Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

29 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Most people wanted White Boy Reese dropped from his recruiting class because of his drug arrest. Kid came here and didn't do shit on the football team but he did get into med school. Who knows where he ends up had he gotten processed. All I'm saying his give these kids a bit of grace. And yeah sure some of them will squander the opportunity but I bet in most of that cases there is a larger conversation to be had.

I actually label you guys that want to cut bait on kids as soon as there is a hint they aren't choir boys as the holier than thou crowd but whatever. There can be a lot of circumstances that we aren't privy to regarding these situations. 

Fuck Javonne Shepherd. That guy was a waste of time in his recruitment and he won’t amount to shit. His problem is no one ever told him the straight truth. 

32 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, I don’t think very many people, if any, are saying to cut bait on the kid. I think most are pointing to the statistics regarding these situations that say you shouldn’t count on the kid to be productive. Those same people probably have reservations about Hudson as well. Kids that commit to more than two schools tend to have poor outcomes as well. As prospects, they look fantastic, but the reality in these situations often lags expectations significantly.

No one is saying cut bait. I’m just saying we should be realistic about the bust potential for a player that is waving red flags with both hands. This happened with Blue and the Texas staff recruited Miller accordingly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"it was just that certain people were making it very hard to and my love for the game was fading day by day, so I chose to seek my❤️

So he decided to see his love, playing football, by .... not playing football.

I'm sure he's talented and everything but we see this every year with players who think they're God's gift to football, shoot themselves in the dick, and are never heard from again.  And now he's worried about what dumbasses are saying about him on social media.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Fuck Javonne Shepherd. That guy was a waste of time in his recruitment and he won’t amount to shit. His problem is no one ever told him the straight truth. 

Is he still at Butler Community College? His problem, like that of many young men his age, is that he's not smart enough or sophisticated enough to recognize the truth when it's told to him.

Mark Twain said that a man who holds a cat by the tail learns a lesson he can lean in not other way.  Every year we see countless young men prove that Mark Twain was right. Very, very few examples of him being wrong but every single young man thinks that HE is the one.   Life's a hard teacher. She gives you the exam without giving you any of the test questions in advance.

• Hook 'Em 1

My old school brain says fuck this premadonna bitch Stewart

My current who gives a fuck brain says whatever. Sucks but it is what it is. Really just don’t give much of a shit anymore.

Thanks Obama 

Sorry no CR

Edited by Dilligas
Just trying to be funny
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Yep, children of wealthy parents always turn out fine, because money.

I just fail to see how a UT football scholarship is what was needed for him to be saved. He could’ve easily gone to prison for what he did, like most kids that get caught doing what he was doing. His status as an athlete & his wealthy family saved him from that, if that alone is not a kick in the ass to turn your life around I don’t know what would be. But he’s far from the only wasted scholarship we’ve had lately, so what’s it really matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Most people wanted White Boy Reese dropped from his recruiting class because of his drug arrest. Kid came here and didn't do shit on the football team but he did get into med school. Who knows where he ends up had he gotten processed. All I'm saying his give these kids a bit of grace. And yeah sure some of them will squander the opportunity but I bet in most of that cases there is a larger conversation to be had.

I actually label you guys that want to cut bait on kids as soon as there is a hint they aren't choir boys as the holier than thou crowd but whatever. There can be a lot of circumstances that we aren't privy to regarding these situations. 

Sort of katfkid?

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I just fail to see how a UT football scholarship is what was needed for him to be saved. He could’ve easily gone to prison for what he did, like most kids that get caught doing what he was doing. His status as an athlete & his wealthy family saved him from that, if that alone is not a kick in the ass to turn your life around I don’t know what would be. But he’s far from the only wasted scholarship we’ve had lately, so what’s it really matter.

Of course he was a wasted scholarship and that was the only intelligent part of your original statement.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Beast said:

Who gives a shit? Just sign the kid and watch him have 7 receptions, 100 yards and 3 TDS against OU. Bring all the mercenaries we can get. 

It worked out great for OU recently also.

Trejan Bridges and Seth McGowan were good for about 300 total yards from scrimmage over three scholarship years each. They were bad at football and even worse at crime.

Great return on investment there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, quigley said:

It worked out great for OU recently also.

Trejan Bridges and Seth McGowan were good for about 300 total yards from scrimmage over three scholarship years each. They were bad at football and even worse at crime.

Great return on investment there.

Good at crime just bad at getting away with it.  If that doesn’t screen OU I don’t know what does.  

SIAP:

By: Justin and Eric

Inside Texas with the latest on quarterback commit Maalik Murphy, top target Evan Stewart, and cornerback Denver Harris from the 2022 cycle. Enjoy the evening news.

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA) - 2022:

UT's quarterback commit is already a celebrity in Austin. Each time he visits the City of Austin, he's bombarded with photo and autograph requests. And he loves it.

The 6-foot-4.5, 225-pound signal-caller was on-hand for the 70-35 curb-stomping of Texas Tech at DKR last Saturday. He arrived in Austin on Friday in time to watch Austin Westlake dismantle Del Valle. He has a right clavicle injury that's keeping him out of action currently.

We caught up with his QB trainer, Danny Hernandez, as they headed back to California.

"We had a great time," said Hernandez. "I like the direction this program is headed. Feels like a great culture and that (UT players) are bought-in."

Murphy was able to speak with the coaches before and after the game, and is convinced Texas is the right move.

As for his class, don't be surprised if Steve Sarkisian is looking at a second quarterback in this cycle, whether it's high school, junior college, or the transfer portal.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - 2022:

The On3 No. 4 overall prospect for 2022 (99 score) announced on Tuesday he's opting out of his senior year at Liberty High School in Frisco.

One of the top targets at wide receiver for Texas has had a tumultuous senior season. It began with a suspension after missing a team meeting due to visiting his mother in Memphis followed by another issue regarding missing team activities.

He returned but we've heard he violated another team policy recently that put his season in jeopardy. Instead of fighting it, Stewart decided today he’ll skip the remainder of the season and focus on school and preparing for college.

Texas is fully aware of Stewart's journey and are still in pursuit.

While Stewart has some maturing to do, he isn’t seen as being a bad kid.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Galena Park, TX) - 2022:

The On3 No. 12 overall prospect for 2022 (98 score) recently tripped to Austin for the UT-Tech game. Now, he's looking at a return trip.

The five-star corner is considering another visit to UT on October 16th, a date that's quickly becoming important for UT's Class of 2022.

One thing that squarely favors the Horns was how close, in proximity, Harris was on Saturday evening. That quick turn around from the ATX to Galena Park really hits home with Team Harris. The ability to leave for college and be able to get back to the house in a timely fashion really resonated with Harris and his family.

Harris is a major priority for the Texas staff and they've made that known since arriving in January. Alabama and LSU are the biggest threats, but the Horns have positioned themselves nicely down the stretch.

Another QB in that class would guarantee a current QB is transferring.

Would be huge to get Denver back in for the 16th since that weekend is shaping up to be a who's who.

Hopefully in October/early November we get clarity on the SEC move.

• Hook 'Em 4

Gerry Hamilton

Lander Barton gives the Texas Longhorns visit high marks

On300 No. 176 Lander Barton made an official visit to Texas last weekend, and gave the entire experience in Austin high marks.

On300 linebacker Lander Barton (Salt Lake City Brighton) is fresh off an official visit to the Texas Longhorns. And the 4 star prospect could not have been more impressed leaving Austin.

“The game environment stood out,” Barton told On3. “That stadium. It’s a crazy big stadium. It was a great game day environment. Austin is a great city,”

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound long-armed prospect didn’t hesitate giving every part of the trip high marks.

