Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Brady is a good offensive coach, but he also had insane talent to work with in 2019. Burrow, Chase, Jefferson are already elite NFL players.

That's true, but Ensminger had all those guys the year before and couldn't do shit with them. They were shut out by Alabama. The next year they had one of the best offenses in cfb history.

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Venables plus Brady would actually still suck. Without someone like that as OC, I am not at all concerned. 

why?

• Joe Brady has not shown jack shit when he doesn't have the #1 pick in the draft
  • Joe Brady has himself said how much he doesn't like recruiting. Hates may be a better word
  • Joe Brady is coming into a situation where they are already a very good offense, so the improvement will not be anywhere as high
  • Joe Brady has never had to repeat his CFB success.
  • Joe Brady could have come back to CFB at any time and likely could get another NFL OC job
  • Joe Brady is going to have to stand a year of the OU offense taking a huge step back after this year - and the heat that comes with that
  • Joe Brady doesn't have Rolodex of up and coming dudes he can call upon to come coach under him
  • Joe Brady is not a super charismatic dude

Joe Brady would be a good hire, for sure. But he absolutely is not a silver bullet and isn't someone we should be terrified of.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

That's true, but Ensminger had all those guys the year before and couldn't do shit with them. They were shut out by Alabama. The next year they had one of the best offenses in cfb history.

Well you're not going to find anyone who will argue with Ensminger being complete ass. I think Brady is a good offensive mind, especially for the college game, but being clearly better than Ensminger isn't the best supporting evidence for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm pretty happy with OU hiring BV, I also don't literally give one single fuck if he brings Brady with him.  That LSU roster was super loaded, it was Brady's first year there so nobody had film on him at LSU with that roster, and literally, for all the sucking off the national media does of the SEC it's not exactly the greatest league in the history of ever with offensive scheming and game calling.  Look at Leach rivaling the great Jimbo Fisher in conference record and having head to head advantage (at aggy) over him this year at a MSU team that was hot garbage and in trouble before he got there. 

I'm not at all saying he sucks, but he seems disorganized, not a great recruiter and offensively will likely be a step down from Riley.  OU gets worse whatever they do with their staff.  It's still all good.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lanning seems like an even bigger risk than Venables. 

Great recruiter but primarily because of Georgia’s bag game. Also, how much of that defense is Lanning with Kirby as the head coach? 

Kirby as HC and Muschamp as an analyst. Although in fairness, their defense was salty last year and he was the guy I really wanted as our DC. Is he ready to be a HC? No clue, but hopefully today's news is going to start to mitigate the bag game quickly, especially if we can get phase 2 and/or phase 3 cooking before next season. 

Edited by Vertigo

Cross Golden off your WR wish list.  From Gerry:

Golden said he now plans to make an OV to TCU this weekend, as he can per NCAA rules make a second OV due to head coaching change.
Houston and Baylor will likely get OV's next week/weekend.

Golden said Texas is most likely out barring a change.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm not at all saying he sucks, but he seems disorganized, not a great recruiter and offensively will likely be a step down from Riley.  OU gets worse whatever they do with their staff.  It's still all good.  

This, from an offensive coaching and recruiting perspective all of the options that are being floated would be a significant downgrade from Riley.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Cross Golden off your WR wish list.  From Gerry:

can we get a head coaching change so we can get some second OV's?   maybe we can do something like when the president has to go under for some medical procedure.

or alternatively we can rip off a stack o' hundy's from CFC.

4 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

One thing that I hope comes with all of this.. if kids are about to have cash dropped on them the moment they step on campus for off-season training. Please, please, please! Set up some financial literacy classes, and workshops. Please. 

I disagree. As wise as this would be I already have a bet with my brother on how long it takes for the first Texas athlete to buy a pet Tiger. I took an aggressive under so they need to hold off on the advisory shit for at least two years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I disagree. As wise as this would be I already have a bet with my brother on how long it takes for the first Texas athlete to buy a pet Tiger. I took an aggressive under so they need to hold off on the advisory shit for at least two years. 

agree the other option is to have them spend it as fast as possible.  the old manager trick of keeping your sales guys in debt(motivated) with monthly Car and Boat/Slip payments.  never thought of pet tigers but whatever works...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Imagine is part of the money NIL is put in an investment fund for the players. Just check a box to put 0-100% of it in the NIL Investment Trust. That would really help set habits that can change their lives. I know that maybe harder to sell and might back fire, but it would be beneficial. 

That is not necessarily a bad idea, but if the player's mom is getting worried about being kicked to the curb, having cash in 3-4 years isn't going to cut it.  If their momma is driving a POS or their brother needs shoes,  they are going to want access to the cash.

1 hour ago, Noozak said:

I think you're onto some of the challenges here. A 4 year time horizon is pretty short. You could give them the option to keep it invested post graduation and that would alleviate the concerns about risk levels. Having worked at Fidelity for several years I can tell you it's nearly impossible to teach new money how to hold onto that money. Especially when they come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds. Whoever the advisor is is going to have a hell of a time convincing some of those kids to think about 40-50 years from now rather than next weekend. 

These guys have been setting goals and seeing incremental results their entire sports lives.  Maybe alter the message.  You can't walk into the gym one day like Kevin James and expect to walk out like Michael B. Jordan that afternoon.   

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's pretty obvious that OU was blindsided by this and they had no clue who they were going to hire. 

Or they’re targeting someone like Aranda, whose name has hardly been mentioned and who will be occupied until after Saturday, and floating up as many smoke screens as possible to distract the media from the true target. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Dude's twitter over the past 72 hours makes it very clear he has no idea what the fuck he is talking about.

I thought it was pretty obvious that one tweet about the two extremes was a joke representing the expected over-reaction that is going to occur when the hire is announced. 

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My man won 11 games at fucking Baylor two years after taking over in the middle of one of the biggest off the field PR disaster / scandals / dumpster fires, ever. He also took over a dogshit Temple team and led them to back to back 10 win seasons. He had Temple beating Penn State, 27-10. Temple!!!

With regard to him not beating a ranked team, he only played three of them in his final year at Baylor. A CFP OU team 2x and #5 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Apparently, Georgia actually cared about that Sugar Bowl. Rhule had to play a 3rd string QB against OU in the Big 12 Championship game and took them to overtime. I think I would take Matt Rhule over every college football coach outside of Saban and Meyer. And honestly, considering he's only 47 years old I might take him over both of them, too.

For comparison, Matt Campbell has never won 10 games -- not at Toledo or ISU. I don't think Campbell is anywhere near the same league as Rhule. 

Confused Ryan Reynolds GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My man won 11 games at fucking Baylor two years after taking over in the middle of one of the biggest off the field PR disaster / scandals / dumpster fires, ever. He also took over a dogshit Temple team and led them to back to back 10 win seasons. He had Temple beating Penn State, 27-10. Temple!!!

With regard to him not beating a ranked team, he only played three of them in his final year at Baylor. A CFP OU team 2x and #5 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Apparently, Georgia actually cared about that Sugar Bowl. Rhule had to play a 3rd string QB against OU in the Big 12 Championship game and took them to overtime. I think I would take Matt Rhule over every college football coach outside of Saban and Meyer. And honestly, considering he's only 47 years old I might take him over both of them, too.

For comparison, Matt Campbell has never won 10 games -- not at Toledo or ISU. I don't think Campbell is anywhere near the same league as Rhule. 

Now go see his record against good teams across his entire career at Temple and Baylor. It's just as bad. Rhule has built a career by beating really bad teams at schools like Baylor/Temple so it's perceived as a massive accomplishment. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting