Fat People

Hanrahan

10 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I suppose it could be a supply/demand argument, but in some places, it’s hard to find healthy food. My son served at Fort Polk. Lots of fats around that area. We went to a popular restaurant and I was so amazed by the menu I had to take a photo

1178002f54b68f717c1db441ee566787.jpg

Find something healthy on that thing.

The ribeye isn't bad as part of a balanced nutrition plan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I suppose it could be a supply/demand argument, but in some places, it’s hard to find healthy food. My son served at Fort Polk. Lots of fats around that area. We went to a popular restaurant and I was so amazed by the menu I had to take a photo

How much extra to have them fry the ribeye?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

See, that menu is a good case in point.  Everything on there is godawful for you.  That you can order a hamburger steak with gravy already on it, then get your dinner roll, your other side (which presumably be coated in butter and salt), and then still get mashed potatoes and gravy as your other side.  Who the fuck needs two sets of gravy?  

But that's just it, that kind of meal isn't actually that awful for you in extreme moderation.  Presumably, you could make that your once a month treat.  You go there this week, feel awful about yourself for about three weeks after that, and then plan for a week to back again.  Your body can take that once a month, no problem.  It's when you start going regularly, multiple times a month, multiple times a week...when you have your own booth at a place like that.  That's when it gets dangerous.  I'd have no problem sitting down at that place and scarfing down that ribeye with some horrible sides.  And I'd be in pain for a week.  Then feel mentally bad about it for another two weeks.  Then in the fourth week, you could probably convince me to go back and try something new off the menu.  Anybody can sustain that kinda regiment.  It's the regular beating that gets to be trouble.  /rant

Having said all that, I eat like garbage sometimes.  But I will never, ever understand the fascination Texans have with Chicken Fried Steak or Fried Catfish. 

What would the impact be on the obesity epidemic if 90% of all people did 3 things:

1. Spent at least 30 minutes exercising as rigorously as possible every day, outdoors if possible.

2. Consumed at least 30g of dietary fiber from food every day.

3. Got a minimum of 8 hours of sleep every night.

I honestly think if you could effect those 3 changes, it would not matter how insidious the food lobby is, how convenient and cheap shitty food is, or how little people understood about nutrition and their bodies, I don’t think we’d have an obesity problem.

My solution is hammering hammering hammering at every angle that people need to exercise, consume low calorie foods, and get enough sleep.  I think that would solve our obesity problem and make a huge dent in the number of people suffering from depression.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I’m POSITIVE that fried gizzards are good for you. Maybe I don’t have “facts,” or “evidence,” but I know I’m right.

Having said all that, I eat like garbage sometimes.  But I will never, ever understand the fascination Texans have with Chicken Fried Steak or Fried Catfish. 

Well, that’s because you’re a communist terrorist who hates America. It’s the only explanation.

And I love stuff like that (and need to eat less of it), but goddamn….I eat it every couple of weeks, not every day. And again, that still puts me in bad shape…we have a shitload of Americans who eat stuff like that every day. So they’re in TERRIBLE shape.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Don’t eat at restaurants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm sure the coleslaw is made with a delightful vinaigrette and isn't just a bunch of cabbage with mayo dumped on it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

What would the impact be on the obesity epidemic if 90% of all people did 3 things:

1. Spent at least 30 minutes exercising as rigorously as possible every day, outdoors if possible.

I honestly think if you could effect those 3 changes, it would not matter how insidious the food lobby is, how convenient and cheap shitty food is, or how little people understood about nutrition and their bodies, I don’t think we’d have an obesity problem.

My solution is hammering hammering hammering at every angle that people need to exercise, consume low calorie foods, and get enough sleep.  I think that would solve our obesity problem and make a huge dent in the number of people suffering from depression.

1/3 of 'Murica almost mounted a rebellion when a  first lady suggested healthy school lunches.  Good luck w/ the above.

In all seriousness, the populace doesn't stand a chance.   When I was a kid there weren't 3 fast food joints on every corner.  Now there, literally, are.  We are bombarded w/ ff advertising 24/7, social media exacerbates it even more.   Hell, there are damn near blood feuds on here over ff preferences.  America takes its shitty food seriously.  We love poison. 

I think I can count on two hands the number of times my family had a weekday meal my mom didn't home-cook, my entire time growing up.  FF and restaurants were weekend things, at best.  Now, ff and restaurant meals probably make up 30-40% of an average family's weekly meals.  A waste of money and nutrition. 

Our lifestyles are shit.  We sit for entertainment, we sit to commute, we sit to work, we sit to play (see video games and consumer sports)....we are as sedentary as a society could possibly be.  Hell, we celebrate it. 

Combine that w/ the stress of unfulfilling careers, shitty and abusive marriages and an environment that is becoming more hostile by the year and, honestly, we're probably fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

No, I'm not judging the eating of crappy food.  As I stated above, in moderation it's okay for two reasons---your body can easily process it and the misery you feel afterwards reminds you to avoid for a few weeks.  But the chicken friend steak thing is just weird.  Just have the steak.  Don't fry it and save up the calories for something like a fun side dish or more booze.  Even in my most gluttonous moments or drunken eating spurs, my body still fundamentally knows without fancy calorie counting apps or diet guidebooks---not coating the red meat in friend flour means we get to not shit perpendicular 3 days from now, and in fact---we can enjoy the steak with another glass of wine or two. We all make bad decisions eating-wise, but the fried red meat thing just always blew me away. /rant

Michael Pollan had a great  point in an interview once when I got the sense he knew he was getting too nerdy and judgmental.  Talked about how he loved grilled bacon cheeseburgers with homemade fries.  But he couldn't bring himself to make them at home for himself except for maybe twice a month.  That was his cheat meal and that was his barometer.  If I can't psyche myself up to cook it, I shouldn't be eating it.  I can motive myself every two weeks to eat this meal, then that's what I'll do.  Almost everyone can easily process a high grease, high sodium big meal like that with a couple of cold beers and a gluttonous desert to boot...if you do it every two weeks.  and that's what most people did up until about the 1980's or so.  What you can't do is eat Chick-Fil-A three times a week for lunch, eat out two other times for dinner, and then takeout with the kids twice.  At least, I can't.  I can probably have one shitty meal out a week, which is still way too much.  Anything more than that and I'm just miserable and I've finally listened to my body during pandemic about how to structure meal plans.  /secondrant

I'm not a sweets guy at all.  I'm a savory guy.  And then booze.  And nobody will ever take health advice from me...but it has got to be the easiest fucking thing in America to do for dietary reasons.  Forget Keto, Vegan, Gluten, South Beach, Atkins, et. al.  They're tough to follow and expensive.  Forget where to eat and where not to eat.  Forget Whole Foods v. Wal-Mart.  Just try one thing for a month.  And it's so fucking easy because you don't have to do a fucking thing.  Buy what you buy, eat what you eat, sit when you sit, don't do shit when don't do shit.  Only tip is don't add salt to your food.  At home, at the office, at the restaurant, don't ask for it at the drive-thru.  Just skip the extra salt.  Don't even buy lower sodium foods or whatever.  Get the same shit, eat it as fast as you want.  Just don't shake extra salt on it.  That's all.  Takes less than zero activity on your end.  Easiest way to get started on a better diet is by exclusion.  Don't worry about fat content, complex carbs, fiber, any of that shit...don't even care about how much sodium is already in it.  Just put away salt shakers at home and just be quiet when they ask you about condiments at the restaurant.  Just for a month, try it for a week.  Blows any other diet tip out of the water because it's not a diet tip.  It's just you eating your food faster than you already do. 

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Don’t eat at restaurants.

Seriously. If you need to Lose weight and eat healthy it seems damn near impossible doing so if you frequent restaurants.  Only restaurant I can think of off the top of my head that seems to have a lot of healthy options is Panera and Panera kinda sucks. 

Define 30 grams of dietary fiber.

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'll with the fried livers, bowl of gravy on side.  Then I'll have the fried catfish, coleslaw and mashed potatoes no gravy, oh, and a sweet tea.  Thank you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I'll with the fried livers, bowl of gravy on side.  Then I'll have the fried catfish, coleslaw and mashed potatoes no gravy, oh, and a sweet tea.  Thank you. 

Love fried chicken livers with a wedge of lemon squeezed on top.  We go to a place that gives you an order 2 people could eat. I get 2 sometimes 3 meals out of one order.  And, it's half sweet/Half unsweet tea for the win.

Portions are a huge problem here in 'Merica as well. Waaay too much food on the plate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Ribeye and a house salad with vinaigrette.  Tell them how you like it cooked and to hold salt, seasonings, etc.  Skip the rolls, fried crap, etc.  Not easy, but not impossible either.  

Basically what I had for dinner last night.  Baked green beans tossed in a little olive oil and salt/pepper and pork chops for me and the boy.  Cast iron seared with a little oil, salt and pepper.  Made couscous for him as well as he loves it and he's trying to put on weight.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just find what works for you.  My wheelhouse is protein and veggies.  I'm pretty active and workout most days, so I'm eating grams of protein in triple digits and supplement with tons of veggies and rice.  As I get older, I try to keep my glicemic index low as it runs in the family.  Keeps me lean and with decent energy levels.  I skip of course but have been good about getting back on the path.  

Pain and discomfort are good motivators, and eating like crap for too long kicks in me feeling crappy, lethargic, and engenders tons of inflammation issues.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

His overarching point was that the ultimate bedrock here is personal responsibility.

And your point Celery Man seems to be, "well why are you wishing for something that is long gone, if it ever even existed, because the root cause is obviously external and not an internal issue" (because if it were internal, that would be admitting to a decay in society/culture, at some level, over time).

And I get that "personal responsibility" is a punchline in 2021 because the party of it doesn't have it and the other party never pretended to, but at the individual and micro level, it used to be something we took pride in and would strive for.

I don't know the answer now that personal responsibility seems like something we aren't capable of internalizing, but I think we are all on the same page of identifying obesity/fat people as a growing trend over time and a problem. It's obviously not a crisis because we don't have a shared incentive for it to be, but I guarantee if we were all on a nationalized healthcare system, there would be a lot more hell to pay both socially and emotionally and financially for being fat and a drag on the community. Maybe that's the answer to get some accountability back into the equation instead of pretending Lizzo The Stallion and plus-sized modeling in Target fliers are positive and healthy and helpful.

Does it hurt to keep nailing yourself to a cross or do you get used to it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My cousin lost approximately 180 pounds over the course of a year and a half. He started spin cycling, power walking, and Pilates. He did resistance training and lifting weights. He drank only water or carbonated water. His diet was super rigid and he hit plateaus throughout the process. He is now 175 pounds (5’10”). It will always be a struggle for him but he has learned to eat the bad stuff (that we all like in moderation.) He mainly ate these chicken wraps every single day with avocado and cheese and ranch dressing. Sounds like a blast but it worked for him—he worked with a dietician at his gym in the small town where he lived. I’m proud of him but I know he stresses about his weight to this day. It’s never off his thoughts. But to do what he did in the time he did it—no surgery. He is a manager of a bank so fairly long hours but always finds time to workout every day. I’m not saying it works for every person. He had been overweight his whole life. It’s always been a struggle for him. He will always have to fight it. But he was looking at creeping up slowly to 400 pounds if he didn’t do something. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

My cousin lost approximately 180 pounds over the course of a year and a half. He started spin cycling, power walking, and Pilates. He did resistance training and lifting weights. He drank only water or carbonated water. His diet was super rigid and he hit plateaus throughout the process. He is now 175 pounds (5’10”). It will always be a struggle for him but he has learned to eat the bad stuff (that we all like in moderation.) He mainly ate these chicken wraps every single day with avocado and cheese and ranch dressing. Sounds like a blast but it worked for him—he worked with a dietician at his gym in the small town where he lived. I’m proud of him but I know he stresses about his weight to this day. It’s never off his thoughts. But to do what he did in the time he did it—no surgery. He is a manager of a bank so fairly long hours but always finds time to workout every day. I’m not saying it works for every person. He had been overweight his whole life. It’s always been a struggle for him. He will always have to fight it. But he was looking at creeping up slowly to 400 pounds if he didn’t do something. 

Good on him.  Seems like he really dialed in his discipline and it has been paying off!

• Hook 'Em 1

When I was 20, after running a marathon and consuming food/fuel in bulk to account for the amount of running I was doing at the time, I weighed 185 (I would love to weigh 185 now).  But, at the time, I decided that I needed to get my weigh back down.  I already ran and lifted weights regularly.  So that wasn't the change that needed to occur.

On a whim, I bought these hypnosis weight loss tapes from Sharper Image.  Yeah, I know.  Anyway, I listened to the first side of the first tape about six times and didn't bother with the rest.  Whether it was hypnosis or good advise that I opened myself up to doesn't matter.  The message was spot on.

Basically, it was this.  Eat 3 meals per day and sit down to do so.  Chew your food slowly.  Drink water with and between meals.  Be mindful with each bite of food about whether you have begun to feel the least bit full.  When you realize that you are beginning to get full, stop.  Wrap the rest of the meal up and put it in the refrigerator.  This was the kicker.  You are not going to run out of food.  "There will be plenty for you to eat at your next meal." 

So what happened?  I didn't change what I ate.  I changed how I ate.  And I lost nearly 40 pounds over a relatively short period of time.  I got to the point of having to try to gain weight back, which sucks because after you eat like this for a week or so, it takes a lot less food to get full. 

Now part of the success was the fact that I was 20 years old with a great metabolism.  And eventually, in part because I had to gain some weight back because I was skinny as hell, I lost some of the habits.  I've tried this on several occasions since that time with moderate success, but I've never replicated that first attempt.

Just one anecdotal take on the struggle.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Be mindful with each bite of food about whether you have begun to feel the least bit full.  When you realize that you are beginning to get full, stop. 

there is a lot of truth to that.  i will wolf down food that I like way too fast.  will never wait on a "Hey bud, I am full, you can stop inhaling this stuff" from the stomach.  I listen to the dopamine/serotonin spike in my brain that says "MOAR!!"  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5.gif

Yep. My cousin would get so frustrated when people would call what he was/still is doing a diet. He is like, “it’s a fucking lifestyle change.” He realized  that for him it had to be…not just do all this work so he could binge. If he wants a steak he has one. If he wants pizza he gets it. But he knows he has to make sacrifices to have all the things we all love to eat. I honestly couldn’t believe his diet. Three choices for breakfast (eggs and turkey bacon or turkey sausage; oatmeal with blueberries; or a turkey bacon/sausage wrap with some shredded cheese and lettuce). Two choices for lunch tuna fish or chicken wraps with lettuce, avocado, shredded cheese and a drizzle of ranch. Dinner was grilled chicken breast with veggies. Water with everything. He’d get those Miso flavored water drops for some contrast. Snacks were a handful of nuts in between meals or four apple slices with peanut butter. That’s fucking it. He wouldn’t eat past 5:30 and didn’t eat again until breakfast which was between 7-8. I don’t know how he did it but he was motivated. Same shit every day. Bringing his food to hang with friends. Never deviated. But because he did that he can now have the foods he was craving and we all crave and it doesn’t kick his ass. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t know how he did it but he was motivated. Same shit every day. Bringing his food to hang with friends. Never deviated.

Discipline.  Not motivation.  Sounds like he figured out the difference between food as fuel vs mouth pleasure.  My "diet" during COVID is like groundhog day.  Wife gives me shit for eating roughly the same stuff each day.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Last time I really tried to lose weight a few years ago I dropped nearly 40 with regular P90X and minimizing grease and sugar and generally eating with the mindset that I need to eat just enough to take the hunger edge off. Worked like a charm.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Last time I really tried to lose weight a few years ago I dropped nearly 40 with regular P90X and minimizing grease and sugar and generally eating with the mindset that I need to eat just enough to take the hunger edge off. Worked like a charm.

P90X is a butt kicker.  Tough stuff

P90X is a butt kicker.  Tough stuff

Honestly depends on how you do it. It can be as easy or as tough as you want to make it. Even if you take it easy the whole way through, you are still moving in good ways for +/- an hour most days.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

The main thing that surprises me is that we've gotten 10 pages deep in this thread without the keto cheerleaders taking over the thread with a bunch of pompom waving about how if you eat more than 1 gram of carbs ever you might as well drink a gallon of bleach. 

Or the vegan cross fitt gym rats

6JkC.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Honestly depends on how you do it. It can be as easy or as tough as you want to make it. Even if you take it easy the whole way through, you are still moving in good ways for +/- an hour most days.

No.  It works for sure.  I tried to keep up on the more advanced speed/tempo.  That didn't last long......

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Have your wife leave you.  That will get the weight off in a hurry.

Yeah, that worked for me too. 

I lost 120 lbs of ugly fat*

*actually, she was a smoke show, but crazy as a shithouse rat. 

I was trying a juice thing just before the pandemic, which was fine for me to an extent - eat a reasonable lunch, green juice for dinner. I should actually make some juice again as that was good. But right around pandemic times I tried making a shake and goddamn that is one of my favorite things on the planet. Yogurt, milk, oats, frozen strawberries and blueberries, a banana, cinnamon and nutmeg. I think it works out to ~600 calories and that gets me to dinner, and I can't wait to make it every morning.

A thing that bugs me that i need to think through at some point - if I'm at a salad bar, I can and will make a kickass salad that I want to eat. And I just can't quite translate that into "i'm buying salad stuff and eating salads at home or in a packed lunch". Skinniest I've been in a long time was when I (had to) quit booze entirely and was just eating cereal for breakfast and then salads.

Ci CI's says hold my beer!

I don’t think so. Pancho’s was something else. I was pretty much a human dumpster back in the day and that south Austin Pancho’s was a little much to take. Though we did fuck it up plenty. There was a serious price to be paid though.

6 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Have your wife leave you.  That will get the weight off in a hurry.

Worked differently in my situation.  Was in great shape when I divorced my ex and have maintained that, but she proceeded to gain about 35lbs after the divorce.  Re-entering the market apparently isn't a motivator for everyone.

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I don’t think so. Pancho’s was something else. I was pretty much a human dumpster back in the day and that south Austin Pancho’s was a little much to take. Though we did fuck it up plenty. There was a serious price to be paid though.

True.  Had each "all you can eat" places mapped out back in the day.  From the China Wok-type buffet places to Gatti-Town to these mentioned.  These were back in the days of playing sports and I'd a whole pizza before bed or 3-4 PB&J sammiches (coaches orders) to try and gain weight.  

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

We had a flauta contest one time at Pancho's. One dude downed 36 flautas over a 90 minute period. 2nd place guy stopped at 30 and then went straight to the bathroom but then tried to rejoin and after some arguing we decided bowel movements were a disqualification. Later we had a keg of Shiner and they both ended up barfing due to bellies full of Pancho’s flautas and chugging Shiner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Each order should have come with a box of baby wipes.....