“It was an all around good trip. I was there for football. It was all business. Obviously, the offense putting up 70 points on Texas Tech was impressive. I liked some of Coach PK and Coach Choate’s scheme, too.”

The main goal of Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and the coaching staff was making sure Barton, a Utah legacy, felt at ease in Austin.

“Coach Sarkisian told me the most important aspect of the visit was feeling comfortable at Texas. He didn’t pressure me, but he told me how much they wanted me. And that they feel like I’m a good fit.”

So that begs the question. Did the No. 176 ranked prospect in the On300 feel that comfort and fit on the visit?

“Yes, I could see myself at Texas. I just really felt comfortable there. I didn’t have anything negative about the visit.”

With both parents being former athletes at Utah, along with three siblings, making the decision to go a different direction could prove to be difficult. Barton’s father, Paul Barton, relayed a very important message to his son at the end of the visit.

“My parents both really liked Austin and Texas. In our last meeting with Coach Sarkisian, my dad said I had his blessing to attend Texas if that’s what I want to do.”

The younger brother of NFL LB Cody Barton and NFL OT Jackson Barton still has plenty of recruitment in front of him. He will make an official visit to Utah October 16 and Oregon October 30. The possibility remains of a final visit to either UCLA or USC. Michigan hosted Barton September 11.

• Hook 'Em 9

36 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I mean, the odds of keeping all of Card, Thompson, Wright, Lourd isn't high. Add in Murphy needing a couple of years of development and you are potentially in a position of needing to find bodies for your room.

Next year they are all in on Arch, so that won't be a 2 QB class.

My guess is that we see Lourd portal somewhere where he gets on scholarship.

My hope is this is just covering the bases on what may happen?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

I mean, the odds of keeping all of Card, Thompson, Wright, Lourd isn't high. Add in Murphy needing a couple of years of development and you are potentially in a position of needing to find bodies for your room.

My thoughts is Card would be the transfer guy, especially if Casey continues to perform.

• Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

That would be a weird choice.  Kid is Texas legacy as much as anyone could possibly be.  He had Ivy League offers but chose to walk on at Texas.

Card would be the obvious choice assuming Casey's great play continues.  Casey could have two more years after this one - and I don 't see Card sticking around if he's not the expected starter going into next season.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That would be a weird choice.  Kid is Texas legacy as much as anyone could possibly be.  He had Ivy League offers but chose to walk on at Texas.

Card would be the obvious choice assuming Casey's great play continues.  Casey could have two more years after this one - and I don 't see Card sticking around if he's not the expected starter going into next season.

Have to think it’s Card. Murphy’s 2-3 years away from being even close to ready, so They’re probably looking for better backup options for next year. 

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I thought Casey only had one year after this one?

No. He has 2 more years after this if he wants. He has 6 years total eligibility due to RS and Covid year. Not sure if he’s stay that long, but he’s on the smaller side and has a weak arm so he’ll probably never be an NFL favorite even if he puts up big numbers, so it’s not out fo the question. 

• Hook 'Em 6

12 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

I was about to say kids like Worthy never do. Jim has to be sick. 

Just wait until you get a load of what the NIL does to kids that "never hit the portal" hitting the portal. 

11 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

throw gorilla GIF

I think we're all pleased that you're at least saying the quiet part out loud about your posting.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Is he still at Butler Community College? His problem, like that of many young men his age, is that he's not smart enough or sophisticated enough to recognize the truth when it's told to him.

Mark Twain said that a man who holds a cat by the tail learns a lesson he can lean in not other way.  Every year we see countless young men prove that Mark Twain was right. Very, very few examples of him being wrong but every single young man thinks that HE is the one.   Life's a hard teacher. She gives you the exam without giving you any of the test questions in advance.

Something tells me that this isn't exactly how Twain said it...

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

His dad literally makes over $1 million a year. He would’ve been fine in life. Waste of a scholarship for 4 years.

Who gives a shit. We didn't have top end talent beating down our door for that fucking scholarship anyway, and considering the number of guys who transferred it really doesn't matter. What, dying to have another Max Merrill level talent on the roster instead of Reese? Stupid hill to die on, here. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

SIAP:

Would be huge to get Denver back in for the 16th since that weekend is shaping up to be a who's who.

Hopefully in October/early November we get clarity on the SEC move.

I read it as more the staff assumes a QB (card) is likely transferring, so they'd better shore up the QB room.

• Hook 'Em 5

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Have to think it’s Card. Murphy’s 2-3 years away from being even close to ready, so They’re probably looking for better backup options for next year. 

No. He has 2 more years after this if he wants. He has 6 years total eligibility due to RS and Covid year. Not sure if he’s stay that long, but he’s on the smaller side and has a weak arm so he’ll probably never be an NFL favorite even if he puts up big numbers, so it’s not out fo the question. 

At first I was thinking a 6th year was very unlikely, but maybe his NIL money will be good enough to stay.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Something tells me that this isn't exactly how Twain said it...

Who gives a shit. We didn't have top end talent beating down our door for that fucking scholarship anyway, and considering the number of guys who transferred it really doesn't matter. What, dying to have another Max Merrill level talent on the roster instead of Reese? Stupid hill to die on, here. 

I went on to say it didn’t matter. Plenty of other misses. I believe Leitao was even kind enough to move on after 4 years. Kirk Johnson, John Burt were wastes for 5 seasons. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I read it as more the staff assumes a QB (card) is likely transferring, so they'd better shore up the QB room.

Also with the signing limit probably going up soon and the number of QBs transferring going up and up I think we’ll see programs try to take two more often just so they don’t get stuck without a decent backup.

Guys like Mac Jones/Wright hopefully are extremely important. Having a solid backup for 3 straight years is incredibly valuable. 

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

At first I was thinking a 6th year was very unlikely, but maybe his NIL money will be good enough to stay.

I also think it just makes the most sense. The odds of Thompson succeeds in the NFL are fairly low ans being the starting QB at Texas when it’s winning is one of the best spots in all of sports.

No reason to throw away a year of that so you can be a third string QB that year., especially when NIL money will be significant for him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I went on to say it didn’t matter. Plenty of other misses. I believe Leitao was even kind enough to move on after 4 years. Kirk Johnson, John Burt were wastes for 5 seasons. 

If you have to gripe, it shouldn't be players, it should be multiple staffs that can't coach kids up or move kids out. Hopefully that problem is solved now, but who knows. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Also with the signing limit probably going up soon and the number of QBs transferring going up and up I think we’ll see programs try to take two more often just so they don’t get stuck without a decent backup.

Guys like Mac Jones/Wright hopefully are extremely important. Having a solid backup for 3 straight years is incredibly valuable. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I also think it just makes the most sense. The odds of Thompson succeeds in the NFL are fairly low ans being the starting QB at Texas when it’s winning is one of the best spots in all of sports.

No reason to throw away a year of that so you can be a third string QB that year., especially when NIL money will be significant for him. 

This is a Burnt Ends play, at some point. Folks overlook the QB room because they assume the QBs will get paid, but there is extreme value in paying the backups and other folks to stay the fuck put. But I'm not sure folks, particularly most ADs and most coaching staffs have figured out all the ways to weaponize and leverage NIL stuff yet. They will, eventually. And then a year after that Texas will figure it out too. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My thoughts is Card would be the transfer guy, especially if Casey continues to perform.

yeah Casey staying one more year and card transferring is probably our best path forward. That gives Malik a year to develop, wright another year, and a transfer with multiple years of eligibility.

12 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

For someone who is unlikely to have much of an NFL career, Casey could really galvanize his financial future exhausting his eligibility and racking in NIL profits. Done correctly, most Power 5 QBs could be set for life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

yeah Casey staying one more year and card transferring is probably our best path forward. That gives Malik a year to develop, wright another year, and a transfer with multiple years of eligibility.

