Oh nothing, just Michael Flynn calling for an open air coup

hpslugga

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

30% of our country believes in a cult. And not just a garden-variety “worship the leader” cult. No, it’s full-on batshit insane, with more nutbar tangents than you can shake a stick at.

And they’re willing to commit violence to take power.

We don’t recover from this. And do I blame them? No. They’re too stupid/mentally ill to be fully culpable. I blame the people who enable them and keep legitimizing them - the GQP and its voters.

Cross post:

This probably belongs in the Qanon thread, but it's equally relevant to the current discussion. Apparently, there's a broad, recent schism among their faithful between Lin Wood and Michael Flynn which may have been set off by remarks made by Kyle Rittenhouse.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7wwqe/kyle-rittenhouse-qanon-civil-war-lin-wood

Cross post:
This probably belongs in the Qanon thread, but it's equally relevant to the current discussion. Apparently, there's a broad, recent schism among their faithful between Lin Wood and Michael Flynn which may have been set off by remarks made by Kyle Rittenhouse.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7wwqe/kyle-rittenhouse-qanon-civil-war-lin-wood

Lin wood is unquestionably and unforgivably crazy. The last line of that story - he said that you should throw out the turkey bones after thanksgiving lunch. WTF? Throw the carcass away instead of using it to make stock? The man is a fucking monster.
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Tangent:

I was just looking up the source of Dubya's weird-ass "I looked into Putin's eyes and plumbed the depths of his soul" uber-Texan Alpha Male BS quote and was reminded it was at a conference in Slovenia 3 months before 9/11.

As the conference was wrapping up, Putin suddenly, out of nowhere, " raised the problem of Pakistan. He excoriated the Pervez Musharraf regime for its support of extremists and for the connections of the Pakistani army and intelligence services to the Taliban and al Qaeda. Those extremists were all being funded by Saudi Arabia, he said, and it was only a matter of time until it resulted in a major catastrophe... Putin, though, was right. The Taliban and al-Qaida were time bombs that would explode on September 11, 2001... I was taken aback by Putin's alarm and vehemence." -- Condoleeza Rice, in her 2011 book No Higher Honor: A Memoir of My Years in Washington:

Putin specifically warned Bush that this major catastrophe would take place on US soil and Rice said their attitude was that he just had sour grapes over Afghanistan. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

14 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Tangent:

I was just looking up the source of Dubya's weird-ass "I looked into Putin's eyes and plumbed the depths of his soul" uber-Texan Alpha Male BS quote and was reminded it was at a conference in Slovenia 3 months before 9/11.

As the conference was wrapping up, Putin suddenly, out of nowhere, " raised the problem of Pakistan. He excoriated the Pervez Musharraf regime for its support of extremists and for the connections of the Pakistani army and intelligence services to the Taliban and al Qaeda. Those extremists were all being funded by Saudi Arabia, he said, and it was only a matter of time until it resulted in a major catastrophe... Putin, though, was right. The Taliban and al-Qaida were time bombs that would explode on September 11, 2001... I was taken aback by Putin's alarm and vehemence." -- Condoleeza Rice, in her 2011 book No Higher Honor: A Memoir of My Years in Washington:

Putin specifically warned Bush that this major catastrophe would take place on US soil and Rice said their attitude was that he just had sour grapes over Afghanistan. 

Bill Clinton warned Bush that the biggest threat to America was Islamic terrorism. Bush’s own intelligence services warned him that bin Laden was intent on attacking in the US. Bush ignored those warnings too. 

On 11/27/2021 at 10:20 AM, SmokeyTheBear said:

GOP probably: "It's not civil war within our party. We just have a big tent of ideas and welcome them all."

I know this is an old post but they would say it in the same paragraph as that Liz Cheney needs to go and that 1/6 rioters should have gotten to Mike Pence.

Then there is this:

Also seeing reports that he was paid for speeches to Russian companies.  He is completely compromised.

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Bill Clinton warned Bush that the biggest threat to America was Islamic terrorism. Bush’s own intelligence services warned him that bin Laden was intent on attacking in the US. Bush ignored those warnings too. 

bush w wasn't the smartest sharpest tool in the shed 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Tonight’s episode of Frontline was titled Michael Flynn’s Holy War and it was pretty sickening and frightening. The guy is a dangerous loon. He’s got qualities of Vladimir Putin, Joe McCarthy, Jair Bolsonaro, and a revivalist preacher. He spouts disinformation and propaganda like Putin (while saying it’s actually the other side who are doing that). He spews red scare style anti-communist fear mongering like Joe Mc Carthy (the deep state is full of them!). I’m pretty sure he has a dream of running the country as a military dictatorship like Bolsonaro pines for. And it’s all wrapped up in some of the angriest, most violent Christian hate speech.

