2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

34 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Money seems like a guy who runs his route exactly correctly every single time. If he were the only guy on the field, he'd never get open. When the defense is fighting to run with the other receivers and account for the RB, he's going to be standing by himself quite frequently. After that happens, you're basically running a kick return. The defense is trying to turn around and track the guy with the ball. The offense is trying to get in their way. The ball carrier is trying to take advantage of the confusion and wander forward.

The WR Screen takes advantage of a defense getting comfortable. If the receivers are regularly beating press coverage, then the DBs start leaning back and "picking up" the receivers as they get into their routes. The screen gets the ball out there quickly (and sort of blindly) to burn the defense's backwards motion.

GDGD (and others) got in trouble when they used it off schedule. If the receivers haven't established their deep threat, then the DBs will still be up tight, or even worse, running downhill at the snap. At that point, the receiver is catching the ball flat footed while the DB clocks him in the head (being legal and preferred at that time).

Coordinators really are engaged in a kind of chess match. Do the simple things until your opponent proves he can stop them. That's why having Bijan Robinson makes this offense dangerous, and why wealthy men spent 8 figures to remove the person who didn't want to play him all game.

That's not a screen, though. That's just a sideline pass. A "screen" means there's someone in front of the receiver when he catches the ball, the "screen." Am I wrong?

Edited by Rimbo

15 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

That's not a screen, though. That's just a sideline pass. A "screen" means there's someone in front of the receiver when he catches the ball, the "screen." Am I wrong?

Ideally, several other receivers should be headed that way to form some sort of block. If they weren't there in "trips" or something, then pulling OL and/or RBs/Motion TEs should try to form up into a diagonal "tube" leading back to the center of the field. The resulting chaos kind of looks like the mesh part of a KO return. There's a decent chance the ball carrier emerges with daylight ahead. That's one kind.

The important point is that none of this, especially a straight toss to the sideline, stands a prayer of doing anything but killing a WR if the defense is in press or bump coverage. I suppose you could accidentally catch a CB on a blitz and get somewhere, but largely you have to win a deep battle to make the defenders cheat backwards before throwing short.

What looked like a naked sideline pass was really just so poor that the blockers hadn't gotten time to set up. Most of the tape shows sympathetic Texas teammates arriving at the scene of the crime just as the defender gets up to celebrate.

Edited by GoldAppleCorps

6 hours ago, ousux said:

TSRH. Even teams like Tortilla Tech and K-state coached up their 2* receivers in effective blocking schemes, and somehow Bama does the same with their 4-5* WR's...I'm waiting for the day we can do the same.

I'm excited about seeing Bijan, Rojo and K Robinson getting the ball in space in Sarks offense...that could be the difference this year.

Wife asked me once how to know if your team is good or not. I told her to watch the lines play and not watch the football. Then watch the WRs and see if/how well they block. If your team's lines are playing well/doing their job and the WRs are good at and actually block, your team is good and it will be reflected in the score at the end. Every game at the beginning of every season for Texas, I watch the above. Every year we are "bad" and can't turn the corner, it's because of this shit right here. Go back and watch our WRs on the 2005 team. They blocked and would truck dudes down the field. It opens so much room and makes it easier for the backfield or TE to get into the open. Really want to see good blocking this year from the WR group.

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think we will see Bijan, Robinson, and Whittington on the field at the same time. Those are our "toughest" guys on O and also our most explosive players. So with them on the field at the same time, it will create space and also have better blocking from the WR position. I don't know enough about TE blocking to determine who is the best combo of blocking and receiving skills. It seems we have more options at TE, though, than just about any team in the country.

I hope you're right. Not sure how, but still hope. Shit, I'd just like to see Whittington play 2 full games in a row. (If this has happened already, you could knock me down with a feather.)

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

These con artists are really pushing the shit out if Card even though they keep saying it's a close race. Does any of that sounds like a close race? Didn't they say just the other day that Thompson pushes the ball down field more than Card? I think they're forgetting the shit they made up a few days ago and pushing an agenda to satiate their flock. 

Based on this, I would say that Casey gets the nod and starts the season. Take whatever they are selling you and bet the opposite. It almost never fails.

Edited by Droopy
additions and grammar
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

If any of this is true it seems already decided to me. Card trusts and has the trust of the receivers....Card has the most arm talent and quicker release....Card does the progressions quicker....what am I missing? If Casey doesnt trust his receivers by now I say we are fucked....

It’s not. IT is super biased towards Card. 

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m still onboard with thinking OU is the only team on the schedule who should be as good or better than us, which in theory should translate to a 1 or 2 loss season.

Having said that, reports that Kai Money is apparently one of the two guys on our offense we feel best equipped to target on a WR screen so he can make something happen after the catch is a pretty giant cold bucket on water on those rosy projections.  Much like OLs featuring Marcus Hutchins, Denzel Okafor and Tristan Nickelson at OT, Dylan Haines starting at DB, and Swoopes or a freshman at QB, that feels like one to look back on in hindsight with bewilderment over why I thought we would be good.

The practice report just said they were running a lot of screens. Kai is the backup slot since they’re moving Worthy all around, so it would make sense Money gets the second most targets while running WR screens. 

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Go back and watch our WRs on the 2005 team. They blocked and would truck dudes down field..Really want to see good blocking this year from the WR group.

This is what they need to get back to doing.. There is one or 2 plays that stand out to me from the 2005 team through 2010.  

Limas Sweed trucking 2 DBs at the same time and laying them out downfield to spring Ramonce Taylor free for a touchdown in the National Championship game against USC.

Quan Cosby absolutely laying out Lindey Holmes (sent him flying) against OU to spring Jordan Shipley for a TD...

We need receivers with an attitude..

Edited by Azbadlands
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The practice report just said they were running a lot of screens. Kai is the backup slot since they’re moving Worthy all around, so it would make sense Money gets the second most targets while running WR screens. 

Yeah, the handwringing about Money is basically complaining that we are letting him participate in drills. We should probably not fret about the offense being designed around him quite yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cross-posting...

I really wish the talking heads would stop with the "Xavier Worthy from Michigan" bullshit..he's from Cali and was never a Wolverine because they screwed the pooch. They make him sound like a transfer..but he's only worn two colors, whatever his school colors were in Cali and burnt orange. /rant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, the handwringing about Money is basically complaining that we are letting him participate in drills. We should probably not fret about the offense being designed around him quite yet. 

But if we don’t jump to wild conclusions based on limited (or fabricated) information and angrily post on the internet, why even have a football forum? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'm all for seeing a receiver being open, don't care what their name is or where they are on the field. I will highly welcome the sight of an open receiver catching the ball.. this time when we are on offense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Jacob “Cannon Arm” Eason is getting beat out by Sam Ehlinger in Fall Camp. The guy with lesser arm talent than both our projected starters. These scrimmages will add some clarity to the depth chat. I’m ready to see Bijan juke a Cajun out of his gotdamn britches. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Jacob “Cannon Arm” Eason is getting beat out by Sam Ehlinger in Fall Camp. The guy with lesser arm talent than both our projected starters. These scrimmages will add some clarity to the depth chat. I’m ready to see Bijan juke a Cajun out of his gotdamn britches. 

Ehhh.  Not sure it’s really accurate to say Sam has less arm talent than Casey. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not. IT is super biased towards Card. 

I’m not sure biased is the right word. They are certainly of the opinion that Card will be the starter. The question is- was that opinion formed from team sources that are giving them good information or is this just the camp they belong in from some existing bias from covering Card in recruiting? Gerry seems fairly level headed but I still do not know where he’s getting that opinion from exactly. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I’m not sure biased is the right word. They are certainly of the opinion that Card will be the starter.

Could be they’re pushing not just whom they want, but believe will win. All for clicks and the chance of promoting their “being right” with their information. 

They get it wrong, and they have the out with “sources” being off or fed misinformation. Sheeps will glance over it and carry on to the next glass of colored liquid. 

• Like 1

Could be they’re pushing not just whom they want, but believe will win. All for clicks and the chance of promoting their “being right” with their information. 

They get it wrong, and they have the out with “sources” being off or fed misinformation. Sheeps will glance over it and carry on to the next glass of colored liquid. 

I think it’s 100% for clicks. These 9.95ers all want to claim that they were early on some hot take, but they all dig for information and try to feed outlandish narratives because the people who would pay for their services already know the basics, so they try to artificially add complexity to every situation
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YeeYeeCTE said:

I think it’s 100% for clicks. These 9.95ers all want to claim that they were early on some hot take, but they all dig for information and try to feed outlandish narratives because the people who would pay for their services already know the basics, so they try to artificially add complexity to every situation

Excellent point.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

MV5BMjQ1MjUxMDAxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjEx

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I was coming of age back in the day, and unequivocally state your #3 was actually #1 with a bullet (make that two bullets). 

Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be many decent images of Lori Saunders out there. The red head and blonde were more wholesome. The brunette was the smoke.

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

2, 1, 3 and already came

#teambobbyjo

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

How does the O-line look? I don't even know who's up there anymore. I know Kerstetter but that's only because he's been on the team since fucking Jimmy Carter was in office. I guess it's nice to have a guy still playing on the team that Coach Royal personally recruited.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I’m not sure biased is the right word. They are certainly of the opinion that Card will be the starter. The question is- was that opinion formed from team sources that are giving them good information or is this just the camp they belong in from some existing bias from covering Card in recruiting? Gerry seems fairly level headed but I still do not know where he’s getting that opinion from exactly. 

They aren't even allowed to see the real parts of practice and scrimmage right? Just basically watch them warm up and do a little drill work then have to bail? 

Without being able to see it they're at the mercy of bias from whoever they talk to, and there's absolutely no repercussions to face for fabricating or exaggerating information. This is just drama to keep the kids talking until the hittin' on Saturdays commence. 

I think Thompson will be the starter week 1 for sure but not so sure that's the case by the ou game.  I hope he is because everything I'm seeing and hearing from the kid sounds great but Card has undeniable arm talent that could cost Thompson the job.  That's the optimistic point of view at least.  They could both end up being shit but I doubt it.

Btw the problem with those screens GDGD used to run was that firstly it was a predictable first down play on almost all of our opening drives, and secondly, I never understood throwing the ball 40 yards across the field to try to advance forward.   Way to much risk involved.  For those who say Davis was too conservative I just point there.

9 hours ago, hookem48 said:

just wait till our first offensive play is a wide receiver screen behind 2 tightends that let the corner run right between them to force a 3 yard loss.

It’s ok, Bijan will trip forward over Okafor’s feet for two yards after a blown up interior running play on second down, and then Washington will surely create separation and haul in the sideline bomb thrown by a scrambling QB outside the pocket on 3rd and 11. We’ll be fine.

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

They aren't even allowed to see the real parts of practice and scrimmage right? Just basically watch them warm up and do a little drill work then have to bail? 

Without being able to see it they're at the mercy of bias from whoever they talk to, and there's absolutely no repercussions to face for fabricating or exaggerating information. This is just drama to keep the kids talking until the hittin' on Saturdays commence. 

Are you new to the world of 9.95ers?

• Haha 1

Finally read this thread. Had stayed away because I’d gotten sick of drinking the koolaid every year for the past several years only to watch shitty coaching screw up what should have been solid years. 

Objectively, this team should be very good. The biggest question marks are OL and QB. QB should be okay. We just need to see it on the field.

OL is another matter. We have serious depth questions at RT, and we don’t have championship quality OL starting anywhere on the OL, although we do have good quality in spots. 

WR was a mystery to me last year. We had talent but it just didn’t perform. Same story this year. Will it perform?

The entire defense should be great.  We have talent and coaching.  This will be the best defense we’ve had in ten years.

The coaching staff should be much better than last year’s staff, but mistakes on the recruiting front in the last month or does raise a few questions. I’m going to assume the coaching will be solid. 

11-1 is possible; 10-2 means we have a solid coaching staff and talent; 9-3 is possible and I wouldn’t panic about our staff: 8-4 or worse and we should all just give up and focus on other things in life. My view? 10-2. 

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Finally read this thread. Had stayed away because I’d gotten sick of drinking the koolaid every year for the past several years only to watch shitty coaching screw up what should have been solid years. 

Objectively, this team should be very good. The biggest question marks are OL and QB. QB should be okay. We just need to see it on the field.

OL is another matter. We have serious depth questions at RT, and we don’t have championship quality OL starting anywhere on the OL, although we do have good quality in spots. 

WR was a mystery to me last year. We had talent but it just didn’t perform. Same story this year. Will it perform?

The entire defense should be great.  We have talent and coaching.  This will be the best defense we’ve had in ten years.

The coaching staff should be much better than last year’s staff, but mistakes on the recruiting front in the last month or does raise a few questions. I’m going to assume the coaching will be solid. 

11-1 is possible; 10-2 means we have a solid coaching staff and talent; 9-3 is possible and I wouldn’t panic about our staff: 8-4 or worse and we should all just give up and focus on other things in life. My view? 10-2. 

I don’t think we have serious depth problems at RT with Karic as the backup 

7 hours ago, Apex73 said:

I think Thompson will be the starter week 1 for sure but not so sure that's the case by the ou game.  I hope he is because everything I'm seeing and hearing from the kid sounds great but Card has undeniable arm talent that could cost Thompson the job.  That's the optimistic point of view at least.  They could both end up being shit but I doubt it.

Yeah Thompson starting but having a short leash for Card seems like the most likely scenario, but it seems close enough to where any of the scenarios seems plausible 

• Like 2