2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

14 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oh well. You don't make decisions on who starts based on who might have to go in the game if the backup transfers and the starter gets hurt. This isn't pee wee football. It sucks Texas could be left with an inexperienced backup but this program has had way too many instances of inferior guys starting at positions because of seniority. The best players play. Period.

Or maybe, just maybe, Sark feels Card needs the most work.

Burton

I genuinely thought the storyline of preseason camp would revolve around the quarterbacks.

And it has.

But only to a degree.

While Hudson Card and Casey Thompson are attempting to win the starting QB job, a group of receivers are also trying to find spots in the rotation, and getting their fair share of headlines.

According to multiple sources, they’re just not very good.

Perhaps we should have expected this. Tom Herman preferred size over speed on the outside, and he recruited as such. He didn’t exactly seem to cherish one-on-one skills of getting open as much as raw physical ability (think Brennan Eagles and Kennedy Lewis). Unfortunately, that’s the exact opposite of what Steve Sarkisian seems to prize. When you want your receivers catching the ball on the move, the ability to get open and cleanly catch the ball takes on more importance. M

Add in some missed opportunities in recruiting like Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Marvin Mims, and the Horns are left with oft-injured receivers Jordan Whittington and Jordan Moore attempting to be the pass-catching focal point. 

Sure, true freshman Xavier Worthy appears ready to play a key role this season. And Kelvontay Dixon, who is still nursing a high ankle sprain, could, too. They have the speed Sark is looking for.

But right now, Texas is left with a rag-tag group that doesn’t exactly ooze talent or scare opponents. After all, Kai Money doesn’t exactly put the fear of God in opposing defenses.

Ultimately, people will want to point fingers, assigning blame to a current coach or a previous one for the issue at hand. 

In this instance, I think all parties share some of the blame. The talent on hand was ill-suited for Steve Sarkisian’s offense and not exactly all that talented in the first place. Yet that should have been clear in spring ball, and the Horns likely could have found a receiver or two in the portal capable of playing a key role.

The bigger issue is all these receivers Texas has on scholarship. And too many of them appear to be not good enough to make a dent.

If you’ll remember, Sarkisian, when he first arrived in Austin, even bemoaned that the Horns had too many receivers on the roster in the first place compared to other positions. In retrospect, the roster may have too many spots receivers but not enough actual receivers.

If the Texas offense goes with a lot of 12 personnel (one running back and two tight ends) this season, that could mitigate the receiver issues.

But if pass protection routinely fails or defenses load up against the run, and Texas is forced to throw, it can’t just be Jordan Whittington and possibly Josh Moore trying to get open. Yes, Xavier Worthy can help. But unless Kelvontay Dixon returns or Troy Omeire decides to step up, it appears the Horns are going to be a receiver or two short of what Sarkisian truly needs for his offense.

• Rage+1 3

I loved Sarks reaction to the question about the adaptive,  or what ever in the hell it's called,  system of tackling by the last coaching staff.

He said something like, I've never heard of it so we don't use it.  

Edited by Laga4

18 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I loved Sarks reaction to the question about the adaptive,  or what ever in the hell it's called,  system of tackling by the last coaching staff.

He said something like, I've never heard of it so we don't use it.  

Which is actually a little weird - Pete Carroll popularized it at Seattle. 

46 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Why is this just now a revelation? There were receiver options in the portal we could have gone after. Halfway through fall camp and now we realize we don’t have any good receivers? 

I have to wonder if this is less about physical ability and more about the mental side - apparently Sark's offense relies heavily on WR's needing to be able to read the defense like a QB and adjust routes according to what they see.  I don't know how much of that they could test without lining up and playing full speed.

Physically Moore, Whittington, Omiere, and Worthy should be up to the task (though injuries will surely be an issue).  But considering the previous offense' reluctance to have any one WR run more than three routes - maybe they just didn't know what they had from a 'processing' perspective.

***  And the drops.  But that can almost be more of a symptom of a bigger issue, like WR's not being able to get open or running the wrong routes.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Burton

I genuinely thought the storyline of preseason camp would revolve around the quarterbacks.

And it has.

But only to a degree.

While Hudson Card and Casey Thompson are attempting to win the starting QB job, a group of receivers are also trying to find spots in the rotation, and getting their fair share of headlines.

Perhaps we should have expected this. Tom Herman preferred size over speed on the outside, and he recruited as such. He didn’t exactly seem to cherish one-on-one skills of getting open as much as raw physical ability (think Brennan Eagles and Kennedy Lewis). Unfortunately, that’s the exact opposite of what Steve Sarkisian seems to prize. When you want your receivers catching the ball on the move, the ability to get open and cleanly catch the ball takes on more importance. M

Add in some missed opportunities in recruiting like Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Marvin Mims, and the Horns are left with oft-injured receivers Jordan Whittington and Jordan Moore attempting to be the pass-catching focal point. 

Sure, true freshman Xavier Worthy appears ready to play a key role this season. And Kelvontay Dixon, who is still nursing a high ankle sprain, could, too. They have the speed Sark is looking for.

But right now, Texas is left with a rag-tag group that doesn’t exactly ooze talent or scare opponents. After all, Kai Money doesn’t exactly put the fear of God in opposing defenses.

Ultimately, people will want to point fingers, assigning blame to a current coach or a previous one for the issue at hand. 

In this instance, I think all parties share some of the blame. The talent on hand was ill-suited for Steve Sarkisian’s offense and not exactly all that talented in the first place. Yet that should have been clear in spring ball, and the Horns likely could have found a receiver or two in the portal capable of playing a key role.

The bigger issue is all these receivers Texas has on scholarship. And too many of them appear to be not good enough to make a dent.

If you’ll remember, Sarkisian, when he first arrived in Austin, even bemoaned that the Horns had too many receivers on the roster in the first place compared to other positions. In retrospect, the roster may have too many spots receivers but not enough actual receivers.

If the Texas offense goes with a lot of 12 personnel (one running back and two tight ends) this season, that could mitigate the receiver issues.

But if pass protection routinely fails or defenses load up against the run, and Texas is forced to throw, it can’t just be Jordan Whittington and possibly Josh Moore trying to get open. Yes, Xavier Worthy can help. But unless Kelvontay Dixon returns or Troy Omeire decides to step up, it appears the Horns are going to be a receiver or two short of what Sarkisian truly needs for his offense.

I'm baffled at how these WRs are suddenly not good enough. Omeire was supposed to be a breakout player. Moore was the next Devonta Smith. I'm thinking they're absorbing some of the blame for the QBs not slinging the rock very well.

Our WRs sucking would be a legit issue - Sark's offense relies on WR routes to open the playbook (regardless of who is throwing/catching) and get the entire system in motion and plays into the run game (he is rungame heavy but the WRs help create this). If these WRs can't run routes, we're going to have significant issues scoring even with our great RBs imo. 

Add to that a QB that might not be very good, and there is a pause to take perhaps. 

Hopefully the D is legit as reported. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

I'm baffled at how these WRs are suddenly not good enough. Omeire was supposed to be a breakout player. Moore was the next Devonta Smith. I'm thinking they're absorbing some of the blame for the QBs not slinging the rock very well.

Well re: those two specifically, Moore's issues are injury/off-field, per the article, and Omeire's coming back from a huge injury.

But yeah IT deflecting issues from Card to the WRs wouldn't be shocking.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

You are baffled at how "suddenly" Omeire (a guy who the recruiting board roundly mocked as slow and stiff while he was committed to A&M and who has accomplished nothing but blowing out his ACL at UT) and Moore (who has been the definition of a JAG and all around knucklehead for the past three years) are not good enough? Here is a hint. Pretend you never read a $9.95 kool aid report and only based your expectations on past performance or pedigree. 

And don't be shocked when Christian Jones, who struggled to be fucking average at right tackle last year, "suddenly" hasn't morphed into Jonathan Ogden in one off season. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Burton

And it has.

But only to a degree.

Well, we didn't seize the opportunity to get JSN this past spring. We let Smith go to USC. We didn't get rid of dead weight. This is on the current staff. If they don't think any of the freshmen will step up, they can scour the portal again. I am sure some of the ASU guys are looking to leave before ASU implodes.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, we didn't seize the opportunity to get JSN this past spring. We let Smith go to USC. We didn't get rid of dead weight. This is on the current staff. If they don't think any of the freshmen will step up, they can scour the portal again. I am sure some of the ASU guys are looking to leave before ASU implodes.

Kennedy Lewis, Malcolm Epps (if you count him as a WR) and Keithron Lee say hello. And you could argue Smith was dead weight - dude didn't exactly set the world on fire here. But there's definitely a lot left to cull.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, stork642 said:

Wasn’t Herman’s first play a long TD.  That’s always proof of long term success.  

Yeah, but the previous 4-5 years before that, the first drive usually started with a penalty on the KO return, then a delay of game or false start (or both) on the first play.
When we actually scored on the first play last year, I thought we were finally back. Thanks Herman. 

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Smith leaving given his chronic foot injuries is a good thing. As noted he's out for the season again at USC. That IMO isn't that big of a loss.

If we can get these 5 guys, Whittington(as long as he stays healthy), Moore, Worthy, Dixon and Omeire(if he can get the mental down), on the same page with the QB and they build continuity with only having 1 QB throwing the ball they could improve their pass catching. 

I think Eagles deciding to go to the draft was the dumbest decision any Longhorn has made in that regards.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

26 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

You are baffled at how "suddenly" Omeire (a guy who the recruiting board roundly mocked as slow and stiff while he was committed to A&M and who has accomplished nothing but blowing out his ACL at UT) and Moore (who has been the definition of a JAG and all around knucklehead for the past three years) are not good enough? Here is a hint. Pretend you never read a $9.95 kool aid report and only based your expectations on past performance or pedigree. 

And don't be shocked when Christian Jones, who struggled to be fucking average at right tackle last year, "suddenly" hasn't morphed into Jonathan Ogden in one off season. 

Knucklehead I'll agree with - but the kid has produced when out on the field.  He averaged over 15 yards a catch and scored 9 TDs last season in only 8 games.  He led the team in receptions (albeit with 30).

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

IT practice report

In 2016 we suspected freshman Shane Buechele would start at quarterback (it’s the main reason I liked him as the take in the first place) thanks to his maturity and high early floor at the position. But we didn’t know he would start over Tyrone Swoopes until we got a clear idea of rep allocation in practice. The reports of who is playing better is useful but often subjective — understanding rep allocation is the true key.

Dating back to the spring, the Casey Thompson and Hudson Card competition had been evenly split when it came to reps with the ones, other than the spring game where Steve Sarkisian placed Thompson primarily with the first group.

This week there has been a change and both rep allocation and subjective practice reports are in agreement that Hudson Card is currently the best option at quarterback, though it’s not like our sources think he’s run away with it yet. There is some separation, though.

While Thompson is with the second team, Sarkisian is still coaching him hard and working with him like nothing has changed on the depth chart. To be expected but good to hear because both will be needed.

One knock on Card is he’s sacked too often but that also tells us he’s protecting the ball and not throwing it up for grabs. There are also times when he’s able to escape the pocket where he demonstrates the willingness to extend plays and keep his eyes down field. Along with being athletic he also has some savviness to him. Not to make Ian’s knees weak, but he has some Pump Fake Purdy to him when on the perimeter. 

Of note: While hitting schools yesterday we heard a great first hand account of Card’s toughness but we’ll shelve it for now. No need to give the wrong impression that we’re anointing him. But it is a useful story we’ll get to.

With Casey, it’s more of what we’ve been writing. He’s not getting it out quick enough and if you hesitate in this zero sum DL/OL setting they’re going to get to you. Like Card, he has been playing better than he did in the scrimmage, however, and there’s a lot of confidence in him winning games when he’s needed.

It’ll be ‘interesting’ to hear fan accounts from the open practice tonight. 

Moro Ojomo had a big spring but we hear he’s elevating his game once again and has become a very well rounded defensive lineman. Run or pass, he can play it.

This likely coincides with Alfred Collins getting reps at Jack/defensive end. We don’t believe this is a full time move — more of a package — but it indicates the coaches want to find ways to get Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, and Collins on the field together. That makes sense.

Collins had one rep in team drills that really stuck out where he got off the ball in a blur and was into the backfield untouched. Keep in mind he has one of the quickest 10-yard splits on defense.

We asked about Jacoby Jones. He’s been a little quiet. We heard he’s playing well, but better versus the run.

Asked about Ben Davis at Jack. “Pretty good, pretty disruptive at Jack or Sam.”

DeMarvion Overshown has been back but he could have been playing the whole time. They just like to rest him because they already have a good feel for what he is. He’s making plays in practice, shooting gaps or making plays in space.

Resting him does help get Luke Brockermeyer and David Gbenda on the field together. Even with Overshown back, Gbenda does get limited reps with the ones but it seems like Luke has a good handle on the starting spot. Like Ojomo, he’s built on a quality spring.

They could use another linebacker stepping up. Jaylan Ford has been pretty solid.

Kitan Crawford has had some limited reps with the ones. Only health is standing in the way of Josh Thompson and D’Shawn Jamison from playing but Crawford is really good.

Thompson has been very sticky in coverage and the feeling is Xavier Worthy is making the corners dial in their technique because he’s so athletic.

Worthy at slot with Jordan Whittington and Joshua Moore playing outside makes the most sense given the current issues. That’s what was worked a lot yesterday. 

Drops have been contagious and Worthy has had his share too of late. 

For all the talk about drops, though, Marcus Washington had a solid practice on Tuesday. 

They need some guys to step up in a major way. If they don’t, it reduces the ceiling on offense by a good amount.

One position group nobody is worried about is running back. Bijan Robinson had the play of practice when he lit up BJ Foster on a grown man collision. You know Foster will be looking for him tonight.

Full pads tonight for the open practice.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Burton --  If the Texas offense goes with a lot of 12 personnel (one running back and two tight ends) this season, that could mitigate the receiver issues.  But if pass protection routinely fails or defenses load up against the run, and Texas is forced to throw, it can’t just be Jordan Whittington and possibly Josh Moore trying to get open. Yes, Xavier Worthy can help. But unless Kelvontay Dixon returns or Troy Omeire decides to step up, it appears the Horns are going to be a receiver or two short of what Sarkisian truly needs for his offense.

So more 2TE sets, maybe some 2RB sets are gonna be part of this year's game plan early in the season.  Coleman better get his guys to improve a lot ASAP in time for the tcu and blOU or it will be damn tough to win either game.  

Using 2RB sets and motioning either Keilan or Roschon out into pass routes hopefully will make up for some of the deficiencies of the current WR group. But Defenses are gonna blitz the fuck out of our offense if our WRs and QBs can't make them pay for it...

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT practice report

Moro Ojomo had a big spring but we hear he’s elevating his game once again and has become a very well rounded defensive lineman. Run or pass, he can play it.

When this dude is finally old enough to vote he's going to be unstoppable.  Really good to hear that he's tearing it up in practice/scrimmage.  Love it that we have an interior guy with the speed to rush upfield and disrupt pass play from the inside.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So more 2TE sets, maybe some 2RB sets are gonna be part of this year's game plan early in the season.  Coleman better get his guys to improve a lot ASAP in time for the tcu and blOU or it will be damn tough to win either game.  

Using 2RB sets and motioning either Keilan or Roschon out into pass routes hopefully will make up for some of the deficiencies of the current WR group. But Defenses are gonna blitz the fuck out of our offense if our WRs and QBs can't make them pay for it...

Its going to help that Robinson is a 4.3 40 guy who can stretch a defense vertically.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Catch up -- Jake Smith out again right now at USC with broken foot issues so not a loss at WR.  

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

When this dude is finally old enough to vote he's going to be unstoppable.  Really good to hear that he's tearing it up in practice/scrimmage.  Love it that we have an interior guy with the speed to rush upfield and disrupt pass play from the inside.

uhh...

48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

- We weren't able to talk one of tOSU's starting WRs from leaving. That's hardly a miss, and would have been a ridiculous coup 

- Jake Smith was injured and won't play this year

- Scouring the portal is pointless considering no one would be eligible to play this season

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

It does no good to fire now, in fact that would be the worst possible decision to make. You do it after the season. 

Yeah I don’t buy this shit.

Hey our coach sucks and can’t recruit! Let’s wait a season!

What are we losing if we get rid of him? Great recruits? Nope. Solid coaching? Nope. Consistency? Yes.

We’re losing consistently shitty results.

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

They should think about lining up Keilan Robinson at WR since the other guys suck.

One of the biggest issues has been getting WRs and QBs on the same page in regards to reading the defense. I don't think adding a RB to the position mid-camp would really solve that issue for the early season games 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

One of the biggest issues has been getting WRs and QBs on the same page in regards to reading the defense. I don't think adding a RB to the position mid-camp would really solve that issue for the early season games 

Doesn't matter how open you are if you can't catch the ball. The WR group is comprised of dudes with butter fingers and long history of injury issues. 

16 hours ago, Hermanator said:

He won't. He knows there's a good chance he'll get his shot as Card is unproven and the line probably isn't the best. If he doesn't get his shot and Card does well he'll then transfer immediately after the season. 

16 hours ago, Hermanator said:

The game is populated with a ton of guys who look mediocre in practice then step up when the games come. I think Thompson will and should get his chance to show if he's that. I would be shocked if both guys aren't getting game reps before OU

Gotta, say, your username certainly checks the fuck out. Tom, is that actually you? If so, I think another good handle might SquatsToPee. 

• Haha 4