COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

On 11/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, South Austin said:

Ain’t no party like a COVID party.

On 11/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, Underdog said:

It's my covid party and I’ll die if I want to

Die if I want to

Die if I want to 

You would die to if it happened to you... 

Its a covid party, who could ask for more?

Everybody's coming, leave your body at the door.

Leave your body and soul at the door.

• Hook 'Em 3

Found out this afternoon via group text from my HS crew that a guy I grew up with and had known since the 2nd grade just died from Covid. I haven't spoken with him in about 10 years, but let's just say he was really vocal on FB about his radical beliefs. He'd always been an unstable gun nut and let's just say "intense."

Edit: We joked that he was like our own Walter Sobchak growing up.

One of my friends from the group text screenshot and shared his last couple of DM interactions with him from FB from earlier this fall. Screensho1.thumb.jpg.3f2814eea43a12208170e8a4d4bdb19c.jpg

Screensho1(1).jpg

Edited by bolverk

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

what is it with old high school friends? i mean i went to school in Houston, not exactly redneck... but literally 95% of my 'friends' that stayed in Houston are full on maga-tards.

i'm constantly like "oh hey it's that guy, i used to love that guy! cool!" accept... scroll...scroll..."hmm..." scroll..."wait what?!"...scroll..."oh fuck this guy" UNFRIEND 😄

Oh, you should have went to high school out in Fort Bend County/Sugar Land/Stafford/Mo City area.  Had a lot of high school classmates who went full on MAGA.

And they are pissed as hell about what "Sugar Land and Missouri City have become".

• Haha 2

Oh, you should have went to high school out in Fort Bend County/Sugar Land/Stafford/Mo City area.  Had a lot of high school classmates who went full on MAGA.
And they are pissed as hell about what "Sugar Land and Missouri City have become".

Deer Park… and it’s still the racist shithole it was when I was growing up

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Found out this afternoon via group text from my HS crew that a guy I grew up with and had known since the 2nd grade just died from Covid. I haven't spoken with him in about 10 years, but let's just say he was really vocal on FB about his radical beliefs. He'd always been an unstable gun nut and let's just say "intense."

One of my friends from the group text screenshot and shared his last couple of DM interactions with him from FB from earlier this fall. 

Screensho1(1).jpg

Ain't skeert.  And ain't anything else.  Sorry for the loss, Bolverk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

what is it with old high school friends? i mean i went to school in Houston, not exactly redneck... but literally 95% of my 'friends' that stayed in Houston are full on maga-tards.

i'm constantly like "oh hey it's that guy, i used to love that guy! cool!" accept... scroll...scroll..."hmm..." scroll..."wait what?!"...scroll..."oh fuck this guy" UNFRIEND 😄

i will bold your underline. 

for me, and its my opinion of course, this applies to people everywhere. you are either learning or dying. if you are staying put for some time - job, friends, living, you will end up with the same cancer that was there to begin with. 

that'll be $10.95. Inflation. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, Foosters said:

Excellent penmanship for someone whose BAC was likely hovering around the .20 mark.

The penmanship gets bad when the BAC drops 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

One of my friends from the group text screenshot and shared his last couple of DM interactions with him from FB from earlier this fall. Screensho1.thumb.jpg.3f2814eea43a12208170e8a4d4bdb19c.jpg

Screensho1(1).jpg

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Ain't skeert.  And ain't anything else.  Sorry for the loss, Bolverk.

Appreciate that, man. It hurts.

Even though he and I had lost touch, I still counted him as one of my oldest friends. His dad was an anesthesiologist, so his family was pretty well off growing up and were the only ones in the neighborhood that had a swimming pool. I can't count the number of summer afternoons I spent at his backyard pool. Hell, he and another hometown friend even moved in with me when I was getting my undergrad, and he enrolled in nursing school.

The dude was always "off" but these old friendships and sentiments die hard. I think the last he and I spoke was over the phone when he was consoling me while I was drunk and going through my divorce. I think he must've unfriended me in the last couple of years - not sure when as I spend very little time on FB anymore - but I do recall his posts becoming increasingly angry and confrontational after Trump came along.

But, yeah, as others have noted, he went back to our small West Texas hometown after achieving whatever nursing level he had and stayed.

• Hook 'Em 3

https://www.tmz.com/2021/12/03/agt-americas-got-talent-jay-jay-phillips-dead-dies-covid/

"America's Got Talent" standout Jay Jay Phillips -- whose big hair gained as much attention as his talent -- has died from complications related to COVID-19.

A family member tells us Jay Jay was battling the disease at home Thanksgiving week. We're told family and friends were continuously checking in with him over the phone, and he took a turn for the worse the day before the holiday.

Jay Jay's family urged him to go to the hospital, but he just told them he needed more sleep ... and that was the last time they heard from him.

We're told Jay Jay's girlfriend and her mom -- who is a nurse -- went to check on him Thanksgiving Day and found him dead. The family member tells us Phillips was not vaccinated, but just before he got sick had started to tell people he planned on getting the shot soon.

Phillips' dad, who he lived with, is currently hospitalized and fighting for his life on a ventilator.

51310461-10272679-image-a-8_163855767942

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is an entire American subculture I am wholly unaware of.  I just watched that "America's Got Talent" feature on the guy . . .  good lord.  Sorry you died, dude, but we're not exactly down an artist on the scoreboard.

Every time I peek, I'm amazed at the numbers those shitty reality shows are pulling down on the broadcast networks, given what we have access to on the streaming networks. When The $100,000 Pyramid is pulling down 3 million viewers....or America's Got Talent is pulling down 6 million viewers...

