COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

17 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yup.

Or, just decline and hope they get it before the eventual endemic of the the unvaxxed convinces them. 

Exactly.  Just had the talk with my dad yesterday that I won't be attending family Christmas this year because my sister, brother in law and their 2 kids aren't vaccinated.  I am not going to be the one responsible for giving them a breakthrough case.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Exactly.  Just had the talk with my dad yesterday that I won't be attending family Christmas this year because my sister, brother in law and their 2 kids aren't vaccinated.  I am not going to be the one responsible for giving them a breakthrough case.

Jesus never got any vaccines in his day, neither did his mother Mary before giving birth.  Why do you accept the needle but reject the Christ?  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Is it a breakthrough case if they haven't been vaccinated? I thought a breakthrough was a positive case after you've been fully vaxxed (e.g. the virus broke the lines of defense).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

never too late for divorce, homey

That's not happening, but as I gently brought up the subject of "this is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard your family do" this morning, my wife did acknowledge that I didn't need to go if I'm not comfortable.  Clearly, she's uncomfortable with it, too, but her parents are quite likely on their last year or two if not last month or two, and that's a big headwind on safety.  I mean, a couple of 90+ year olds who are fading fast brings the guilt.  (I am preparing my "we don't want to kill them by bringing in the virus, even though they're triple vaxxed, right?" counterargument.  This is going to be a long week.)

My problem is this:  if I don't go, but the other 6 of my immediate family go, what's the real difference?

Fortunately the weather is supposed to be great.  I'm going to start pressuring for an outside meal.  I'll rent the tables and chairs on my dime.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's not happening, but as I gently brought up the subject of "this is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard your family do" this morning, my wife did acknowledge that I didn't need to go if I'm not comfortable.  Clearly, she's uncomfortable with it, too, but her parents are quite likely on their last year or two if not last month or two, and that's a big headwind on safety.  I mean, a couple of 90+ year olds who are fading fast brings the guilt.  (I am preparing my "we don't want to kill them by bringing in the virus, even though they're triple vaxxed, right?" counterargument.  This is going to be a long week.)

My problem is this:  if I don't go, but the other 6 of my immediate family go, what's the real difference?

Fortunately the weather is supposed to be great.  I'm going to start pressuring for an outside meal.  I'll rent the tables and chairs on my dime.

dude, sugar babies cost less than you think they do

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This needs to be taken to the "bitch about families holiday edition" thread for the lulz.  In fact, I need to go check in on that thread.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

34 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This needs to be taken to the "bitch about families holiday edition" thread for the lulz.  In fact, I need to go check in on that thread.

Right now my family in Oklahoma and Arkansas are looking reasonable when it comes to COVID, compared to my family in North Texas.

Bill Murray Dalai Llama GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just dress the family in these, for maximum effect.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seriously though I understand the dilemma.  Over the past year and a half, my wife has lost and aunt and a grandmother - a large portion of her family prior to vaccinations didn't believe in masking, then didn't believe in vaccines.  As a result she didn't go to either funeral service since they were packed in churches.  It caused a ton of friction and anxiety, but we were at those times around a pregnant daughter and then post-vaccination also caring part time for an infant grandson.  To her it wasn't worth the risk.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Seriously though I understand the dilemma.  Over the past year and a half, my wife has lost and aunt and a grandmother - a large portion of her family prior to vaccinations didn't believe in masking, then didn't believe in vaccines.  As a result she didn't go to either funeral service since they were packed in churches.  It caused a ton of friction and anxiety, but we were at those times around a pregnant daughter and then post-vaccination also caring part time for an infant grandson.  To her it wasn't worth the risk.

it's not. if people won't do the bare minimum to stay alive and protect those around them, then they're not worth honoring when they're dead

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's not. if people won't do the bare minimum to stay alive and protect those around them, then they're not worth honoring when they're dead

To be fair, her grandmother and aunt didn't die from Covid, but the risk of getting it from going to one of their funerals was pretty high.  SInce that time my wife's sister was hospitalized for a few days (unvaxxed) and my MIL's boyfriend lost an unvaxxed son to it.  

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

To be fair, her grandmother and aunt didn't die from Covid, but the risk of getting it from going to one of their funerals was pretty high.  SInce that time my wife's sister was hospitalized for a few days (unvaxxed) and my MIL's boyfriend lost an unvaxxed son to it.  

to be fair GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

Is it a breakthrough case if they haven't been vaccinated? I thought a breakthrough was a positive case after you've been fully vaxxed (e.g. the virus broke the lines of defense).

Yeah poorly worded on my part. I'm not going to accidentally catch an undetected breakthrough case and give it to them, especially since I've been on the road 6 out of the last 6 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think that's incredibly tone deaf when it comes to a lifetime of family experience and 2 years of insane anti-science behavior.  Sorry, but you can't just demand that people turn off the love.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think that's incredibly tone deaf when it comes to a lifetime of family experience and 2 years of insane anti-science behavior.  Sorry, but you can't just demand that people turn off the love.

nope, but you can turn off respect. I love my family, but I have no respect for a large portion of them. they still go on cruises and are largely unvaxed (on one side). If covid takes one of them out, I will probably not attend their funeral. 

but this is a dumb hypothetical anyway. my comment was based off the assumption that your relatives died of covid unvaxed, which you have already corrected. take that how you will

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yeah poorly worded on my part. I'm not going to accidentally catch an undetected breakthrough case and give it to them, especially since I've been on the road 6 out of the last 6 weeks.

Gotcha. Yea I feel bad; was in Manhattan early last week and brought Omicron back and infected everyone with breakthrough. Glass half full is now that I’m a 2x Covid survivor who was fully vaccinated, I have super super duper immunity now. Until the next variant, at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

It isn't a breakthrough case if they are not vaccinated.  

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nope, but you can turn off respect. I love my family, but I have no respect for a large portion of them. they still go on cruises and are largely unvaxed (on one side). If covid takes one of them out, I will probably not attend their funeral. 

but this is a dumb hypothetical anyway. my comment was based off the assumption that your relatives died of covid unvaxed, which you have already corrected. take that how you will

I have zero evidence than any people outside of my immediate family who will be attending this lunch will be unvaxxed.  I have some suspicions, but no evidence.  My concern is that vax status is a pretty flimsy guard against omicron.  I mean, I literally just got boosted a couple of hours ago -- I myself am a threat.

I mostly hate getting this far into a pandemic with no serious illness across dozens of family members, and we're gonna fuck around to find out, "because Christmas".  Hell, one person in my house HAS COVID and they still want him to come to lunch.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

Well this weekend I get to spend a day with my nephew and his wife who both have had covid twice and my nut-job sister who believes that the vaccine cause covid and her idiot oil field trash husband.  All unvaxed of course.  At least my 83 year old dad is vaxxed and boostered.  Fuck me.

10 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I know y'all want it to be bad, but what Beasley is likely going to "find out" is that he has very mild to asymptomatic case and will feel even more confident in his decision.  And won't have to sweat out another test for the rest of the season or playoffs.

wut? they test like daily. and natural immunity means fuck all with this virus and its mutations. I'm not hoping he gets sick, but I also won't shed a tear if he does

What percentage of people that you know personally, and by that people you are in actual communication with on even the most cursory level (once every year or 2 let's say), are unvaccinated?  Seems like in Texas that percentage is relatively high.  I literally know like 3 people, 2 of which are my dipshit sister and her dipshittier husband.  But we're estranged, so whatever.  Almost every person I know, and that stretches into the hundreds, is vaccinated.  The anti-vax mentality is something I just can't process.

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wut? they test like daily. and natural immunity means fuck all with this virus and its mutations. I'm not hoping he gets sick, but I also won't shed a tear if he does

Once you test positive, and sit, you don’t have to test for 90 days. That’s been the protocol in most sports since the beginning of this. That 90 day window will extend the rest of the season for him. 

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

um, what? I'm 99% sure you do not have that correct

Honestly, not sure why that is a surprise. It’s been the policy for most sports since they returned to play. It was a big deal in college football last year. Test positive - 90 day pass. It’s still that way. And honestly, in line with CDC guidelines, which has always given a 90 day pass for those recovered when it comes to quarantining after exposure. Natural immunity is pretty much universally accepted for a LIMITED period of time. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/aaron-rodgers-gets-90-day-130548124.html

Players who test out or return after the standard quarantine period after testing positive will have a 90-day window that they will not have to be tested.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/nfl-changes-covid-19-testing-protocols-amid-current-outbreak?_amp=true

Someone who tested positive for COVID-19 with a viral test within the previous 90 days and has subsequently recovered and remains without COVID-19 symptoms does not need to quarantine. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Honestly, not sure why that is a surprise. It’s been the policy for most sports since they returned to play. It was a big deal in college football last year. Test positive - 90 day pass. It’s still that way. And honestly, in line with CDC guidelines, which has always given a 90 day pass for those recovered when it comes to quarantining after exposure. Natural immunity is pretty much universally accepted for a LIMITED period of time. 

Players who test out or return after the standard quarantine period after testing positive will have a 90-day window that they will not have to be tested.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/nfl-changes-covid-19-testing-protocols-amid-current-outbreak?_amp=true

Someone who tested positive for COVID-19 with a viral test within the previous 90 days and has subsequently recovered and remains without COVID-19 symptoms does not need to quarantine. 

Well that makes less than zero sense.

42 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

What percentage of people that you know personally, and by that people you are in actual communication with on even the most cursory level (once every year or 2 let's say), are unvaccinated?  Seems like in Texas that percentage is relatively high.  I literally know like 3 people, 2 of which are my dipshit sister and her dipshittier husband.  But we're estranged, so whatever.  Almost every person I know, and that stretches into the hundreds, is vaccinated.  The anti-vax mentality is something I just can't process.

I am the only person in my family of 5 (mom, dad, 2 sisters, and myself) that I am sure is 100% vaxxed.  I THINK my dad got vaxxed, but the rest of them won't do it.  Mom thinks she got covid back in Feb 2020, one sister had thyroid cancer and says she can't get it (not sure on that), and other sister is anti-vaxx nutjob.  All live in an affluent area of Austin.

Good times.

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

What is NFL's COVID protocol for unvaccinated players?
The NFL isn't making changes to its COVID protocols for unvaccinated players. Those individuals will still have to be tested daily for the virus, as they have been all season. If they test positive, they will still have to remain out and isolated for at least 10 days. They can only return from that 10-day quarantine if they are asymptomatic.

Additionally, unvaccinated players will have to be out for five days if they are deemed a high-risk, close contact to someone who tests positive for the virus. Vaccinated players don't have to automatically miss time as close contacts; they will just be tested extra under the league's new protocols.

Below are more details about the NFL's COVID protocol for unvaccinated players

Unvaccinated individuals must be tested for COVID every day at the team facility. If a player misses even one day of testing, they will be required to test negative for COVID for five straight days before re-entering the facility. That's what happened to Cam Newton before the final week of the Patriots' preseason.
Unvaccinated free agents must also test negative for five consecutive days before being allowed to enter a team facility.
Unvaccinated players must wear masks at all times in the facility. They cannot gather in groups larger than three players and on the road "are prohibited from congregating, visiting or mingling with individuals outside of the traveling party once they have arrived in the game city."
Unvaccinated individuals are subject to fines if they break COVID protocols. This can include anything from failing to wear a mask in the facility or going to an indoor concert or house party with more than 15 people.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/new-nfl-covid-protocols-explained-vaccinated-players/1rwnydkj3uis21qjug7kl23unk

26 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

What is NFL's COVID protocol for unvaccinated players?
The NFL isn't making changes to its COVID protocols for unvaccinated players. Those individuals will still have to be tested daily for the virus, as they have been all season. If they test positive, they will still have to remain out and isolated for at least 10 days. They can only return from that 10-day quarantine if they are asymptomatic.

Additionally, unvaccinated players will have to be out for five days if they are deemed a high-risk, close contact to someone who tests positive for the virus. Vaccinated players don't have to automatically miss time as close contacts; they will just be tested extra under the league's new protocols.

Below are more details about the NFL's COVID protocol for unvaccinated players

Unvaccinated individuals must be tested for COVID every day at the team facility. If a player misses even one day of testing, they will be required to test negative for COVID for five straight days before re-entering the facility. That's what happened to Cam Newton before the final week of the Patriots' preseason.
Unvaccinated free agents must also test negative for five consecutive days before being allowed to enter a team facility.
Unvaccinated players must wear masks at all times in the facility. They cannot gather in groups larger than three players and on the road "are prohibited from congregating, visiting or mingling with individuals outside of the traveling party once they have arrived in the game city."
Unvaccinated individuals are subject to fines if they break COVID protocols. This can include anything from failing to wear a mask in the facility or going to an indoor concert or house party with more than 15 people.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/new-nfl-covid-protocols-explained-vaccinated-players/1rwnydkj3uis21qjug7kl23unk

All of that is true. Until they get Covid. Then it’s 90 days off. After 90 days back to the protocols you posted. 

Interview from three days ago with the Chief Medical Officer. 
https://www.nfl.com/_amp/media-briefing-transcript-nfl-nflpa-covid-19-protocols-update-dec-18-2021

QUESTION: You said you saw infections in individuals that have been previously been infected, would that change the 90-day rule at all as far as not having to test if you’ve tested positive and were in the protocol and then tested out?

Dr. Sills: I think that again that’s something we’re going to have to continue to evaluate. What I was speaking to you about was sort of outlier cases and so you never want to make policy based on one or two cases. You want to look at a group aggregate and what the total experience is. Once again, I think we’ll have more information about that. We’ve not changed that definition yet in our protocol but it’s one of those things we’ll continue to watch.

Certainly though, what we’re emphasizing right now though, Mike, is you can be within your 90 days and still develop symptoms and if you are, we want you to report those. Don’t just assume that, hey, I’m in my 90 days, I can’t be infected. Currently though, we do still have the 90-day test holiday as part of this protocol but, we are emphasizing that symptom reporting is still to important in this group also. 

Edited by Don Johnson

Another article 

https://sports.yahoo.com/covid-protocols-put-unvaccinated-players-234055784.html

Will that be enough to get them to choose to be vaccinated? Probably not. Which means that, at a time when the chances of vaccinated players suddenly testing positive will be minimized, the chances of unvaccinated players ending up on COVID-19 reserve will potentially go up. It definitely won’t go down.

The good news, if there is any, is that many unvaccinated player have gotten COVID and entered the 90-day testing holiday. 

Article specific to Beasley. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/21/cole-beasley-the-rules-not-covid-are-keeping-me-out/amp/

The good news for Beasley is that, once he returns, he’ll be immune to testing or a five-day absence for “close contact” with an infected player for 90 days. Which will take him through the end of the season.

Edited by Don Johnson

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I would be surprised if half my family is vaccinated.

And way too many of them get angry even talking about it, and some will even say "look, let's not get political" even though they are the ones who are bringing politics into it by bitching about Biden or whatever.

I had an older relative (in her late 60s) tell me that she's just trying to live her life and the rest of us should do the same, and it's like "you're not living your life.  You are scared of the vaccine, you are scared you are going to get COVID because it's killed multiple friends and relatives, you mask and glove up when you go anywhere, and you are going at like 6 am or whatever to the senior-citizen hours at Walmart, etc., because you don't want to be around people and risk it.  Me, I'm going to movies, hanging out with friends or relatives, taking my vaccinated kids to the park, to movies, to eat, etc.  We'll mask up in certain situations, but we are out and about and living our lives."

I really think this attitude is all going back to people not wanting to admit they are wrong about something, or not wanting to admit that their political party was wrong about something, and so they are digging in their heels and sticking their fingers in their ears.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/20/2021 at 9:06 PM, Satchel said:

Harris County resident in his 50s dies of the Omicron variant. Of course he was unvaxxed.

one less DoTarD voter

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I don't really know, but I bet at least 50% of the people I come in contact with at work are unvaxxed. In my immediate family (3 sisters plus their husbands and kids), one sister and her husband and daughter are trumpists who aren't vaxxed. My mom is pretty trumpy but she is vaxxed (probably because my sister who she lives with works in a hospital and laid down the law to her).

I would be surprised if half my family is vaccinated.
And way too many of them get angry even talking about it, and some will even say "look, let's not get political" even though they are the ones who are bringing politics into it by bitching about Biden or whatever.
I had an older relative (in her late 60s) tell me that she's just trying to live her life and the rest of us should do the same, and it's like "you're not living your life.  You are scared of the vaccine, you are scared you are going to get COVID because it's killed multiple friends and relatives, you mask and glove up when you go anywhere, and you are going at like 6 am or whatever to the senior-citizen hours at Walmart, etc., because you don't want to be around people and risk it.  Me, I'm going to movies, hanging out with friends or relatives, taking my vaccinated kids to the park, to movies, to eat, etc.  We'll mask up in certain situations, but we are out and about and living our lives."
I really think this attitude is all going back to people not wanting to admit they are wrong about something, or not wanting to admit that their political party was wrong about something, and so they are digging in their heels and sticking their fingers in their ears.

This. 99% of antivaxxers are just textbook cases of oppositional defiance disorder. Literally nothing will change their mind. DYING won’t even do it.

We are a dead-end species.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This. 99% of antivaxxers are just textbook cases of oppositional defiance disorder. Literally nothing will change their mind. DYING won’t even do it.

We are a dead-end species.

What about vaccine injury?

Half the world is vaccinated, you think there aren't going to be some unfortunate outcomes for, albeit, a very, very small % of people? I mean, you give 7bn people a piece of spearmint gum and there are going to be injuries and long-term issues for a very, very small contingent. 

It's very easy to assume you will be the 98%, and I did and do, but it sucks for the 2% who "win" the lottery and end up with an auto-immune issue or worse, because their body doesn't handle the vaccine well.

I, for one, am both fully vaccinated (2 shots, no booster) and sympathetic to those folks and generally default to a policy of "mind my own business and give people the freedom to make their own decisions". But I've noticed a lot of people these days find it really easy to make personal decisions with other peoples bodies and spend other people's money.

• Fuck You 2

7 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I know y'all want it to be bad, but what Beasley is likely going to "find out" is that he has very mild to asymptomatic case and will feel even more confident in his decision.  And won't have to sweat out another test for the rest of the season or playoffs.

Hopefully those that Beasley spreads the virus to are just as lucky.