Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

How can they still not understand the nature of a guaranteed contract with no buyout option?

Also, the Tennessee letter is an Aggie, IMHO. Sure, the entire SEC was amazed at A&M and their magnificence in getting A&M out of the Big 12 and into the SEC, a brotherhood that longed for their long lost brother to join them. 

The letter is a list of things many Aggies want to do thinking the guaranteed contract will crumble under siege.

• Hook 'Em 5

I’m not sure this is even potentially reasonable, but I haven’t heard it mentioned and I haven’t thought about it….but maybe the aTm boosters find a way to restructure his contract like Bobby Bonilla. Offer him another 23 million for an even 100, and restructure it so they pay like 5 a year for 20 years. Maybe that’s how make to possible for them to get another guy and pay NIL. 

That being said, I don’t know how the mechanics of that work either, because if Im fisher I just don’t trust any situation where that money isn’t already in escrow somewhere, which brings us back to the original problem. It’s one thing to trust a mlb organization, another a loose affiliation of boosters who fund an athletic department that had to take a loan from the academic side to expand their stadium. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

How can they still not understand the nature of a guaranteed contract with no buyout option?

Also, the Tennessee letter is an Aggie, IMHO. Sure, the entire SEC was amazed at A&M and their magnificence in getting A&M out of the Big 12 and into the SEC, a brotherhood that longed for their long lost brother to join them. 

The letter is a list of things many Aggies want to do thinking the guaranteed contract will crumble under siege.

It's more than that.  There is no offset if he gets another job.  Allows him to double dip.  

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure this is even potentially reasonable, but I haven’t heard it mentioned and I haven’t thought about it….but maybe the aTm boosters find a way to restructure his contract like Bobby Bonilla. Offer him another 23 million for an even 100, and restructure it so they pay like 5 a year for 20 years. Maybe that’s how make to possible for them to get another guy and pay NIL. 

That being said, I don’t know how the mechanics of that work either, because if In fisher I just don’t trust any situation where that money isn’t already in escrow somewhere, which brings us back to the original problem. It’s one thing to trust a mlb organization, another a loose affiliation of boosters who fund an athletic department that had to take a loan from the academic side to expand their stadium. 

And you throw in the concept of sovereign immunity where A&M could change their mind and tell him to F off like Tech did Leach.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That being said, I don’t know how the mechanics of that work either, because if Im fisher I just don’t trust any situation where that money isn’t already in escrow somewhere, which brings us back to the original problem. It’s one thing to trust a mlb organization, another a loose affiliation of boosters who fund an athletic department that had to take a loan from the academic side to expand their stadium. 

57 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

And you throw in the concept of sovereign immunity where A&M could change their mind and tell him to F off like Tech did Leach.

Just to put this concept to bed since the sovereign immunity/trustworthiness of ATM issue is already a big deal:

If the present value of the buyout, the immediate part is like $27M, which I think is close to right, then that amount invested over 20 years with a modest return of 4% annually is $61M, roughly. At just 4%, which isn’t much if you’re working with a quality wealth management firm, the return of $34M is more than the concept of just pushing it out evenly and adding $23M in the process. It would have to be a lot more dough to outweigh the notions of opportunity cost and institutional fraud protected by state law. 

*I did quick and dirty math on this. While I have a Finance degree, I am not using NPV and FV calculations regularly on what I do. Someone else who does can happily fact check but I’m doubting I’m way off and I used conservative assumptions, to boot. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Texags has a running thread about wanting Jim "the marine" Turner to come back once again and coach the OL.

He was one of the few coaches Jimbo has actually "fired" due to performance. Usually Jimbo refuses to to acknowledge mistakes and keeps guys on board, and when management tells him to make chances, he pushes back 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just to put this concept to bed since the sovereign immunity/trustworthiness of ATM issue is already a big deal:

If the present value of the buyout, the immediate part is like $27M, which I think is close to right, then that amount invested over 20 years with a modest return of 4% annually is $61M, roughly. At just 4%, which isn’t much if you’re working with a quality wealth management firm, the return of $34M is more than the concept of just pushing it out evenly and adding $23M in the process. It would have to be a lot more dough to outweigh the notions of opportunity cost and institutional fraud protected by state law. 

