the field he was a historic disaster. 

Meanwhile the game off and on the field has shifted, titanically. He would return to a recruiting landscape completely altered and he would be behind the 8-ball at first. 

He will sit out a couple of years and wind up somewhere like Liberty where he will be mediocre. Or somewhere like Auburn where he would be a disaster. 

He will never, ever coach at the University of Texas, and I am relieved and happy about that. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Lmao at everything that has always been known about Urban Meyer and everyone was still tripping all over their dicks at the chance to have him as their coach. Not just surly posters, but his name was thrown around every time there was a vacancy, and he could pretty much call his shot. So much so that he was able to pass on a blue blood head job (and lord only knows how many others) to take an NFL job. Fans, media, owners, AD's, boosters...you name it, everyone wanted him or at least showed interest despite what all he'd done off the field. But now he's had a questionable night with a coed, had an alleged scuffle with a kicker and his college coaching game didn't translate to the NFL like a lot of coaches' don't. And now he's a piece of shit. Now he's toxic. Now he's radioactive. Now he'll never work again.

Give me a fucking break. What a world we're living in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Again, it's not that it simply "didn't work out". It's that his entire fucking team and coaching staff publicly quit on him and he was a shitshow in historical fashion, leading to him being the fastest coach ever fired. Ever. Think about that.

I did think about that and didn’t  realize Urban was that fast.

What’s his 40 time?

19 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Lmao at everything that has always been known about Urban Meyer and everyone was still tripping all over their dicks at the chance to have him as their coach. Not just surly posters, but his name was thrown around every time there was a vacancy, and he could pretty much call his shot. So much so that he was able to pass on a blue blood head job (and lord only knows how many others) to take an NFL job. Fans, media, owners, AD's, boosters...you name it, everyone wanted him or at least showed interest despite what all he'd done off the field. But now he's had a questionable night with a coed, had an alleged scuffle with a kicker and his college coaching game didn't translate to the NFL like a lot of coaches' don't. And now he's a piece of shit. Now he's toxic. Now he's radioactive. Now he'll never work again.

He's toxic and radioactive now because he fucking sucked shit through a straw

A successful, white collar cocaine user has a habit.  An unemployed deadbeat is an addict

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, ESPN finally allowing their talking heads to lay into him is a pretty clear sign. They always treated him with kid gloves for his college transgressions because they hoped that he would come back to them during one of his "health and family" sabbaticals from coaching.

Urban was a Fox Sports guy.

23 hours ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Avoided what shitshow?  I'm no CUM fan but I think it's intellectually lazy to assume the outcomes in Jacksonville would have had similar occurences here.

the whole "CUM" thing that took hold on this board turned me into curious about urban to hate the fucking idea. yall are the best. yall are the worst. that was the worst part of the equation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, ESPN finally allowing their talking heads to lay into him is a pretty clear sign. They always treated him with kid gloves for his college transgressions because they hoped that he would come back to them during one of his "health and family" sabbaticals from coaching.

Fox guys have been soft on him though

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Ahem. Everyone wanted Urban? 

That’s not quite accurate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Urban isn't the problem. Just ask him.

The "it eats at my soul" bullshit for his lack of professionalism.

And there is this

"I think college has changed quite a bit, too," Meyer said. "Just society has changed. You think how hard you pushed. … I believe there is greatness in everybody and it's the coach's job to find that greatness however you do that. Positive encouragement. Pushing them to be greater, making them work harder, identifying flaws and trying to fix [them]. I think everything is so fragile right now. And that includes coaching staffs. When I got into coaching, coaches weren't making this kind of money and they didn't have agents. Everything is so fragile where it used to be team, team, team. I remember talking about it in a staff meeting three days ago. I got into this profession because I had the greatest high school coach and it was all about team. All about the huddle.

yup. y'all are just fragile.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

give us credit for learning from our mistake

18 hours ago, Tracer Bullet said:

He's toxic and radioactive now because he fucking sucked shit through a straw

A successful, white collar cocaine user has a habit.  An unemployed deadbeat is an addict

I get your point, but I'm not even sure his record on the field was that bad, given the circumstances. He took over a 1-15 team and at least had them with 2 wins this year...with a first year quarterback. A lot of teams struggle with a first year quarterback. Hell, Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 with first year quarterback Troy Aikman and they're both hall of famers now.

Not saying he shouldn't have been fired or defending him in any way. I'm not even saying he's not a piece of shit. The point is, he's always been a piece of shit. And the complete 180 from everyone slobbering all over his knob to now claiming he's radioactive and he'll never work again, just from the piddly little crap he did this year, is ridiculous. The immoral stuff he did this year pales in comparison to some of the immoral stuff he did in the past. Yet, now everyone's all holier than thou about him.

His coaching style and personality did not translate to the NFL. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Did Texas dodge a bullet with Urban? Depends upon your definition of success.

