2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

So in the last hour or 2 I’ve read a red shirt freshman is a career backup and our incoming DE may never be good because his dad in 1991 only gained about 10lbs playing here.   Jfc 

Come on, the surly moose out front should have told you….we’re miserable when things are going bad and even worse when good things happen.
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

So in the last hour or 2 I’ve read a red shirt freshman is a career backup and our incoming DE may never be good because his dad in 1991 only gained about 10lbs playing here.   Jfc 

It gets weirder - because that's not even the incoming DE (Burke) - that's his teammate at Westlake, Colton Vasek (2023 DE - who doesn't have an offer), whose Dad played at Texas.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

You still better not start posting gifs, though.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I was responding to someone asking why this recruitment wasn't getting more hype.  He played in six total games in 2 years.  He didn't play special teams.  When you have 5 DB's on the field against most offenses, he got almost no playing time.  Does that mean he's terrible? No.  Does that mean he's going to bust here? No. Does that mean he's going to be a career backup here too? No.  It just means there's legitimate reasons to not get too high on someone who hasn't shown he's starter material yet. 

And yes, there are examples of backups blowing up elsewhere. I hope it happens here too, but let's also acknowledge that the Jameson Williams of the world are more of the exception rather than the rule. 

Great points.  Let's have a Surly Séance and pray for Schooler's return.  WTF?

9 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I was responding to someone asking why this recruitment wasn't getting more hype.  He played in six total games in 2 years.  He didn't play special teams.  When you have 5 DB's on the field against most offenses, he got almost no playing time.  Does that mean he's terrible? No.  Does that mean he's going to bust here? No. Does that mean he's going to be a career backup here too? No.  It just means there's legitimate reasons to not get too high on someone who hasn't shown he's starter material yet. 

And yes, there are examples of backups blowing up elsewhere. I hope it happens here too, but let's also acknowledge that the Jameson Williams of the world are more of the exception rather than the rule. 

He played in 19 games, including one start and twelve appearances this year

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

He played in 19 games, including one start and twelve appearances this year

I accept the correction.  The logs I looked at only showed games where he recorded stats. I guess he played special teams in some capacity then. He has no stats for those 13 other games. 

Edited by RabidM

7 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I accept the correction.  I guess the logs I looked at only showed games where he recorded stats. I guess he played special teams in some capacity then. He has no stats for those 13 other games. 

Ewers could not get in the lineup at either qb or special teams.  Career backup or outright bum?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, RabidM said:

The Ewers situation really was unique. It's not correlative. 

i mean Ewers wasn't going to start at Ohio State next season. It's almost like having 5 star caliber players that are older make it difficult to start at schools such as Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia. 

You are really doubling down on stupid. By your own argument, Ewers would have been a career backup this time next year if he stayed at Ohio State. 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think its at least in part because we were told early we were the favorite and then there has been zero news since then.

I'll be fucking thrilled when he does commit.  We need DB help in the worst way (especially guys we can play on an island) - and I'm not going to be shocked if its Watts and Brooks starting this season.

I wouldn't be surprised at some point if our 5 best/talented DB's are Barron, Watts, Crawford, Cook, and Brooks.  Bryan Allen being an EE will help as well.  Would also like to see JD Coffey more.  The knucklehead Ibraheem is probably gone and we pretty much know what Jerrin Thompson is.  Jamier Johnson??  I'm higher on Guilbeau than others on here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

i mean Ewers wasn't going to start at Ohio State next season. It's almost like having 5 star caliber players that are older make it difficult to start at schools such as Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia. 

You are really doubling down on stupid. By your own argument, Ewers would have been a career backup this time next year if he stayed at Ohio State. 

No, it really was unique. He showed up a season earlier than the coaches expected him, due to NIL, and he missed the first camp.  I believe he is the only player to have ever done this. 

• Fuck You 2

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wouldn't be surprised at some point if our 5 best/talented DB's are Barron, Watts, Crawford, Cook, and Brooks.  Bryan Allen being an EE will help as well.  Would also like to see JD Coffey more.  The knucklehead Ibraheem is probably gone and we pretty much know what Jerrin Thompson is.  Jamier Johnson??  I'm higher on Guilbeau than others on here.

Where’s Jamison?

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Ohio State boards aren't happy. They thought Watts was good and the only reason he wasn't starting was due to shitty coaching by their now demoted defensive coordinator. 

Yeah - when Watts first entered the portal, they were not happy to see that happen.  At least on 247, they were displeased, pretty much across the board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Yeah - when Watts first entered the portal, they were not happy to see that happen.  At least on 247, they were displeased, pretty much across the board.

He committed to OU first and was either #1 or 2 on the Sooners board (Manning at Oregon was the other top CB). He's a good one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

No... that second part is not our incoming DE from Westlake (Ethan Burke), but his partner in crime on the other edge, Colton Vasek ('23) 

I was trying to figure out how someone who played in 19 games in two years could be a redshirt freshman. But I assume they just tack on the covid year to everyone’s eligibility now. After playing in 7 games as true freshman and 12 games this year they would have to be giving  Watts a covid year. Maybe all y’all already knew that and I’m just the dumb one. Carry on. 

I was trying to figure out how someone who played in 19 games in two years could be a redshirt freshman. But I assume they just tack on the covid year to everyone’s eligibility now. After playing in 7 games as true freshman and 12 games this year they would have to be giving  Watts a covid year. Maybe all y’all already knew that and I’m just the dumb one. Carry on. 

We all knew. Well, maybe not everyone, but yeah everyone. It’s ok, we all have our blond moments on here from time to time.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I might have missed another post, but it was less than 10 lbs and it was the 2023 kid that is not committed to us. 

BobbyBurton

The addition of Ryan Watts via the transfer portal continues a theme in this recruiting class for Texas, particularly on defense.

The Horns are adding length in the secondary, along with a more physical mindset overall from its recruits and now transfers.

Watts checks in at 6-foot-3 1/4 and 205 pounds with an 80-inch wingspan. At that size, he just won’t have the problems getting off blocks that so many Texas defenders had a year ago.

While linebacker play was particularly concerning against the run a year ago, the secondary was perhaps just as bad. Safeties couldn’t close and make enough tackles in space and cornerbacks, other than Josh Thompson, couldn’t get off blocks in routine fashion.

Adding a player like Watts should help the Texas run defense even though cornerbacks aren’t typically a focal point of run defense.

Where else does Texas need to look in the portal for immediate help?

I’d suggest wide receiver, tight end, linebacker and safety.

I’d even consider doubling up at receiver given Jordan Whittington’s repeated injury issues.

And not to pick on or point fingers at Luke Brockemeyer and DeMarvion Overshown, but both were recently ranked the very worst linebackers in the Big 12 by film grades given by Pro Football Focus.

So surely there is a linebacker out there that the Horns could pair with Jaylan Ford, who ranked in the middle of the pack in the Big 12, to become a more physical and sound football team.

The two points above - Watts and needs from the transfer portal - kind of mix into a theme for me.

To be a better defense next year, Texas needs to a) generate a better pass rush, b) be stronger at the point of attach at linebacker, c) get better safety play, and d) improve tackling generally.

Watts will help improve tackling. Maybe one of the young recruits can help with the pass rush or Ovie Oghufo improves with another year’s worth of seasoning in the scheme. The safety play should improve, but will BJ Allen be ready for prime time from day one?

At least I feel the Horns have attempted to address most of those issues in recruiting. But the one position where I don’t see it - at least not yet - is at linebacker.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)