He speaks of how we’re a Christian nation while his followers hold crosses and wave flags. But when the reporter from the AP who is the correspondent on the piece asks him if he’s a Christian Nationalist, he gets mad says he doesn’t know what that is, says he’s Irish Catholic, calls her stupid, and storms off saying he’ll never do an interview with the AP again.

He interacts with the Proud Boys. He appears in numerous photos with them where they’re flashing the white power sign. Oh, and he’s been named the head of one of their chapters in Florida (who got a number of their candidates elected to local school boards down there...charming).

At one point, when he’s accusing the left of using propaganda and disinformation against him, he says “trust me I know” because he worked in army intelligence and they did that stuff and psyops is part of war. And I was thinking yeah, we know, Mike. You’re doing it right now.

Anyway, check it out if you’ve got a strong stomach. And yes, on Jan 6 our Capitol was attacked by radical Christian terrorists bent on overthrowing the results of a free and fair election and blocking the peaceful transfer of power. Don’t tell me you give two shits about the Constitution, Mike, you fucking traitor.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/michael-flynns-holy-war/

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Tonight’s episode of Frontline was titled Michael Flynn’s Holy War and it was pretty sickening and frightening. The guy is a dangerous loon. He’s got qualities of Vladimir Putin, Joe McCarthy, Jair Bolsonaro, and a revivalist preacher. He spouts disinformation and propaganda like Putin (while saying it’s actually the other side who are doing that). He spews red scare style anti-communist fear mongering like Joe Mc Carthy (the deep state is full of them!). I’m pretty sure he has a dream of running the country as a military dictatorship like Bolsonaro pines for. And it’s all wrapped up in some of the angriest, most violent Christian hate speech.

He speaks of how we’re a Christian nation while his followers hold crosses and wave flags. But when the reporter from the AP who is the correspondent on the piece asks him if he’s a Christian Nationalist, he gets mad says he doesn’t know what that is, says he’s Irish Catholic, calls her stupid, and storms off saying he’ll never do an interview with the AP again.

He interacts with the Proud Boys. He appears in numerous photos with them where they’re flashing the white power sign. Oh, and he’s been named the head of one of their chapters in Florida (who got a number of their candidates elected to local school boards down there...charming).

At one point, when he’s accusing the left of using propaganda and disinformation against him, he says “trust me I know” because he worked in army intelligence and they did that stuff and psyops is part of war. And I was thinking yeah, we know, Mike. You’re doing it right now.

Anyway, check it out if you’ve got a strong stomach. And yes, on Jan 6 our Capitol was attacked by radical Christian terrorists bent on overthrowing the results of a free and fair election and blocking the peaceful transfer of power. Don’t tell me you give two shits about the Constitution, Mike, you fucking traitor.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/michael-flynns-holy-war/

I watched the Frontline episode as well. I’m really concerned for the future of this country. These people are committed to an unholy jihad against America. Anybody who thinks I’m speaking hyperbolically should pay close attention to Flynn.

• Hook 'Em 1

1. America elects a Black president. 

2. Said Black president shitcans Michael Flynn for very good and valid reasons.

3. This drives Flynn nuts to the point of sedition (actual) and treason (almost; all he needs is a hostile foreign power to be in a state of open war against America.) 

4. Because and only because we are a nation of laws and not men, and by the very specific intent of the founders treason is both a) defined in the Constitution; and B) very difficult to prosecute successfully, Flynn is not yet, IMO, a candidate for the gallows.

5. However, I do wonder why the army has not canceled his pension,  stripped him of rank, and forbidden him to appear in uniform. He should have been Citizen Flynn a long time ago; indeed his political career has me questioning whether any ex military types should be able to flaunt their uniform and rank the way he has. I am quite certain George Washington would be appalled. 

6. Along with the other cheerleaders of Jan 6 Flynn deserves prosecution and heavier incarceration than the idiot foot soldiers spurred on by their rhetoric. However we have become a nation of Status Over Fairness and so Flynn et al will walk. I’ve said it before but this is like if we convicted a slew of SS privates and NCOs at Nuremberg but didn’t even arrest the likes of Himmler, Goebbels, and yes, Hitler. And so we are quite likely to have another Jan 6. 

• Hook 'Em 9

After winning the Nobel Prize for literature in 1930, Sinclair Lewis wrote It Can't Happen Here. In two days it will be the anniversary of its publication date: October 21, 1935.

The novel received a revival of sorts after the 2016 election and sold out online and has been on the best seller lists recently.

