Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Thomas' father just died, that is why he has been out of school in order to take care of him. I don't think it is fair to write him off just yet. Don't you feel like an asshole now?

obviously it was another guy i was thinking about being away for personal reasons a while back.

i am not writing him off at all, just knew that someone had said he wasn't with the team at all this fall.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:21 AM, Chuckie Finster said:

What do you get out of this?  I keep asking you and you never respond.  

You intentionally leave out the QB change and make no note of the fact that we were fucking mudholing the same team that "WVU and KSU lost to... by narrower margins."

So again, I ask: what do you get out of this?  Do you get enjoyment out of this shit?  Does constantly playing Debbie Downer and misrepresenting statistics turn you on?  I just don't understand how someone can have 10,000 posts about something that they so obviously love to hate.

To better I understand Satya let me tell you the story about the scorpion and the frog.

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:
3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Have we seen Devin Richardson at all yet? Curious what his status is. Surely he can fog a mirror?

he’s played at LB. 

He stripped the ball from Rattler and Overshown recovered it. Start watching at 55:21 and they show some slow motion replays of it.

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Regarding Anderson. Yeah back to back losses meant a visit. Then a win vs Bama means nah 

hipefully whatever horseshoe they shoved up their ass gets shitted back to reality 

teams still on their schedule

• @ Mizzou: FEI #91
  • South Carolina: FEI #79
  • Auburn: FEI #15
  • @ Ole Miss: FEI #16 (#4 offense)
  • PV A&M
  • @ LSU: FEI #40 (#14 offense)

• Rage+1 2

Gerry on Harold Perkins

Spoiler

One of the top remaining targets on the board for the Texas Longhorns is 5-star Cypress (Texas) Cy-Park linebacker Harold Perkins.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound playmaker with a laser-timed 4.49 forty had a game Saturday night but still caught most of the Red River Shootout on TV.

“I thought Texas was going to win,” Perkins told On3. “That game was crazy. You can see that Texas is building something special.”

For the No. 8 ranked prospect in the 2022 class, the city of Austin and NIL possibilities are a big draw. It’s one of the main selling points the Longhorns are using with Perkins, who likes what Texas is showing him.

“Austin is cool,” Perkins said. “It’s giving me a cool vibe. Name, image and likeness is big at Texas.”

Texas was the first school to talk about a plan to play Perkins as a hybrid linebacker and safety. That plan has resonated.

“The scheme at Texas, they want me to play nickel,” Perkins said. “Their nickel plays in zone a lot, but they may not have my skill set. I feel like I can play in any scheme.”

Perkins’ recruitment continues to trend toward a decision between the options of Texas A&M, Texas and LSU. He can envision himself at all three schools.

“When I go visit schools, I automatically envision myself at that school,” Perkins said. “It’s how I interact with people and the team. You can feel it. I felt it at Texas, I felt it at Texas A&M, and I felt it at LSU. I felt it at all of them.”

One key aspect of Perkins’ recruitment remains the same. He will play in the SEC.

“Everybody knows that,” he said.

Perkins is not only confident in his ability on the field, but his ability to handle the decision-making process.

“I don’t think it’s going to be hard for me,” he said. “I just have to pray on it, and talk to my people. I’ve just got to take it day by day.”

Making another trip to Texas before announcing a decision on January 2 is a possibility. He will attend a game at Texas A&M this season, and likely be back on campus at LSU before making a decision.

image.thumb.png.d1325cea98c3d141bac40940bc90a606.png

Edited by Big Woodrows
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I would go as far as to suggest our benevolent dictator, @immamac, make dark mode the default mode for the website. Agree with @maninblack that it is easy on the eyes.

14 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep, couldn't agree more. Much easier on the eyes 

Not on my eyes. I almost can't even read the text in dark mode.

Old eyes. Astigmatism. You know.

• Like 3

What odds would be realistic for Texas and ousux to be able to announce the move to the secsecsec for ‘22?  
And if it’s in the cards, would there be any announcements, public or even off the record to recruits, before signing day 1?  It seems like this could be as impactful for Sarkesian’s pitch this year as could W/L record and current and obvious early playing time?

26 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

What odds would be realistic for Texas and ousux to be able to announce the move to the secsecsec for ‘22?  
And if it’s in the cards, would there be any announcements, public or even off the record to recruits, before signing day 1?  It seems like this could be as impactful for Sarkesian’s pitch this year as could W/L record and current and obvious early playing time?

I’d say 2023 is much more likely.

Guys on the potential “cut list” imo are:

Tyler Johnson
Prince Dorbah
Al’Vonte Woodard
Kai Money - scholarship removed
Casey Cain
Troy Omeire - medical
Ayodele Adeoye
Max Merril
Rafiti Ghirmai
Ryan Bujcevski - scholarship removed
Hudson Card - transfer
Dajon Harrison
Tyler Owens

I wouldn’t be rushing to push the top two out. They’re both high upside guys at two of the biggest positions of need, and should have the opportunity to work themselves into consideration for PT next season. Dorbah in particular is a RS FR that was only on campus for COVID prior to this year and was always a bit of a project.

If you’re in a “find the numbers for five star X” mode then maybe, but otherwise I’d try to challenge them over the offseason.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, NoName said:

teams still on their schedule

• @ Mizzou: FEI #91
  • South Carolina: FEI #79
  • Auburn: FEI #15
  • @ Ole Miss: FEI #16 (#4 offense)
  • PV A&M
  • @ LSU: FEI #40 (#14 offense)

They’ll lose to Auburn and Ole Miss…. LSU maybe cause they’ll be checked out 

P.V may have a chance. I haven’t decided yet 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I wouldn’t be rushing to push the top two out. They’re both high upside guys at two of the biggest positions of need, and should have the opportunity to work themselves into consideration for PT next season. Dorbah in particular is a RS FR that was only on campus for COVID prior to this year and was always a bit of a project.

If you’re in a “find the numbers for five star X” mode then maybe, but otherwise I’d try to challenge them over the offseason.

The issue with Johnson and Dorbah is apparently neither have given any indication that football is all that important to them.

5 hours ago, turtlepond said:

I was hoping/wishing for some reassuring 2022 rumor…it’s well past time we bug out of this butthole of a conference. 

2023 is now the assumption. Only way its 2022 is if people are getting lied to or our half brain AD doesnt know what hes talking about. 

I believe the buyout is around 80 or 90 million currently. Texas could pull it off, okie would struggle with that. Can’t take one and not the other in separate years.

6 hours ago, SarksJuggs said:

God I want Harold Perkins in Burnt Orange. I feel like it’s been forever since we’ve had a game changing linebacker. 

Do you mean a game changing linebacker, or a game changing linebacker recruit? Because Malik Jefferson set the world on fire with his commitment. 

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Do you mean a game changing linebacker, or a game changing linebacker recruit? Because Malik Jefferson set the world on fire with his commitment. 

Linebacker lol. I remember Malikmas very fondly, but for the most part his play never matched the hype. God I miss Gary Johnson. 

I wonder if Sarkisian fails to realize that the quick strike offense, while exciting and absolutely essential at times, is nullified by the defense staying on the field for way too long. Time of possession is certainly not everything and I certainly don't advocating going full Jimbo snapping the ball with less than a second on the play clock (probably couldn't even do that because our OL doesn't focus and would likely be penalized), but it must be taken into account. 

I know I’m too late replying but fuck that. Score! Had we kept the gas on going into half the outcome would’ve different IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, NoName said:

in case folks think he is being hyperbolic, here are the dudes on the roster by year and position.

lots of dead wood. lots of guys who aren't fits. add in folks who will know that they aren't playing next year based on PT this year ("juniors" not getting much PT off the top of my head: Woodard, Tyler Johnson, Ghirmai, Warren?, Caldwell, Owens.) add in more portal movement pushing people down the depth chart pushing people out. add in some log jams due to the COVID year of eligibility (for example, Texas has six listed "freshman" WR, 5 "freshman" DL, etc)

Hide contents

this is where i miss the IT scholarship roster that was up to date. apologies if i missed anyone else. it isn't perfect (D Richardson listed as a Senior for example

offense:

36G5Hhql

defense:

edit: any updates or new news on Jordan Thomas, outside of being "away from the team for personal reasons"? didn't someone say they don't expect him to ever play for Texas?

That is a LOT of dead weight. I knew that Edge, LB, and OT were beyond atrocious but seeing it listed out like that... Wow. 

7 hours ago, mvlonghorns said:

I am sure they expect to lose one/both of Ewers or McCall after this season. They could be in a bad spot if the both scenario plays out.

I'd wager that Texas is going to end up with either Arch or Ewers from the portal.

Now, the real wager is whether or not Futureman will fist himself if Ewers transfers here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, 60HornStampede said:

@Getafix anything noteworthy from Roach this week on visitors? Really hope Evan Stewart makes it in.

Spoiler

Here are the names we've confirmed

Official Visitors

Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (LA.)

Malik Agbo, OL, Federal Way (WA.) Todd Beamer

Earnest Greene, OL, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Quency Wiggins, DL, Baton Rouge (LA.) Madison Prep

Larry Turner-Gooden, S, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany

Unofficial visitors

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman

Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo

Johntay Cook, WR, DeSoto

Will Randle, TE, New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview

Markis Deal, OL, Garland Naaman Forest

Vernon Glover, CB, Dickinson

Carson Dean, LB, Lewisville Hebron

Isaiah Robinson, OL, Arlingotn Lamar

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

Derrick McFall, RB, Tyler High

Anthony James, DL, Wylie East

Harris Sewell, OL, Odessa Permian

Cole Hutson, OL, Frisco

Connor Robertson, OL, Austin Westlake

Bryan Allen, S, Aledo

Jaden Allen, CB, Aledo

Derrick Brown, EDGE, Texarkana Texas High

Nigel Smith, DL, Melissa

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn

TJ Shanahan, OL, Austin Westlake (maybe)

Jaleel Skinner, TE, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy (maybe)

Gibson Pyle, OL, Klein Cain

Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Liberty

247 Visitor List

Stewart is one there. Need to ball out for those bolded names.

Edited by MuellerHorn

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

I believe the buyout is around 80 or 90 million currently. Texas could pull it off, okie would struggle with that. Can’t take one and not the other in separate years.

The story is that it's not really about the buyout, but one of the programming entities. Someone doesn't want to do something until 2023 or an agreement expires by then. There's been a lot of speculation that it's CBS, but that deal is over after 2023, so I still view it as unclear who's doing or saying what. If CBS isn't going to play ball and that's an issue, then 2024 would be the first time in which they're out of the picture.

• Like 1

Chad Simmons - Quency Wiggins

BATON ROUGE — Madison Prep defensive lineman Quency Wiggins is wanted by some of the top programs in the country. The no. 55 player in the On300 is fresh off an official visit to Florida, he is set to visit Texas this weekend, and trips to Alabama and LSU are coming up.

The 6-foot-6, 274-pound four-star has a big decision to make and he knows it is not going to be easy.

“It is going to be tough,” Wiggins said. “I am a December graduate, so I know it is coming, and it is not going to be easy.

“I just started taking official visits, so I am seeing different things. The official visit opened my eyes more because I did not know what to expect. I expect the other official visits to do the same, so I know I will have a lot to think about.”

Wiggins has hinted on social media that he may be close to a decision, but he clarified with On3 just where he stans midway through October.

“I want to take all my official visits before I make my decision. It needs to be fair between the schools, and I need to see everything first, so the visits will come first.

“I don’t think I will finish my visits until December, so my decision will probably be around Signing Day.”

Florida made a strong impression last weekend. Texas will likely impress this weekend. Wiggins knows he is going to have a lot to think about, but he has an idea of what he is looking for.

“What is most important to me is player development. I want to play for a school that will make me the best player I can be. That is most important to me.

“I will go wherever I feel can do that for me. Yes, I am in Baton Rouge, but I feel no pressure to stay at home. I don’t mind leaving, my mom doesn’t mind me leaving, and my family doesn’t mind leaving, so it will be up to me what school I pick.”

Texas is on Wiggins’ mind

Wiggins visited Austin over the summer. He has been recruited hard by defensive coach Bo Davis for months and Texas is on his mind heading into this weekend.

“Texas has shown me I am a priority for them, and that means something,” Wiggins said. “They have always shown me a lot of attention, coach Davis has shown he wants me, and I really like how they are recruiting me.”

On the visit in June, Wiggins talks about the environment, his time with the coaches, and what he saw around campus as things that stood out.

He is ready to get a different view of the Longhorns this time.

“I want to see how they play as a team against Oklahoma State. I want to see the fans, what the game-day environment is like, and just see what it would be like playing for Texas.

“Texas is doing a lot of things I really right now, so this is a big visit.”

Florida exceeded Wiggins’ expectations

The Florida Gators received his first official visit. Wiggins was at the Swamp last weekend and everything went about as good as it could.

“The visit to Florida was great and it exceeded my expectations,” Wiggins said. “I expected it to be nice, but it was a lot better than I expected it to be.

“It was my first official visit, so it was all new to me, and it was great. I saw so much that I liked.

“Florida gave me the red carpet treatment. Me, my mom, and my brother had a great time. We were all treated well, and it was a great experience.”

Wiggins felt a warm welcome from those in Gainesville. He loved the fans, the passion inside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, and the campus, but it was the people he would be around most if he chose Florida that stood out the most.

“I’d say the best part of the visit was being around the coaches and the players. Everyone had great energy, I felt wanted by everyone, and the love they showed was great.

“They all were fun to be around, I talked to some players, and it was just a good environment.”

The coach he could potentially be playing for made a strong impression too.

“Coach (David) Turner (defensive line) and I spent a lot of time together. He cares about his players, he is a great man, and I know he has coached a lot of good defensive linemen.

“Coach Turner wants the best for his players on and off the field. I definitely saw that in him.”

Wiggins is familiar with Alabama and LSU

There are no dates set yet for official visits to Alabama or LSU. Wiggins has visited each school three times already and he attended an LSU game earlier this season.

He plans to be in Tuscaloosa for the LSU game on November 6. That will be another unofficial visit.

Each SEC West is high on his list.

“I visited Alabama multiple times over the summer and it was great,” Wiggins said. “Alabama is Alabama, and you can’t go wrong there.

“They produce a lot of NFL talent, and at the end of the day, that is my goal. They take everything is serious there, they are about hard work, and I know they can make me the best I can be.”

LSU is just a few miles from the Wiggins home, so he is surrounded by Tiger fans. He is keeping a close eye on the local program.

“LSU has a lot going on there, but there is still a lot of love for them. I want to see what happens this season, then with coach O (Ed Orgeron), and just keep LSU in the mix.

“My love for LSU is always there, they have a great program, and it is a school I am keeping up with right now. They recruit me hard, it is close to home, and I am just being patient with them right now.”

USC is still on Wiggins’ list, but with the uncertainty there, the Trojans are likely the fifth school on his list at this time.

15 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Official Visitors

Unofficial visitors

Johntay Cook, WR, DeSoto

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview

Cole Hutson, OL, Frisco

Bryan Allen, S, Aledo

Jaden Allen, CB, Aledo

Nigel Smith, DL, Melissa

247 Visitor List

Wish our OOS DL guys would make it back at some point (Tapp, Finkley, Bryant).

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Official Visitors

Unofficial visitors

Johntay Cook, WR, DeSoto

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview

Cole Hutson, OL, Frisco

Bryan Allen, S, Aledo

Jaden Allen, CB, Aledo

Nigel Smith, DL, Melissa

247 Visitor List

Heck of a list. Our staff better have the team ready to go on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton: Steve Sarkisian's type of recruit

You want to get excited about the future of Texas football? Take a look at the latest offer from Steve Sarkisian for the class of 2023. It’s receiver Ryan Niblett from Aldine Eisenhower. As Hudson wrote about him yesterday, Niblett is a do-it-all football player as well as a track star. Just take the time to watch his film and envision him as a future Longhorn:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2G0w9p

Here’s why an offer like this makes me so excited about the future of Texas football (it doesn’t take a football savant to understand). Every trait that Niblett shows on film translates so well to what Sark wants from his receivers. He has short, burst acceleration. He has long speed, too. He can make people miss in a phone booth. He snatches the ball out of the air when it’s away from his body and loses no speed in the process. He appears to be a smart football player to go along with all of his ability. And he’s tough – he plays through contact and he clearly is ok with being physical when called upon to help block.

This offer tells me that Sark not only knows what he wants from his skill players, but that his personnel staff is on the same page. Before Texas offered, it didn’t matter to the staff that Niblett had relatively few offers compared to other recruits. It mattered, instead, that they could see him as a can’t-miss fit in Sark’s offensive scheme. And we know that Sark knows exactly how to extract maximum value from a player with Niblett’s skill set.

What’s more, you typically see a receiver of Niblett’s size and immediately think he’s more likely to be a slot receiver. But that’s not the case with Sark. Sark wants speed, someone who is tough and who will make plays all over the field, more than size. Ideal size is just not the determining factor for him. The ability to play football is. If Sark can keep scheming up plays like he did on Saturday to get Xavier Worthy and Josh Moore deep, then he’ll be able to the same with a talent like Niblett, too.

Fun times are ahead for Texas football because defenses can’t tackle what they can’t catch. That’s “the type” for Steve Sarkisian and Texas football.

• Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting