COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

And there's a certain percentage of people who simply can't get vaccinated due to allergies, their immune system, or whatever. The only way we can protect those is by herd immunity, and we're a long way from that since so many Americans are scared to get the jab.

And there's a certain percentage of people who simply can't get vaccinated due to allergies, their immune system, or whatever. The only way we can protect those is by herd immunity, and we're a long way from that since so many Americans are scared to get the jab.

Fuck em. They shouldn’t be so weak. ME, and MY FREEDOM TO DO WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT, are all that matter.

This is “Murica. Every man for himself, fucking Thunderdome, bitches!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, your numbers are way off already. Yes, potential vaccine injury is a thing. A very low probability thing (if we’re talking about serious injuries).

You could make the same argument for “what about people who drowned because they were trapped in their car by a seatbelt when they drove off a bridge?!” Yes. I am certain that we can find cases of people who actually suffered serious harm because they were wearing a seatbelt.

But the math dictates that if your goal is “reduce the risk of death/serious injury,” it’s a no-brainer: buckle up.

Same with a vaccine against a disease that causes serious illness and death at a much higher rate than other communicable diseases. Your .001% chance of a serious vax sode effect is much lower than your .01% chance of contracting COVID and suffering serious illness/death (and no, I don’t have those numbers precisely, I haven’t looked at them lately, but all evidence indicates that there is a wildly tilted imbalance of those risks along the lines I pointed to).

Just like “What about my uncle’s friend’s brother who drowned because he was wearing a seatbelt?!?!” isn’t a sound reason for not buckling up, so is the citation to the much lower risk of vaccine injury for not getting vaxxed.

And, when you layer on the fact that, because vaccines DO reduce transmission (they aren’t perfect at it, but the data is clear and stark that they reduce it materially), your decision on whether to get vaxxed also affects others. Likewise, your decision to be more likely to take up needed and limited medical resources when you contract COIVD (which is a more serious illness in the unvaxxed) also affects others.

When your decisions have a material impact on other people, a pure “but my RIGHTS!” A analysis doesn’t cut it.

I prefer a response to that approach like Germany has taken: refuse to get vaxxed? Cool. You don’t get the privileges of playing in the public sandbox that vaxxed people get. No dinner out, no concerts with others, no bars, etc. Exercise your choice all you want. But you don’t get to impose your risks on others.

For those who are healthy, fit and young, I’m not sure your numbers jibe. That said, I agree with your perspective and it’s why I am vaccinated, but I do understand and sympathize with the “Joe Rogan Defense”, let’s call it, of “I’d rather get Covid and get over it because it won’t hurt me and I’m more worried about an unforced error I.e. vaccine injuries.”

• Fuck You 7

For those who are healthy, fit and young, I’m not sure your numbers jibe. That said, I agree with your perspective and it’s why I am vaccinated, but I do understand and sympathize with the “Joe Rogan Defense”, let’s call it, of “I’d rather get Covid and get over it because it won’t hurt me and I’m more worried about an unforced error I.e. vaccine injuries.”

And then they end up in the hospital, taking up space and resources that are limited due to people with that line of thinking. So, the unvaccinated (by choice) are still assholes. If they would just stay home and die there, that would be great.

Also, I have close family that refuse. Two nephews, a niece, an aunt and uncle… I have a close friend and he and his family aren’t (his wife has gotten caught up in conspiracies).
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

And then they end up in the hospital, taking up space and resources that are limited due to people with that line of thinking. So, the unvaccinated (by choice) are still assholes. If they would just stay home and die there, that would be great.

Also, I have close family that refuse. Two nephews, a niece, an aunt and uncle… I have a close friend and he and his family aren’t (his wife has gotten caught up in conspiracies).

I agree that if you decide to go unvaxxed you should be means tested (e.g. have a high threshold of insurance and/or liquidity to cover your medical costs in a worst case out of pocket) and not allowed public hospitals (E.R., etc.).

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

I agree that if you decide to go unvaxxed you should be means tested (e.g. have a high threshold of insurance and/or liquidity to cover your medical costs in a worst case out of pocket) and not allowed public hospitals (E.R., etc.).

Which previously crowdsourced poster is this?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just found out my aunt has the 'vid.  Mid-80s, overweight, various old person health issues.  Double vaxxed, no booster.  She's the last surviving member on either side of my family from all prior generations.  She was scheduled for a heart ablation procedure, felt a "cold" coming on, and wisely got tested -- positive.  She was able to receive a monoclonal antibody infusion, and says she's well past the worst part, but I'm still worried.  She's a classic Trump supporter, but in this case I don't think she fucked around and found out so much as she just drew the short straw.  I supposed she might not have been as careful in public as she could have, but I don't really know.

• Hook 'Em 6

My cousin, age 70 and obese, got his booster about a month ago.  Felt like shit the next day, attributed it to the shot, felt shittier and tested positive.  He's been in the hospital  for the last few weeks with double pneumonia and a collapsed lung.  He's on oxygen with a chest tube in and they keep draining fluid.  His mother, my aunt, died early this year (non-Covid related) at age 92.  Didn't get to go to the funeral of course.  His dad, my uncle, age 96 is absolutely frantic about his son.  My cousin has been super-careful but the timing of this shit didn't work out for him.  If he dies because of the abject stupidity of the anti-vaxxers I'm gonna cut a bitch (yeah yeah I know, he shouldn't be old and fat, fuck off).

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Or shouldn't be in hospitals at all.  How about this, just get vaxxed.  Stop being selfish assholes.  There is NOTHING to understand about these people.

I think they can go to private hospitals or clinics where they have to pay premiums, but any public hospital should be off limits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just found out my aunt has the 'vid.  Mid-80s, overweight, various old person health issues.  Double vaxxed, no booster.  She's the last surviving member on either side of my family from all prior generations.  She was scheduled for a heart ablation procedure, felt a "cold" coming on, and wisely got tested -- positive.  She was able to receive a monoclonal antibody infusion, and says she's well past the worst part, but I'm still worried.  She's a classic Trump supporter, but in this case I don't think she fucked around and found out so much as she just drew the short straw.  I supposed she might not have been as careful in public as she could have, but I don't really know.

13 minutes ago, M12BH said:

My cousin, age 70 and obese, got his booster about a month ago.  Felt like shit the next day, attributed it to the shot, felt shittier and tested positive.  He's been in the hospital  for the last few weeks with double pneumonia and a collapsed lung.  He's on oxygen with a chest tube in and they keep draining fluid.  His mother, my aunt, died early this year (non-Covid related) at age 92.  Didn't get to go to the funeral of course.  His dad, my uncle, age 96 is absolutely frantic about his son.  My cousin has been super-careful but the timing of this shit didn't work out for him.  If he dies because of the abject stupidity of the anti-vaxxers I'm gonna cut a bitch (yeah yeah I know, he shouldn't be old and fat, fuck off).

Hoping the best for both of your family members.

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

It's very easy to assume you will be the 98%, and I did and do, but it sucks for the 2% who "win" the lottery and end up with an auto-immune issue or worse, because their body doesn't handle the vaccine well.

Gonna need a source for this claim that 2% of vaccine recipients end up with an auto-immune issue or worse. Bonus points if your source doesn't include the words Joe Rogan.

13 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Gonna need a source for this claim that 2% of vaccine recipients end up with an auto-immune issue or worse. Bonus points if your source doesn't include the words Joe Rogan.

Dude I don't know that number, I was making a guess. Call it .02% if it makes you feel better and sure I'll devote some time to dig up some numbers later, but funny how my back of the napkin math is called to question but Brisket's isn't.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 12

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

oppositional defiance disorder. 

First I've heard of this descriptor.  And it's perfect.  The only reason not to do something is because someone is telling you to do it.  In fact, my wife has a mild case of this when it comes to me.  I'm going to pull this on her.  Soon.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, MonkeyCigarette said:

Dude I don't know that number, I was making a guess. Call it .02% if it makes you feel better and sure I'll devote some time to dig up some numbers later, but funny how my back of the napkin math is called to question but Brisket's isn't.

Right, you're being persecuted. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

This is the funniest post ever, so + repped.  That is some back of the used toilet paper “math”, homie!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

Do you have any evidence at all that this is a thing? This isn't back of the napkin math, it is utter bullshit. At least point potential real shit like myocarditis and vaccination (which is incredibly low-risk, like a handful of cases per million and lower than just the myocarditis risk associated with non-vaccinated infection) and don't just throw shit at the wall. Negged for posting complete misinformation.  

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

It's very easy to assume you will be the 98%, and I did and do, but it sucks for the 2% who "win" the lottery and end up with an auto-immune issue or worse, because their body doesn't handle the vaccine well.

Read past this post and legit thought I clicked on the Daily Texan thread. Holy shit balls. Be honest, do you get a migraine from calculating the tip on your weekly Applebees venture? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Or shouldn't be in hospitals at all.  How about this, just get vaxxed.  Stop being selfish assholes.  There is NOTHING to understand about these people.

This.  Either you believe in medical science or you don't.  If you do, get vaxxed.  If you don't, stay the fuck home if you get COVID.  But they won't.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

Graveyard don't lie shithead. Letting people "get over it" means the hospital is so slammed there's no room for the normal emergencies.

Fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 3

No possible way they are sick with the virus that has been circulating the globe for the last 2 years and has fucked up life as we knew it.  Totally a biological weapon attack by Soros.  These people are a drain on society and should be jettisoned.

Edited by Biff Tannen
in response to the qanon nonsense
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 7:38 PM, Lobo said:

In the Animal Kingdom, isn't Anthrax also "Hoof & Mouth Disease"?    (serious question for the Aggie animal husbandry experts on here)

I'm no aggy, but...

lol no, two totally different diseases.  Hoof and mouth (AkA foot and mouth disease) is a viral infection that infects cattle, pigs, deer, etc. 

Anthrax is a bacterial disease.

(There is also "hand, foot, and mouth disease", which is also viral but completely different from Hoof and mouth.)

Edited by High Plains Drifter

On 12/22/2021 at 7:38 PM, Lobo said:

In the Animal Kingdom, isn't Anthrax also "Hoof & Mouth Disease"?    (serious question for the Aggie animal husbandry experts on here)

Nope, and the biggest difference is that trying to infect some motherfucker in Bolivia with anthrax, who was undercounting a few shipments, can get you a visit from the feds. If you are thinking ahead though, and have a few cases of Anthrax (the rock band) t-shirts laying around, and a bunch of the band's posters and albums on your walls, and you've created a fake website with your name, to sell Anthrax (the band)'s t-shirts, etc., then the feds will get confused and will only pop you for selling counterfeit goods (which is still expensive).