Movie Stars That Are Not Good Actors

sheeeit

Only read page one and the last two, but holy shit this thread delivers with so many bad takes and shit opinions. A good actor does a bad movie, they suck in everything. An actor who knows their range stays in their lane and makes solid movies, sucks because they’re not a chameleon. Heather graham is a good example of b list actor being treated like an a list here, she’s not carrying a film, she’s still good at the roles she plays.

The correct answer to this whole thread and forgive me if it’s been mentioned already, is Tyler Perry. Fuck that dude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Covri said:

Only read page one and the last two, but holy shit this thread delivers with so many bad takes and shit opinions. A good actor does a bad movie, they suck in everything. An actor who knows their range stays in their lane and makes solid movies, sucks because they’re not a chameleon. Heather graham is a good example of b list actor being treated like an a list here, she’s not carrying a film, she’s still good at the roles she plays.

The correct answer to this whole thread and forgive me if it’s been mentioned already, is Tyler Perry. Fuck that dude.

Vin Diesel would like a word, lol

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean yeah fuck vin diesel but I didn’t see him mentioned. Fun fact my high school teacher brought him up in television class as an up and comer from some shit and then saving private Ryan, 60 minutes or similar special we watched. He was fine in boiler room back then, but all post the fast and furious movies he can be a one note, but again to my previous point stays in his lane.

On 12/22/2023 at 12:26 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Can't stand Ethan Hawke. 

Why? 

I'll agree he's a bit smug, but not Clooney smug. I believe he's maintained a residence in Austin, so he hasn't gone full Hollywood. 

He's terrific in Reality Bites, Training Day, and Brooklyn's Finest. Pretty good in Leave the World Behind. Granted he's had plenty of stinkers. I'd probably advise him to stick to gritty cop dramas. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 6:02 PM, Covri said:

I've only seen Tyler Perry in one thing and that was Gone Girl. He was actually pretty good in that. I haven't seen his other movies. I'm not the right demographic.

Gone Girl was directed by David Fincher so at least he was able to get a good performance out of Perry.

On 12/22/2023 at 12:26 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Can't stand Ethan Hawke. 

Great example!!   Absolute movie star.  Not a great actor.  Not terrible at all but would have never made it strictly as an actor.

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Sean Penn peaked at Spicoli. He’s been insufferable since.

And still a fantastic actor whose been nominated many times so not sure he fits in the thread.

Anyone saying Ethan Hawke I guess ignored his career from 89-early 2000s.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 2

And still a fantastic actor whose been nominated many times so not sure he fits in the thread.
Anyone saying Ethan Hawke I guess ignored his career from 89-early 2000s.

Shee-it! Penn’s best work (Spicoli in Fast Times and Kleinfeld in Carlito’s Way) werent even among his 2 Oscars and 3 other noms. He pretty much nails every role.

Rich Eisen was interviewing the actor Clancy Brown (Shawshank) who acted with Penn in Bad Boys (1983). He was shocked he wasnt a surfer dude.

Spicoli might be the finest acting performance of all time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The movie wasn't a big hit, but his small gig with Ben Stiller in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was funny. "Now that hurt my feelings." Gets me every time. Just typical Penn delivery.

Ethan Hawke is okay by me. I guess I didn't consider him a big movie star, per se. He's known and all but I wouldn't say he's bad.

Haven't read every page, but the late Paul Walker would make my list. I remember watching him in an early role--(not Varsity Blues, where his performance was okay) Timeline and he just didn't seem to have the skillset. This was after he'd made two of the Fast movies and perhaps this goes back to the staying in one's lane phrase. I can like a person, appreciate their humanity but also recognize that maybe others see something I don't and he was one of them. Seemed likeable enough but not great at the craft.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not reading thread, but I’m not totally sure Sydney Sweeney can act. Maybe that’s partially because I’m too busy picking my jaw up off the floor from staring at her body (I beg you to watch the terrible movie, Voyeurs), but it’s tough sledding at times. Nevertheless, I applaud all her efforts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Not reading thread, but I’m not totally sure Sydney Sweeney can act. Maybe that’s partially because I’m too busy picking my jaw up off the floor from staring at her body (I beg you to watch the terrible movie, Voyeurs), but it’s tough sledding at times. Nevertheless, I applaud all her efforts.

Oh man, she has been a hot topic among some friends of mine that are really really fans of Glen Powell. Don't get me wrong, I think he's fine and nice looking (loved his acting in several movies) but I thought I was going to have to separate the two of them arguing about whether Sweeney was worthy onscreen co-star for him. (I think, but have no psych degree, that there was some projecting/jealousy going on??) I haven't seen the movie they were talking about but boy I had no idea people could get that delulu over acting vs reality vs their own lives. Admiring character or looks or ability, sure but ladies he is NOT going to be ringing you up.

On 12/19/2023 at 8:28 AM, South Austin said:

I mean, we got to see her bush.  But that movie was just awful all the way around.

That's all I cared about when renting that badboy from Hollywood Video.

480i DVD quality FTW.

Other movies that I rented for the same quality acting:

Timecop

The Wicker Man

Nerds

Red Heat (it also had arnold to be fair)

Species

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The movie wasn't a big hit, but his small gig with Ben Stiller in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was funny. "Now that hurt my feelings." Gets me every time. Just typical Penn delivery.

I don't know why, but the movie was a big hit with me, and I agree that Penn was excellent in his very small role. 

Clarifying--yes, I enjoyed it too but it didn't score at the box office unfortunately. Stiller produced and directed and I guess I liked some of the little touches he put into the scenes. The running past the "Time" covers was cool; the filming in Iceland (in lieu of Greenland in the film) was spectacular, the Stretch Armstrong -which I suspect may have been something from his own childhood or the screenwriter's perhaps; Kristen Wiig playing the unattainable attainable woman; the shipman's "Stay gold, Ponyboy" along with the "It's not a shark it's a porpoise" scene; and throughout the entire movie this ordinary man viewed through many different lenses (metaphor I guess?) even as his own lens was literally and figuratively changing. Critcs were kinda wishy-washy on it but I thought Stiller reached his goal. He wasn't trying to remake Danny Kaye's movie, he was making his own movie in his own time with his own take on Thurber's short story and it worked. At least for me it did. Plus I can make my husband crack up by looking at him and saying, "Cinnnnnibon!"

The remake was in development for a long long time, but I agree--it was a hit for us and we liked the cast, including Penn, and watch it whenever we happen to see it playing.