I mean, I get that most people haven't (or can't) cut the cord and are still rocking cable TV and over-the-air TV, and I get that there are plenty of older folks still hanging on and watching plenty of broadcast TV.

But America's Got Talent is nailing down the 18-49 demographic.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Every time I peek, I'm amazed at the numbers those shitty reality shows are pulling down on the broadcast networks, given what we have access to on the streaming networks. When The $100,000 Pyramid is pulling down 3 million viewers....or America's Got Talent is pulling down 6 million viewers...

I mean, I get that most people haven't (or can't) cut the cord and are still rocking cable TV and over-the-air TV, and I get that there are plenty of older folks still hanging on and watching plenty of broadcast TV.

But America's Got Talent is nailing down the 18-49 demographic.  

You really shouldn’t be amazed. You and the people who post on here do not even come close to representing the vast majority of the American people. 

The vast majority simply do not care about politics and to the extent they ever do, rely on people or institutions they trust to tell them how to vote.

What has changed is the republicans have long ago abandoned any semblance of making the country better and it’s all about enriching themselves. This started in the late 60s-70s with Nixon and kept progressing and reached its zenith with Trump. The dems for their part have sat back and let it happen, with certain dem politicians enriching themselves in the process. 

It’s a mess. That’s for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm not aging well, but that's a fucking rough looking 55.  The extra half-chromosome probably isn't helping.  What a shock he was an anti-vaxx Trumper.  

Did not see that coming.  

NPR looked at deaths per 100,000 people in roughly 3,000 counties across the U.S. from May 2021, the point at which vaccinations widely became available. People living in counties that went 60% or higher for Trump in November 2020 had 2.78 times the death rates of those that went for Biden. Counties with an even higher share of the vote for Trump saw higher COVID-19 mortality rates.

In October, the reddest tenth of the country saw death rates that were six times higher than the bluest tenth, according to Charles Gaba, an independent health care analyst who's been tracking partisanship trends during the pandemic and helped to review NPR's methodology. Those numbers have dropped slightly in recent weeks, Gaba says: "It's back down to around 5.5 times higher."

literally dying at 3 to 6 times higher rates to own the libs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

literally dying at 3 to 6 times higher rates to own the libs

That's fucking dedication, that's what that is.  

As the great pro-Trumper Reinhard Heydrich, once said, "Let us astonish Charles Darwin."  

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

We don't have access to all of the data that the the demographer from the Brookings Institution relies upon, but I will remind y'all of the limitations of comparing statistics  generated from small numbers with statistics generated from large numbers.

As a preface, in round numbers, Biden carried around 500 large, highly populated urban counties.  Trump carried around 2,500 counties, many of those located in lightly populated flyover country.

I hunt in Menard and Schleicher counties.  That is flyover country, for sure. Both solidly Red in recent elections.

The latest statistics I saw tonight show that Menard County has a Covid death statistic of 16,136 per 100,000 of population.  Schleicher County shows a Covid death statistic of 12,925 per 100,000 of population.

Menard County has experienced 11 total deaths attributed to Covid from 2020 to date.  Schleicher County has experienced 9 total deaths attributed to Covid from 2020 to date. 

The population of Menard County is around 2,250.  The population of Schleicher County is around 2,450.

I would be interested to see how these two lightly populated counties, and others like them, impacted the conclusions of this study.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

8 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

We don't have access to all of the data that the the demographer from the Brookings Institution relies upon, but I will remind y'all of the limitations of comparing statistics  generated from small numbers with statistics generated from large numbers.

As a preface, in round numbers, Biden carried around 500 large, highly populated urban counties.  Trump carried around 2,500 counties, many of those located in lightly populated flyover country.

I hunt in Menard and Schleicher counties.  That is flyover country, for sure. Both solidly Red in recent elections.

The latest statistics I saw tonight show that Menard County has a Covid death statistic of 16,136 per 100,000 of population.  Schleicher County shows a Covid death statistic of 12,925 per 100,000 of population.

Menard County has experienced 11 total deaths attributed to Covid from 2020 to date.  Schleicher County has experienced 9 total deaths attributed to Covid from 2020 to date. 

The population of Menard County is around 2,250.  The population of Schleicher County is around 2,450.

I would be interested to see how these two lightly populated counties, and others like them, impacted the conclusions of this study.

well, yeah, except those 11 per 2250 ratios happen 1000 times across the country, which makes the numbers meaningful.  there were 70 million people that voted for trump.  you can draw circles around big bunches of them or small bunches of them when looking at data, but they still add up to 70 million either way.

• Hook 'Em 2

We're told Jay Jay's girlfriend and her mom -- who is a nurse -- went to check on him Thanksgiving Day and found him dead. The family member tells us Phillips was not vaccinated, but just before he got sick had started to tell people he planned on getting the shot soon.

I no longer talk vaccines with unvaccinated but I remember being confused earlier this year with all of the people that would mention they were getting the vaccine soon. Even once the vaccine was open to all and the wait times were minimal. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I no longer talk vaccines with unvaccinated but I remember being confused earlier this year with all of the people that would mention they were getting the vaccine soon. Even once the vaccine was open to all and the wait times were minimal. 

Donald was touting the beautiful vaccine during the election, so I figured his legion of followers would all get their shots.  Yet, the unscientific data suggests that a huge number of anti-vaxxers are Trumpies, which confuses me so.

i think all that speaks to trump being part of the ecosystem and not necessarily the sole voice of it.  he amplifies skepticism of the medical world for hydroxycloroquin and anti mask.  everyone sees him as an ally and paints on it their own anti medical stuff.  same is true for any number of bits of stupidity.  birtherism from him, racism of whatever stripe from his supporters generally.