Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I am sure everyone has seen this but in case there are a few stragglers:

Dear Longhorn Nation,

I am sure many of you have been inundated with news and speculation about the future of UT athletics throughout this long week. While I wanted to address the stories sooner than now, I needed to wait for our Board of Regents to weigh in on any conference actions. Today, our Board of Regents met and gave unanimous approval for one of the most monumental moves in our storied history. I am thrilled. It’s official! The University of Texas at Austin will be joining the Southeastern Conference in 2025.

Throughout the week, you have probably heard references to the “changing landscape of collegiate athletics.” Recognizing this reality, and with a commitment to position the university’s tradition of athletics excellence for generations to come, Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife, Athletics Director Chris Del Conte and I made the decision to look beyond the expiration of our current media rights contract with the Big 12. We asked the SEC to consider allowing our historic programs to compete in their unmatched conference. We are honored and grateful that they welcomed us.

During the past quarter of a century, we have enjoyed so many memorable moments in the Big 12.  Our players, coaches, and alumni will be forever grateful for the fierce competition and glorious championship moments we experienced with our conference peers. 

Looking ahead, I know many will be most excited about the return of time-honored rivalries with the Texas Aggies and the Arkansas Razorbacks, historic series that have given us some of our most exhilarating athletics moments. We will also be able to continue our rivalry with the University of Oklahoma, another key benefit to this transition. 

As our Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte explained, “This will be the best move for our student athletes, as they will be competing on the finest stage in collegiate sports. It will allow them to play in the best time slots on the largest television networks, give them unmatched visibility and prepare them for a potential future in sports beyond UT.” 

For now, our programs will focus on competing and winning in the Big 12. When our current contract expires, we will make the transition to the SEC, and I am confident that the level of competition we face in every sport will further inspire all of our sports teams to perform and compete at the highest level. I extend a debt of gratitude to the SEC and to you, Longhorn Nation, as we celebrate some of the most exciting news ever announced from these Forty Acres. Our most exciting sports memories are ahead of us.

Hook 'em,

Signature for Jay Hartzell

Jay Hartzell

President

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Dear Longhorn Nation,

I am sure many of you have been inundated with news and speculation about the future of UT athletics throughout this long week. While I wanted to address the stories sooner than now, I needed to wait for our Board of Regents to weigh in on any conference actions. Today, our Board of Regents met and gave unanimous approval for one of the most monumental moves in our storied history. I am thrilled. It’s official! The University of Texas at Austin will be joining the Southeastern Conference in 2025.

Throughout the week, you have probably heard references to the “changing landscape of collegiate athletics.” Recognizing this reality, and with a commitment to position the university’s tradition of athletics excellence for generations to come, Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife, Athletics Director Chris Del Conte and I made the decision to look beyond the expiration of our current media rights contract with the Big 12. We asked the SEC to consider allowing our historic programs to compete in their unmatched conference. We are honored and grateful that they welcomed us.

During the past quarter of a century, we have enjoyed so many memorable moments in the Big 12.  Our players, coaches, and alumni will be forever grateful for the fierce competition and glorious championship moments we experienced with our conference peers. 

Looking ahead, I know many will be most excited about the return of time-honored rivalries with the Texas Aggies and the Arkansas Razorbacks, historic series that have given us some of our most exhilarating athletics moments. We will also be able to continue our rivalry with the University of Oklahoma, another key benefit to this transition. 

As our Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte explained, “This will be the best move for our student athletes, as they will be competing on the finest stage in collegiate sports. It will allow them to play in the best time slots on the largest television networks, give them unmatched visibility and prepare them for a potential future in sports beyond UT.” 

For now, our programs will focus on competing and winning in the Big 12. When our current contract expires, we will make the transition to the SEC, and I am confident that the level of competition we face in every sport will further inspire all of our sports teams to perform and compete at the highest level. I extend a debt of gratitude to the SEC and to you, Longhorn Nation, as we celebrate some of the most exciting news ever announced from these Forty Acres. Our most exciting sports memories are ahead of us.

Hook 'em,

Jay Hartzell

President

When our current contract expires, we will make the transition to the SEC,”

Thats funny, Jay!

• Hook 'Em 1

I wouldn't buy that for the same reason that it's crazy to claim that we wouldn't necessarily welcome Guilbeau back. Who, exactly, would we replace those guys with that is so much better?

Well, we don’t actually have to replace them with someone “that is so much better.” They could be replaced with someone who infinitesimally better who ALSO didn’t decommit from us

Intrigues me on how exactly the staff will handle talking to these kids about when exactly UT will play in the SEC. You know they've been hearing 2025 from everyone from other coaches all the way to the official SEC and UT twitter accounts.

It does suck a bit because they have to (officially) toe the company line. But hopefully their wink-wink-nod skills are up to the task. Either way, it’ll be official that we’re going in ‘22 long before signing day.

5 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Intrigues me on how exactly the staff will handle talking to these kids about when exactly UT will play in the SEC. You know they've been hearing 2025 from everyone from other coaches all the way to the official SEC and UT twitter accounts.

"We want to make sure you know something critical. For our 2022 unis, we are working on some EXCITING CHANGES! A new look, for a new season, for new opponents, for new locations ...

Not 2025, not 2024 - for 2022!   👀  👀  👀  Mmmkay ... ?"

Wells

Spoiler

This morning, Texas came one step closer to joining the SEC. Not a better way to celebrate than with a BBQ and pool party with recruits.

Terry Black’s barbecue was on point, per prospects and their parents. Cole Hutson annihilated the wing competition. And Bryce Anderson wants to be Travis Scott.

News and notes from today’s festivities. Enjoy the evening news

Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: When the nation’s top ranked offensive guard walked up to the North end zone, everybody stopped.

Campbell wanted to surprise everyone with his trip to the ATX today. Mission accomplished.

Campbell remains enamored with UT and the coaching staff. He’ll return this fall for a game. I still think it’s a Texas-OU battle today and could go into this season as the co-leaders. 

Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto, TX) - 2023: The multi-talented playmaker has been to Austin so much, he’s going to start getting his mail delivered here.

But seriously, one of the top pass-catchers in the nation for 2023 loves visiting UT.

Cook said he hung out with Rueben Owens and Anthony Hill, and that he continues to build a strong bond with Steve Sarkisian and Andre Coleman.

How often do you talk to 2023 QB target Arch Manning?

“We talk everyday. That’s my dude.”

Good answer. 

Quency Wiggins, Madison Prep (Baton Rouge, LA) - 2022: When Texas made Wiggins’ Top 5 recently, he’d built a great relationship with the staff despite not seeing Austin. That changed today.

“It exceeded expectations,” said Wiggins. “I could see myself playing here now.”

The 6-foot-6, 271-pound defensive end really connected with Steve Sarkisian and Bo Davis, and tells IT he’ll take an official visit to Texas this fall.

Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: The EDGE backer returned to Austin for a final visit before announcing his decision tomorrow. He’ll actually stay in town tonight and remain until after his presentation at 5pm.

Texas continues to set the pace. 

We’ll have more soon, as Joe finishes up the event, and more tomorrow. More good vibes on the Forty Acres right before fall camp begins.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: The EDGE backer returned to Austin for a final visit before announcing his decision tomorrow. He’ll actually stay in town tonight and remain until after his presentation at 5pm.

This could be really awkward.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Dear Longhorn Nation,

Hook 'em,

Jay Hartzell

President

gay GIF

I feel like a lot of the angst here could be settled if people just took a deep breath and realized that we have actual football coaches now. Our defensive/offensive coaches (Davis/flood, choate/banks, PK/Sark) teach actual fundamental football and the kids they have coached actually improved. In the past 10 years when in the fuck has that happened? The roster we have currently playing fundamental football is good enough to win a lot of games got damn it. I spend to much time on surly lmao. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I feel like a lot of the angst here could be settled if people just took a deep breath and realized that we have actual football coaches now. Our defensive/offensive coaches (Davis/flood, choate/banks, PK/Sark) teach actual fundamental football and the kids they have coached actually improved. In the past 10 years when in the fuck has that happened? The roster we have currently playing fundamental football is good enough to win a lot of games got damn it. I spend to much time on surly lmao. 

Two

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

This could be really awkward.

IT has been in full meltdown mode since yesterday, and Nahlin said today (I assume half-jokingly) that it would be good if Brown picked Baylor because it would accelerate changes to Sark's recruiting model. Whether that meant only tactics/methodology or if he meant personnel as well is up to you.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Dear Longhorn Nation,

Hook 'em,

Jay Hartzell

President

Texas Aggies? WTF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT has been in full meltdown mode since yesterday, and Nahlin said today (I assume half-jokingly) that it would be good if Brown picked Baylor because it would accelerate changes to Sark's recruiting model. Whether that meant only tactics/methodology or if he meant personnel as well is up to you.

IT doesn’t know shit.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Had this in baseball. Shoulder was never the same and its a bitch of a recovery. 

I’m currently dealing with this. Have been ignoring it since November, but am really starting to miss golf. What kinda fresh hell am I looking at wrt recovery time if I choose to get it fixed?

2 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Had this in baseball. Shoulder was never the same and its a bitch of a recovery. 

Do we know if it’s a shoulder labrum or hip labrum? Neither is exactly a cake walk.

My wife had her hip labrum fixed 13 months ago, but since she’s nowhere close to 18 years old, I can’t use her recovery as an example. My very athletic 23 year old daughter (played college soccer) had hers repaired almost a month ago, but it’s way too early to comment on her recovery.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

2 hours ago, ousux said:
12 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:
I see Bo Davis in these photos which means that we've got a shot.

Can't see what he has in his hands, doomed

If we're joining the SEC we need to do this the SEC way. The bags we're giving should be big, numerous, and heavy enough to require a Brinks truck.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.f08bc95d44e2f5f590ba0ad6edfec3e6.png

Hip....not good. @ChiTownDoc or any other docs want to discuss recovery, rehab, and etc for this type of injury? 

Much like a shoulder labrum tear, post surgery you’re looking at 4-6 months before fully returning.  Prolly 6 weeks post op on crutches, starting with ROM exercises and slowly progressing through strengthening exercises till you get back to being able to do sport specific stuff. 

I’m assuming he’s getting it repaired.  Some people don’t if they don’t have the instability part of it and go the steroid shot/rehab route.  But I’d guess with the fact that he’s got a future in football that he’ll get it fixed.  

With proper rest/rehab schedule, he’ll be back to 100% before he’d be in a college program, but again like a shoulder labrum, could be more prone to having issues with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.f08bc95d44e2f5f590ba0ad6edfec3e6.png

Hip....not good. @ChiTownDoc or any other docs want to discuss recovery, rehab, and etc for this type of injury? 

See above - but if it’s a partial tear (most likely) you would try to avoid surgery. Without knowing extent of the tear it’s impossible to guess how long he’s out for.  

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

See above - but if it’s a partial tear (most likely) you would try to avoid surgery. Without knowing extent of the tear it’s impossible to guess how long he’s out for.  

Sucks either way because he was the type of player who needed some more exp to develop. This is part of what hurt mack down the stretch, accepting early commits and have players max out or get hurt.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting