Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Mack had more returning production sure. And I forget about some of those younger guys like Jammer. But our QB depth chart in 98 was pretty limited compared to now. Yes, we had Ricky but I already mentioned our current RBs. That Oline wasn’t loaded with NFL guys, but they were solid players. Our WRs included a convert and a small walk on. LB talent limited. Our TEs were simply blockers.

No matter what happened last night players on this Texas roster have made plays and showed flasshes.

98 had some high end talent for sure, but there were holes in the roster as well.

I knew this coach who took over a program so bad that he had to recruit a college professor, a 10.4 hurdler who couldn’t catch a cold, a ninja, an rotc dork, a fat Buddha, a forty year old farmer as the starting qb and a girl for a kicker.  Ended up beating the #1 team in the country…..who happened to be Texas

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I knew this coach who took over a program so bad that he had to recruit a college professor, a 10.4 hurdler who couldn’t catch a cold, a ninja, an rotc dork, a fat Buddha, a forty year old farmer as the starting qb and a girl for a kicker.  Ended up beating the #1 team in the country…..who happened to be Texas

Yeah, but that coach was a straight arrow.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I would let Kathy Ireland kick for me anytime 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

I was at the TCU game yesterday.  Cal’s dogshit offense put 32 on them and it should’ve been over 40 if their coaches could rub 2 brain cells together.  Their secondary outside of LT Jr sucks and they barely put pressure on Cal’s QB.  Their D is not very good.

Evans is a fuckbeast but take your “TCU is going to kick our ass” bullshit somewhere else

TCU always gives us problems - go ahead and chalk that up as a L unless something miraculous happens. 

Stanford got mauled by K State 24-7.

K State snuck by Southern Illinois 31-23 (a TD with 2 minutes remaining sealed the win).

Then Stanford destroyed USC, about as bad as we lost to Arkansas (it was 42-13, before 2 garbage-time USC touchdowns made it 42-28). 

You can't make snap judgments on 1 game. 

What to make of Stanford? Is USC worse than us?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/11/2021 at 4:55 PM, JesusSweatDuck said:

Are we battling with aggy on any offensive recruits? This game should help show Jimbo is a moron

On 9/11/2021 at 4:57 PM, texifornia said:

Brenan Thompson, some 2023s

On 9/11/2021 at 5:00 PM, BornAndRaised said:

Hopefully he's watching this one.

I finally brought myself to revisit this thread, and these are the first 3 posts I read. I may call it quits for the night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Stanford got mauled by K State 24-7.

K State snuck by Southern Illinois 31-23 (a TD with 2 minutes remaining sealed the win).

Then Stanford destroyed USC, about as bad as we lost to Arkansas (it was 42-13, before 2 garbage-time USC touchdowns made it 42-28). 

What to make of Stanford? Is USC worse than us?

To__ Orlan_o

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But recruiting is what you have to have to compete for playoff. Look at the teams constantly in it then look at their recruiting rankings over the years. They correlate.  

Texas is doing decent here when looking at the Blue Chip Ratio. Not Bama at their hilarious 84% Blue Trip Ratio but also not USC at 53%

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Blue-chip-ratio-college-football-2021-16-teams-who-can-win-national-title-166530729/

10429608.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I mean do y'all really think these kids make their decisions on single game results. Some of you are more irrationally emotional than teenage kids. Still got a ways to go this season and I still think we'll hit 10 wins. Recruiting will be fine. 

this, and it's fucking annoying

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

this, and it's fucking annoying

While I agree, I do tend to delineate between those posting during/immediately after the game and those posting the next day. The former is usually just as drunk as a teenager and not necessarily as irrational. Although the two aren't mutually exclusive.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Texas is doing decent here when looking at the Blue Chip Ratio. Not Bama at their hilarious 84% Blue Trip Ratio but also not USC at 53%

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Blue-chip-ratio-college-football-2021-16-teams-who-can-win-national-title-166530729/

10429608.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Our talent on the OL is lower than just about everyone else on that list. Miami and USC also have a hard time getting quality guys on the OL, but they sign highly rated guys on the DL and at linebacker more often than we do.

Recruiting is not the main problem. We have annual top 10 classes yet have been a top 25 program. If we could actually deliver top 10 results, the recruiting would automatically get even better, likely top 5. Sure, there are other things we can improve to help recruiting which helps win, but imo winning comes first

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

A lot of blaming the OL or Card talk going on, for a team that had the worst offensive game plan we’ve seen since Sean Watson. 

the same basic OL mauled KSU and Colorado to the tune of over 600 rushing yards, 600 passing yards, and more than 120 points to finish the season last year. players have to be put in a position to succeed and the Longhorns were not.

there is more than enough talent on this team to win, much less not be completely humiliated by an also-ran shitty ass Arkansas team. Sarkisian got absolutely humbled by Odom. 

