2022 RB Jaydon Blue

texifornia

If he’s punching his teammates and cursing at coaches and this was effectively a mutual separation marketed as an opt out year, I do not want him anywhere near the campus. I have no doubt the Texas coaches are going through the due diligence to figure out what actually happened. If he simply was opting out, just prepare for him sitting out every bowl game and after 2.5 years of playing you know he’s going to quit. If you are ok with that scenario, then fine. If not you better recruit someone else. 

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

It’s one thing if he’s sitting out to preserve himself, but I agree that it’s a red flag if he’s sitting out because he doesn’t like his coaches. Life is full of stupid people and people you don’t like, but sometimes you just have to get over it and deal with them anyway.

Isn’t he dealing with it? He has a scholarship offer, and will graduate early to enroll in college in the Spring. It appears to be a business decision and despite me hating it, this feels on par with the way athletics is heading. Some kids see the use of their abilities differently than fans or those that don’t have ability. They are recognizing their power and taking advantage of the system. Not what I would do but to each his own. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I dont really give a shit if every player on the team doesn't bleed orange dude. It would be nice sure, but this is a business for Texas Football as much as it is the individual player. That's the new truth, you should start getting used to it. You think Alabama and Clemson players give 2 shits about the school? They are just trying to get in the best position to get drafted. 

Unfortunately, this is so very true. I like to keep myself blind to it and fool myself into believing that these kids just really love the school and traditions, but elite athletes are trying to do one thing, make the most of their situation. I want them to bleed burnt Orange, but that’s something they will do after their career is over in athletics. 

Either way, Hook ‘em Jaydon!

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

In many cases, it ruins these players lives.  Money made slowly is a learning process.  Money made all at once is an anchor tied to the leg while swimming at sea.  Same for lottery winners, it's not what you think.  There are a few who can handle it but most can't.  

This is beyond fucking stupid. Not "many cases" of every single fucking player on the roster of every team in the NFL's "life being ruined". There are very few examples of "ruined lives because of the enormous salary for NFL Players" lmao. Comparing Elite athletes to lottery winners is so naive it's stupid. You think Jaydon Blue just wakes up in the morning and runs for touchdowns? You don't think he's absolutely consumed with nearly every waking moment how he can improve to get to a level that will be conducive to him getting drafted in the NFL, which means playing so well in college that you have that chance?

By all means, shit on this recruit and say nasty mean things like "money will ruin his life hurr durr", that's exactly what a good healthy non-toxic fan base does. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Unpopular opinion. Who gives a shit?

With college free agency, the risk is mitigated. If he comes here and lights up the place, all will be forgotten. If he comes and is a head case, Sark will show him the door. We'll always be on the look for transfers.

We all bitch about losing and then wanting to play the $EC game. Are we not already willing to operate in the gray area? Then take this dude and remind him that he has an extra burden to be great 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

In many cases, it ruins these players lives.  Money made slowly is a learning process.  Money made all at once is an anchor tied to the leg while swimming at sea.  Same for lottery winners, it's not what you think.  There are a few who can handle it but most can't.  

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is beyond fucking stupid. Not "many cases" of every single fucking player on the roster of every team in the NFL's "life being ruined". There are very few examples of "ruined lives because of the enormous salary for NFL Players" lmao. Comparing Elite athletes to lottery winners is so naive it's stupid. You think Jaydon Blue just wakes up in the morning and runs for touchdowns? You don't think he's absolutely consumed with nearly every waking moment how he can improve to get to a level that will be conducive to him getting drafted in the NFL, which means playing so well in college that you have that chance?

By all means, shit on this recruit and say nasty mean things like "money will ruin his life hurr durr", that's exactly what a good healthy non-toxic fan base does. 

I don't necessarily agree with his point, but if you think the first post was mean and nasty while the second was healthy and non-toxic...well, that's bold.

