2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

Top games this week:

Rockwall @ Cedar Hill

Cedar Hill scored 23 in the 2nd quarter, but lost 42-23.

Manvel @ Dickinson

Dickinson wins 45-42 as Manvel missed a 24-FG on the last play.

Reagan @ Brennan

Brennan easy, 35-14. Wow.

Desoto @ Judson

Judson nearly blew a big early lead, but got a late int on a desperation pass to win 35-28.

Arlington Martin @ LT

Martin continues to come up short against top competition.  LT 40-28.

Cedar Park @ Vandegrift

New power in the Austin area?  42-7 Vandy.  WOW.

SLC @ HP, Thursday on ESPN IIRC

Longview @ Denton Ryan

Tomorrow

Red Oak @ Ennis

Ennis 56-35

Roho @ Dumas

Rider 38-18

Crosby @ Carthage

Crosby led 17-0, but Carthage rallied for win 31 in a row, 27-24.

Calallen @ G-P

Calallen 41-19 as their RB had 313 yards.

Celina @ Melissa

Celina is back, 34-13

WOS @ Nederland

This one had a long lightning delay and it's 14-12 Nederland in the 3rd.

Sweetwater @ Stephenville

51-13 Stephenville.  Ouch.

Grandview @ Malakoff

The Zebras blocked a last second short FG to win 24-21.

Gladewater @ Gilmer

Buckeyes 42-14 for their 16th consecutive win in the series.

Shiner @ Hallettsville

Shiner takes down the 3A Brahmas again, 21-6.

Franklin @ Lorena

Franklin got the last two TDs of the game to win 27-20.

And Mater Dei punked D'ville 45-3.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4

San Antonio Kennedy snaps a 15 game losing streak and beats Austin Navarro, 50-0. Kennedy had just 1 win from 2017 till now. Can’t imagine how terrible Navarro must be. 

Looking over over boxscores, it looks like WR/QB Ty Hawkins made the varsity team as a freshman at SA Johnson. Standout baseball player too. And at Alamo Heights, freshman QB/WR Mike Terry hauled in a TD pass. He already has a couple FBS offers. Couple guys that could turn into big time prospects later.

Edited by Helobious

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

San Antonio Kennedy snaps a 15 game losing streak and beats Austin Navarro, 50-0. Kennedy had just 1 win from 2017 till now. Can’t imagine how terrible Navarro must be. 

Looking over over boxscores, it looks like WR/QB Ty Hawkins made the varsity team as a freshman at SA Johnson. Standout baseball player too. And at Alamo Heights, freshman QB/WR Mike Terry hauled in a TD pass. He already has a couple FBS offers. Couple guys that could turn into big time prospects later.

Saw Terry live last night. He will be a specimen and can fly.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

AISD kids have little interest in sports. I doubt Navarro even has 35 kids on varsity.

LBJ ain't half bad - in both football and basketball. Not sure if Bowie is still any good but they had a nice run recently. Even Austin High didn't suck last year. 

Probably a mostly true generalization but there are some exceptions. Navarro's problem is not really being in AISD - it's being a small, poor high school with very little diversity. 

@Helobious, how tall of a order is Edinburg Vela gonna be for Big Red this next week? I saw that their star receiver ran his mouth about Harlingen after they whipped McAllen Memorial. I know they are supposed to be good but is this one HHS can win with some Manny spirit and Cardinal attitude? It seems we put the hurt on Laredo United South. 

rgvsports.com is crap, I can’t even find a game writeup for HHS. With 955sports buried, I’m hurting for RGV news and talk. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 5:43 AM, Helobious said:

Great august boredom activity, glance at a couple Texas fcs & D2 rosters. Always bound to see some “whatever happened to that guy” names. 

Man, I remember when the Javelinas had some DUDES. That school was a NFL factory right up into the early 2000s. You’d watch them against other D2 teams in Texas and it was just absurd. They won 14 LSC championships between 1984 and 2004. 

I think a lot of their fall-off came with online and national recruiting services, nowadays there isn’t any undiscovered three star in the state playing at some small school that gets missed by OOS FBS programs. Or the RB/DB that was a shade too small but could break your ankles or run a 4.4. That used to be their bread and butter. There’s other issues at play, too, like no investment in the facilities and hiring HCs from the RGV high school ranks. But they dropped off a cliff as services like Rivals came online and never shifted to wild offensive scheming like West Texas A&M, TAMU-Commerce, or ACU.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

@Helobious, how tall of a order is Edinburg Vela gonna be for Big Red this next week? I saw that their star receiver ran his mouth about Harlingen after they whipped McAllen Memorial. I know they are supposed to be good but is this one HHS can win with some Manny spirit and Cardinal attitude? It seems we put the hurt on Laredo United South. 

rgvsports.com is crap, I can’t even find a game writeup for HHS. With 955sports buried, I’m hurting for RGV news and talk. 

Should be a close game, cards definitely have a real shot. Vela’s RB Rivera is a problem, and their QB Campbell is legit too. Our DL should show out, and Price is a playmaker at WR but they may need him back at corner to keep up with the Vela WRs. The team goes as Bell does though. He’s a load & easily our best RB since Tienda was here. Had a huge game yesterday, couple long TD runs. QB Lopez is pretty solid, decent scrambler too. He’s just gotta watch the picks. Biggest issue is depth, our turnout is still a little low so that may be a problem late in the game. Hopefully the game actually gets played. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

LBJ ain't half bad - in both football and basketball. Not sure if Bowie is still any good but they had a nice run recently. Even Austin High didn't suck last year. 

Probably a mostly true generalization but there are some exceptions. Navarro's problem is not really being in AISD - it's being a small, poor high school with very little diversity. 

I'm from Austin, and didn't even know there was a Navarro High School.

Is this a new high school?

Agree on stadium.  It's nice.

Neutral on their uniforms.  Yeah, dual color pants are cool, I guess.  Helmets and jerseys are clean and very traditional.  Neither here nor there, IMHO.

So apparently ESPN got duped into airing a terrible high school football team today on national television.

IMG played Bishop Sycamore. Sycamore is an online charter school no one has ever heard of that went 0-6 last year. They have 0 D1 prospects but told ESPN they had several, and I guess ESPN just took their word.

IMG won 58-0 and it could’ve been a lot worse.

Edited by Lonestar88

20 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

So apparently ESPN got duped into airing a terrible high school football team today on national television.

IMG played Bishop Sycamore. Sycamore is an online charter school no one has ever heard of that went 0-6 last year. They have 0 D1 prospects but told ESPN they had several, and I guess ESPN just took their word.

IMG won 58-0 and it could’ve been a lot worse.

And to make matters worse, Sycamore may have played a game on Friday.

Some heads need to roll.

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I can't believe no one has copied Temple's uniforms.  Coolest in TxHSFB...

dont know the story but i think i heard that the pants are actually illegal by the rules.   they continue to wear them because they are grandfathered in.   one they stop wearing them its over.  or something like this....

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

I was surprised to see Del Valle lose to McNeil. Del Valle keeps getting talented transfers and I don't think McNeil won a game last year.

2nd year for new McNeil HC Scott Hermes who came over from Vandergrift. Tough way for him to implement new systems last year with very little practice time. McNeil’s got some speed, just lacking in the trenches. Del Valle also not great up front.

• Hook 'Em 1