Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

Just now, longhornmatt said:

But the hope is that doubt has crept into his mind since then about whether Tech and Lubbock are putting a ceiling on his teams.  Since then, Moretti left Tech to play in Europe.   Ramsey went 1 and done even though he only got drafted in the 2nd round.  Nimari Burnett, his highest rated recruit to date, transferred out halfway through his freshman season.  If he becomes convinced he will have a hard time keeping talent in Lubbock even when they’re winning, he could decide a place like Texas will give him a materially better opportunity to win big.

Devil's advocate: is that a Lubbock/Tech problem or a Beard problem?

Just walking away from $7mill seems crazy -- If Shaka really left without any additional money from TEXAS good on CDC and Shaka.

Still wouldn't be surprised to later learn that CDC encouraged Shaka to look elsewhere, and threw in a little going away money to help make the deal to Marquette happen...

• Hook 'Em 2

Just walking away from $7mill seems crazy -- If Shaka really left without any additional money from TEXAS good on CDC and Shaka.
Still wouldn't be surprised to later learn that CDC encouraged Shaka to look elsewhere, and threw in a little going away money to help make the deal to Marquette happen...

I don’t know if we pitched in but otherwise that’s exactly what happened.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So flesh it out.  Shaka is already a lame duck. Next years roster looks like ass.  He may coach and make that 3.5 million but another shot season and now a job like Marquette is out of. The question. Timing works well for Shaka. He just won the big 12 tourney and he’s not passing up 7 mill guaranteed.  Marquette will pay hi similarly 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So flesh it out.  Shaka is already a lame duck. Next years roster looks like ass.  He may coach and make that 3.5 million but another shot season and now a job like Marquette is out of. The question. Timing works well for Shaka. He just won the big 12 tourney and he’s not passing up 7 mill guaranteed.  Marquette will pay hi similarly 

If the Marquette money is $3.6mill per year or greater with a 5 year deal, that's a win for everyone except Marquette.

Not sure if Shaka's TEXAS contract had a buyout provision that Marquette would be expected to pay, but if so CDC might have waived that money to help Shaka get to his new job.  😋

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If the Marquette money is $3.6mill per year or greater with a 5 year deal, that's a win for everyone except Marquette.

Not sure if Shaka's TEXAS contract had a buyout provision that Marquette would be expected to pay, but if so CDC might have waived that money to help Shaka get to his new job.  😋

You never know, maybe Shaka crushes it there though I think the big east has some marquee schools.  But Shaka may just be better at a mid major.  Bottom line is Shaka gets to save face and keep his money.  He didn't lose anything. Neitehr did we.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

These guys don't have hobbies, or any lives outside of their jobs for that matter.  Quality of life is nothing but "Can I win a championship there?"

One of the exceptions to this is Mark Few. He is an avid fly fisherman and it is something he has talked about many times as one of the reasons he has never left Spokane. I think he did say he goes out often on his own to do it though. There are a small group of them that are not married to the job and he would be among those.

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'm reading the Marquette press release about how pleased they are to have Shaka...

Bizarro world. Have they watched him for the last six years?

Every person in the sports media - particularly those in west Texas with sources at Tech and knowledge re:  child custody chronology - feel strongly that Beard and UT are in agreement and waiting for buyout clauses to reach their logical termini.  I have no knowledge myself, but I have acquaintances.   These may be incorrect assumptions on their part, but the assumptions are prevalent.  

6 hours ago, Chad said:

Shaka didn't win a tourney game at Texas over the span of 6 years and Marquette hasn't won a tourney game in 8 years......it's a match made in heaven.

1 hour ago, Tired Horn said:

I'm reading the Marquette press release about how pleased they are to have Shaka...

Bizarro world. Have they watched him for the last six EIGHT years?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

They haven't won a tourney game in 8 years.  Shaka represents hope!!!  Didn't they used to have Buzz Williams?

Shaka DID NOT WIN AN NCAA Tournament Game is last two years at VCU.

SHAKA SMART HAS NOT WON AN NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME IN 8 YEARS!

During Marquette's coach before WoJo's last year and then the entire tenure of Wojo in Milwaukee, Shaka Smart didn't win an NCAA Tournament game. I've now said that THREE times. What in the actual FUCK are the BMDs of Marquette actually thinking? They had better surround him with some great assistant coaches or they are staring down the barrel of a decade and a half of failure.

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Thought about this more, and your points are solid.  With only two years left at TEXAS and next years team looking like it would struggle, Shaka made the better business decision to leave now.  Had Shaka stayed another year, he likely would end up with another bad season and his market value for a new job would have been far worse.

Freeing up the $7.1 million obligation TEXAS would owe Shaka if they had fired him now is a major win for CDC and really helps financially with the transition to hiring the next coach.  So thank you Shaka for winning the B12 Tournament and then sucking enough to lose to ACU...  😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If by sniff the idea you mean use as leverage but never truly consider it, then yes. I agree. But Texas isn’t enough of a step up for a coach the caliber of Beard. This ain’t football or baseball. Basketball is 3rd in the pecking order. If Kentucky came calling that’s an easy decision. Beard isn’t leaving tech unless a basketball blue blood came calling. We are not even close to that.

And when will Kentucky come calling? 5 years? 10? Texas is open right now.

Beard is a born and bred Texan with deep ties to the state. Maybe that means more to him than you’re factoring in.  Maybe he looks at Barnes’ run and thinks damn, I’ll fucking crush it there. I can go on an even better 15 year run at the flagship university of my home state with half the expectations of Indiana or Kentucky.  And as @longhornmatt alluded to, not be burdened by having to sell Lubbock year in and year out.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I think Beard stays in Lubbock. You people underestimate how people think.

One never knows. I thought those people positing that Shaka would walk away from the gig and willingly go to another school were downright laughable. Would never happen in a million years, I derisively scoffed. Turns out I was the joke.

Very few people actually know what's going on, and I'd be willing to bet none of them are posting on Surly (possibly lurking. Hi CDC!) Beard is a viable, logical candidate. There is currently an opportunity for him to become the Head Coach at Texas. He began his career at Texas and has said in the past he would love to coach here. That is all we really know. The rest is just the eyewash that keeps the internet turning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, immamac said:

The money was there. 

Brad Kellner was adamant about this on the radio. Didn’t mention money, but said more than once that Shaka was gonna be fired if he didn’t move on.

Also said he heard one tourney win would have saved his job for another year. 

Let Marquette believe this is Texas spin. Lol. They’ll soon realize it wasn’t.

Edited by CurlyDumps

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This, except I think you mean "overestimate."

Beard doesn't give a shit that Austin is more scenic than Lubbock, or that it has better restaurants and hiking trails.  

These guys don't have hobbies, or any lives outside of their jobs for that matter.  Quality of life is nothing but "Can I win a championship there?"

You said it better than I.

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This, except I think you mean "overestimate."

Beard doesn't give a shit that Austin is more scenic than Lubbock, or that it has better restaurants and hiking trails.  

You forget these guys have wives and kids. While it won't be the main factor in taking a job, if the wife hates where she lives I will guarantee you it will factor I to the decision making process. The daily bitching about it takes a toll. This is speaking from experience

57 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thought about this more, and your points are solid.  With only two years left at TEXAS and next years team looking like it would struggle, Shaka made the better business decision to leave now.  Had Shaka stayed another year, he likely would end up with another bad season and his market value for a new job would have been far worse.

Freeing up the $7.1 million obligation TEXAS would owe Shaka if they had fired him now is a major win for CDC and really helps financially with the transition to hiring the next coach.  So thank you Shaka for winning the B12 Tournament and then sucking enough to lose to ACU...  😂😂😂

You know life is funny if that acu kid misses those free throws, Shaka is still the coach.  It was an awful foul tok

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s interesting to me that the Texas website and official social media don’t even acknowledge that Shaka left.  It’s like, poof, he’s dead to us. 

Why should they? 
The Regional/Nat’l media has done that for them.

Anything additional could potentially come off as negative/petty, or whatever else you want to call it. “Bad optics”, as they say.

He’s chosen to leave. The University has also moved along. 

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

This I completely agree with, and it’s why we would have had no shot with Beard two years ago coming off his national title game season.  

But the hope is that doubt has crept into his mind since then about whether Tech and Lubbock are putting a ceiling on his teams.  Since then, Moretti left Tech to play in Europe.   Ramsey went 1 and done even though he only got drafted in the 2nd round.  Nimari Burnett, his highest rated recruit to date, transferred out halfway through his freshman season.  If he becomes convinced he will have a hard time keeping talent in Lubbock even when they’re winning, he could decide a place like Texas will give him a materially better opportunity to win big.

Moretti didn't leave because of Beard though.  Combine Covid pandemic with being an international player who had had a great career at Tech, and there is virtually nobody who has hard feelings about his decision to go get paid. Moretti is a good dude and worked his ass off for Tech and Beard.

Ramsey followed his particular script and that's not to say it was selfish or not.  The consensus was that he was 1-and-done type talent; and that's what happened.

Nimari Burnett didn't like Beard's coaching style.  Oh fucking well.  It was better of him to quit so he stopped taking up space/ energy on the team.

Austin vs LBK has fuck-all to do with any of these situations.

You know life is funny if that acu kid misses those free throws, Shaka is still the coach.  It was an awful foul tok

This right here. I don’t think people fully appreciate we were just two foul shots away from him still being in Austin. Kid from ACU did us a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

And when will Kentucky come calling? 5 years? 10? Texas is open right now.

Beard is a born and bred Texan with deep ties to the state. Maybe that means more to him than you’re factoring in.  Maybe he looks at Barnes’ run and thinks damn, I’ll fucking crush it there. I can go on an even better 15 year run at the flagship university of my home state with half the expectations of Indiana or Kentucky.  And as @longhornmatt alluded to, not be burdened by having to sell Lubbock year in and year out.

I would think he’d jump on Indiana way before he’d consider Texas, but hey man. I could be wrong. I just think Indiana is a much better job from a basketball coaches perspective. 

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If by sniff the idea you mean use as leverage but never truly consider it, then yes. I agree. But Texas isn’t enough of a step up for a coach the caliber of Beard. This ain’t football or baseball. Basketball is 3rd in the pecking order. If Kentucky came calling that’s an easy decision. Beard isn’t leaving tech unless a basketball blue blood came calling. We are not even close to that.

I know we have tremendous history in baseball and everything but come the fuck on. Baseball doesn't even get a full allotment of scholarships for all of its players. A significant percentage of the NCAA doesn't even play baseball. Basketball is not 3rd in the fucking pecking order. Nor will it ever be, 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I would think he’d jump on Indiana way before he’d consider Texas, but hey man. I could be wrong. I just think Indiana is a much better job from a basketball coaches perspective. 

They have almost become the Nebraska of college basketball so that's not the biggest hurdle. If it was 2005 then there would be zero chance of us winning that battle. 

19 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Not that Texas has a glowing resume, but please remind me what Indiana has done in basketball in the last 30 years. I honestly don’t remember anything significant except for firing Bob Knight. 

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I know we have tremendous history in baseball and everything but come the fuck on. Baseball doesn't even get a full allotment of scholarships for all of its players. A significant percentage of the NCAA doesn't even play baseball. Basketball is not 3rd in the fucking pecking order. Nor will it ever be, 

I phrased that poorly. I meant when people think about Texas athletics, they think “one of the blue bloods in college football, and arguably the richest history of any school for college baseball. Oh yeah, they play basketball too.” I feel like even when we’re going good, we don’t exactly have a reputation for selling out the Frank Erwin center every night.

1 minute ago, jinx said:

Not that Texas has a glowing resume, but please remind me what Indiana has done in basketball in the last 30 years. I honestly don’t remember anything significant except for firing Bob Knight. 

They’re a college basketball blue blood. I would assume most coaches around the country would view that as a better job than Texas, but again. I could be wrong. 

• immamac changed the title to Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette
  • immamac unpinned this topic