Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

58 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Don’t pretend to be a fan, aggy.  Just roll in and be yourself asswipe.

lol ok. I've been lurking/posting intermittently on Shaggy since 2014. You can neg me if you want but there's no reason, none, that Texas should not be 'in' on the Walter Nolens or Bear Alexanders or whoever else is 'for sale.' That's how you win. Was hoping hiring Sark and a bunch of battle tested Bama guys would mean we'd stop getting in our own way but sounds like we've managed to fuck it up again. Only A&M has a real coach this time. I like what Sark did in the transfer portal and am excited for the on-field product - no more 23-17 late victories over 2-9 Kansas teams, hopefully. Obvious new coach and last ten years of shit aside, this recruiting doesn't seem to be what was promised.

Hope I'm wrong. But who was the last straight flip we got from A&M, Omeire? If Harold Perkins makes the call for A&M, not thinking us going 10-2 or whatever is gonna matter. Ditto for Denver Harris. We have to play the game if we want to win. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

14 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Your greatest aggy team since 1939  beat 0-9 Vanderbilt 17-12.  Y'all are really some dawgs.  

and if I am not mistaken, they beat 2 teams that fired their coaches, 2 teams with first year coaches, they put up one offensive TD against probably the worst LSU defense in the past decade. Outside of Bama, the SEC was average at best. Its going to be tougher this year with Prairie View, New Mexico, Kent State and Colorado in non conference. I guess that Lamar, UL Monroe, Midwestern State and Texas State were already booked.

• Hook 'Em 6

lol ok. I've been lurking/posting intermittently on Shaggy since 2014. You can neg me if you want but there's no reason, none, that Texas should not be 'in' on the Walter Nolens or Bear Alexanders or whoever else is 'for sale.' That's how you win. Was hoping hiring Sark and a bunch of battle tested Bama guys would mean we'd stop getting in our own way but sounds like we've managed to fuck it up again. Only A&M has a real coach this time. I like what Sark did in the transfer portal and am excited for the on-field product - no more 23-17 late victories over 2-9 Kansas teams, hopefully. Obvious new coach and last ten years of shit aside, this recruiting doesn't seem to be what was promised.

Hope I'm wrong. But who was the last straight flip we got from A&M, Omeire? If Harold Perkins makes the call for A&M, not thinking us going 10-2 or whatever is gonna matter. Ditto for Denver Harris. We have to play the game if we want to win. 
It seems a lot of people believe coaches are directly involved in what you speak of, but in most cases that isnt true. It's done by people outside direct involvement with the program in most cases...and aggy has a large and very very desperate alumni/fanbase. Anyone 30 or above remembers our last national championship and certainly the last time we played for it. So nowhere near as desperate as aggy and that reflects in our unwillingness to jump in the mudpit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Your greatest aggy team since 1939  beat 0-9 Vanderbilt 17-12.  Y'all are really some dawgs.  

Did you enjoy that game in 2018? I was there, KU was driving to win. And then the next year they almost beat us at home. Herman made every game like that, no matter the opponent. Obnoxious style. I hope Sark mudholes teams so the backups actually get some run that's not Yancy McKnight injury related.

A&M was highly overrated last year (shitty, coo-magnon offense) and IMO we'd have beaten them if we played them (healthy Sam obviously). But they're capitalizing on the finish and the hype and the fact that the bagman game just got easier, not that they weren't doing it before. 

Point taken on the outside people, but that Nick Williams guy that Aggy hired seems like someone we should be hiring. And the AD tweeting out nerdy PowerPoints about how good we are at following the NIL rules continues to give me the impression that despite recent actions to the contrary (the SEC move in particular) we are still content with the "we're texas" shit and making money. If y'all are happy with that, fine. I've lived outside of Texas for a decade now and the football team is the first thing people know about the school. Would like it to not be embarrassing, and getting the for sale recruits helps with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Top247 CB Jaylon Guilbeau locks in his final three schools
STEVE WILTFONG

Spoiler

Top247 CB Jaylon Guilbeau locks in his final three schools
STEVE WILTFONG

Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial Top247 cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau tells 247Sports he is down to three schools in Texas, Texas A&M and TCU.

“They are showing the most interest,” the blue-chipper added.

The 5-foot-11 1/2, 180-pound Guilbeau is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation’s No. 13 cornerback and No. 88 prospect overall. He is a one-time verbal to the Longhorns but reopened the recruiting process in July. He took officials to to see TCU and Texas in June and says he has one more to take to College Station before making a final decision.

Guilbeau gave some highlights regarding each school.

Regarding TCU: “TCU is just a school that shows love to me and I know they will develop me and put me in the NFL! They’re that type of school!”

Regarding Texas: “Texas is just Texas. You know they’re still on my mind and also I want to see what they’re going to do this year. They will be on my mind and also I get a lot of love from them too. Coach Sark is the man.”

Regarding Texas A&M: “Aggies, it’s the SEC, and I like their program. They’ve been showing love too and also they were my ver first offer so they will always be on my mind.”

Guilbeau will play in the All-American Bowl following his senior season.

3 hours ago, bizzle said:

i can only speak for myself, but i've bounced around these boards for 13 years primarily because of the music forum, and the recruiting insights that posters like spider2ybanana and tex pete bring that frankly can't be found anywhere else. 

Not sure what you’re insinuating about me, retard. 

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

Poor little bastard. You know he was second guessing some life decisions as he watched his ass complete its first cycle over his head. 

I played DB in high school and got decleated and rolled up a few times like that by Olinemen coming around the corner.  What's even worse is having the Running Back follow up behind them and knee you in the head when your trying to get up or step on your gut while your already half unconscious...

• Fuck You 1

The Saban “I coach the DB’s” bullshit will continue until Texas does something to stop it. LSU fan has been crying about it for the better part of a decade. 

Hope/pray, depending on your religious affiliation, for a massive/ non- lethal heart attack that forces that little bastard into retirement. 

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Harris Fong'd to Bama'.

Well this is going to start to actually suck extra hard. Because at least when a recruit used picked Bama we didn't have to play them and they would get to piss in A&M cheerios. Now every recruit we lose to Bama, LSU etc is one more recruit we will have to line up against. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Saban “I coach the DB’s” bullshit will continue until Texas does something to stop it. LSU fan has been crying about it for the better part of a decade. 

Hope/pray, depending on your religious affiliation, for a massive/ non- lethal heart attack that forces that little bastard into retirement. 

Does it have to be non-lethal? I don’t pray often but if I’m going to I gotta make it count, nahmsayin?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

On 8/14/2021 at 9:36 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Ignored the correct block to go after the smallest defender. Do not want. 

He turned down #45, who then made the tackle.  I guess Roach was very impressed though that he knocked down a guy that looks like he runs about 155 lbs.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently Roach posted an update today saying he heard schools are trying to negative recruit Austin. Anyone got what he said exactly?

— One subject in recruiting I've been considering as of late is the city of Austin. What used to be a massive advantage in recruiting is slowly leaking away as kids change and the dynamics of the state's capital. In the past, Austin was a great equalizer in some recruitments. If it was close, the trappings of the eclectic Central Texas city could usually push the Longhorns over the top. I'm not a native Austinite, but I've been told by many that the sentiment of Austin changing has been popular for the last twenty years. Austin is a big part of the pitch for Texas and has been going back to previous staffs. For the first time since I've been covering the program, the allure of Austin has been brought into question.

— There are several explanations for this. When recruiting small-town kids, they often feel Austin is simply too big for them. College athletics have also changed to the point where kids spend far more time inside the facility than just about anywhere else. Kids are becoming more introverted preferring to stay in and play video games, and they can do that in just about any town. It should also be mentioned that College Station isn't the same town it was years ago. More people we speak with describe it as a charming college town while Austin can be seen as packed and noisy. It all comes down to what each individual recruit wants, but those desires are changing more. The growth in Austin has its positives and negatives as well. For the first time ever covering recruiting, a parent mentioned the growing number of homeless in the city. While it was only one parent, I did find it interesting as Austin usually gets great reviews from players and parents. Location is only one aspect of a recruiting pitch. If Texas can get back to being a winning program, I doubt it would be a huge issue. These factors are put more under a microscope when the primary factors in recruiting aren't strong pitches. I don't see this as a massive issue right now, but it is something I've been thinking about recently.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

— One subject in recruiting I've been considering as of late is the city of Austin. What used to be a massive advantage in recruiting is slowly leaking away as kids change and the dynamics of the state's capital. In the past, Austin was a great equalizer in some recruitments. If it was close, the trappings of the eclectic Central Texas city could usually push the Longhorns over the top. I'm not a native Austinite, but I've been told by many that the sentiment of Austin changing has been popular for the last twenty years. Austin is a big part of the pitch for Texas and has been going back to previous staffs. For the first time since I've been covering the program, the allure of Austin has been brought into question.

— There are several explanations for this. When recruiting small-town kids, they often feel Austin is simply too big for them. College athletics have also changed to the point where kids spend far more time inside the facility than just about anywhere else. Kids are becoming more introverted preferring to stay in and play video games, and they can do that in just about any town. It should also be mentioned that College Station isn't the same town it was years ago. More people we speak with describe it as a charming college town while Austin can be seen as packed and noisy. It all comes down to what each individual recruit wants, but those desires are changing more. The growth in Austin has its positives and negatives as well. For the first time ever covering recruiting, a parent mentioned the growing number of homeless in the city. While it was only one parent, I did find it interesting as Austin usually gets great reviews from players and parents. Location is only one aspect of a recruiting pitch. If Texas can get back to being a winning program, I doubt it would be a huge issue. These factors are put more under a microscope when the primary factors in recruiting aren't strong pitches. I don't see this as a massive issue right now, but it is something I've been thinking about recently.

Way to project there Roach.

Unless they're banging their PS4, young men will go out to chase young women. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A lot of kids enjoy seeing music acts, going to parties/clubs, restaurants, museums and going to the lake/river and downtown on a weekend, too.    

Edited by Mdhorn

On 8/13/2021 at 3:27 PM, UDontKnow said:

The bolded portions are unadulterated fake news.

Also why the fuck would you come to a Longhorns message board for updates on aggy recruiting?

because it's nice to get the good news on recruiting from your rivals who squirm :D... and it's all free!  Point me to an aggie free site and I might go, although again, I found texags to be tiresome too, and not really as much updated recruiting info as here; plus, I like more than talking in an echo chamber.  Better entertainment here. The entertainment value does have diminishing returns here (due to the same hackneyed "insults") , so I dip in and post on rare occasions, but it's often just enough to read the stuff here written in burnt orange ink, :D no need to interact.

Edited by PHLaggie
  • Fuck You 9

24 minutes ago, Teryor said:

This is such nonsense. When you’re not winning, literally anything can be negatively recruited.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

This.  Anyone who has ever been around a decent number of aggy folk has heard a lot of Austin bashing.  Plenty of them work that into completely unrelated conversations with coworkers and strangers they meet, so I’m sure it’s turned up to 11 for actual negative recruiting. 

Having said that, the homeless situation really is a blight on Austin.  I know plenty of people in the last couple of years who have basically done the same trip the recruits and families get when they visit - stay at the Four Seasons, tour around downtown, Town Lake, and the campus - and most are disappointed because of the scope of the homeless problem, frankly.  It’s pretty unexpected and offputting for anyone from a different part of Texas.  

Maybe we can turn our Surly NIL / recruiting boost efforts to getting the homeless off the streets.  You know, for the greater good … of getting to the playoffs.   Once we’re winning 11 games a year and have recruiting up and running we can let them go back to shanking people outside Eddie V’s, but damnit, we got to clean that shit up until then.

Homelessness is really only shocking to super suburban kids. It’s one of those things other schools can pile on when things are already going bad. That whole article doesn’t exist if we finished in the top 10 last year. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently Roach posted an update today saying he heard schools are trying to negative recruit Austin. Anyone got what he said exactly?

Good to know that there was not one mention of schools negative recruiting from Roach even though that’s what posters on other boards claim (Obviously it happens, but no mention in the article). Reading comprehension continues to be really, really hard for some.

Edited by Hookem2147

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

you’re out of touch, old man. kids today are soft and fragile. they’re not out chasing pussy and flat-out dominating like we used to. they’re weak and weak-minded. college girls have to pursue older men if they want to get laid. there’s an entire thread about this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

you’re out of touch, old man. kids today are soft and fragile. they’re not out chasing pussy and flat-out dominating like we used to. they’re weak and weak-minded. college girls have to pursue older men if they want to get laid. there’s an entire thread about this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOw5ocbGpGY

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is such nonsense. When you’re not winning, literally anything can be negatively recruited.

Homelessness is really only shocking to super suburban kids. It’s one of those things other schools can pile on when things are already going bad. That whole article doesn’t exist if we finished in the top 10 last year. 

repped to get you out of 666 hell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting