Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

37 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Campbell dominating Bear

Had to check multiple times and make sure I wasn't watching Vernon Broughton. Bear stood completely up at the snap and hand fought. He probably would have started for Texas last year with that technique.

He'll be processed within 2 years at Georgia.

Edited by Hookem2147

The OT reps dont tell us much because there is not threat of inside run so the edge usually just takes the outside and wins most of those reps. On the other hand the 1v1s on the interior are much more important as it forces both parties to use strength and quickness to win the rep. The fact the Neto and Campbell didn't get ran over Nolen like we are accustomed to seeing out of our O line signings. 

10 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The OT reps dont tell us much because there is not threat of inside run so the edge usually just takes the outside and wins most of those reps. On the other hand the 1v1s on the interior are much more important as it forces both parties to use strength and quickness to win the rep. The fact the Neto and Campbell didn't get ran over Nolen like we are accustomed to seeing out of our O line signings. 

Was it Tray Allen that went to one of these all star games as a five star and literally could not block a single person in one on one drills? I remember thinking that was not a good sign. 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Was it Tray Allen that went to one of these all star games as a five star and literally could not block a single person in one on one drills? I remember thinking that was not a good sign. 

Triggered. Allen was one of the most highly rated OL of all time and couldn't block air. 

Holy shit I just looked it up. He is still the #3 highest OG recruit ever. Three spots above Justin Blalock.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/AllTimeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=108&Position=OG

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Oh shit, I thought someone said he was ranked like #25 or something. Shit, my bad. 

He's #10 in the composite but #25 per 247. 

247 said he was the top performer yesterday so he's probably going to end up even higher than the #10 composite recruit once 247 adjusts their rankings. 

• Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I wish they would go away from this model. I like how it used to be where the number of 5 stars would fluctuate depending on the year. 

Same. A set number is a failure. There may only be 15 legit 5* kids, just go with that. No reason to make 12 other kids happy to be ranked a 5* if what is seen isn't a true playmaker immediately 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wish they would go away from this model. I like how it used to be where the number of 5 stars would fluctuate depending on the year. 

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Same. A set number is a failure. There may only be 15 legit 5* kids, just go with that. No reason to make 12 other kids happy to be ranked a 5* if what is seen isn't a true playmaker immediately 

Y'all don't think they'd inflate the numbers so they'd have more "Five Star Recruitments" to sell clicks? Because that's why I like having a set number.

Besides, regardless of class quality there are 32 first round picks every year. It makes sense.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Y'all don't think they'd inflate the numbers so they'd have more "Five Star Recruitments" to sell clicks? Because that's why I like having a set number.

Besides, regardless of class quality there are 32 first round picks every year. It makes sense.

Yeah but there aren't 32 guys a year that will be 1st round picks from the same class.....that's why the old model was better.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yeah but those 32 picks include 3 and 5 year players, too. 

Mike Roach being so vociferous, and incorrectly so, about Campbell's recruitment is unbelievable. I know it shouldn't surprise me, but when someone stays that predictably on-brand and lacks the self-awareness when doing so, it never ceases to amaze me.

Unfortunately, in this instance, the guy is just making it blatantly obvious that he's not intelligent, not capable of thinking for himself at all, and is utterly incompetent at his job. He just robotically repeats whatever he's told and then proceeds to get angry when he's called into account for it. 

I've always been amused by EJ Holland's idiotic fucking up of the story about SLX taking him and Roach to dinner, but in all seriousness, based on the way SLX described the whole event, I do wish I could have observed it from the next table over. Mike Roach methodically eating every appetizer on the Applebee's menu while drinking like 10 cokes or teas or whatever, in hindsight, is also amazingly on-brand.

I've never been to an Applebee's and the thought of what that place must be like gives me a headache every time I see their commercials, and I would have probably gone to jail for ultimately beating EJ Holland into a body cast, but it still might have been worth it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, texifornia said:

I see why they do it, but it's such a gamble. Be truthful, you know? Say 15 5* kids with 25 high 4* kids, and then mid, low, etc. But I do understand their philosophy regarding draft picks and all that. It seems like they're scared to put their nuts on the table and just say "these are the only true 5* difference makers we see right now." 

But again, it's a site that needs money to keep working so yeah, I get why they do it. Just my opinion, obviously, but I think it's dumb. 

22 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I see why they do it, but it's such a gamble. Be truthful, you know? Say 15 5* kids with 25 high 4* kids, and then mid, low, etc. But I do understand their philosophy regarding draft picks and all that. It seems like they're scared to put their nuts on the table and just say "these are the only true 5* difference makers we see right now." 

But again, it's a site that needs money to keep working so yeah, I get why they do it. Just my opinion, obviously, but I think it's dumb. 

I think I'm going to start my own 995er site featuring the greatest innovation to the 995er industry in decades: the 4.5 star

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Observations and notes from Day 2 of Under Armour All-American Practices

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Observations and notes from Day 2 of Under Armour All-American Practices

Mike Roach

— Elite Ponchatoula (LA.) safety Jacoby Mathews continues to state that every school in his Top 5 (Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, Alabama and LSU) have a shot to land him. Mathews arrived at practices today where he participated in a few 1v1 situations and got acclimated to the event. For Texas, the relationships and plan to play him at safety in their defensive scheme has the Longhorns in the final group. Mathews said that he loved Austin on his visit and, even after seeing Texas lose to Oklahoma State on his visit, Mathews liked the way the defense was run on the back end and singled out his one-on-one meeting with Blake Gideon. He will take a few visits in January and is possibly planning a return to Austin in an unofficial capacity. I still think LSU is the smart pick, but Mathews is maintaining he's open.

— Texas signee Justice Finkley had the most impressive day of any of the Texas commits I watched today, and he was a big enough standout to land on the overall radar for the camp. Finkley was praised early on in drills for his motor, ball get off and violent hands. That carried over to the inside run portion and one-on-ones where he showed some dominant ability off the edge. These all-star games can be a mixed bag when it comes to the effort players give, but you can't ask anything more of Finkley. The most impressive thing that I and several others observed was his effort level in every single thing he did. His build is impressive, especially in his lower body where he's filled out well. Finkley plays with great eye-discipline against the run and sets a good edge. In the pass rush, he converts speed to power really well and he's elite at using his hands to deflect offensive linemen and take away space to block him. More than anyone, Finkley personifies "All Gas" whenever he's on the field. I also was interested to see how naturally he could bend the edge and he impressed me with the fluidity with which he did it. Though he doesn't have the classic length most people look for in an edge, Finkley's understanding of how to use his frame and leverage to drive opponents back was impressive. One coach told me he's the type of tone-setter who will make offensive linemen quit because of his work ethic. I come away from this experience an even bigger fan than I was when he committed.

— Kelvin Banks had an up and down day at practice. He looked really good on inside run where he used his length to isolate defensive linemen and drive them off the ball. He struggled in pass rush one-on-ones, mostly against Finkley, where he had a tendency to let guys get inside on him and drive him backward. Banks plays high in his pass set which allowed Finkley to get underneath him and drive him into the backfield. He really just needs to work on some refined technique when it comes to his pad level, hands and patience. Athletically, everything is there for him to be successful. At times he was over-extending himself and missing with hands which allowed him to get beat by guys playing with better leverage. Those are not uncommon problems for a lot of high school offensive linemen.

— Devon Campbell had another strong day on the field. While it might not have been quite as dominant as last night, he still wowed with quickness, strength and an elite punch that stuns defenders in their tracks. Campbell got the best of Georgia signee Bear Alexander on a few different reps in the one-on-one portion. Many others in attendance have noted his aggressiveness and competitive energy in these situations. Campbell refuses to be bullied by anyone.

— Bryan Allen Jr. impressed with his range and ability to cover. Allen is known more as a downhill striker with questions about his man coverage ability, but he flashed several times in one on ones coming up with several deflections and an interception. Allen moved fluidly for his big frame and played with great consistency. He was calm and under control in one-on-ones and quarterbacked the defense from the back end. Combine those traits with his physical ability against the run and he has the potential to be an early impact guy in Austin.

— Marlin defensive lineman Jaray Bledsoe arrived in Orlando late last night and he had a slow start to the morning. Bledsoe had a lot of hurdles with what would be a huge step up in competition at this event compared to anything he's ever faced during his high school career. He was also dealing with some conditioning issues in the Florida heat having not played this season. Those usually aren't ingredients for success at an event like this. Bledsoe flashed glimpses of his special potential a couple of different times and it's easy to see what coaches like about him. He has a strong frame and good length with some juice in his step. He will take some time to develop at the next level.

— Texas signee Neto Umeozulu drew a tough opponent in five-star defensive lineman Walter Nolen during one-on-ones. Nolen has been one of the best in attendance through two days of the event, but Umeozulu held his own against the Texas A&M signee as well as anyone he's matched up against. Umeozulu still has some technique work to do as his base can get too wide at times, and he's adjusting to playing on the interior a little more at this event after having played tackle for his career in high school. Umeozulu has been pretty solid overall through two days of action.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Do you think they have the ability to parse 5 star from high 4 star with any repeatable degree of accuracy or precision?  They can’t, and this makes it arbitrary so they don’t have to. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do you think they have the ability to parse 5 star from high 4 star with any repeatable degree of accuracy or precision?  They can’t, and this makes it arbitrary so they don’t have to. 

Probably not most, but there are at least five 5 stars that atand out above the rest, so just go with those five and then make the others high four stars.

I dunno, I just hare the model and want change. I think it's stupid the way it is. Like you see Bijan and immediately knew he was a difference maker. Same with Stingley from LSU, etc. I'm drinking for the first time in forever watching bowl games, so I'm probably not making sense. Going years without drinking and then drinking Dogfish Head is very relaxing and no fucks are given right now 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Probably not most, but there are at least five 5 stars that atand out above the rest, so just go with those five and then make the others high four stars.

I dunno, I just hare the model and want change. I think it's stupid the way it is. Like you see Bijan and immediately knew he was a difference maker. Same with Stingley from LSU, etc. I'm drinking for the first time in forever watching bowl games, so I'm probably not making sense. Going years without drinking and then drinking Dogfish Head is very relaxing and no fucks are given right now 

So where would your 5 star floor land this cycle, and why is the next guy down not included?

Well it's not like the industry is any better at accurately identifying the difference between the 32nd and 33rd best prospects. 

But that does bring up the best argument for the set number - the composite rankings sets. Would be kind of awkward trying to draw the line there given that they would never match the particular service's rankings. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting