What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Yeah....I have long-time friends who remain plugged into the DA's office.  These are far from MAGA types.  They uniformly describe the Garza administration as a shitshow.  

There's nothing wrong with having a candidate who says he'll do things right, and things that you'll like....but then his execution once he takes office is shitty....so you bail on him.  What would be stupid would be sticking with something that's not working.

A DA can emphasize both alternatives to prosecution/rehabilitative approaches AND prioritizing public safety.  It doesn't have to be either or.  Or, frankly, it doesn't have to be "I said I'd do both, but am really fucking it up."  If something we've tried isn't working - and this Garza experiment is not working - then there's no shame in making a change.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There aren't enough officers right now.  Any given shift there are sometimes only 30-40 officers for the entire city of Austin.  

That seems to be an exaggeration.  For one thing, APD is larger than it has ever been.  For another, we employ ~ 1,800 officers (as per 2022 data).  If officers are working 40-hour work weeks, then it takes ~4 per week to cover that duty (7 x 24 / 40).  1,800 officers covering 4-ish rotating duties means at any one time ~ 450 should be on the job.  Yeah, that's probably a little high, but a factor of more than 10X too high?  Even if we assume half of those officers on duty aren't actually on the road, it's an out of whack estimate.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That seems to be an exaggeration.  For one thing, APD is larger than it has ever been.  For another, we employ ~ 1,800 officers (as per 2022 data).  If officers are working 40-hour work weeks, then it takes ~4 per week to cover that duty (7 x 24 / 40).  1,800 officers covering 4-ish rotating duties means at any one time ~ 450 should be on the job.  Yeah, that's probably a little high, but a factor of more than 10X too high?  Even if we assume half of those officers on duty aren't actually on the road, it's an out of whack estimate.

But, feelings!

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ask an officer, that's not a typical number but it's occurring.  As for 1,800 officers, that's the budgeted number. Actual number barely 1,400 right now. Losing patrol faster than anyone and once others get moved to patrol they are finding new jobs outside Austin quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There aren't enough officers right now.  Any given shift there are sometimes only 30-40 officers for the entire city of Austin.  

Then why do they dedicate so many of them to traffic enforcement in the same three sections of Mopac all day long?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Ask an officer, that's not a typical number but it's occurring.  As for 1,800 officers, that's the budgeted number. Actual number barely 1,400 right now. Losing patrol faster than anyone and once others get moved to patrol they are finding new jobs outside Austin quickly.

I looked at it another way:  my commute (when I go to the office) is 7 miles.  I *always* see at least one patrol car on each leg, and I only spend a tiny fraction of that trip on anything but side streets. 

Austin has a bit over 2,500 miles of roadway, so if I'm seeing cops in a 7 mile stretch, it might imply something like 360 cops city-wide.  That's mighty close to my other estimate.  Sure, I'm often driving in higher-traffic times of the day, but I just don't buy 30-40 on the road at any time but the dead of night, that tiny window between "lots of drunks" and "oh shit it's morning rush hour".

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yep. Truth. Quite honestly, it’s what Austin deserves right now. Getting exactly what they think they want. Or been told to want.

And with our ever expanding homeless population and traffic fuckery and all these fucking people moving here…it’s important that we have FEWER officers (fabulous plan.) 

Hey, I’m all for it. fewer officers near Rainey!!!

The entertainment district just has a phantom drowning people and a few dipshits that get into shootouts on 6th who are wannabe gangsters from Killeen or drunk fucks who go batshit because they were asked to leave when the bar closed. And honestly, that’s fine too. Let them off each other. Darwinism. 

I'd let all the high crime areas police themselves (cuz it works just about as well as cops policing those neighborhoods) and have cops just patrol areas that are necessary to protect like hospitals and schools etc. 

Edited by Nicole44

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I looked at it another way:  my commute (when I go to the office) is 7 miles.  I *always* see at least one patrol car on each leg, and I only spend a tiny fraction of that trip on anything but side streets. 

Austin has a bit over 2,500 miles of roadway, so if I'm seeing cops in a 7 mile stretch, it might imply something like 360 cops city-wide.  That's mighty close to my other estimate.  Sure, I'm often driving in higher-traffic times of the day, but I just don't buy 30-40 on the road at any time but the dead of night, that tiny window between "lots of drunks" and "oh shit it's morning rush hour".

Well yeah it's night shift and maybe they are exaggerating the numbers some but that's what's been told to me. You're also likely driving during overlap periods where there are effectively twice the officers on patrol (on purpose during busy times during shift changes).  For night shift it's incredibly hard to convince normally younger officers who want to spend time with their young family to instead work at nights when everything bad typically happens.  You make them do it and hope you can manage it so they don't decide to relocate somewhere else.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:06 AM, Cap33 said:

I don't think they really give a shit about smart traffic flow. How else are they going to convince people that mass transit is the solution to their traffic woes? Meanwhile, we have City Council members talking a big game about initiatives (read: spending money) to help combat climate change. How about all the cars sitting through multiple light cycles trying to make a fucking left turn to get to work because some dipshit timed the light to let exactly four cars through during rush hour? 

We'll be reminded that improved sidewalks and bike lanes are what passed in the mobility bond. I'm not sure it would have gotten the same support if people understood the trade off of constricting traffic flow to get those improvements. 

My favorite is Airport between 2222 and Lamar.

holy hell I feel like they been working on god knows what (all I see are some new sidewalks) for this entire decade.

and the lights are complete shit anytime the train is within 5 miles.

I’ve found an alternate route I use when I need to be in that area but about once a month, I give a shot to see if things are better/construction is complete and it always ends with:

30906676-38B8-4327-B220-25628AB6E89C.gif.3550b4b5acaeb6e51a0386ea8a994160.gif 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

For night shift it's incredibly hard to convince normally younger officers who want to spend time with their young family to instead work at nights when everything bad typically happens.  You make them do it and hope you can manage it so they don't decide to relocate somewhere else.

If true, then it doesn't overlap with the vast majority of unenforced traffic fuckery being complained about on this thread.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is true, too.
Look Garza doesn’t seem to be great at his job, but he’s really a symptom, and the department suffers greatly from a combination of things. The decade of leadership vacuum and political transition at city hall that led to poor management of public safety (and much else) by the CM’s office also led directly to the collapse election of Garza. The political climate has improved  and will continue to get better and healthier.

But many of the department’s problems are self-inflicted and require wholesale change to the culture and management of the department. I’m hopeful that the interim chief is up to the task and gets the job on a permanent basis. I’m also hoping that the  new APD union head is more capable and savvy than his recent predecessors.

BTW wrt your final point about jobs outside Austin - the number of police who don’t live in the city and aren’t from the city is a major problem I’d like to see addressed. We need to reconnect the department to the community it serves. That would benefit everyone.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, Garza can get gone. 

I know a lady who's ex-husband tried to kill her, twice. His current charge (agg assault-family violence w/strangulation) carries a 2-10 year range. But he's had MULTIPLE previous convictions, so he'd be enhanced with a range up to 99 years if they charged it right. Assistant DA is not involving my friend in court dates, isn't saying anything but that "nothing is happening" and hasn't even shown interest in my friend's audio recording of the assault. ADA did ask her what she'd like to see happen, and my friend basically said, 10 years. The ADA said "oh my boss would never go for that."  

If you're not pursuing violent crime and keeping the most dangerous fuckers like this one off the street, what the FUCK are you even doing as DA?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Then why do they dedicate so many of them to traffic enforcement in the same three sections of Mopac all day long?

I assumed they enforce traffic along mopac so more of the tickets they write actually get paid and they’re less likely to get shot or run over 

racist comedy central GIF

7 hours ago, B00M said:

I assumed they enforce traffic along mopac so more of the tickets they write actually get paid and they’re less likely to get shot or run over 

And if they got shot or run over, they’d have to shut down traffic to the entire city for the cop’s funeral.

20 hours ago, bolverk said:

If it's any concern to you, it might be worthwhile to see who's funding his campaign.

And it's also worthwhile to point out that Garza is a piece-of-shit tapeworm who is an absolute disgrace to his office and the county he "serves".  Anyone would be an upgrade. 

But I've absolutely no doubt that this garbage will be re-elected because of the unbridled idiocy that is our local electorate. 

image.png.16df1c5e3cd4bdd757f993a26a5b6420.png

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 2/16/2024 at 4:00 PM, crash_davis said:

Tried to go work out. Gym was closed. Two dudes were arguing over a machine. One dude stabbed the other guy. It's closed until the cleaning crew can arrive to clean up the blood.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/la-fitness-police-austin-texas-west-anderson-lane/269-66a8727b-d9ba-4a3a-9e9d-2c415682787c

One person was arrested following a stabbing inside an LA Fitness in North Austin, according to police.

The stabbing happened at around 11:30 a.m. Friday at the gym on West Anderson Lane, near Burnet Road.

Police aren't sure what led up to the stabbing but said a man was taken into custody behind the building after running from the scene. He's expected to be charged with aggravated assault. 

The victim was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Update:

I've been going to this gym for over 6 years. I don't ever recall seeing this dude, or maybe I have but never noticed. So, a 69 year old dude who was just recently paroled from prison for being stabby in Austin stabs another dude in Austin. I admire his dedication to his craft. Why isn't he at the cheap $10/month Planet Fitness down the street? I guess after being in prison, he hates poor people.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/la-fitness-stabbing-austin-texas-may-have-started-as-dispute-over-leg-press/269-827735c9-29d2-4d58-b18b-b746a044e845

...the victim told detectives he was waiting to use the leg press when Makinson told him to find something else to do. After Makinson finished, he walked to the locker room area, which led the victim to use the leg press.

According to the affidavit, when the victim finished his workout, he and Makinson walked past each other near the locker room area when Makinson started yelling. That's when Makinson allegedly stabbed the victim in the buttocks. The victim told police Makinson then chased him through the gym while he was bleeding, stating Makinson was holding a 4- to 6-inch knife in the air.

RELATED: APD: Man arrested after stabbing inside LA Fitness in North Austin

The affidavit states people gathered around the victim to protect him from Makinson when he started yelling at them, "Who else wants some?" Police later found Makinson behind the gym where he allegedly told an officer, "I just got out of prison for this." Records show Makinson was convicted of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for another stabbing in Austin in 2011, before being paroled in 2021.

cb3516e2-1879-4f7e-9132-191fab556e42_192

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'm guessing always have a knife is a lesson learned in prison. Also, if the victim is not in the mood, create is new hole to plunder.

Personally, I'd be pissed if someone stabbed me in the ass after a leg day workout.  That is just cruel. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, B00M said:

racist comedy central GIF

I get it, but my main point is that if you have limited officer coverage, and skyrocketing crime, maybe you should dedicate fewer officer to writing tickets and more of them towards assaults and thefts. 

But we all know why. They are more concerned about revenue than actually helping stop real crimes.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Personally, I'd be pissed if someone stabbed me in the ass after a leg day workout.  That is just cruel. 

Bro, why you always skipping leg day?

"Dude, I was literally stabbed in the back of my thigh."

Even still.  

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who brings a 4-6 inch knife to the gym? 

And who stabs someone in the ass? THE ASS! 

Guessing they are describing the overall length of the knife, not the blade? A knife with a 6” blade is some Rambo shit.  My little mini-trapper is roughly 6” overall, and while it would suck to be stabbed with, would be a helluva lot better than some 6” bladed machete bullshit.  Either way, dude had some adrenaline pumping while outrunning the stabby health concious dickhead  

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Because 10 “right wing” west Austin Republicans give money to a guy slightly less left wing (but still a democrat) it’s a “concern”.

I could not care less.

Garza fucking sucks and has not done his job. He needs to go. End of story.

In any rational political environment the opposition candidate should be able to sweep the floor with him based on his ACTUAL performance, but knowing how stupid and tribal our populace is, they know that there is no way that will happen if they have an R next to their name in this city.

So people who actually want the city to get better, donate to the to a more moderate opposition party candidate, and in turn that is used by the extremes as evidence to continue to support the failed incumbent.

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Guessing they are describing the overall length of the knife, not the blade? A knife with a 6” blade is some Rambo shit.  My little mini-trapper is roughly 6” overall, and while it would suck to be stabbed with, would be a helluva lot better than some 6” bladed machete bullshit.  Either way, dude had some adrenaline pumping while outrunning the stabby health concious dickhead  

I’m prepared for any kind of fuckery from the crazies….

0E353F3B-D57C-4BB7-B1F4-EA663C0E7AB4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/education/alex-okafor-pflugerville-school-board/269-99a82c6b-6aee-4124-822c-979f6c1c6f88

Alex Okafor, a former 🤘🏼Texas Football 🤘🏼and NFL star, has filed to run for the Place 1 seat of the Pflugerville ISD school board. The seat, currently held by David Aguirre, is up for election, as is Place 2, currently held by Tony Hanson.

———-

Hook’em and good for him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just a reminder for your Austin folks that early voting for the primaries is currently open. If there were a certain DA position you thought could be doing a better job with another occupant.

On 2/19/2024 at 12:00 PM, bolverk said:

If it's any concern to you, it might be worthwhile to see who's funding his campaign.

Dude, Soros funded his first go round.  Soros has no ties to Austin, it's just a goon throwing around money to get his way.  At least the local people donating are donating to affect their LOCAL municipalities.  This EXACT mindset is what's going to screw Travis County over for years to come. We'll support someone who's backed by some National Level PAC over a local moderate who's ACTUALLY qualified but has some moderates donating to his or her cause.  Then again, Austin masses are freaking idiots and refuse to vote on anything other than a letter after their name or what the Statesman endorses.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I wish one of you lawyer types always squawking on here would run for shit in Austin. 

Why would we?  To win public office, you have to appeal to idiots.

The only idiots I like to appeal to are the denizens of this board.  That's enough idiot-pandering for me.  Also, he went to Oklahoma freakshow and I am the idoit, so there's that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The only idiots I like to appeal to are the denizens of this board.  That's enough idiot-pandering for me.  Also, he went to Oklahoma freakshow and I am the idoit, so there's that.

That's a lot of words to say you have an anti-stabbing/machete stance. We are pro machete in this town, sir.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But don’t you think that makes you uniquely qualified to run? If you can be the King of the Dipshits of this palace of degenerates, you can convince and influence the entire flock man. Think! 

Hasn’t read about this case/followed it. But I guess it’s making the rounds on local news 24 years later.

Maybe he walked into the lake? I doubt it from the details of the disappearance and possible person of interest. Or maybe he’s in hiding in another country? Anyway, I was in school then and always following true crime so don’t know why I don’t remember hearing about  the below disappearance. Paresh Patel owned several bars around 6th in the late 90’s early 2000.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/6th-street-paresh-patel-dissapearance-missing-persons/269-988d4466-df7a-4d33-a4f0-d72ff90bfa16

It was September of 2000. Patel, a 36 year-old club owner and entrepreneur, was in charge of some of the hottest nightlife spots in Downtown Austin. 

"He was a a well known, established figure in the downtown entertainment district," Wood said. "He owned multiple bars."

One of those bars was called Metro. On Monday, Sept. 25, Patel swung by the club. 

"That was standard practice for him. He would pick up the weekends, take of the money," Wood said. 

Carrying a large amount of cash, Patel then made his way toward Azucar, a Latin dance club he also owned, located on Lavaca Street. 

Soon after that, he was never seen again.

Edited by Nicole44