I mean, all it takes is one bad injury and this kid's future payday could evaporate into nothing. Wouldn't everyone in here protect that kind of potential earning by absolutely every means possible? Who here as an adult would trade a hefty NFL contract for a torn up knee in a highschool game? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. This kid is protecting himself from possibly 500 hits this season, maybe more.

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There seem to be two different narratives in this thread. The one where Blue is protecting his body, and the one where Blue was kicked off the team for fighting with players and coaches. 

One is directly from the player and the other is from a bunch of old fat dudes on the internet. Which one do you believe, and which one should you believe?

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

If he’s punching his teammates and cursing at coaches and this was effectively a mutual separation marketed as an opt out year, I do not want him anywhere near the campus. I have no doubt the Texas coaches are going through the due diligence to figure out what actually happened. If he simply was opting out, just prepare for him sitting out every bowl game and after 2.5 years of playing you know he’s going to quit. If you are ok with that scenario, then fine. If not you better recruit someone else. 

Red flags all over this Blue dude.  Sounds bad either way.  Either he got kicked off of his HS team or he quit on his HD team.  Both look bad.  

Edited by stork642

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

One is directly from the player and the other is from a bunch of old fat dudes on the internet. Which one do you believe, and which one should you believe?

I mostly hate the 9.95ers but I believe Gerry and he's given a decade + reasons for me to believe him. Occam's Razor tells me that of all recruits to throw away his credibility for -- this ain't the one chief. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The average NFL player is broke 3 years after leaving the league, So he’s not wrong on that point. Sudden wealth does come with a unique set of problems, especially if you come from an impoverished background and never learned how to handle money. But hell, that is what every single player is shooting for, so it’s not exactly something they shouldn't be preparing for. Feel free to blow holes in the rest of the comment.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

I mean, all it takes is one bad injury and this kid's future payday could evaporate into nothing. Wouldn't everyone in here protect that kind of potential earning by absolutely every means possible? Who here as an adult would trade a hefty NFL contract for a torn up knee in a highschool game? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. This kid is protecting himself from possibly 500 hits this season, maybe more.

Maybe he shouldn’t drive anywhere either. Opt of driving because he could get injured in a car accident 

16 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Would be interested to see a source on this.

first fucking google hit 

Sports Illustrated estimated in 2009 that 78% of NFL players go broke within two years after their career ends

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

first fucking google hit 

Sports Illustrated estimated in 2009 that 78% of NFL players go broke within two years after their career ends

Quote the last sentence in the paragraph where you found that in the "first fucking google hit".

Nevermind, I'll do it for you:

A Fortune magazine article states, however, that a working paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research found that the percentage of NFL players who go bankrupt after two years is a much smaller 1.9%, climbing to 15.7% after 12 years.

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Quote the last sentence in the paragraph where you found that in the "first fucking google hit".

A Fortune magazine article states, however, that a working paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research found that the percentage of NFL players who go bankrupt after two years is a much smaller 1.9%, climbing to 15.7% after 12 years.

Let me help you out- I honestly DGAF about Blue, his statistically slim NFL potential, nor do IGAF about the topic of the NFL players going broke. I do GAF about morons stumbling in from the nether shitty regions of the other surly boards that are too lazy to do a single fucking search to find an answer to their goddamn question before vomiting on the board. Congrats on eventually doing what you should've done in the first place and finding the fucking answer. Do that more if you don't want people to shit down your neck here.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Is the thought we currently have a bunch of choir boys on our team? What if I told you there are players on the team doing much worse than cussing out coaches and punching teammates? What’s your moral compass when it comes to Texas players and recruits? And jumping to the extreme conclusion that he would sit every bowl game and quit as soon as he is draft eligible is a bit asinine at this point. Y’all are really losing your minds over this. Are y’all ok?

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I do GAF about morons stumbling in from the nether shitty regions of the other surly boards that are too lazy to do a single fucking search to find an answer to their goddamn question before vomiting on the board. Congrats on eventually doing what you should've done in the first place and finding the fucking answer. Do that more if you don't want people to shit down your neck here.  

lol you think you sound intimidating on the Internet

The reality behind the "NFL players go broke" trope is that it doesn't seem to be statistically founded. It does, however, feed into a lot of cultural grievances ideas that seem to undergird a lot of the anger in this thread towards a kid in a situation the people here know nothing about.