If you mean wins and losses, that is debatable. If you mean ethical standards and morality, college football abandoned that several years ago and I’m tired of being the only one to care about it, so if no one else cares, eff it. Let’s roll in the muck. 

This is the way many people look at it. 

Edited by Dbeasy

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Did Texas dodge a bullet with Urban? Depends upon your definition of success.

If you mean wins and losses, that is debatable. If you mean ethical standards and morality, college football abandoned that several years ago and I’m tired of being the only one to care about it, so if no one else cares, eff it. Let’s roll in the muck. 

This is the way many people look at it. 

Lets reason through the fact that he took the J'ville job. It means either:

A) He would actually rather coach the Jacksonville fucking Jaguars over a blue blood school where he would "easily win championships" according to the people around here who really know what winning looks like

B) Got told no by those institutions for being a fucking crazy asshole who you don't want repping your school(we know for a fact that USC said no)

So if you go with A he's a fucking idiot. And if you go with B he's a fucking idiot. So there you go.

And if he's scared of NIL and recruiting against it then he's a pussy AND an idiot. Saban has adjusted to NIL beautifully. 

Edited by Pam Cummings

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

A) He would actually rather coach the Jacksonville fucking Jaguars over a blue blood school where he would "easily win championships" according to the people around here who really know what winning looks like

B) Got told no by those institutions for being a fucking crazy asshole who you don't want repping your school(we know for a fact that USC said no)

So if you go with A he's a fucking idiot. And if you go with B he's a fucking idiot. So there you go.

Jeez, I think that's a really simplistic take. Could also mean...

C) He has one of the worst god-complexes ever and felt like he'd already accomplished everything he needed to in college and thought he'd be able to walk right into the NFL and dominate, so why not go coach at the highest level (yes even the Jacksonville fucking Jaguars are a higher level than any blue blood school...it's the NF fucking L) to add to his accomplishments.

D) He was tired of the recruiting game and decided he didn't need that headache (pun intended) anymore, so NFL it is.

E) He saw what a screwed up culture Texas had and decided to pass.

F) He couldn't get the big cigars (part of E above) to agree to give him total control and decided to pass.

G) All of the above.

Very likely the answer is G.

Also, how do we "know for a fact that USC said no"?

Edited by Landomatic

16 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

...because USC has higher ethical standards than UT

Duh 🙄

Yeah, well duh. But I'd never seen anything on that at all. In fact, I think USC's timeline didn't work where they could have gotten him (without taking him from Jacksonville). They didn't have an opening when he was at Fox and by the time they did, he was in his first year with the Jaguars. So, not sure how USC could have "for a fact said no" to him. Maybe I missed something? Or maybe Pam is just talking out her ass?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, well duh. But I'd never seen anything on that at all. In fact, I think USC's timeline didn't work where they could have gotten him (without taking him from Jacksonville). They didn't have an opening when he was at Fox and by the time they did, he was in his first year with the Jaguars. So, not sure how USC could have "for a fact said no" to him. Maybe I missed something? Or maybe Pam is just talking out her ass?

I’m not sure how bad he wanted the job but allegedly their new president from UNC would not hire him. Ever.  

42 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

And if he's scared of NIL and recruiting against it then he's a pussy AND an idiot. Saban has adjusted to NIL beautifully. 

Pure conjecture but I don’t think he wanted to coach in the sec again. 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I’m not sure how bad he wanted the job but allegedly their new president from UNC would not hire him. Ever.

Well, considering he was hired in part to clean some of the moral stink off their school, I think it can be assumed that they wouldn't want someone with Urban's questionable moral track record. But that's a far cry from "we know for a fact USC said no"

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Well, considering he was hired in part to clean some of the moral stink off their school, I think it can be assumed that they wouldn't want someone with Urban's questionable moral track record. But that's a far cry from "we know for a fact USC said no"

Per a sportsbybrooks report, carol folt, the president , killed it

46 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Jeez, I think that's a really simplistic take. Could also mean...

C) He has one of the worst god-complexes ever and felt like he'd already accomplished everything he needed to in college and thought he'd be able to walk right into the NFL and dominate, so why not go coach at the highest level (yes even the Jacksonville fucking Jaguars are a higher level than any blue blood school...it's the NF fucking L) to add to his accomplishments.

D) He was tired of the recruiting game and decided he didn't need that headache (pun intended) anymore, so NFL it is.

E) He saw what a screwed up culture Texas had and decided to pass.

F) He couldn't get the big cigars (part of E above) to agree to give him total control and decided to pass.

G) All of the above.

Very likely the answer is G.

Also, how do we "know for a fact that USC said no"?

