COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The latest statistics I saw tonight show that Menard County has a Covid death statistic of 16,136 per 100,000 of population.  Schleicher County shows a Covid death statistic of 12,925 per 100,000 of population.

Menard County has experienced 11 total deaths attributed to Covid from 2020 to date.  Schleicher County has experienced 9 total deaths attributed to Covid from 2020 to date. 

The population of Menard County is around 2,250.  The population of Schleicher County is around 2,450.

I haven't had enough coffee yet, so treat me like a 3rd grader.  How does one (for instance) derive 16,136 per 100,000 of population (16.1%) out of 11 deaths & 2,250 people (0.49%)?

Either I don't understand what a "death statistic" is, or they are WAY out of whack.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't had enough coffee yet, so treat me like a 3rd grader.  How does one (for instance) derive 16,136 per 100,000 of population (16.1%) out of 11 deaths & 2,250 people (0.49%)?

Either I don't understand what a "death statistic" is, or they are WAY out of whack.

Clearly the deaths per number is not 2020 to date like the total deaths number is.

This is why you should always show your work.

Meanwhile, unvaccinated Trumpers are more likely to die, solely based on being morons. Fuck 'em.

12 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

literally dying at 3 to 6 times higher rates to own the libs

That's just fucking fascinating to me.  And why can't they figure out the truth?  Because the "fake news" are the ones who are pushing the "vaccines reduce the likelihood of serious illness or death" message.  And another funny thing is they are playing the "Big Pharma" card, when it's the GOP that's been in the back pocket of pharma for decades.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And another funny thing is they are playing the "Big Pharma" card, when it's the GOP that's been in the back pocket of pharma for decades.

Well, to be fair, a pretty large contingent of Democrats have been owned by Big Pharma down through the years, too. It's why significant reform has been virtually impossible.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just want to take a moment and remember when the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES was saying that this virus would disappear like a miracle.  He really believed this.  Or at the very least he knew his cult would believe it.  That will be looked back on in history as a truly WOW moment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just want to take a moment and remember when the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES was saying that this virus would disappear like a miracle.  He really believed this.

No, he knew in late February 2020 that it was airborne, and bad.  He admitted it to Bob Woodward, and later doubled down to Lester Holt. 

He intentionally lied to the American people for months afterwards.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

No, he knew in late February 2020 that it was airborne, and bad.  He admitted it to Bob Woodward, and later doubled down to Lester Holt. 

He intentionally lied to the American people for months afterwards.

He was WAAAAAY more concerned about re-election than potential American deaths.  By a factor of a bazillion.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Donald was touting the beautiful vaccine during the election, so I figured his legion of followers would all get their shots.  Yet, the unscientific data suggests that a huge number of anti-vaxxers are Trumpies, which confuses me so.

Its like if you want your kids to wear their seat belt, telling them to wear their seat belt ain't going to do shit, if they see you not wearing your seat belt. Sure he mentioned the big beautiful vaccine, but when the overriding message is hoax, don't worry about, it'll go away like a miracle, blah blah blah, the sheep hear the bullshit, and act on it.

How many lives could that fat POS have saved if he had been the first one to get the vaccine on national television, immediately followed by Pence and all his cabinet?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

If the death rate were 16%, there would literally be bodies piling up in the streets. That is one out of every six people dead.

10 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

We don't have access to all of the data that the the demographer from the Brookings Institution relies upon, but I will remind y'all of the limitations of comparing statistics  generated from small numbers with statistics generated from large numbers.

As a preface, in round numbers, Biden carried around 500 large, highly populated urban counties.  Trump carried around 2,500 counties, many of those located in lightly populated flyover country.

I hunt in Menard and Schleicher counties.  That is flyover country, for sure. Both solidly Red in recent elections.

The latest statistics I saw tonight show that Menard County has a Covid death statistic of 16,136 per 100,000 of population.  Schleicher County shows a Covid death statistic of 12,925 per 100,000 of population.

Menard County has experienced 11 total deaths attributed to Covid from 2020 to date.  Schleicher County has experienced 9 total deaths attributed to Covid from 2020 to date. 

The population of Menard County is around 2,250.  The population of Schleicher County is around 2,450.

I would be interested to see how these two lightly populated counties, and others like them, impacted the conclusions of this study.

Minimal impact as an individual county. From the notes to the chart: 

"Averages are weighted by county population."

And later from the methodology section:

"Some counties that have reported no COVID-19 deaths since May 1 may have stopped reporting. These counties generally have very small populations and have a negligible impact on the weighted averages. Erring on the side of caution, we include all data unless it is known that they are in error."

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, also this. The numbers for Menard county are actually 489 per 100k.

So, this shows it is on higher end of the spectrum. And it's one county among many, but in generally fits the overall trend of Trumpian counties have higher death rates. 

38 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Its like if you want your kids to wear their seat belt, telling them to wear their seat belt ain't going to do shit, if they see you not wearing your seat belt. Sure he mentioned the big beautiful vaccine, but when the overriding message is hoax, don't worry about, it'll go away like a miracle, blah blah blah, the sheep hear the bullshit, and act on it.

How many lives could that fat POS have saved if he had been the first one to get the vaccine on national television, immediately followed by Pence and all his cabinet?

How many lives could have been saved if, even before the vaccine, he said 'everyone please wear a mask' and wore one himself?  He'd probably still be president.  Showing any kind of leadership would have probably got him re-elected.  Instead, it was not his responsibility.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

He was WAAAAAY more concerned about re-election than potential American deaths.  By a factor of a bazillion.

Twofold bonus for him--if more urban dwellers got sick and died, it was less votes for the opponent and he (or rather Jared) could extort the cities for money for supplies.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, shakahorn said:

How many lives could have been saved if, even before the vaccine, he said 'everyone please wear a mask' and wore one himself?  He'd probably still be president.  Showing any kind of leadership would have probably got him re-elected.  Instead, it was not his responsibility.

He was given a national crisis that competent politicians would have turned into an easy reelection.  Even if they thought it was all a hoax, they would have used it to pull in a shit-ton of people from the middle and opposition.

Would it have been on the level of the 1984 Presidential election?

No, but he wouldn't have been losing his mind and trying to bully individual states and even counties to do recounts and "find" votes for him.  He'd be laughing at Biden for losing bigger than Hillary.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fair to assume trump or his team decided that population density was a large driver for Covid (especially after nyc blew up early) and decided that the heaviest casualties would be in cities which are D votes?  

Then the vaccines came out and inverted things, and now it’s anti vax crowds that are the casualties which at this point are more R voters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Fair to assume trump or his team decided that population density was a large driver for Covid (especially after nyc blew up early) and decided that the heaviest casualties would be in cities which are D votes?  

It's not only fair to assume, one of his evil male spawn (Junior or Eric, can't remember) was found to have spearheaded that policy.  It was absolutely a politically motivated move.

I just went to sorryantivaxxer and saw this post:

870a07_c301c79011244abf8cf20491462af559~

A doctor said "it's just a virus like any other virus, nothing to be concerned about"? What the fuck?

There are two options: 1) either that doctor is a moron who should not be practicing medicine; or 2) William Hartmann is a lying asshole.

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

I just went to sorryantivaxxer and saw this post:

870a07_c301c79011244abf8cf20491462af559~

A doctor said "it's just a virus like any other virus, nothing to be concerned about"? What the fuck?

There are two options: 1) either that doctor is a moron who should not be practicing medicine; or 2) William Hartmann is a lying asshole.

Ehh that was feb 2020.  

On 12/7/2021 at 11:57 AM, shakahorn said:

No kidding.  George W literally had our freedom’s restricted all in the name of protecting our freedom and most rode that to a second term. 

3 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

No kidding.  George W literally had our freedom’s restricted all in the name of protecting our freedom and most rode that to a second term. 

It's way easier to get everyone to play along when it's "us" vs "them". Didn't hurt that "they" were brown either

So much data out showing you are (if unvaccinated) much more likely to die from Covid if:

1) you’re over 60

2) BMI >40

That’s the Fox news demographic. 
Just crazy that the Republicans would rather believe the equivalent of “aggy fan fiction about a visiting fan’s experience at Kyle field” in terms of vaccine risk and run a much higher risk of dying than take a fucking ounce  of prevention. 

Idiocracy at its finest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

So much data out showing you are (if unvaccinated) much more likely to die from Covid if:

1) you’re over 60

2) BMI >40

Just crazy that the Republicans would rather believe the equivalent of “aggy fan fiction about a visiting fan’s experience at Kyle field” in terms of vaccine risk and run a much higher risk of dying than take a fucking ounce  of prevention. 

Idiocracy at its finest. 

Really crazy when Trump invented the vaccine and busted his ass getting it deployed everywhere.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:00 AM, BrazilHorn said:

1) you’re over 60

2) BMI >40

Idiocracy at its finest. 

Believe that about half of the deaths in Harris county involved diabetes.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:18 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Somewhere I saw a story that ED was a side effect of getting sick from the virus

Well then we should expect more assault rifle purchases in hotspot counties in the coming weeks.  

Great...just what we need.  

On 12/3/2021 at 7:54 PM, atomheartbevo said:

"Jay Jay's family urged him to go to the hospital, but he just told them he needed more sleep ... and that was the last time they heard from him."

+ Rep for Jay Jay. If you don't want the vaccine, if you don't want to follow mask mandates, then keep your dying ass away from the hospitals. Don't jeopardize the lives of the care givers and other critically ill patients there because you're ignorant and selfish 

• Hook 'Em 3