Romantically Setting Friends or Family up

Doc Holliday

So my "brother from another mother" has been trying to set me up with a friend of his soon to be wife for about 4 to 5 months now.  I've been set up once before, in my early 20's, and it was an awful experience.  After that I don't believe in setting people up or being set up. 

Why do people think they can or should force relationships onto people or even go down that road?

7 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

So my "brother from another mother" has been trying to set me up with a friend of his soon to be wife for about 4 to 5 months now...

What? Your friend is trying to set you up with his other friend's fiancee?

Gonna need pics.

edit:. Oh I get it now. 

Edited by DoobieWah
  • Like 1

I’ve connected 4 separate couples that have gotten and stayed married. I’ve also connected a few people who mixed like oil and water, so it’s tough duty for sure.

What your friend is subconsciously doing is trying to bring you along with him into the next stage of his life. Somewhere deep down, he knows things are changing and it is going to be a challenge to be as attentive in your friendship as he has been, if you don’t have some sort of legitimate tie to his future wife’s interests too. And he’s right about that, even if this attempt at solving that may be hamhanded. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve connected 4 separate couples that have gotten and stayed married. I’ve also connected a few people who mixed like oil and water, so it’s tough duty for sure.

So you are a pimp? Do you ever have to slap a bitch?

• Like 1

CTJ's response makes sense on the psychology of it as he hasn't tried this before

No pics and her looks are similar to my historical preference/pattern type

and we will be hanging out for at least two nights since we are both going to the rehearsal dinner and wedding - not as each other's plus 1

Setting people up seems like high school bullshit. The most you should ever do is put two people in the same place at the same time. If something happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t, but any further interaction from the third-party is just silly and childish. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NastyDreams said:

A good friend set me up with a (now married so no pics) fox.  Maybe irritable bowel, Crohn's, but when she spasmed in orgasm, yellow shit water came out her ass and stunk to high heaven.  There's the drawback.  How do you tell your bud she's a stink squirter?

You're going to give me some NastyDreams

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NastyDreams said:

A good friend set me up with a (now married so no pics) fox.  Maybe irritable bowel, Crohn's, but when she spasmed in orgasm, yellow shit water came out her ass and stunk to high heaven.  There's the drawback.  How do you tell your bud she's a stink squirter?

I think we need to revive the worst sexual encounter in paint thread

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Your friend wants to bang wife's friend because he knows she is a FREAK in the sack. Find out specifically what his wife told him about her skills and decide accordingly.

I already know plenty to the point that I am open to exploring while at the wedding and am not bringing a +1

Still don't agree with the push for more beyond having a good time at the wedding. 

Edited by Doc Holliday

41 minutes ago, Chuychanga said:

Setting people up seems like high school bullshit. The most you should ever do is put two people in the same place at the same time. If something happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t, but any further interaction from the third-party is just silly and childish. 

Nailed it.

52 minutes ago, NastyDreams said:

Tell him, "Dude, you're not the only disgusting thing to come out of your mom's nether regions."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Is she divorced?  If so, she's dtf and you should take her out, and keep doing so until she tries to get serious.

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Your friend wants to bang wife's friend because he knows she is a FREAK in the sack. Find out specifically what his wife told him about her skills and decide accordingly.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Take the pussy where you can get it.

These guys fuck.

1 hour ago, NastyDreams said:

Just make sure you orgasm first. Problem solved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NastyDreams said:

He knows, why he pawned her off onto you. 

4 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

So my "brother from another mother" has been trying to set me up with a friend of his soon to be wife for about 4 to 5 months now.  I've been set up once before, in my early 20's, and it was an awful experience.  After that I don't believe in setting people up or being set up. 

Why do people think they can or should force relationships onto people or even go down that road?

It's bullshit to force it.  My oldest brother has never been married, but has had several girlfriends/ serious relationships throughout adulthood.  Our G'ma was always giving him shit about not being married.  It was NOT good natured ribbing, but calling him out in front of the family.  I always disagreed with it.  We have talked about it a lot and he knows IDGAF if he's married or not, nor does our other bro or our mom.  We just want him to be happy.  After that, who cares?

Some people ain't dying to have a partner that badly.  I never have understood why that's so difficult to fathom.  He's saved himself 2-3 divorces that seemingly all of our cousins have had and has rolled with the punches of life with different G/Fs at the time.  he just hasn't met the "one" yet.

Conversely, a female cousin of mine introduced me to my (future) wife almost 26 years ago.  Things can go the right way, but it was just a casual introduction because she thought we'd like each other- not because she was trying to find me a life partner.  I am eternally grateful for her thoughtfulness, but again, it wasn't forced  It was just for fun and life took a turn for awesome...   I still think my wife did something really bad and is being punished.

Edited by slorch

"OMG wouldn't it be so cool if you met my honey's friend Doc and you two just clicked and fell in love and got married like us then we could do couple things for-evar!"

So Doc is it really his idea or is it his fiance's idea?

So what's her story?

Just now, BearSchlong said:

"OMG wouldn't it be so cool if you met my honey's friend Doc and you two just clicked and fell in love and got married like us then we could do couple things for-evar!"

So Doc is it really his idea or is it his fiance's idea?

So what's her story?

My guess is it is a mix of both.  She probably supports it and has pushed it some, too.  Not sure how many friends of hers are even single because it seems like a bad idea to me to begin with.

I already called him out on trying to leverage this shit to get me to move up there.  Sorry, I am not moving to Denison, McKinney, or wherever. 

3 hours ago, NastyDreams said:

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Chuychanga said:

Agree but it depends on how it is done. The party they are both invited to, have both been told about the other, a few beverages, etc. is how it should be done. 

The here is so and so's number I showed them a picture of you and they think you are cute is indeed HS bs. My guess 80-90% of friends hooking other friends up tends to be like the first example. 

My wife and I have had a couple of success stories and a handful of duds. 

Being set up by a family or friend is great because you get the V4 aka vouch four.   Pretty much removes the "maybe he's a stalker serial killer" that is prevalent with a normal date.   It moves the odds for sex way up.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

It's bullshit to force it.  My oldest brother has never been married, but has had several girlfriends/ serious relationships throughout adulthood.  Our G'ma was always giving him shit about not being married.  It was NOT good natured ribbing, but calling him out in front of the family.  I always disagreed with it.  We have talked about it a lot and he knows IDGAF if he's married or not, nor does our other bro or our mom.  We just want him to be happy.  After that, who cares?

Some people ain't dying to have a partner that badly.  I never have understood why that's so difficult to fathom.  He's saved himself 2-3 divorces that seemingly all of our cousins have had and has rolled with the punches of life with different G/Fs at the time.  he just hasn't met the "one" yet.

Conversely, a female cousin of mine introduced me to my (future) wife almost 26 years ago.  Things can go the right way, but it was just a casual introduction because she thought we'd like each other- not because she was trying to find me a life partner.  I am eternally grateful for her thoughtfulness, but again, it wasn't forced  It was just for fun and life took a turn for awesome...   I still think my wife did something really bad and is being punished.

Correct response:

Why don't you get yourself a nice girl?

I get a nice one almost every night, Ma.

Yeah, but get yourself a girl so you can settle down.

I settle down almost every night, but then in the morning, I'm free.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Correct response:

Why don't you get yourself a nice girl?

I get a nice one almost every night, Ma.

Yeah, but get yourself a girl so you can settle down.

goodfellasgood.png

And the stink squirter is nasty.

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Not long after my divorce I was seeing a nurse who would come over Fridays evenings and stay the weekend and then go back home either Sunday night or Monday morning.  I've got say this was a pretty good set up as far as company/sex/food/etc and then having quiet time the other nights.  

• Like 1

I was Best Man at a college buddy's wedding. Had met the Maid of Honor once a couple of years before but no contact in between and barely remembered her. After the wedding ceremony someone said it was expected for the BM to ask the MoH out for the evening, so I did.

Proposed to her after a couple of weeks & 6 dates, then got married 5 months later.

Virtually all our friends said it wouldn't last, but they're all now divorced & remarried since then - and we are fixin' to celebrate our 51st anniversary..

You never know.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

CTJ's response makes sense on the psychology of it as he hasn't tried this before

No pics and her looks are similar to my historical preference/pattern type

and we will be hanging out for at least two nights since we are both going to the rehearsal dinner and wedding - not as each other's plus 1

Maybe they're just trying to save money by making sure neither of you have dates for the wedding.