But many have their heads filled with propaganda spouted by right wing media personalities or in the sand or just too overwhelmed with daily miseries to think beyond getting by and getting through.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

After winning the Nobel Prize for literature in 1930, Sinclair Lewis wrote It Can't Happen Here. In two days it will be the anniversary of its publication date: October 21, 1935.

The novel received a revival of sorts after the 2016 election and sold out online and has been on the best seller lists recently.

But many have their heads filled with propaganda spouted by right wing media personalities or in the sand or just too overwhelmed with daily miseries to think beyond getting by and getting through.

Here’s the blurb from the back cover:

3E8745DA-2E43-423F-A345-4A49C85705AC.thumb.png.96d96f375211ea9ffcbf1cae1c83a9d0.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I do wonder why the army has not canceled his pension,  stripped him of rank, and forbidden him to appear in uniform. He should have been Citizen Flynn a long time ago; indeed his political career has me questioning whether any ex military types should be able to flaunt their uniform and rank the way he has. I am quite certain George Washington would be appalled. 

In the USA, now we must be concerned with where the Army stands in regard to the goverment. That's just about the definition of a banana republic. If you discredit elections, you're left with force or the threat of force.

I don't believe the Army to be disloyal. I just find it weird that this possibility has arisen for the first time in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Rachel Maddow has a new podcast called Ultra, that explores how nationalists went down this same path in the 30s, with some groups plotting the overthrow of the US govt. While not directly involved in said coup, Father Coughlin was the big media influencer of those groups at the time. We had members of Congress that were extremely sympathetic to Germany and wanted us on the other side.

If it wasn't for WW2, this story would be well known. Also the people involved did their best to help everyone forget. Reminds me a bit of how today we cannot teach our kids why there was even a need for civil rights.

Today isn't the first time that the US democracy has been threatened. I actually hope it isn't the last.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Rachel Maddow has a new podcast called Ultra, that explores how nationalists went down this same path in the 30s, with some groups plotting the overthrow of the US govt. While not directly involved in said coup, Father Coughlin was the big media influencer of those groups at the time. We had members of Congress that were extremely sympathetic to Germany and wanted us on the other side.

If it wasn't for WW2, this story would be well known. Also the people involved did their best to help everyone forget. Reminds me a bit of how today we cannot teach our kids why there was even a need for civil rights.

Today isn't the first time that the US democracy has been threatened. I actually hope it isn't the last.

There's an HBO series called Plot Against America that encompasses this. It was made in 2020 and doesn't really have a solid ending. Great cast. Worth watching.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Frontline/AP does a hell of a job. 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

He needs to swing.
It’s reached that time. We need gallows. Traitors should hang. Traitors in the military should be summarily shot. Flynn deserves both.

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

He is a clear and present danger to the Constitutional Republic. 

When Oliver North testified before Congress and said that he and CIA chief William Casey were going to create an independently funded, off shelf operations unit answerable only to North and Casey, I expected North to be vilified at every turn.

He wore his Marine uniform and much of America fell in love with him. Time and Newsweek put him on their covers in uniform looking sincere as he raised his right hand. Somehow, he ended up a hero. I was astonished. It was maybe the first clue about my miserable ability to predict things.

Marines thought he'd misused his uniform (North never wore it at work or anywhere else). Officers were disgusted. 

Nobody cared. Now we have a mega-North roaming free and working against the country. He is a danger to this country. He was to some degree a foreign agent who remained close the US President after this was discovered.

We see this with our own eyes. We read the utterances of a coven of traitors. They operate bound by nothing. 

Hardly anybody cares. The traitorous Trumpists and the GЯP eat it up. Most everybody else are too busy distracting themselves with worthless shit to pay close attention.

I wish sometimes that there were only three national networks and they would all cover an important news story at the same time. The Jan 6 Hearings would be on every TV. People would talk about the issues and the insurrection.

Things just aren't very promising.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 7:59 PM, Brisketexan said:

He needs to swing.
It’s reached that time. We need gallows. Traitors should hang. Traitors in the military should be summarily shot. Flynn deserves both.

The Dutch used to think this should take place after disemboweling and flaying. The only way to be sure (at the time.)

giphy.gif

Here is a short excerpt:

In front of America stands a cold, dark and determined monster. This monster seeks to destroy this country. To those of us the monster fears and hates, it screams racist, conspirator, deplorable! It shouts at us, calling our passion and love for our country contemptible. But we will not be deterred.

Here are your book talk questions of the morning:

Which states will ensure that this book is required reading and why?

What would happen if a drag queen storytime participant decided to read this book aloud?

How do you suppose the author chooses to end the story?

Not including mandatory educational institutional distribution, how many copies do you think will be sold to single individuals not named Michael Flynn nor affiliated with the GOP or any PAC bulk purchasing to drive sales?

• Hook 'Em 1