C) is the jaguars HC job really better than a blue blood?  not like its the niners, cowboys, steelers, packers, giants job.  it's a historically bad franchise.  meanwhile the MSU coach just got $10m a year for having one good season.  and if he really thought he was gonna "walk right into the NFL and dominate" with the jacksonville jaguars then yes, he is a fucking idiot.

D) recruiting is easier than ever with NIL

E) after what he did in jacksonville, i think it's safe to say that his judgement on "culture" is very questionable at best.

F) yeah might be kind of a good thing that they didn't do that

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

C) is the jaguars HC job really better than a blue blood?  not like its the niners, cowboys, steelers, packers, giants job.  it's a historically bad franchise.  meanwhile the MSU coach just got $10m a year for having one good season.  and if he really thought he was gonna "walk right into the NFL and dominate" with the jacksonville jaguars then yes, he is a fucking idiot.

I see your point, but it's not like UT was in perfect shape either. Or USC (if that was even a thing) either. I think most coaches consider even the lower end NFL jobs to be better than even the higher end college jobs. Assuming you're going to have success at both, which I think most do. And with an ego like Urban's, yeah I'm sure he thought he'd be successful.

Well, he was caught on a live mic on Hard Knocks saying something like "at least I don't have to recruit any more" when someone asked how the NFL was going for him.

E) after what he did in jacksonville, i think it's safe to say that his judgement on "culture" is very questionable at best.

That wouldn't keep him from thinking that way.

Maybe, maybe not. Results could have been vastly different for him at UT. His college game didn't translate to the NFL, which very few do. It's a completely different job.

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I get your point, but I'm not even sure his record on the field was that bad, given the circumstances. He took over a 1-15 team and at least had them with 2 wins this year...with a first year quarterback. A lot of teams struggle with a first year quarterback. Hell, Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 with first year quarterback Troy Aikman and they're both hall of famers now.

Not saying he shouldn't have been fired or defending him in any way. I'm not even saying he's not a piece of shit. The point is, he's always been a piece of shit. And the complete 180 from everyone slobbering all over his knob to now claiming he's radioactive and he'll never work again, just from the piddly little crap he did this year, is ridiculous. The immoral stuff he did this year pales in comparison to some of the immoral stuff he did in the past. Yet, now everyone's all holier than thou about him.

His coaching style and personality did not translate to the NFL. Nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly. He’s not radioactive in the slightest at the college level. He’s a grade-A immoral asshole. That was a well known fact before Jville and is a known fact now. No new facts have come to light. He’s also a guy who brought MNCs to two different schools. 
There is no moral high ground left in college. He won’t have to go to some rehab spot. The next blue blood that is open, he’s going to be in the top 3. And that includes UT.  And that’s because of one simple reason.  He wins.

Briles is the only guy at the college level that is radioactive. And he didn’t win championships. Urban isn’t Briles and he isn’t radioactive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think Urban wanted a run at the NFL and he certainly wasn't going to get one of those jobs.  I don't think he wanted to deal with the new variables and he and CDC likely butted heads on a couple of issues.  And again, JMO, I don't think he wanted to coach in the SEC.

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

lol

Welcome to Tuscaloosa, Offensive Analyst Meyer.

(Disclaimer - I have no sources and this is mostly a joke but y’all know it’s gonna happen.)

Nah, he doesn’t need to be an analyst.  As stated above, if he wants back in CFB he will be and will be highly sought after.  

the GOAT Saban just picked up his 2nd undefeated season in 2020, it’s that hard to do.  Meyer has also done it 2x and won at every college stop.  He also has a better win% than GOAT, 85% vs 80%

1 hour ago, Jimbob said:

Nah, he doesn’t need to be an analyst.  As stated above, if he wants back in CFB he will be and will be highly sought after.  

the GOAT Saban just picked up his 2nd undefeated season in 2020, it’s that hard to do.  Meyer has also done it 2x and won at every college stop.  He also has a better win% than GOAT, 85% vs 80%

I think he definitely has options at the college level, but the question is what do those options look like?  What schools would ride out the media heat, ignore he's left Florida and OSU with NCAA violations and basically is a dick that no one likes?  Would it be a blue blood type school or a 2nd tier school with big potential?  A fixer upper in a P5 conference?  My question is..... how bad does he want it?  Does his fire still burn white hot?  I sort of think he took the Jax job because it was a ridiculous offer that he couldn't turn down and wanted to see if he could make it work, but not sure his heart was in it?  I think his behavior and decisions since he was named HC and basically puppet master of the worst franchise in the current NFL, makes it look like it wasn't.  He wanted to create his own fiefdom but didn't really understand how big and different the NFL animal was and was too tired and disinterested to really care until it was probably too late...... the "for cause" portion probably took him off guard.

I think a Florida State or Oregon type may consider it despite the fallout, as they have proven they don't really care, for different reasons.  Maybe like a Tennessee or Nebraska type, who haven't quite figured out the new world order.  I wonder if FSU would have the money though...