I would still be interested in real information regarding the financial situations of NFL players. The idea that over half of them are bankrupt after retirement seems out of touch with common sense.

But keep trying to sound tough it will work. :)

2 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Is the thought we currently have a bunch of choir boys on our team?

Our national championship team was well-known for consisting of guys who followed the rules, obeyed their mamas, went to bed at 9pm, and were servants to their teammates and Christ.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, Viper said:

I'm all on the red flag team but he's going to be an early enrollee so we're talking no live football reps for 8-9 months maybe, not 18 months.

Game reps are completely different from practice reps. He won't get another game rep for almost a year and a half. Chances are that hurts development but if he's that special of a talent he can make it up. Just never a fan of anyone taking extended time away from whatever they do because the more time you don't do it the less sharp you become at that skill. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Game reps are completely different from practice reps. He won't get another game rep for almost a year and a half. Chances are that hurts development but if he's that special of a talent he can make it up. Just never a fan of anyone taking extended time away from whatever they do because the more time you don't do it the less sharp you become at that skill. 

So you're against redshirting anyone or just for Blue?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

So you're against redshirting anyone or just for Blue?

A college redshirt is working with the team and coaches. Watching film, talking to players, working on plays, etc...

Blue is going to spend his senior year healing, getting stronger/faster, but he's not going to be learning anything or becoming more mentally prepared. If anything, he'll move backwards mentally. It's a real concern, IMO.

22 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Is the thought we currently have a bunch of choir boys on our team? What if I told you there are players on the team doing much worse than cussing out coaches and punching teammates? What’s your moral compass when it comes to Texas players and recruits? And jumping to the extreme conclusion that he would sit every bowl game and quit as soon as he is draft eligible is a bit asinine at this point. Y’all are really losing your minds over this. Are y’all ok?

So you’re saying we don’t know all the guys we got that’s gangsta?

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

A college redshirt is working with the team and coaches. Watching film, talking to players, working on plays, etc...

Blue is going to spend his senior year healing, getting stronger/faster, but he's not going to be learning anything or becoming more mentally prepared. If anything, he'll move backwards mentally. It's a real concern, IMO.

Right that's why I said I was concerned, I'm just pointing out that being concerned he won't play in an actual game for 15 months or whatever is silly given that he's an early enrollee and that red shirting is a thing.

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The reality behind the "NFL players go broke" trope is that it doesn't seem to be statistically founded.

I truly DGAF about this situation and shouldn't reply but you do know that there is a difference between declaring bankruptcy (the ~16% stat) and being broke and/or under financial distress - the source of the original data set (78%), right? Do you think that everyone that is either broke or in financial distress declares bankruptcy? 

I truly DGAF about this situation and shouldn't reply but you do know that there is a difference between declaring bankruptcy (the ~16% stat) and being broke and/or under financial distress - the source of the original data set (78%), right? Do you think that everyone that is either broke or in financial distress declares bankruptcy? 

Right, like SI is going to quote a study that shits on the stat in the headline. Bankrupt != broke. We’ll just all use the stat that better supports our arguments, mkay?
Also, source your own arguments. Don’t be a [mention]bad_teammate [/mention]

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I don’t think that’s entirely correct. It looks like one of us from the player and one narrative is from the coaches through various media contacts. Both sides have an interest in not looking bad over the situation but if he got into physical altercations with teammates, I would imagine that could be verified as true or total bull shit pretty easily. 

45 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

He will be in Austin in 7 months and if he RS he will spend 18 months with the program before his first game.  

41 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Season 4 Episode 6 GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I’d imagine most of the ones who are broke within three years don’t have the right financial people telling them to file for bankruptcy 

Assuming the public reason for Blue's opt out is true (save his body), isn't it the case that a lot of peoples' worries on here would be mitigated if the underlying problem was fixed? I.e., the NCAA being greedy twats? 

A lot of people are concerned that Blue opting out is a me-first mindset that will lead to him opting out of bowl games or even his entire junior year, to get to the NFL. But isnt this purely a money problem?

If NIL goes through: at the broadest level, a player's overall career will factor heavily into their immediate earnings from NIL. So if youre a guy who is good enough to make opting out of senior year sound beneficial, you'd probably be earning enough from NIL to balance those incentives out. At a more particular level, this would remove the incentive to opt out of bowl games as well. Think about how much Sam Ehlinger could make off selling an NFT of one of his rushing TDs in the Sugar Bowl?  

Hell, Vince could easily have made a couple million off NIL if he came back for a fourth year. Boosters would just funnel money into his NIL ventures. 

Once those income streams start getting developed, it starts to make a lot more sense for a player to bask in the placid waters of college and rake in that passive income. 

I’m just one man, but this does make me less of a fan of his. Currently, he fell down the depth chart of Texas RBs that I hope do well. There are only so many touches to go round. I hope Brooks gets his and tears it up.

Blue may go on to change my mind but this is how he stands now.

I would wager that high school athletes hinder their dreams more off the field than risking injury on it.

My speculation is that he went on social media to present his narrative rather than allow any other truths to get much traction. At a minimum, it is a look at me moment.

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The average NFL player is broke 3 years after leaving the league, So he’s not wrong on that point. Sudden wealth does come with a unique set of problems, especially if you come from an impoverished background and never learned how to handle money. But hell, that is what every single player is shooting for, so it’s not exactly something they shouldn't be preparing for. Feel free to blow holes in the rest of the comment.

The average NFL career is 2.5 years, and the median NFL salary is less than a million. The average NFL player isn’t nearly as wealthy as most people think to begin with.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

The average NFL career is 2.5 years, and the median NFL salary is less than a million. The average NFL player isn’t nearly as wealthy as most people think to begin with.

$2.5 million can go a long way if they are smart. Investing that money at 5% brings in $125K on top of whatever they make in their new career.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

$2.5 million can go a long way if they are smart. Investing that money at 5% brings in $125K on top of whatever they make in their new career.

The median salary is less than a million, not at one million. I believe it’s around 850k and that’s before taxes.

It’s still obviously a lot, just not nearly as much as people tend to think. Even your 2.5mil number is way too high.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The median salary is less than a million, not at one million. I believe it’s around 850k and that’s before taxes.

It’s still obviously a lot, just not nearly as much as people tend to think. Even your 2.5mil number is way too high.

"The average NFL career lasts 3.3 years, according to the NFL Players' Association; 78 percent of players go broke within three years of retirement and 15.7 percent file for bankruptcy within 12 years of leaving the league, according to a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research."

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w21085/w21085.pdf

The median level of earnings across all players is about $3.2 million (in year 2000 dollars).

Plus, there is some pension and other benefits post career.

And the career length is a little misleading in that over 75% of rookies get a second contract. The 3.3yr. stat is based on the 90 man roster. If you make a roster opening day the average career is 6.1 seasons.

Edited by Bevo

Lol

It’s personal for you too shithead or you wouldn’t be here. It’s a personal connection that has us all here.

It’s ok to have an opinion. It’s ok to have differing opinions. It’s not ok to write off Blue for the remainder of his life.

Take Brooks as an example. He’s an afterthought for many and probably assumed that Blue would jump him on the depth chart upon arrival. I hope Brooks whips ass and dominates. I had hoped Brooks to be successful regardless of Blues announcement. As he signed with Texas, I have a personal interest in his success. If he’s a good rep of the university and an average player, I’m ok with that. Not everyone succeeds on the field. If our program is worth a damn, someone else will step up.

But you carryon and continue with your Schlick being a poor mans Futureman.

Go ahead have the last word if you desire it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1