100% accurate.  This game was a bigger indication of this coaching staff than the players.  We've played UGA, LSU, and Mizzou in the last 3 years.  UGA and LSU had much bigger and better lineman than Arky.  Our teams beat two of those teams convincingly and played LSU about as well as anyone on their schedule that year.  At no point in time were we overmatched on the lines like we were against Arkansas.  We got absolutely man handled and out matched.  Our schemes were terrible, our play calling was terrible, and our personnel on the field was wrong.  Worst of all, there was absolutely no fire, sense of urgency, or physicality from this team.  That is on the fucking coaches.  We didn't all of the sudden become weak on the lines.  I'm embarrassed of our performance and our coaches need to look at themselves in the mirror.  I honestly think we fucked up with the Sark hire.   Atleast Herman's teams would show up in big games.  With everything on the line with going to the SEC and us having a chance to show recruits that Texas is the place to be, we decided to lay a big turd on a primetime game.  This loss is going to set the program back.  Good luck convincing elite talent to come play for this shit show.

The coaches need to go back to a 4 man DL.  It worked last year and we need to find a way to get Collins back on the field.  In addition, we need to put OL that can actually play in starting roles.  Okafor needs to be benched yesterday, Jones needs to be moved from LT, and Majors needs a few steroid shots to get his strength up to handle bigger NTs.  This line needs to be Karic, Angilau, Majors, Conner, Kerstetter.  They need to run the same run plays that this OL succeeded with at the end of the year.  Casey also needs to start.  Card showed no fire, no hustle, no emotion.  Teams take on the personality of their leaders.  It's why are teams played hard with Sam leading.  Casey has a huge chip on his shoulder and is decisive.  This team will rally around him.  He's also older and will be able to handle a hostile environment.  Card completely folded and looked lost.  Dicker needs to never punt again.  We have 2 guys trained by the aussies.  They can at least catch a freaking snap.

That failure on Saturday is 100% on the coaches.  Are we Bama good, hell no.  But by no means should we have been dominated like we were against a team that has had 3 fucking losing seasons in a row.  For an offensive genius Sark is supposed to be, that was a Shawn Watson level performance I witnessed.  I'm stocking up the shelves because this will be a long 3 years before we fire him.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

A lot of blaming the OL or Card talk going on, for a team that had the worst offensive game plan we’ve seen since Sean Watson. 

the same basic OL mauled KSU and Colorado to the tune of over 600 rushing yards, 600 passing yards, and more than 120 points to finish the season last year. players have to be put in a position to succeed and the Longhorns were not.

there is more than enough talent on this team to win, much less not be completely humiliated by an also-ran shitty ass Arkansas team. Sarkisian got absolutely humbled by Odom. 

Then you go read the back off ledge of the OL thread and you see players just completely whiffing assignments and were the hole would be if they completely didn't shit the bed on those assignments and it looks like it may be players 60 coaches 40 of the blame.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Then you go read the back off ledge of the OL thread and you see players just completely whiffing assignments and were the hole would be if they completely didn't shit the bed on those assignments and it looks like it may be players 60 coaches 40 of the blame.

If the same players are repeatedly whiffing on blocks that is on the coaching staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

100% coaches is a stretch. For example, Card's numbers are shit (8-15, 61 yards) but that includes multiple drops and missed throws to open WRs. If Card is accurate and WRs catch the ball when it hits their hands, those numbers are more like 12-15 for 161 yards which is highly efficient. That is on the players.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not if it's the same 1-2 players.....that's on players but it's up to the coaching staff to get them better or replace.

Also, is anyone surprised that Okafor is whiffing on assignments again this season? This is who he has always been. Everyone on this board already knew that Jones was not cut out to start at LT this season. It's up to the coaching staff to get the optimal combo of OL on the field and they have failed at that so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

Also, is anyone surprised that Okafor is whiffing on assignments again this season? This is who he has always been. Everyone on this board already knew that Jones was not cut out to start at LT this season. It's up to the coaching staff to get the optimal combo of OL on the field and they have failed at that so far.

I'd be interested to see how Jones does if they put Angilau at LG and Conner at RG. If he continues to suck put Karic in at LT. 

36 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Game plans look bad when OLs perform like shit. Freshman QB at his first road game in an amped rival's stadium looks bad when the OL performs like shit. Card having happy feet and unable to hit when he did have pass protection is because his OL failed so much early on he didn't trust the pocket when it was there.

• Hook 'Em 3

The coaches definitely need to take a step back and totally re-evaluate their strategy on the OL and run game. No more forcing a power run game when our OL roster doesn't support it. Hopefully this was a wake up call to do so.

Defense did ok until they got gassed, especially considering how many drives Ark got bc of our offense. Also 3 short fields (Dicker drop, Card fumble, 4th and 1 stop). 20 missed tackles though per Babers. That's killer. Definitely a bad game but I'm not ready to totally abandon ship yet.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Angilau to center. Majors needs to spend the rest of this season in the weight room.

Majors is undersized but we should be able to scheme around that by giving him help. I'd like to see what we look like with Karic at LT and Jones moved inside to OG over Okafor.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Majors is undersized but we should be able to scheme around that by giving him help. I'd like to see what we look like with Karic at LT and Jones moved inside to OG over Okafor.

Not to discount Majors probably needs to develop more strength, but he simply didn't follow the script on plays. If you haven't checked out the OL thread on the counter play, watch it. Instead of picking up his man in front of him at the snap he goes left running into Okafor. Play looks like a complete clustfuck in real time and it was, all because of Majors not doing what he was supposed to do. It begs the question though, was he having mental errors due to pressure, much like a freshman QB might? Centers have a lot on their plate, much like QB's. When one or two OL in the unit don't execute properly, it's easy to say they're getting manhandled, when in reality they had a breakdown in their assignments or technique rather than strength being the issue. Having said that, I've no doubt Majors has work to do in that department.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

Not to discount Majors probably needs to develop more strength, but he simply didn't follow the script on plays. If you haven't checked out the OL thread on the counter play, watch it. Instead of picking up his man in front of him at the snap he goes left running into Okafor. Play looks like a complete clustfuck in real time and it was, all because of Majors not doing what he was supposed to do. It begs the question though, was he having mental errors due to pressure, much like a freshman QB might? Centers have a lot on their plate, much like QB's. When one or two OL in the unit don't execute properly, it's easy to say they're getting manhandled, when in reality they had a breakdown in their assignments or technique rather than strength being the issue. Having said that, I've no doubt Majors has work to do in that department.

Yes I saw the thread and Majors definitely fucked up on that one play. That said it's one play out a whole game of OL fuck ups, I'd be curious to see how each OL graded out over the entire game.

Just now, elguapo said:

Yes I saw the thread and Majors definitely fucked up on that one play. That said it's one play out a whole game of OL fuck ups, I'd be curious to see how each OL graded out over the entire game.

Agreed, and I'd be interested how the coach's grade that, not PFF or other outsiders who may not know what the play was supposed to look like. Fat chance of that though.

51 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not if it's the same 1-2 players.....that's on players but it's up to the coaching staff to get them better or replace.

Eh. I did a re-watch of the OL against ULL last week but didn’t post anything because it was so awful. The whole OL has been consistently fucking up. Jones and Okafor were the worst against ULL, but it’s been a common theme for all of them. That’s on the coaching. I’m extremely disappointed in Flood’s coaching right now. He had all offseason to coach them up and the whole unit is a fucking mess. That’s not going to magically get better in a couple weeks. 

33 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Yeah, I think this is the best personnel move on the OL. Move Karic to OT and let Jones, Okafor and whoever else battle for LG.  Karic showed he’s good last year. I don’t see any way he’s not one of our best 5. I think Flood’s not playing him because he doesn’t fit Flood’s preferred style, but Flood needs to recognize who his best players are and make the system work for them. He doesn’t have the luxury of playing his favorite OL types of they’re not the best 5. 

Majors was better than Jones and Okafor against ULL, so benching him seems too reactionary IMO. Plus, that requires moving Angilau to Center when we don’t have a good backup Guard option. Conner got some snaps at RG for Angilau against ULL, and he does not look anywhere near ready to play, and Imade is supposedly the other backup guard and we all know he sucks.  Majors is better right now than Conner or Imade, not to mention that you might be weakening two spots if you move Angilau to Center and he’s not good there, a la Kerstetter last year.  And considering Angilau has never played Center before, that seems pretty likely if you try to switch him mid season. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5

21 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

It is what it is, we got hit hard in the mouth and everyone froze. It happens to new teams. 

The biggest thing I’ve wanted from this staff (or any staff!) is noticeable in season improvement. Failure is often the best impetus for growth, if you have the right mindset. TCU redemption is right around the corner if you want it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Agreed, and I'd be interested how the coach's grade that, not PFF or other outsiders who may not know what the play was supposed to look like. Fat chance of that though.

I'm hesitant to move on from Majors at this point since our running game really took off last season with him starting at C (334 & 303 rushing vs KSU and CU respectively). Majors and Karic have shown they can be part of a successful OL unit. Agree completely with @Burt Macklin that Flood has been a big disappointment in that he's been stubborn about going with his preferred OL "type" instead of the players that give us the best opportunity to be successful as an OL unit. This is the same kind of shit we bitched about with Herman his first season.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jones and okafor are our worst OL so we call a 4th and 1 run right behind them. Super. 

That was so terrible. Sark had a ton of great play calls ready for ULL when we needed to convert and then he calls that against Arky.  Unreal.  Sark was visibly shaken on the sideline when he saw how uniformly we were getting our ass whooped, but there's no excuse for such a shitty play call that clearly never had a chance.

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'm hesitant to move on from Majors at this point since our running game really took off last season with him starting at C (334 & 303 rushing vs KSU and CU respectively). Majors and Karic have shown they can be part of a successful OL unit. Agree completely with @Burt Macklin that Flood has been a big disappointment in that he's been stubborn about going with his preferred OL "type" instead of the players that give us the best opportunity to be successful as an OL unit. This is the same kind of shit we bitched about with Herman his first season.

My main takeaway from the OL rewatch of ULL was that OZ and toss plays were where our OL was at its best (and it wasn't close), and I expected Sark/Flood to recognize this and focus the run game more on those concepts. Instead, they called them less. To @golfclap's point, it's very clear that is about the only thing we can execute, and we've seen last year and this year it works. It's a huge failure by the coaching staff not to design the offense around those run concepts.  Majors, especially, is absolutely elite at helping the backside guard secure his reach block while still getting up field and taking out a LB.  He's the reason OZ took off last year.  Right now, Sark and Flood are trying to run the entire Bama offense instead of recognizing our personnel limitations.  It's disappointing, and they need to take the next two weeks to rethink personnel and offensive identity. They already should have done this, but if they roll the same stuff out against Rice and Tech, it's going to be a very, very bad sign.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That was so terrible. Sark had a ton of great play calls ready for ULL when we needed to convert and then he calls that against Arky.  Unreal.  Sark was visibly shaken on the sideline when he saw how uniformly we were getting our ass whooped, but there's no excuse for such a shitty play call that clearly never had a chance.

My main takeaway from the OL rewatch of ULL was that OZ and toss plays were where our OL was at its best (and it wasn't close), and I expected Sark/Flood to recognize this and focus the run game more on those concepts. Instead, they called them less. To @golfclap's point, it's very clear that is about the only thing we can execute, and we've seen last year and this year it works. It's a huge failure by the coaching staff not to design the offense around those run concepts.  Majors, especially, is absolutely elite at helping the backside guard secure his reach block while still getting up field and taking out a LB.  He's the reason OZ took off last year.  Right now, Sark and Flood are trying to run the entire Bama offense instead of recognizing our personnel limitations.  It's disappointing, and they need to take the next two weeks to rethink personnel and offensive identity. They already should have done this, but if they roll the same stuff out against Rice and Tech, it's going to be a very, very bad sign.  

Sark is a big, "we run our stuff" guy. What makes him different is the way he dresses it up. He wasn't dressing up much on Saturday. He was clearly rattled, faking composure as he squatted on the sideline.

They need to reassess what parts of the offense the team can actually execute with consistency. 

So basically Flood was good when he was coaching a bunch of Alex Leatherwoods but now, not so much? I'm starting to see a theme with the coaches that came from Bama.

To bring this back to recruiting just a little bit, what the fuck is up with Tyler Johnson? Does he have an injury that I missed the news on? Otherwise being completely buried on the depth chart behind a bunch of guys that aren't very good isn't real promising. IIRC, he's the highest rated recruit currently on our roster by a healthy margin.

55 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah that reeked of “this was always good for at least a yard last year” instead of “what call gets THIS group a yard”. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Great analysis on the o-line issues. I am hoping that switching to Casey indicates that he has learned he can’t go to war with the army he wants, and is course correcting to go to war with the army he actually has. Really would like to see Karic get some run against Rice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting