2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

23 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

@Wulaw Horn - I agree with the situation you describe, but that’s a once-per-game situation that can be covered with Castro alone.  I just can’t stomach any meaningful playing time for Stubbs in the WS.  Bring Marwin along for nostalgia before a third catcher. 

It’s not that you ever plan to play Stubbs, it’s more that he’s there as insurance for when you pull Maldy while down in a game for a PH and have a reserve in case of injury or game situation. 
in 2017 we never used our third catcher but the presence on the roster allowed us to PR and allowed Fisher to score the winning run. If we didn’t have the third catcher we couldn’t have done that. 
I think that strategic advantage is negligible. I also think it’s greater than the strategic advantage of replacing Jake with a 14th pitcher when 13 aren’t even really essential. It’s the very definition of quibbling at the margins. But, what else we gonna do before we know who we are going to play and where? 

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Have to sit Uncle Mike unless Tucker plays center, which would be a real bad outfield.

It will be Alvarez/Tucker/Brantley from left to right at NL stadiums, at least against a RH pitcher. 
I would prefer Alvarez/Chaz/Tucker against lefties with Brantley available as the best pinch hit bat around against a RH pitcher. 
NL Park batting order against a LHP if it’s me:

Altuve-4

Yordan-7

Correa-6

Tucker-9

Bregman-5

Yuli-3

chaz-8

maldy-2

pitcher  

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Abreu / bielack / Solomon to replace Meyers is my guess 

Diaz is the multi tool sub 

Problem is he can’t play catcher and he’s your top pinch hitter. So- if the pitcher is hitting in the 5th for example and you have to PH in a leverage situation he’s probably the guy- right?  Then your flexibility is gone if someone gets hurt later in the game.  All this shot is really small stuff. It really isn’t likely to matter. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Didn't catch the post game as I putting little terrorists to bed when things wrapped. Can someone post a vid. 

Basically said In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For Dusty El Guapo is a game 6. But as sure as his name is Dusty Baker the people of HTown can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

A buddy of mine is a jeweler in town.  He’s friends with Lance.  Because Lance is a watch fanatic.  He told my buddy he’s done for playoffs.  Doesn’t think he needs surgery though

If it’s musculatory he won’t need surgery. That’s the rumor from the media guys. With how secretive this org is about injuries who could know? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Who replaces Jake ?

another pitcher ?

C - Maldonado, Castro

IF - Gurriel, Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Diaz

OF - Brantley, McCormick, Tucker, Alvarez, Siri

That's 12 position players.

SP - Valdez, Garcia, Urquidy, Odorizzi

RP - Pressly, Stanek, Graveman, Javier, Maton, Raley, Taylor, Greinke

That's 24 for sure. that's leaves 2 more spots. I think Garcia gets bumped off the 26 for either Solomon or Bielak. Then you have Meyers replacement, though Jake has until Tuesday to get better. I think the final 13th player comes down to Marwin vs. Stubbs. If that's the case you go with Marwin, who is a much better PH than Stubbs, but I also see the benefit of having 3 catchers.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Not concerned. The Yankees org. has set the taint bar out of reach for everyone else

Not too mention, unlike the Yankees, who just buy other team's players only for them to fail with the Yankees, the Astros are a strong developmental organization and have 1-2 guys ready to step up at SS in Leon and Pena.

11 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I wore my Astros trucker hat from @henrygandorf to the Dead and Co show during game 1 on Friday night, I didn’t wear it games 2 & 3, realized the error of my ways and wore it again for games 4-6.

Astros Trucker Hat energy will not be denied, Astros Trucker Hat Mafia assemble!

Have mine on the dash in my truck.

not to be overlooked - after g3, the two guys who reportedly led the pep talk with the team were machete and...odorizzi.  so maybe he did contribute.

strom and the tipped pitches discussion was likely a bigger issue.

smoltz and buck need to understand the difference between "hot for the past week" and "historically great" when describing the red sox offense.  xander and jdm were a big disappointment if you're a boston fan.

• Like 1

Those early meltdowns in gms 1-3 by our starters and the perfectly-timed mashery of Red Sox hitting gave me *some* reason for optimism heading into gm 4 and I wasn't as down on our chances as others here and a couple of my Astros buddies. None of it made sense to me, and I was not going to give up on a team of proven clutch post-season players and probably the best pitching coach in Astros history. I remember thinking "make it make sense, wtf is going on here???" 

I don't know exactly what was happening in those early innings (three grand slams in two games?!?! cmon.....) but I did believe that adjustments would be made, it was just a question of how many innings we could get out of those pitchers. 

What Strom, Machete, and the Astros pitching staff did after that ass-kicking with all those stupid dugout cart rides was expose the fraudulence of the Red Sox hitters. Those players nutted up and pantsed Keeeekey and JD and Schwarber and Cora, and I loved every moment of it. 

• Like 2

From the Fangraphs writeup:

If you want a quick example of how bad a night it was for the Red Sox, one of their offensive highlights was a strikeout. One of Garcia’s nasty cutters got Kyle Schwarber swinging to start the game, but he reached first base as the pitch went underneath Martín Maldonado. This was the moment when Boston’s win expectancy peaked — at 53.6%.

It was all downhill from there.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m rooting for the Braves. Another home game could be pretty big. Garcia pitches much better at home, and we’d get Yordan and Brantley for an additional game. 

Best reason to root for the Braves is that they just aren’t as good as the dodgers. Also, duck the dodgers. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Best reason to root for the Braves is that they just aren’t as good as the dodgers. Also, duck the dodgers. 

best reason is HFA, second-best reason is avoiding having to deal with the bullshit of obnoxious Dodgers fans in the event they managed to upset the Astros. 

But this team is on a mission-- their last game of the season will be a win.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I learned my lesson about hoping for the supposedly weaker opponent in 2019.  The Astros thrive off playing against the best competition available.

If Atlanta goes through, fine.  If the Dodgers pull off another lucky ass series escape, fine.  Fuck both of 'em.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I learned my lesson about hoping for the supposedly weaker opponent in 2019.  The Astros thrive off playing against the best competition available.
If Atlanta goes through, fine.  If the Dodgers pull off another lucky ass series escape, fine.  Fuck both of 'em.

This. The proper attitude is “bring on whoever…don’t make a shit.”
  • Hook 'Em 1