You'll have to kidnap Wright and drive him somewhere to get him off the team. He grew up in Austin, his dad went to UT etc etc

Just treat the kid with some respect in the QB room, let him get in during blowouts and he isn't going anywhere.

I would be shocked if he ever leaves UT.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

You'll have to kidnap Wright and drive him somewhere to get him off the team. He grew up in Austin, his dad went to UT etc etc

Just treat the kid with some respect in the QB room, let him get in during blowouts and he isn't going anywhere.

I would be shocked if he ever leaves UT.

sorry didn't mean to insinuate wright was transferring, rather that to replace Cardwith a guy who had multiple years left

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you have to gripe, it shouldn't be players, it should be multiple staffs that can't coach kids up or move kids out. Hopefully that problem is solved now, but who knows. 

I do think sark knows what he’s doing more than Herman did. Hopefully he knows what he’s doing with Maalik. Fwiw I think he’s smart enough to not pull a Frost/Adrian Martinez situation. Frost wanted so badly to prove how smart he was by finding this lower-key QB recruit, that he stuck with him even when it was obvious he wasn’t going to be a great QB.

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a Burnt Ends play, at some point. Folks overlook the QB room because they assume the QBs will get paid, but there is extreme value in paying the backups and other folks to stay the fuck put. But I'm not sure folks, particularly most ADs and most coaching staffs have figured out all the ways to weaponize and leverage NIL stuff yet. They will, eventually. And then a year after that Texas will figure it out too. 

That is an excellent point.  While the starter will certainly get taken care of - you still need a robust QB room.   Someone needs to look at sponsoring the QB room.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

What if Casey gets drafted this year and Card takes over next season and then we have Maalik and Arch in waiting. 

If Casey keeps playing how he's playing there's a really good chance he ends up in the top 4 rounds of the draft. 

If Casey gets drafted before the 6th round, ill eat my hat. He's likely sub 6' with an arm weaker than Colt's. He's a really good athlete for the position though.

I'll be thrilled if he sticks on a team when his playing days at Texas are done.

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

What if Casey gets drafted this year and Card takes over next season and then we have Malik and Arch in waiting. 

If Casey keeps playing how he's playing there's a really good chance he ends up in the top 4 rounds of the draft. 

Absolutely unlikely, unless he starts putting up Kyler Murray numbers. NFL is a metrics driven league, they're not drafting a 6'1 200 lb weak armed QB in the top 4 rounds, especially with 1 year of experience. He's similar to Chase Daniel, with 25% of the body of experience, who went undrafted. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

Inalways got the impression that Casey and his dad think Casey has an NFL  future. And that continuing how hes playing and being in contention for post season awards would see him make the jump. 

Hes in his 4th year  and hes already a year older than his class group. 

Im sure hes tired of tgis school shit and ready to get to the league asap and show all yall. 

Whether that is a real possibility or not. 

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

What if Casey gets drafted this year and Card takes over next season and then we have Malik and Arch in waiting. 

What if rainbows were made of llamas in pants?

Am I doing this right?

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean...I am as happy with Casey as one could be through 2 starts, but he isn't getting drafted. He cannot drive the ball downfield and does not have NFL caliber arm strength. He is a fine college QB and by all accounts a good kid, but he ain't getting picked in the 1st four rounds.

• Hook 'Em 1

NFL is a copycat league and Casey could be viewed as a poor mans Kyler. I could see him getting drafted mid to late rounds if he keeps up this performance. I mean Sam was a 6th rounder. Idk if Casey would leave for that but he has graduated and probably wouldn’t improve his stock much by staying.

Also, idk if a 2nd 2022 QB has much to do with Card. Just like MM, another 22 won’t contribute next year anyway. Prob more about long term roster management. 

An incoming transfer would be more related to Card, but also just as applicable to Casey going pro. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting