Oh nothing, just Michael Flynn calling for an open air coup

hpslugga

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That’s why a few of us have been saying those god damn traitors need to fucking hang.  Let’s see how cocky the rest of them get after the leaders are strung up or lined up against a wall.

That's a nice fantasy, but its not going to happen.  Do you know what happened to the leadership of the south after the civil war?

Former Confederate President Jefferson Davis was held in prison for two years, but other Confederate leaders were not. There were no trials on charges of treason. Only one person—Captain Henry Wirz, the commandant of the prison camp in Andersonville, Georgia—was executed for war crimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_era

You and I have to figure out how we are going to coexist in this country with 62... er now 74.... million people who think more or less like GRHorn.  Their leaders are not going to be tried for treason and hung, even if we descend into civil war and see 6.5 million Americans die (2% of the population, the ratio that died in the civil war).

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Everything else is just window dressing.  They just assume that the roads and hospitals and jails will continue to get built and maintained because they always have.

This is why I wanted to question @Lobo assertion (probably in another thread) that he understands how smart people could support Trump in the future. 

The US has rolled along, in our lifetimes, as a Constitutional Republic. Knowing, and relying on, that system is how we built a life that ensured the raising of our families, and, hopefully, will ensure a peaceful and prosperous retirement (no matter how much higher the tax rate).

Changing the system calls every assumption into question. (Setting aside the fascist penchant for demonizing others, for the moment, and without referencing the pride (dismay) of the American ideal). Own a business? Better kiss the right ass, because you can’t know if the new system will recognize your ownership. All assets will be subject to the vagaries of a new dynamic. It’s all up in the air, and smart people understand what that means.

Stupid people and smart people do not make the same assumptions, and I am no bootlicker. 

Edited to add that I assumed @Lobowas talking about decent folk, and not smart folk whose path to profit is fascism.

Edited by Willfully Horn
My wife

23 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We haven’t had any shit from the Krauts after Nuremberg and those assholes started two world wars.

46% of the German male population died to get to that point.  Exactly how many Americans are you personally willing to kill?

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

That's a nice fantasy, but its not going to happen.  Do you know what happened to the leadership of the south after the civil war?

Former Confederate President Jefferson Davis was held in prison for two years, but other Confederate leaders were not. There were no trials on charges of treason. Only one person—Captain Henry Wirz, the commandant of the prison camp in Andersonville, Georgia—was executed for war crimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_era

You and I have to figure out how we are going to coexist in this country with 62... er now 74.... million people who think more or less like GRHorn.  Their leaders are not going to be tried for treason and hung, even if we descend into civil war and see 6.5 million Americans die (2% of the population, the ratio that died in the civil war).

It's pretty apparent that the appeasement of the south was the wrong way to go.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

See, I don't understand why some of them think they're getting lower taxes, when many aren't.  I'm not upper class.  I'm sort of approaching it if you squint at salary, investments, home equity, but I'm not retiring any time soon.  My taxes went WAY the fuck up under Donald Trump, mostly because of reduced SALT deductions, but also some other shit he pulled.  He did not come CLOSE to dropping taxes for all average Americans.  Even if the average lower middle class Joe Blow paid $500 less annual to the IRS, they don't seem to understand the corporations made out like bandits and that money ain't flowing down to them or their friends.  In the long run . . .

Um, you want people to do math? Haha haha haha….. haha haha

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

46% of the German male population died to get to that point.  Exactly how many Americans are you personally willing to kill?

How about 594k to call it even from Trump’s death toll?

None of you all see Trump's Presidency and prospects for a future presidency as more tragic and dangerous than I.  Maybe Bolverk, who has a right as someone who had to sacrifice a family member to 45's ego.  But since you are seriously talking about the annihilation of 74 million Trump voters, I'm out. 

If I let myself get caught up in what you all are projecting right now in this thread, then I will have let Donald Trump remake me in his image.  I will have devolved into the evil caricature that conservatives have been painting of liberals and democrats over the past 30 years.  And I will be doing more to push people to the other side than I will be to pulling them away.

Maybe time will prove that there was no other way.  In that case, I hope you all survive (you won't) and that you win (actually I'll probably be team meteor at that point).  Until then, vaya con dios!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

None of you all see Trump's Presidency and prospects for a future presidency as more tragic and dangerous than I.

Bullshit. I believe that if Trump runs again in 2024 and wins, legitimately or, more likely illegitimately, it will signal the end of the American democratic experiment and we will descend into authoritarianism. Are you seriously going to tell me that you think it’s more dangerous than I do?

How dare you? I’m thoroughly aware of what a precarious situation we’re in. I think there are a lot of us who know it. Not enough, but a lot.

We still need a bigger ledge. 

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Bullshit. I believe that if Trump runs again in 2024 and wins, legitimately or, more likely illegitimately, it will signal the end of the American democratic experiment and we will descend into authoritarianism. Are you seriously going to tell me that you think it’s more dangerous than I do?

How dare you? I’m thoroughly aware of what a precarious situation we’re in. I think there are a lot of us who know it. Not enough, but a lot.

We still need a bigger ledge. 

I'm saying I agree, but you've lost my heart and mind with the advocation of political genocide.  Good luck.

Edited by Goredho

24 minutes ago, Goredho said:

None of you all see Trump's Presidency and prospects for a future presidency as more tragic and dangerous than I.  Maybe Bolverk, who has a right as someone who had to sacrifice a family member to 45's ego.  But since you are seriously talking about the annihilation of 74 million Trump voters, I'm out. 

If I let myself get caught up in what you all are projecting right now in this thread, then I will have let Donald Trump remake me in his image.  I will have devolved into the evil caricature that conservatives have been painting of liberals and democrats over the past 30 years.  And I will be doing more to push people to the other side than I will be to pulling them away.

Maybe time will prove that there was no other way.  In that case, I hope you all survive (you won't) and that you win (actually I'll probably be team meteor at that point).  Until then, vaya con dios!

Um, I do not seriously want to kill 74 million Trump voters.  I was mostly joking in my comment about taking out an equal number to pay for Trump's death toll. 

I don't think they can be helped/unbrainwashed.  God damnit, they are still our parents, our neighbors, our coworkers and used to be our friends.  Just because they worship at the Orange Alter doesn't mean I want them to die.   I just want them to decide voting isn't worth it so they don't show up.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't think anyone should consider killing 74 million trump voters. However, I think we should seriously consider the complete and utter annihilation of the tools, systems, and funding mechanisms that promote propaganda within the US.  

• Hook 'Em 5

17 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That’s why a few of us have been saying those god damn traitors need to fucking hang.  Let’s see how cocky the rest of them get after the leaders are strung up or lined up against a wall.

17 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We haven’t had any shit from the Krauts after Nuremberg and those assholes started two world wars.

16 hours ago, Goredho said:

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Right now, about 35 - 40% according to latest polling data.

16 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Invoking Nuremberg as a deterrent and then proposing mass murder as a solution is...interesting.

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Got to cover all the bases.

Malcolm_X_any_means_necessary.jpg

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

0566e1e1f5fb0c799577b6a0f58b8351.jpg

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

How about 594k to call it even from Trump’s death toll?

This is a microcosm of a larger problem: the inability of a significant portion of our population to distinguish between what is real, and serious, and what is fantasy, whether of the metaphorical or sardonic variety.

It's little wonder that people who take things literally are doing crazy shit after listening to nutjobs like Limbaugh, Boortz and Noori for three decades. Whether funny or not, you simply can't joke about justifying post-natal abortion on a politically significant scale in such an environment. Small minds are listening, people. Mind your p's and q's.

20 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Everybody likes mass murder jokes. 

I also thought comparing 01/06 to the Holocaust was strong. 

Who is comparing Jan 6 to the Holocaust? It's very directly comparable to hilters beer hall putsch, however. 

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Who is comparing Jan 6 to the Holocaust? It's very directly comparable to hilters beer hall putsch, however. 

I thought getting the vaccine was basically the Holocaust? I can’t keep up with stupid GOP comparisons 

• Like 1

The CR has taken an extra weird and dark turn today. Do some deep breathing, listen to some good music, watch some basketball tonight, and let’s all try to come back tomorrow with just a normal amount of existential angst.

Relax; the sun will eventually consume the remains of everyone and everything you’ve ever known or loved. It’s gonna be ok.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

The CR has taken an extra weird and dark turn today. Do some deep breathing, listen to some good music, watch some basketball tonight, and let’s all try to come back tomorrow with just a normal amount of existential angst.

Relax; the sun will eventually consume the remains of everyone and everything you’ve ever known or loved. It’s gonna be ok.

Dude, it's out in the universe.  People in general are just in a shitty way today.  Mercury is in retrograde or something.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dude, it's out in the universe.  People in general are just in a shitty way today.  Mercury is in retrograde or something.

the last year (added onto the previous 4+) broke a lot of fucking brains. we were not prepared at all for what we experienced. we could have been, but we weren't

49 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Trust me, I hope I am the idiot.  Just looking for confirmation from the person whose jokes and sarcasm I would have grossly misinterpreted.

You are not an idiot or an idoit.  But remember, gallows humor is a traditional feature of this community. 

Did you hear the one about Rusty the Dog at the Colorado game that one year?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

the last year (added onto the previous 4+) broke a lot of fucking brains. we were not prepared at all for what we experienced. we could have been, but we weren't

To be fair, I've ALWAYS been in favor of hanging officers of the United States military who participate in acts of sedition against my country.  I'm not exactly out on a limb here -- I'm just echoing the UCMJ:

(a)Any person subject to this chapter who—(1)

with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority, refuses, in concert with any other person, to obey orders or otherwise do his duty or creates any violence or disturbance is guilty of mutiny;

(2)

with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of lawful civil authority, creates, in concert with any other person, revolt, violence, or other disturbance against that authority is guilty of sedition;

(3)

fails to do his utmost to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition being committed in his presence, or fails to take all reasonable means to inform his superior commissioned officer or commanding officer of a mutiny or sedition which he knows or has reason to believe is taking place, is guilty of a failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition.

(b)

A person who is found guilty of attempted mutiny, mutiny, sedition, or failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

Flynn is getting dangerously close to that line.  Let him fuck around.  And let him find out.

• Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ophiuchus is rising in conflict with Uranus resulting in tore-ass.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling etc

If Flynn could be returned to active duty and subsequently court martialed, I would shed no tears.  He deserves to spend some time behind bars for what he said.  I don't see an officer's responsibility ending once they retire.  (This is wholly a kneejerk emotional response on my part.  It happens.  I might even be right.)

Edited by jimmyjazz
cnat type
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

21 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s Nazi didn’t get to vote on if the Nuremberg trials were a good idea

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

If Flynn could be returned to active duty and subsequently court martialed, I would shed no tears.  He deserves to spend some time behind bars for what he said.  I don't see an officer's responsibility ending once they retire.  (This is wholly a kneejerk emotional response on my part.  It happens.  I might even be right.)

There's plenty of retired officers who say batshit stuff.  I don't want the military in the habit of chasing after them.  Well, if they participate in something like January 6th, do something and take their pay or put them behind bars, but again, that could be left up to the civilian authorities.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don't think they can be helped/unbrainwashed.  God damnit, they are still our parents, our neighbors, our coworkers and used to be our friends.  Just because they worship at the Orange Alter doesn't mean I want them to die.   I just want them to decide voting isn't worth it so they don't show up.

Just work on getting it through their heads that A) Trump is going to help drive up Democratic turnout and B) Trump has said that the left is making sure he's going to lose, and if Trump is telling the truth, then what's the point of voting if Trump himself says he's going to lose?

Seriously, when it comes up these days, I point out that Trump on the ballot would be great for Democrats, just like Hillary being on the ballot helped Trump.