Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

18 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I think his premise is a recruit with a following (think Stewart) gets followers from many fan bases as a free agent, builds up his numbers, then when he is able to take advantage of the NIL, can monetize the larger number of followers (many may be too lazy to unfollow once he’s chosen a different school). At least I think that’s part of what Barbacoa is saying. I don’t think it’s a theory without merit, you see many recruits asking for the different fan bases to weigh in. 

This and I would think you would want to attract as many NIL pitches as possible. Just good business. Take all 5 visits, do your best to convince all of them they have a good shot at landing you, and then pick the school that you think will make you the most money. That scenario would make getting good recruiting information much more difficult and will make some commitments seem like they came out of left field. Im sure things will normalize after each school's NIL opportunities start to show a track record. But for now its kind of the wild west and I have a hard time putting much stock in 9.95 info that was already suspect. 

So is this the latest 9.95er summary?

Perroni - Aggy or Oregon but hasn't undecided

Fong - same

Roach - UT coaches still feel confident

Nick Harris - Oregon or Aggy, likely Aggy (posted before the Roach update so I'm wishfully hoping he just piggy backed of Fong/Perroni at 247)

IT - UT (likely sourced from his HS coach). Doubled down that it won't be Aggy.

Oregon mods - Oregon or UT

LSU mods - ??? A few days ago Embody thought UT, not sure if that's changed though

When you look at it like that, it really just seems like no one knows a thing. I fully expect it to be Aggy but the reporting isn't all that obvious.

(To call this a decision or commitment seems ludicrous.)

WR Jordan Hudson previews Sunday decision
BRIAN DOHN

Spoiler

WR Jordan Hudson previews Sunday decision
BRIAN DOHN

5-star CB Domani Jackson talks track, commitment status and more at The Opening Finals

One-time Oklahoma commit Jordan Hudson is set to announce his new college choice Sunday at noon CDT, and there are three schools in contention.

But even after the Garland (Texas) High receiver makes his choice known, he still could wind up taking visits.

"It's SMU, Alabama and Texas," said the 6-foot-1, 180-pound Hudson, who is the No. 14 receiver in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

Hudson made an official visit to SMU in mid June, and hit it off with the coaching staff.

"I like (assistant) coach (Ra'Shaad) Samples, the whole coaching staff," Hudson said. "I played with a couple of the guys coming in. My teammates, if I were to go there, the kinship would be there. Coach Samples, the way he has been recruiting me and going through the process, it's been good, he is just my guy."

Even if Hudson does not pick Alabama, he said he will be on the Tuscaloosa, Ala., campus in the fall. He plans visit for the game against Tennessee, and could add more visits in the fall.

"Coach (Nick) Saban; there is not much else you need to say about that," Hudson said. "It's 'Bama, but coach Saban and the whole coaching staff, they've been recruiting well. They tell me why it would be a good fit to be there."

Hudson originally committed to Oklahoma in July 2020, and he decommitted last month.

Texas changed coaching staff in that time, and the Longhorns have shown a lot of interest in Hudson.

"Texas has been coming after me hard," he said. "I like everything, from the coaches to the players. I know them down there. I have been comfortable with them recruiting-wise and we've built a bond that is something special."

Hudson said he is yet to settle on a time for his Sunday announcement.

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

This isn’t my first rodeo. Been following this stuff since AAS 360’days. 

Let me spell it out….this is 100% about posturing, marketing and timing 

5 star pushes up commit date and tells us he’s not coming. We immediately go to plans 1A and B. We tell our guys to go ahead and pull the trigger so we have momentum in front of a let down. We’re positioned to not look as bad when we lose a head to head as we have two other guys at that position or group in the fold. This is as clear as San Antonio what transpired. 

This is not unique to Texas, this stuff goes on at every school. 

Lulz. This apparently is your 1st rodeo.

• Haha 1

I actually would agree that our two OLs would typically be a reaction to a let down coming and to show momentum. The problem is that we don’t know if the UT coaches are aware of anything at this point. They seem incredibly out of the loop.

Most coaches would have done the two announcements and then leaked Banks destination. At this point, they don’t seem to have any clue where he is going and are likely just trying to keep recruiting him before his commitment. And they don’t seem to be successful with that. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

I actually would agree that our two OLs would typically be a reaction to a let down coming and to show momentum. The problem is that we don’t know if the UT coaches are aware of anything at this point. They seem incredibly out of the loop.

Most coaches would have done the two announcements and then leaked Banks destination. At this point, they don’t seem to have any clue where he is going and are likely just trying to keep recruiting him before his commitment. And they don’t seem to be successful with that. 

I don’t think it’s a fair indictment on the coaches whenever we don’t really know what their plan is or what they think. We are basing everything off of what 9.95ers are saying and while what they say should be considered we ought not consider it as a fact. I mean what we know is third hand at best. Sark hasn’t even allowed his coordinators to have media availability yet, I doubt he’s letting them feed direct info to Mike Roach, not this early at least.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Why can't it become White Boy 4th of July Holiday Weekend? Is that too much to ask?!

Careful now. I’ve read here that invoking race is not cool under any circumstances. If you do some small dicked little clown might complain to mods. Granted the mods will then turn and laugh at him, but hey, it could happen. You’ve been warned. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Predictions on IT’s excuse when he picks Aggy?

I see it going two ways. First, they’ll immediately pivot to the staff cant close, they had it all the way until sark and company dropped the ball in a manner that  Leon Lett thinks is humiliating.  

they will then couch that with the typical platitudes/excuses about how recruiting can change on a dime and that’s the game and it’s our fault for not understanding that clearly. 

so they’ll blame the staff and us. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I see it going two ways. First, they’ll immediately pivot to the staff cant close, they had it all the way until sark and company dropped the ball. 

they will then couch that with the typical platitudes/excuses about how recruiting can change on a dime and that’s the game and it’s our fault for not understanding that clearly. 

so they’ll blame the staff and us. 

They’re absolutely going to go scorched earth on the staff can’t close narrative to avoid admitting they just got completely outdone by the other schools’ 9.95ers, and all this while they swore up and down their source wasn’t a UT staffer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Can Coleman play left tackle?

Do you enjoy being insufferable more than you’d enjoy picking up an elite talent at another position of dire need? I mean, I think we all know the answer, so don’t let any of us interrupt the horse you’ve beaten to death and are now delightedly sodomizing. Carry on. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry just mentioned that Bama is passing on Kevin Coleman in favor of a receiver who balled out at one of their camps. Wonder if Texas is still in contact with Coleman.

Can't say I trust them on this in light of recent events. Bama has 0 WR commits and they're passing on the #1 WR in the country?

That said, on 247 his top 5 are us, Bama (out if true), ASU (gotta be out now), FSU (weird but ok), and Oregon (Furk). Only OV listed in FSU in Sept. If the competition is really FSU and Oregon, gotta feel decent about our chances

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do you enjoy being insufferable more than you’d enjoy picking up an elite talent at another position of dire need? I mean, I think we all know the answer, so don’t let any of us interrupt the horse you’ve beaten to death and are now delightedly sodomizing. Carry on. 

matthew film GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Can't say I trust them on this in light of recent events. Bama has 0 WR commits and they're passing on the #1 WR in the country?

That said, on 247 his top 5 are us, Bama (out if true), ASU (gotta be out now), FSU (weird but ok), and Oregon (Furk). Only OV listed in FSU in Sept. If the competition is really FSU and Oregon, gotta feel decent about our chances

Coleman might be rated that for now, but there’s a good number of other WRs out there that are better than him. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They’re absolutely going to go scorched earth on the staff can’t close narrative to avoid admitting they just got completely outdone by the other schools’ 9.95ers, and all this while they swore up and down their source wasn’t a UT staffer. 

I could be wrong but the first mention of “staff can’t close” was a @closetojumping source the day of or before the Cam announcement. Not a member of IT so not sure if it was floated there first. 

I eagerly await the reaping of dividends from the tier 2 recruiting landscape that our staff is said to be implementing as outlined by ctj in an earlier post.

Perhaps banks falls under tier 1 as an outright mercenary that we can’t or won’t win? If not we were straight up beat by aggy or are not yet able or willing to do what is needed to land players that would fall into category 2. 

Just now, mantis toboggan said:

I could be wrong but the first mention of “staff can’t close” was a @closetojumping source the day of or before the Cam announcement. Not a member of IT so not sure if it was floated there first. 

I eagerly await the reaping of dividends from the tier 2 recruiting landscape that our staff is said to be implementing as outlined by ctj in an earlier post.

Perhaps banks falls under tier 1 as an outright mercenary that we can’t or won’t win? If not we were straight up beat by aggy or are not yet able or willing to do what is needed to land players that would fall into category 2. 

The "can't close" concerns seem pretty real considering Anderson (originally committing in Apr), quick decommits like Stewart and Owens, Banks, Cam, etc. Idk if it's the staff or just that we get a mountain of negative recruiting when we take the lead and have a target on our back.

I wonder that about Banks too. Oregon and Aggy def have one thing in common, and pretty much only that one thing

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

the movie drinking GIF

If the Texas coaches were completely wrong about where they stood with Gatson, Williams and now Banks then fuck it all. 

These are coaches that spent the last couple of years comfortable with getting errybody. Some adjustments may need to be made until we win more.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Given this last week you feel confident going up against a school from Florida and Oregon?

These recruiting losses hurt but we do all need to collectively take a deep breath and appreciate how funny it is to witness our idiot $9.95ers get publicly depantsed again and again and again. If you know less than Brian Perroni, you are really, really bad at your job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Awwww are you upset?

I take it Coleman isn’t playing left tackle?

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Fuck You 1

I've long maintained that the only reason a sane person would choose to go to Aggy is because they were paid a fuck ton of money to do so. It seems we are unwilling to play that game still, maybe these losses will wake people up but I doubt it. Our only hope is that there's enough talent currently on the team or our coaching staff is full of wizards to win enough games quickly enough to reverse this "Texas is a bunch of losers who don't develop anyone" narrative being thrown at us to then be able to recruit at the level we need to compete for championships.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

These recruiting losses hurt but we do all need to collectively take a deep breath and appreciate how funny it is to witness our idiot $9.95ers get publicly depantsed again and again and again. If you know less than Brian Perroni, you are really, really bad at your job. 

This would be the perfect time to post the McConaughey gif from Interstellar

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I've long maintained that the only reason a sane person would choose to go to Aggy is because they were paid a fuck ton of money to do so. It seems we are unwilling to play that game still, maybe these losses will wake people up but I doubt it. Our only hope is that there's enough talent currently on the team or our coaching staff is full of wizards to win enough games quickly enough to reverse this "Texas is a bunch of losers who don't develop anyone" narrative being thrown at us to then be able to recruit at the level we need to compete for championships.

Consigned. We have the talent to win. Hopefully now we have the staff that doesn’t snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory and fuck us.  The embarrassing losses are what hurt. The ones in which we dominate and lose on. A 4th down call 

I would like everyone to take a breath, appreciate that we landed the Bash Bros yesterday, and then consider this. Tomorrow is a national holiday as well as a sunday. Which means the banks are closed, which means aggies check wont clear, which means hes ours. No stress my friend that'll be $9.95.

• Haha 1

I hope the new staff has some killer instinct in it.  I forget the actual quote, but remember Herman saying something to the effect that the goal is to win every game by a point.  I think I screwed that up, but the idea is winning by any margin is OK, no matter the opponent.  He certainly lived that credo, playing down to lesser teams and letting opponents stay close and steal games they shouldn't have.  Gotta change that, punishing teams for 4 quarters.  

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I hope the new staff has some killer instinct in it.  I forget the actual quote, but remember Herman saying something to the effect that the goal is to win every game by a point.  I think I screwed that up, but the idea is winning by any margin is OK, no matter the opponent.  He certainly lived that credo, playing down to lesser teams and letting opponents stay close and steal games they shouldn't have.  Gotta change that, punishing teams for 4 quarters.  

I think the staff has adopted a saying having to do with brakes and gas

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting