Site improvements

immamac

• 2 weeks later...

[mention=397]immamac[/mention] Starting the game thread but locking it until kick is fucking retarded.  I get the whole waiting thing, but kick off?  

Additionally, can I petition that game threads not be stickies?
I’m on tapa and every time I click on a sticky, you start at the beginning of the thread. I don’t want to start at the beginning each time I click on a game thread. Ideally 1st unread.
Thanks.

6 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Additionally, can I petition that game threads not be stickies?
I’m on tapa and every time I click on a sticky, you start at the beginning of the thread. I don’t want to start at the beginning each time I click on a game thread. Ideally 1st unread.
Thanks.

This was fixed during the game.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:00 PM, Mason Ramsey said:

Is there any way to see rep on dark mode? I've messed with switching between Main, Default, IPS, etc. and haven't been able to figure out a way to see rep when on dark mode. I'm on desktop btw.

Still an issue for me as well. Haven't brought it up because I don't really care but it hasn't been working for awhile. I'm on chrome on Android. 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:27 PM, SDG said:

@immamac Starting the game thread but locking it until kick is fucking retarded.  I get the whole waiting thing, but kick off?  

Agree. Open it at least 30 mins before kick. 

Agree. Open it at least 30 mins before kick. 

The tapa sticky thing is still the same for me. Any sticky or announcement opens to the initial post. Any regular post opens to 1st unread.
I thought about subscribing to the game thread to see if that changed anything but you can’t subscribe to stickies either.

Just now, nycHorn said:

The tapa sticky thing is still the same for me. Any sticky or announcement opens to the initial post. Any regular post opens to 1st unread.
I thought about subscribing to the game thread to see if that changed anything but you can’t subscribe to stickies either.

I'm not saying it doesn't behave that way - just that imma unpinned it during the game. 

• 3 weeks later...

i know having too many reaction emojis is cumbersome...but i frequently wish we had an eyeroll one, maybe rep neutral? 🙄

i really don't like to use neg-rep, it would be nice to be able to easily register exasperation/annoyance without actually negging and having people get their panties in a bunch 🙄😄

there are a ton of excellent eyeroll gifs, so i'm not gonna be broke up about it...just an idea😊 

FWIW i like and use all the current ones, i'm not advocating replacing any.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think the site can be more honest and improved if my handle can be changed.

I’ve gone by Superhero since 3 sites ago, and frankly, the name is no longer representative of my physical condition and moral compass.

@immamac Can you PM me so we can retire Superhero? I would like to walk the earth with a new name. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Example of bad search function. Type in Belyeu. He’s a commit for baseball. It’s not a common name like smith or Jones.

It will literally take you to the bottom of the page he is mentioned in. Enjoy scrolling up a few hundred posts finding him if you can!

It’s like 1998 around here on the search feature.

On 10/24/2021 at 1:25 AM, Superhero said:

I think the site can be more honest and improved if my handle can be changed.

I’ve gone by Superhero since 3 sites ago, and frankly, the name is no longer representative of my physical condition and moral compass.

@immamac Can you PM me so we can retire Superhero? I would like to walk the earth with a new name. 

You send me a PM we will get it sorted. 

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Example of bad search function. Type in Belyeu. He’s a commit for baseball. It’s not a common name like smith or Jones.

It will literally take you to the bottom of the page he is mentioned in. Enjoy scrolling up a few hundred posts finding him if you can!

Use quotes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 1:05 AM, markstanco said:

Control+F is your friend.

Gotcha. I didn't realize it just takes you to the last post of any thread they were mentioned in. I always just use "site:internetsite.com searchy mcsearchterms" on google if I'm trying to find anything on an internet message board. I don't believe there is a single one out there that has a functional search function.

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2022 at 9:59 PM, troph said:

What makes someone a legacy member ? 

My guess is @immamac did an update that required that he migrate a previous version of the forum into a "new" updated version.  Legacy members are people who were members of the previous version of the forum prior to the migration.  Or maybe instead of an update, he migrated from one set of servers to another (I remember that happening at some point).  Anyway, it goes away when you have a tree-fiddy or burnt ends badge.

Edited by dcbc

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

My guess is @immamac did an update that required that he migrate a previous version of the forum into a "new" updated version.  Legacy members are people who were members of the previous version of the forum prior to the migration.  Or maybe instead of an update, he migrated from one set of servers to another (I remember that happening at some point).

Legacy are people who joined before Dec 31 2018. They get no ads anywhere except cloak room and have posting rights in football and recruiting without needing 50 posts or something. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Legacy are people who joined before Dec 31 2018. They get no ads anywhere except cloak room and have posting rights in football and recruiting without needing 50 posts or something. 

That was my next guess.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 8:10 PM, TonyTexas said:

Is there an easy way to search for all of a person’s posts within a specific thread? If not, that would be a handy feature. 

you can use SurlySearch for a specific thread and specific poster, but it still requires querying a specific word. That would be nice feature request for the board software provider though @immamac

2 hours ago, immamac said:

cool, I'm legacy but certified I guess that's better.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that a Vic Mackey post in the Holly Rowe thread had something like 80 rep points and it caused me to wonder what post in Surly’s distinguished history drew the most positive rep points. That useless trivia would be interesting to know. 

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I saw that a Vic Mackey post in the Holly Rowe thread had something like 80 rep points and it caused me to wonder what post in Surly’s distinguished history drew the most positive rep points. That useless trivia would be interesting to know. 

I think you can use the search feature for this. 

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

NowThis’ legendary post has to be way up there. But there was an imma or Brisket post that said a dollar would be donated for every rep or some shit, so that probably wins. 

Yeah I think it was the Brisket charity post. 

On 9/30/2021 at 9:39 AM, mchookem said:

i know having too many reaction emojis is cumbersome...but i frequently wish we had an eyeroll one, maybe rep neutral? 🙄

i really don't like to use neg-rep, it would be nice to be able to easily register exasperation/annoyance without actually negging and having people get their panties in a bunch 🙄😄

there are a ton of excellent eyeroll gifs, so i'm not gonna be broke up about it...just an idea😊 

FWIW i like and use all the current ones, i'm not advocating replacing any.

i think it would go a long way in reducing the 'so-n-so is being mean and negging me!' whining.

Just Saying Colin Jost GIF - Just Saying Colin Jost Saturday Night Live -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...