2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So lata bitch to dog shit players and oh hiiiii girl to better portal players?

I think Sark is on the verge of losing the locker room and this season could end in disastrous fashion, including losing some good players to the portal.

But I think our portal prospects are better than we realize. I think we are about to be on an emotional rollercoaster.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

I think Sark is on the verge of losing the locker room and this season could end in disastrous fashion, including losing some good players to the portal.

But I think our portal prospects are better than we realize. I think we are about to be on an emotional rollercoaster.

Im Sure This Has Been Fed But Whatevs GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

11 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Our fan base and fan sites always handle these moments well.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

We signed 6 transfers last year and Worthy. That was with a staff that got hired after the initial flurry of players portaled and transferred. The staff will have been in place for this whole cycle and have a good idea of what we need. There have been multiple people with inside information saying we would be very active in the portal and look to churn the roster since early in the season. You're being a whiny little bitch.

We had 19 freshman signees and 7 transfers. Not sure how many early enrollees counted against the previous year, but it's not like we had unlimited scholarships available. 25 was still the limit last year.

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

We had 19 freshman signees and 7 transfers. Not sure how many early enrollees counted against the previous year, but it's not like we had unlimited scholarships available. 25 was still the limit last year.

https://www.on3.com/news/ncaa-approves-one-year-waiver-roster-relief-transfer-portal/

13 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Losing the locker room in year 1 would be a big red flag for me. Even if it is mostly related to wins/losses. Can’t imagine that helps recruiting/portal either.

With that said, the team clearly need a culture overhaul. Maybe this expedited things. 

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Yes, that's for this year.

The whiny idiots that think we should have signed 20 freshmen and gotten 20 new players from the portal last year don't know how to count.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I mean…fuck it. Besides Bijan and X, everyone else can kick rocks. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Maybe if his talents were better he might have been appreciated. If you are a LB and can’t get on the field with the scrubs we have then you kinda suck.

That assumes the coaches can identify personnel correctly and play the best lineups. Based on what we’ve seen this year, that would be quite the assumption to make. 

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

Definitely not selling hope. But if I were forced to bet, I’d bet that the reality of our immediate situation is worse than we realize in the locker room, and the reality of the future of the program is more positive than it seems. 

I said this a few times over the last couple weeks, but whatever culture was left by Herman is cancerous at best. He started hearing the urban rumors before he was really fired, so what kind of awful shit was he saying/doing to the players/program once his give a fuck went to full zero. You take over a prison that was being ran by the inmates and a lot of bad shit has to happen before any good shit does. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I cheerlead for Cooks during his recruitment because I was smelling disaster at LB coming and we needed takes.  Not because he was some transcendent player.  Morice Blackwell has played on special teams and came inches away from a punt block return TD.  If Cooks can't put the time in and has momma cheering him to move on then that's the type of player entitlement that isn't doing the team any good

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

What?  We hired him before the season was even over for Bama.  Most players were just wrapping up their bowl games.  I get what you're saying, but they clearly made an effort to upgrade LB and Edge and had no problem finding bodies.  They did not do the same for OL and WR.  What most likely happened was they thought they could coach these players up.  They were over confident in their abilities as coaches and they clearly were not able to evaluate the roster on the offensive side.  I really liked the Sark hire, I thought this guy really understood football on a micro level and could help this program.  As the season is playing out, I'm coming to the realization that he's an unbelievable play caller but sucks as a head coach and cannot close in recruiting.  I also picked us to go 8-4 or 9-3 this year.  Completely reasonable expectations which he is clearly failing to meet.  

We had a billion WR and OL on the roster and like 1 LB. They foolishly assumed some of those players were serviceable, yet they still managed to get the 2nd best player on offense

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Definitely not selling hope. But if I were forced to bet, I’d bet that the reality of our immediate situation is worse than we realize in the locker room, and the reality of the future of the program is more positive than it seems. 

This is definitely a transition year for the Texas Football Program.

Yeah, sugarcoating and "smoke and mirrors" positive type comments about where Texas currently is won't help in the long run.   During this month, Texas coaches and player personnel staff must evaluate the returning roster for 2022, and decide who can be productive going forward and who needs to find a new home.

And current Texas players need to decide if they are in or out -- this footall team doesn't need anymore wishy-washy shit from players.  

Portal activity should really increase both directions for Texas during this off-season.   SARK better work his ass off to rebuild this fuckin' roster -- figure out what you currently have, and what you must add for the 2022 season to improve this team.  There are no excuses for not bringing in the right type of new players for the right roster spots going into the 2022 season.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

God damm,  I'm glad I don't live in social media times.

I think I would go hide in South America if my mother posted something that  said "proud mommy" about something I did concerning the football team that all the world could see. 

It's sure a different world we live in now.

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, Big Woodrows said:

Portal talk from IT

Hide contents

Along with being frustrating, Texas' season has unquestionably been disappointing. In some ways it's shown the program to be more of a rebuild than I previously anticipated. Disappointing. In other ways it has offered tantalizing glimpses of what can be and what I thought we'd see more of. Frustrating.

While Texas has enough talent on hand to have a better record than 4-4, it clearly needs an infusion almost across the board. In previous eras a rebuild would take at least a couple of classes. But, my friends, we are in the portal era and nobody should benefit more between now and next season than Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian.

Advantages for Texas will include numbers, a relatively new staff with tentacles reaching across the country, playing time, a still strong staff reputation, and attractive program upside. Yes, you can sell upside even in losses.

We're not going to speculate on departures but we recognize we're in a different era so we won't be as mum as we have been in the past. When the time is right, on a case by case basis we'll delicately discuss those who are likely on their way out. This is recruiting after all.

Let's get to needs.

Quarterback: 1

As it sits right now, Texas' future at quarterback looks less certain than it did at the beginning of the season. There is still some runway for clarity to emerge, but right now we have quarterback as a definitive portal need. Even if the position becomes solidified by season's end, the coaches would have to guard against a potential exit. Beyond Casey Thompson and Hudson Card, there's still uncertainty given youth and Maalik Murphy needing time to incubate.

Running Back: 0

Texas is set for next year with Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson, and Jonathon Brooks. Texas should hold on and sign Jamarion Miller and Jaydon Blue.

The chance to play with Bijan Robinson should benefit the staff's pursuits at every other offensive position, notably...

Offensive Line: 2-3

Who wouldn't want to block for Robinson?

The portal is tricky to navigate. You don't want to jump the gun and take someone when a better option could emerge a day later. This is where numbers will be on UT's side. Similar to high school recruiting, the staff should snag a floor-setter early. That is someone who addresses a need and upgrades the roster but might not be a sure-fire starter.

Texas desperately needs a quality tackle and guard (or two tackles that allows a tackle to move to guard) and if they can find them for the spring semester that might out-weigh waiting until next summer. When we say quality, we're not saying all-world or anything, but even given scarcity, quality offensive linemen can be found in the portal.

Wide Receiver: 1-2

The number here will fluctuate depending on how high school recruiting shakes out. If the staff gets Evan Stewart, he'll be catching balls as early as Xavier Worthy.

Texas hasn't shown interest in Syracuse transfer Taj Harris. Harris would upgrade the position but the staff probably views him as fungible to what will enter the portal in the coming months.

Sark's ability to get receivers open, playing time, and Bijan dictating numbers should help coaches land a good receiver, but resolution will be needed at quarterback to truly set Texas up to succeed in landing a ready-made transfer.

No matter what happens -- Jordan Whittington returning and playing well, Troy Omeire returning next year, landing Stewart, etc. -- Texas needs to add a reliable receiver at minimum.

Tight End: 0-1

It'll be unfortunate if the staff feels the need to portal shop for a tight end but Jared Wiley's struggles as a blocker might necessitate it. Beyond Wiley, Texas will be young at the position. Talented, but young.

EDDGE: 1-2

Currently Alfred Collins mans the position but his NFL position is playing inside. Finding a starter level Jack that allows him to move may have to come internally, perhaps from Barryn Sorrell. Finding a quality starter in the portal will prove difficult but the staff will certainly be on the lookout.

On the other side, Ovie Oghoufo will be the assumptive starter with Ayodele Adeoye, Derrick Harris Jr., and Prince Dorbah behind him. This position will be easier to find than Jack so the staff may keep its head on a swivel but the need isn't quite as drastic. True freshman early enrollees Justice Finkley or Anthony Jones could also factor here despite Jack being their longterm projection.

Interior Defensive Line: 0

The big offseason win would be to gain the ability to move Collins home and Bo Davis getting him playing up to his potential. Texas may lose a player or two from this grouping this offseason but it will still have depth and talent. Unless a swing guy with inside/outside ability comes available, I bet they'll stand pat here unless Keondre Coburn departs for some reason. We expect him to return at this time.

Linebacker: 1

It seems the staff will prioritize know-how more than measurables (Harold Perkins doesn't count, he's his own animal). That will expand the pool of acceptable targets and I wouldn't be surprised by an off-the-wall take from a smaller school.

Coach Choate has pieces to develop but the staff will want to go into next year with more proven experience.

Cornerback: 0

With the emergence of Jahdae Barron and the ability of Kitan Crawford, Texas should be good here. Plus, Inside Texas isn't exactly writing off D'Shawn Jamison returning for next season. Freshman Ishmael Ibraheem being hurt earlier in the year will slow his development down, but fellow freshman Jamier Johnson should be able to provide depth next season.

With the high priority on cornerback play they're hard to find in free agency. They're hard to find in recruiting, too, but Texas is still in it for five-stars Denver Harris and Terrance Brooks with early playing time being part of the pitch.

Safety: 1

Like his high school teammate Jamison, Anthony Cook may also return next year. That would give the coaches some flexibility between corner/nickel/safety. The staff could leave Cook at nickel, or perhaps play Kitan Crawford there and try Cook at safety.

Chris Adimora and Jerrin Thompson will be penciled in as starters in the spring. Behind them it's pretty thin. True freshman Bryan Allen Jr. is an early enrollee but barring the flip of an elite target I bet they'll find a heady, sure-tackling safety to shore things up.

Portal action will pick up in December as guys looking for a new home by mid-January will need to act quickly. The portal will become even more active throughout the spring ahead of players leaving for new schools in June.

Bump...  Thx @Big Woodrows

• Hook 'Em 2

This is definitely a transition year for the Texas Football Program.
Yeah, sugarcoating and "smoke and mirrors" positive type comments about where Texas currently is won't help in the long run.   During this month, Texas coaches and player personnel staff must evaluate the returning roster for 2022, and decide who can be productive going forward and who needs to find a new home.
And current Texas players need to decide if they are in or out -- this footall team doesn't need anymore wishy-washy shit from players.  
Portal activity should really increase both directions for Texas during this off-season.   SARK better work his ass off to rebuild this fuckin' roster -- figure out what you currently have, and what you must add for the 2022 season to improve this team.  There are no excuses for not bringing in the right type of new players for the right roster spots going into the 2022 season.

Not enough random all caps. This is plagiarized
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, golfclap said:

Agreed. There are several guys listed in that article that should have been playing A LOT more already this year that I fully expect to portal out. There are a couple who considered the portal in the spring and were talked back down and it doesn't sound like we should expect them back. If anything that list has grown over this season. 

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, there’s really no reason for Sark and Co. to do anything other than take double digit transfers. Basically No one on our roster is improving and we’re hitting the 2019-21 recruiting classes, which were pretty terrible, so there’s not really any reason to expect internal improvement next year. 

On 11/2/2021 at 6:11 PM, Barbacoa said:

Keep in mind I doubt that article is all just Nahlin’s opinion. I think he has good info and I put stock into much of what he says. I’m fairly confident his personal numbers would be higher as well. 

5 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Was just told the staff is doing their best to wade these new portal waters. Honestly it sounds very difficult and there isn’t any real precedent for some of this stuff since the rules have changed. 

I don’t have any names but that’s bc there aren’t names being given. It has to remain quiet for obvious reasons. As I mentioned above, it isn’t all the stimulating exercise of seeing how we can improve our team through the portal. It’s also the energy draining exercise of trying to prevent some of our own guys from saying sayonara. That’s the new normal. I think by reading between the lines the portal has priority over the recruiting trail.

I think that underscores how important NIL deals are in relation to traditional recruiting activities. Friendly reminder that we are in uncharted territory in terms of the legal impact the average fan like us can make on the future success of the team. It’s pretty fucking cool honestly. 

5 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

I’ll also add that the staff seems unnaturally quiet. And I think matters of the portal require silent running of the ambush submarine. Not saying that’s what is going on, but it would make 100% sense. 

Gonna be an interesting ride between adding/losing players from "The Portal" and also managing numbers in this 2022 Recruiting Class...

Not sure this is the right recruiting class  (2022) to be offering scholarship spots to a kicker and long-snapper though... 

Will Stone  Regents School (Austin, TX)     Kicker

6-0 / 175   0.8115     Commit 6/15/2021

Lance St. Louis Williams Field (Gilbert, AZ)    Long-Snapper

6-1 / 215.    0.7731     Commit 6/7/2021

Edited by LTtxfan
I suck editing
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)