*I did quick and dirty math on this. While I have a Finance degree, I am not using NPV and FV calculations regularly on what I do. Someone else who does can happily fact check but I’m doubting I’m way off and I used conservative assumptions, to boot. 

Ok, so it has to be a lot more money promised. That being said...does that ENTIRELY rule out A&M from doing it? This is a fairly appopriate representation of the A&M fanbase:

Wimpy Popeye GIF - Wimpy Popeye Nodding - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ok, so it has to be a lot more money promised. That being said...does that ENTIRELY rule out A&M from doing it? This is a fairly appopriate representation of the A&M fanbase:

Wimpy Popeye GIF - Wimpy Popeye Nodding - Discover & Share GIFs

Let’s say they go aggie-stupid and offer him $10M/year for 20 years. That’s way more than reasonable in terms of beating FV of money expectations. What do you think his agent is going to talk to him about in that regard?

He’s likely to walk him through the notion of earnout risk, given the backdrop of how ATM can screw him in the future and his lack of legal recourse. “Assume you earn nothing down the line. “ Not happening. 

I’ve thought about the opposite happening for awhile. Sexton might tell him to expect nothing down the line anyway, since they could screw the guy over the current deal too. So instead of a longer term deal, they could always push for a free and clear payoff that derisks it for Fisher and reduces the obligation to ATM. “Pay me $40M now and both parties release each other and move on. “

• Hook 'Em 1

Jimbo will want more money upfront than what he's owed over the entire contract period because he's old enough to be thinking about spending money now vs getting it later when he might be dead. For that reason, I would highly doubt any plan to pay him less now and more later.  He won't do it. He'll take his 60 day money and then negotiate on the remaining $7M per year number to some sort of discount to NPV at the appropriate discount rate.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

The amount after this year is about $77M, but they owe 25% of that within 60 days.  So about $19M due up front and just over $7M for the remaining 8 years.

No clue on the rest of the staff.

So $26M instead of $27M. It’s a little less in the long run but still more than the notion of $100M over 20 years. 

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Once his settlement is finalized and the initial lump sum payment delivered, he can go to JG wentworth to get the rest and let them assume that risk. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Jimbo will want more money upfront than what he's owed over the entire contract period because he's old enough to be thinking about spending money now vs getting it later when he might be dead. For that reason, I would highly doubt any plan to pay him less now and more later.  He won't do it. He'll take his 60 day money and then negotiate on the remaining $7M per year number to some sort of discount to NPV at the appropriate discount rate.

He's just turned 58.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So $26M instead of $27M. It’s a little less in the long run but still more than the notion of $100M over 20 years. 

image.png?ex=653fd41d&is=652d5f1d&hm=6bf4e3f5e325a78ca9109535bace9a45d6765379c43ef169086f9dee2bf9ba39&

If I recall correctly 2025 would be something like 22.8-23.2 million due within 6 months with like 6.8 million recurring through 2031

What's crazy is they'll be paying 6.5+ million through 2031 if fired within the next 3 years. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

If they want to wait to pay him until the payout isn't so large it draws embarrassing headlines, that means they'd have to keep him until 2027 or 2028.

Otherwise the difference in what they're immediately out of pocket in firing him this year compared to waiting for next year is $2M.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I was bored so here is this:

image.png.140064a1e589b5000cd8613d8d5a799f.png

If I'm not mistaken the total due within 6 months for the next 3 years are all higher than Charlie Weiss and Gus Malzahn's

The first 4 years of that makes me think the guy would demand a lump sum larger than 40 million to walk away. More like 55-60, maybe. The other thing to consider, in regards to fucking him over and Soverign Immunity, is that the second aTm legit tries to fuck over Jimbo using those levers, or a trunk full of dead hookers, you have to think the cost of playing poker for any name coach after him is going to go way, way up. 

It's one thing for Tech to give what would be life changing money to a Joey Maguire or a lower cost HS coach for a few million to coach at Tech after they fucked over Mike Leach, but any high end college coach, college coordinator, or NFL retred or coordinator will absolutely balk at working at a place that actively fucked over the last guy on the contract after the fact. They'd be pissing in the pool of coaching candidates for the near and medium term if they fuck over Fisher in that regard, imo. And you KNOW Fisher won't be quiet about it. Imagine how many shitty things he'll say about aTm on the Finebaum show in one segment because he fucking talks like the goddamn micromachines pitchman. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The power of an A&M education:

image.png.fc9a7e13edf7e6baf64a13ad63621f1f.png

1 All those guys go to A&M because tradition and shit.

2 What? Lend itself to be a winning program? (see note 6)

3 What? Kids from OSU et al. provide recognition for their stars? 

4 Words of wisdom, Lloyd. Words of wisdom.

5 College man.

6 He actually re-read this and edited it. Let that sink in. 

TARP:

image.png.de3d8bdde1e505496565dfc107799da0.png

Huge fucking lie followed by absurd notion that they won some kind of victory after getting steamrolled by their SEC "brothers" into swallowing their objection to Texas coming at all and joining the unanimous vote. 

spacer.png

Beating Texas becomes their everything again. 

image.png.fbdb6d9b1b3ade44fd87120baf42bad0.png

Move over little dog cuz the big dog's movin' in.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I was bored so here is this:

image.png.140064a1e589b5000cd8613d8d5a799f.png

If I'm not mistaken the total due within 6 months for the next 3 years are all higher than Charlie Weiss and Gus Malzahn's

For reference, the recurring payment if fired within the next 2-3 years would make him a top 20 paid coach in college football. 

image.thumb.png.21c6d1a7647082a5b28fa77a1fe9b883.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Bonilla was guaranteed 8% return on his deferred money.  That's beaten the S&P500 by about half a percent over that period.  I'd certainly take that return risk free but it's also not the financial disaster for the Mets that idiot baseball writers make it out to be.

For Jimbo to defer and restrycture when treasuries are paying 5.5%, I'd think aggy would have to go higher than 8%.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, WBT said:

Bonilla was guaranteed 8% return on his deferred money.  That's beaten the S&P500 by about half a percent over that period.  I'd certainly take that return risk free but it's also not the financial disaster for the Mets that idiot baseball writers make it out to be.

For Jimbo to defer and restrycture when treasuries are paying 5.5%, I'd think aggy would have to go higher than 8%.

I believe that the Bruce Sutter deal was a better deal than the Bonilla deal because of the guaranteed return.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I believe that the Bruce Sutter deal was a better deal than the Bonilla deal because of the guaranteed return.

woah it absolutely was

is pact provided $4.8 million in deferred money that would pay 13 per cent interest over a 36-year period. Once it expired in 1990, Sutter started receiving an annual stipend of $1.3 million per year, pushing its total value to almost $50 million, making it one of the biggest in baseball at the time.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, TheRRKid said:

Incredible. Rent free. Massive decisions are boiling down to how can they have the best chance to beat us next year at Kyle.

It really is incredible to hear them publicly admitting this. Let’s play devils advocate for a moment. You fire Jimbo at the end of the 2024 season instead of 2023 just so you have a chance at winning that single, likely meaningless for them, regular season game. 

What impact does that have? Well, for starters, the 2025 class is going to be a monster in state class. None of the top talent is going to go to a dead man walking coach with a boring offense. That means that they are jeopardizing at least 3 or even 4 seasons including 2024 for a single game with a bunch of mercenaries.