Future of the Olympics

MaybeACoordinator

7 minutes ago, YChang said:

I don't think I said anything originally that's in disagreement with what you just said. It just hits different reading some of these comment as a Chinese American. 

Why? I'm not sure anyone here is knocking her for her ethnicity (I hope not). I think if you espouse that regime you deserve criticism. LeBron has gotten a ton of shit from it - he isn't Chinese-American. Daryl Morey took a bunch of heat and he's white (the Morey thing was actually a bit more nuanced - he still got caught up in a firestorm).

I'm sure there are some intolerant assholes being nastier about it because she's of that background but I'm not seeing that here. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Why? I'm not sure anyone here is knocking her for her ethnicity (I hope not). I think if you espouse that regime you deserve criticism. LeBron has gotten a ton of shit from it - he isn't Chinese-American. Daryl Morey took a bunch of heat and he's white (the Morey thing was actually a bit more nuanced - he still got caught up in a firestorm).

I'm sure there are some intolerant assholes being nastier about it because she's of that background but I'm not seeing that here. 

Speaking for myself, but you just become a bit more sensitive to this when you live in a society that often sees you as "other." Cause you know, we don't neatly fit the white, black, and brown bucket. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, YChang said:

Speaking for myself, but you just become a bit more sensitive to this when you live in a society that often sees you as "other." Cause you know, we don't neatly fit the white, black, and brown bucket. 

That's fair. I think it's an identity quandary for sure. I wish more people in this country were smart or tolerant enough to separate Chinese Americans or well meaning Chinese citizens from the Chinese state. I guess you have to trust when some of us say "fuck China" it isn't directed at people like you - or even most of the people that are actually living there. It's of course a problematic blanket statement. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It's my understanding that under U.S. law she is allowed to have dual citizenship so she is allowed to do what she did. 

Slight caveat - the US does allow people to carry any passport they want, but doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Whatever passport you travel on is your nationality. So if some politician grabs her ass then Gu is out of luck as she's there on a Chinese passport and not eligible for consular services. 

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

4 years ago we had the Chloe Kim story which was a role reversal.

Huh? She was born and raised in the USA. Her story isn't remotely related other than happening to be the daughter of Asian immigrants. 

Look, Gu is obviously very talented and very bright, but she's also very naive and a bit of a hypocrite. She talks about wanting to inspire young women in China then dodges questions on Peng Shuai. It's a bad look. 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Slight caveat - the US does allow people to carry any passport they want, but doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Whatever passport you travel on is your nationality. So if some politician grabs her ass then Gu is out of luck as she's there on a Chinese passport and not eligible for consular services. 

Huh? She was born and raised in the USA. Her story isn't remotely related other than happening to be the daughter of Asian immigrants. 

Look, Gu is obviously very talented and very bright, but she's also very naive and a bit of a hypocrite. She talks about wanting to inspire young women in China then dodges questions on Peng Shuai. It's a bad look. 

Line I said in this or maybe the other thread on the Olympics... there's no way a 15 year old (her age when she decided to compete for the Chinese)  who grew up in the US and spent a couple weeks a summer in China had any idea of the ramifications of such a decision. So I'm willing to cut her some slack. She also will make a fuck ton more money from them than she would from team USA because she's their little shiny propaganda piece right now. 

That being said I think she's learned pretty quickly she can't say fuck all over there and the reality of China is not where she spent her summers. Maybe she cares and feels conflicted. Maybe she's 18 and doesn't give a shit because this Olympics will set her up for life. 

I think it will be more telling what she does and says over the next 5 10 20 years with her platform. But with her mom being born in china she probably still has family over there that could disappear if she says anything negative. Like I said a lot of shit for a 15 year old to think about that I guarantee she never did. 

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, pops said:

Line I said in this or maybe the other thread on the Olympics... there's no way a 15 year old (her age when she decided to compete for the Chinese)  who grew up in the US and spent a couple weeks a summer in China had any idea of the ramifications of such a decision. So I'm willing to cut her some slack. She also will make a fuck ton more money from them than she would from team USA because she's their little shiny propaganda piece right now. 

That being said I think she's learned pretty quickly she can't say fuck all over there and the reality of China is not where she spent her summers. Maybe she cares and feels conflicted. Maybe she's 18 and doesn't give a shit because this Olympics will set her up for life. 

I think it will be more telling what she does and says over the next 5 10 20 years with her platform. But with her mom being born in china she probably still has family over there that could disappear if she says anything negative. Like I said a lot of shit for a 15 year old to think about that I guarantee she never did. 

I hope she is thinking about it now.  A few days after the opening ceremony, Gu fielded questions on Instagram and a user asked “what should people in China who can’t use Instagram do if they want to follow you.” She responded “there’s a VPN for free in the App Store” which prompted an outpouring or protests that VPNs are NOT in China app stores. They also noted that her ability to use the app means she’s getting a special dispensation to use it by the Chinese government.   To cap it off, screenshots of the exchange were later pulled from China’s WeiBo by censors. 

I think it’s fair to ask her to grapple with this type of thing to include some pretty serious criticism.  But as they say, money doesn’t smell, especially when you don’t have to live by the same rules as everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I hope she is thinking about it now.  A few days after the opening ceremony, Gu fielded questions on Instagram and a user asked “what should people in China who can’t use Instagram do if they want to follow you.” She responded “there’s a VPN for free in the App Store” which prompted an outpouring or protests that VPNs are NOT in China app stores. They also noted that her ability to use the app means she’s getting a special dispensation to use it by the Chinese government.   To cap it off, screenshots of the exchange were later pulled from China’s WeiBo by censors. 

I think it’s fair to ask her to grapple with this type of thing to include some pretty serious criticism.  But as they say, money doesn’t smell, especially when you don’t have to live by the same rules as everyone else. 

I'm all for her getting the heat... she made the decision. I'm just willing to cut her some slack given her age and probably the romanticism of China from her upbringing. 

I think your story perfectly proves she has no fucking idea what life in China is like for the average citizen and she was too young and too ill informed and probably was strongly pressured by tiger mommy to bring great respect and honor to the family blah blah blah. 

Kids get exploited for their talent and/or looks every day. Sucks that an American kid is getting that done to her by the Chinese. Maybe she figures it out. Maybe she doesn't. Guess we will see. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, pops said:

Kids get exploited for their talent and/or looks every day. Sucks that an American kid is getting that done to her by the Chinese. Maybe she figures it out. Maybe she doesn't. Guess we will see. 

Even if she does, your previous point:

17 hours ago, pops said:

But with her mom being born in china she probably still has family over there that could disappear if she says anything negative.

Is something the Chinese government will use as leverage if she ever contemplates competing for the US instead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

All I know is I ordered a “taco chino” in a restaurant here in CR a few nights ago and they brought me a fucking egg roll. It was bullshit.

Also I haven’t watched a single second of these Olympics which makes me sad because I used to care and watch all I could.

Edited by justhookit

21 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

To bring your post to the OP: It really does feel like the Olympics matter the MOST to the countries who need to propagate propoganda to the rest of the world. Hence Russia and China caring so much about them recently. It's part of their Go-to-market and media blitz to showcase how they are not humanitarian criminals and horrible people.

If the IOC were smart, they would be hire a bunch of geopolitical strategists to help them forecast which crappy countries need them the most and cater to them. It's the only way they stay relevant as most sane countries realize they are a moneypit and scam.

Darfur Summer Olympics has a nice ring to it.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

And may have been leverage to get her to switch teams in the first place.

1 minute ago, FartingMonk said:

Nah.  It was the modeling contracts.  The CCP is evil but not stupid.

Agreed - there is no loss of face if she originally chooses to represent the US over China before she's famous and won medals for them. Now that she's won a gold and is part of the propaganda machine it's a much bigger deal if she later decides to join Team USA. 

I will never forget the amount of McDonald's I ate due to the Soviet Boycott of the 184 summer games in Los Angeles. That McDonald's promotion cost them a shit ton of money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_1984_Olympics_promotion

In preparation for the promotion, McDonald's had scratch-off cards printed with different Olympic events. The cards were handed to customers at concessions in the United States and they could be redeemed for a specific food item if the American Olympic Team won a medal at that specific event. A gold medal was worth a Big Mac, silver an order of french fries, and bronze a Coca-Cola.[1][3][2][4][4] The slogan "When the U.S. Wins, You Win." was adopted for the campaign.[2][4] McDonald's had made their cost estimates for the promotion based on the American medal count at the 1976 Montreal Olympics, which was 94 medals, this included 34 gold medals.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Agreed - there is no loss of face if she originally chooses to represent the US over China before she's famous and won medals for them. Now that she's won a gold and is part of the propaganda machine it's a much bigger deal if she later decides to join Team USA. 

No way man.  Her representing China while the Olympics are in Beijing is more important than anything else.  After this it isn't going to matter as much.  Her getting 50 million now and maybe another 100+ in the next 4 years while maintaining her American citizenship is a no brainer if you ask me.  Her mom is a Stanford MBA and a private investor.  They know what they are doing.

6 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I will never forget the amount of McDonald's I ate due to the Soviet Boycott of the 184 summer games in Los Angeles. That McDonald's promotion cost them a shit ton of money.

In preparation for the promotion, McDonald's had scratch-off cards printed with different Olympic events. The cards were handed to customers at concessions in the United States and they could be redeemed for a specific food item if the American Olympic Team won a medal at that specific event. A gold medal was worth a Big Mac, silver an order of french fries, and bronze a Coca-Cola.[1][3][2][4][4] The slogan "When the U.S. Wins, You Win." was adopted for the campaign.[2][4] McDonald's had made their cost estimates for the promotion based on the American medal count at the 1976 Montreal Olympics, which was 94 medals, this included 34 gold medals.

Fuck yeah. I spent that summer with my brother at Penn State. His buddy's GF worked at McDonalds. I would go in, get a cheeseburger and my bad was full of tickets. We lived on that crap for the summer. 

1 hour ago, pops said:

I'm all for her getting the heat... she made the decision. I'm just willing to cut her some slack given her age and probably the romanticism of China from her upbringing. 

I think your story perfectly proves she has no fucking idea what life in China is like for the average citizen and she was too young and too ill informed and probably was strongly pressured by tiger mommy to bring great respect and honor to the family blah blah blah. 

What’s insane to me is that Twitter, Facebook, and all these apps are blocked in China. It’s illegal to download them. But Chinese state media and government officials are all on these accounts spewing propaganda 24/7 and they do fuck all about it. It’s unreal to me that these fuckers have blue check marks and yet THEY BAN THESE PLATFORMS. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That was AWESOME. I was only a kid but we all ate soooo much free food.

20 hours ago, ztejas said:

Dude no one gives a fuck about the medal count. It's voluntarily hitching your wagon to an authoritarian, human-rights violating regime that many of us have a problem with. I'm not going to judge her too harshly because 18 year olds in general are naive and make bad decisions but I'm guessing there are plenty of Chinese athletes that would get the fuck out of dodge if they could. I know there's at least one tennis player that would. I hope she enjoys her money - we'll see if she likes it 10 years from now and still thinks it was the right decision. 

If Idi Amin came back from the dead and offered me $10MM to represent Uganda in speed walking, I would be all over it. Because you dipshits have such short attention spans, my transgression would be forgotten two days after the closing ceremony and I would have $10MM.  

Fuck all y’all my ass getting paid. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, FartingMonk said:

The one who lost on this whole thing was the figure skater.  She actually renounced her US citizenship.  She subsequently fell twice.  Doesn't speak Mandarin and had the Chinese turn on her 

She's fucked. Not only that, but her father took a job at a university in Beijing. Not going to be pleasant for them. 

31 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

maintaining her American citizenship is a no brainer if you ask me

it's been pretty widely reported she was required to give up her citizenship and nationalize to China - they don't generally allow dual citizenship athletes to compete under their flag unless its some shit like Hockey (which has some IIHF rule that allows you to play if you have spent 2 years living there)

17 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's been pretty widely reported she was required to give up her citizenship and nationalize to China - they don't generally allow dual citizenship athletes to compete under their flag unless its some shit like Hockey (which has some IIHF rule that allows you to play if you have spent 2 years living there)

It actually has been reported by no one.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If Idi Amin came back from the dead and offered me $10MM to represent Uganda in speed walking, I would be all over it. Because you dipshits have such short attention spans, my transgression would be forgotten two days after the closing ceremony and I would have $10MM.  

haha-laughing.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

No way man.  Her representing China while the Olympics are in Beijing is more important than anything else.  After this it isn't going to matter as much.  Her getting 50 million now and maybe another 100+ in the next 4 years while maintaining her American citizenship is a no brainer if you ask me.  Her mom is a Stanford MBA and a private investor.  They know what they are doing.

No amount of money is worth it to me to have the CCP own my soul and the fate of my family. Some things should not be for sale.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, that's blood money. She makes plenty of money thru other revenue streams without having to sell her soul.

I think a lot less of her than I did, not that she or anyone else cares.

37 minutes ago, royiv said:

No amount of money is worth it to me to have the CCP own my soul and the fate of my family. Some things should not be for sale.

Dude, it's just an NIL deal. She will hit the transfer portal and bounce after the season is over.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Haha.  Her dad is some super badass phd dealing with AI and super computers.  He will be perfectly fine.  

Isn't that the dad of gu and not the skater? I don't even know the name of the skater or I'd use Google. Since I'm in the US. And not China. 

36 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, that's blood money. She makes plenty of money thru other revenue streams without having to sell her soul.

I think a lot less of her than I did, not that she or anyone else cares.

What isn't considered blood money these days though?  Just participating in the Olympics is considered blood money.  It's going to be like the world cup in Qatar. Just your mere participation should be blood money.  If you're gonna do it why not do it for the most money.  Honestly I don't follow free style skiing.  So I've just heard of her a few weeks ago when people started bringing this up.  So my history of what I think of her is pretty limited.

3 minutes ago, pops said:

Isn't that the dad of gu and not the skater? I don't even know the name of the skater or I'd use Google. Since I'm in the US. And not China. 

Zhu Yi is the figure skater.  

31 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

What isn't considered blood money these days though?  Just participating in the Olympics is considered blood money.  It's going to be like the world cup in Qatar. Just your mere participation should be blood money.  If you're gonna do it why not do it for the most money.  Honestly I don't follow free style skiing.  So I've just heard of her a few weeks ago when people started bringing this up.  So my history of what I think of her is pretty limited.

Zhu Yi is the figure skater.  

Modern day China and Germany in 1936 are very comparable. That’s not to say that China will become what Germany did in later years, but it’s a statement of fact that the policies and treatment of Uighurs in today’s China is not by any means better than Jews in mid-1930s Germany and by some measure considerably worse with a bit more sophisticated propaganda.  I know it’s not what you want to read and I know Godwin’s law will be invoked but those are the facts. 

So yeah, there’s a difference between being some foreign athlete in Berlin in 1936 and voluntarily choosing to put on the Swastika. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Modern day China and Germany in 1936 are very comparable. That’s not to say that China will become what Germany did in later years, but it’s a statement of fact that the policies and treatment of Uighurs in today’s China is not by any means better than Jews in mid-1930s Germany and by some measure considerably worse with a bit more sophisticated propaganda.  I know it’s not what you want to read and I know Godwin’s law will be invoked but those are the facts. 

So yeah, there’s a difference between being some foreign athlete in Berlin in 1936 and voluntarily choosing to put on the Swastika. 

What don't I want to read?  That the Chinese are bad?  No shit man.  We all know that.  They have been waiting for years to take over.  Do you think we would send people to Berlin if there was an active genocide going on?  We know there is an active genocide going on in China right now.  So doesn't that make everyone just as culpable?  Oh, we have US athletes there.  How come they haven't spoken up?  Oh that's right it's because the state department told them to STFU about all of that.  But somehow we are expecting Gu to say something?  It doesn't matter what countries flag you are wearing right now.  If you cared or they cared about the plight of the Uighurs they would say I cannot participate when I know there is an active genocide going on.  So it doesn't matter if you benefit 1 dollar or 50 million dollars.  That blood is in your hands.  So why not collect the 50 million.  

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I hope she and her mother still think it’s worth it when some 80 year old party  bigwig decides he wants to tickle her clit with his limp commie wiener.

She could have stayed in America and got signed by Jeffery Epstein or Harvey Weinstein.  The modeling business totally doesn't have old men exploit young girls.  We're america above reproach.  Yes.  Yes we are.  Let's get her an internship in DC too.  Our politicians don't ever bang interns

Edited by FartingMonk

Dude- you’re trying to compare playing for Ohio State to being the centerpiece of a propaganda machine for a brutal communist regime. You’re metaphors aren’t working. She’d be closer to a german-american competing for nazi germany in the 1936 Olympics than a high school kid chasing money in Ohio. What she’s doing is morally wrong. That’s her choice- I don’t give a fuck about her because she’ll be forgotten as soon as the Olympics are over. I’m more irritated that she’s being portrayed as some sort of hero that little girls should look up to. 

15 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Dude- you’re trying to compare playing for Ohio State to being the centerpiece of a propaganda machine for a brutal communist regime. You’re metaphors aren’t working. She’d be closer to a german-american competing for nazi germany in the 1936 Olympics than a high school kid chasing money in Ohio. What she’s doing is morally wrong. That’s her choice- I don’t give a fuck about her because she’ll be forgotten as soon as the Olympics are over. I’m more irritated that she’s being portrayed as some sort of hero that little girls should look up to. 

Having the Olympics in China is morally wrong.

And I've been treated way worse by Ohio St people than I've ever than the Chinese

Interesting read, I haven’t thought anything about it really. People compete for other countries all the time. She is basically 50/50 and is probably way more familiar with China than a lot of those that jump around based on her parent’s heritage and how she was raised. It’s a nonstory other than the fact she’s actually good at what she does.

As noted above, having the Olympics in China is already a problem with what they have going on. A 15 year old choosing to compete for her mother’s country several years ago is what it is. 

The hockey issue is a much more significant issue in my opinion because there is no link back to China. It’s a bunch of Americans and Canadians that are strictly playing for China to get paid with no Chinese heritage which is completely counter to what the games are. They suck, so no one cares. What happens when they are actually a good team in 2026 or 2030?

Edited by Brew

7 hours ago, Brew said:

Interesting read, I haven’t thought anything about it really. People compete for other countries all the time. She is basically 50/50 and is probably way more familiar with China than a lot of those that jump around based on her parent’s heritage and how she was raised. It’s a nonstory other than the fact she’s actually good at what she does.

As noted above, having the Olympics in China is already a problem with what they have going on. A 15 year old choosing to compete for her mother’s country several years ago is what it is. 

The hockey issue is a much more significant issue in my opinion because there is no link back to China. It’s a bunch of Americans and Canadians that are strictly playing for China to get paid with no Chinese heritage which is completely counter to what the games are. They suck, so no one cares. What happens when they are actually a good team in 2026 or 2030?

As the hosts, they get a spot in the hockey tournament.  They didn’t want to be embarrassed, so they bought a team (and hockey rules are different, you don’t have to hold a passport). 

In future years they will be so far from even qualifying that they won’t bother to do this bit.  That said— the Americans who pulled on that jersey can also EABOD. Fuck, we badly need Sly Stallone to fight a Beijing commie in this country so kids know what’s up.

On 2/11/2022 at 12:09 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

$10MM in Uganda money?  What is that in US currency?  $3.50? 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 11:11 AM, YChang said:

As a Chinese American, I don't like it. I think she could have made money here too. But I also don't think it's anything nefarious what Gu's doing. I think she's just capitalizing on her stardom to make as much money as possible. Window is pretty short typically for Olympic athletes.

She does invite tons of criticism and I think some of y'all feel a lot stronger about this because she's of Chinese descent. And it's fucking China (fuck them). And that's ok, we all have our built-in biases. But I wonder if some of y'all would be as vigorous in your criticism if she was Scandinavian descent and just won a gold for Norway. 

Scooby Doo Halloween GIF