COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

56 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Bob seemed more like he was overconfident in his immune system/physical abilities. Happens to all of us from time to time. He chose poorly. That one is sad.

But Kelly and Duke? Fuck’em. Like someone else’s link said: 

Deliberately causing your own death from a preventable disease isn't a tragedy. It's evolution. 

I may have missed it, but I read the LA times and it did not indicate that Kelly was not waxed, only that she opposed mandates.

58 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Deliberately causing your own death from a preventable disease isn't a tragedy. It's evolution. 

I may have missed it but I read the LA times article about Kelly and I don't believe it indicated that she was not vaxed, only that she did not agree with mandates.

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i think that's what has made me so sad/conflicted about everything happening. i know these people, and i know the kindness in their hearts. they were just genuinely good people. as an example, when i was a kid i went on a lot of family road trips with my aunt and uncle. every single time we came upon someone stranded on the highway my uncle would pull over to help them. didn't matter how close or far we were from our destination, didn't matter their skin color, didn't matter what time it was or how many kids were in the back screaming/punching each other. flash forward 30 years, and he's wearing a MAGA hat and bought into a movement that is the polar opposite of who/what i knew him to be.

i love them dearly, but none of them are smart. none of them went to college, and none of them are able to think critically. they were easy prey, and slowly over time, rush limbaugh, fox news, facebook just chipped away until whatever part of them i knew was gone.

it's just sad.

I hear you.  I've had that conversation with my kids -- how do you reconcile, say the southern archetype that many of us knew growing up: a relative or friend who was genuinely kind, giving, and charitable.  The "would give you the shirt off his back" kind of guy, and hell, even did so for black people.  BUT.....who also used the N word regularly, talked about how black people couldn't help it, they just don't have it in them to work hard/be smart, etc., and of course, he'd never trust one to handle his money or marry his daughter.  He might even say some truly vile racist shit.  But again, he's otherwise kind and good, sometimes even to the very people he speaks so awfully about.

How do we reconcile that?  How do we deal with that person?

The MAGAs are putting many of us in a similar predicament.  My son even noted it, out deer hunting recently -- how the guys we hunted with were good and kind, but several were super Trumpy. and he's CONFIDENT that a few of them from E. Texas say the N word with a hard R.  So, how do you think of that person?

I'm sorry your family is going through this.  It's horrifying to see on the macro level (our country) and on the micro level (our family and friends).

For me, it comes down to actions.  The words and thoughts aren't excused or forgiven.  But it's when their actions cause harm, and they double down on it and refuse to acknowledge the harm they have caused and will continue to cause.....that I'm done with them.  If you say the N-word but are kind to black people.....I don't like it one bit, but in the spirit of living together, I can begrudgingly accept it.  But when you do and actively support things that you KNOW will hurt black people (or brown people, etc.), and you actually WANT that outcome.....nope.  I'm done with you.

The harm being done by the MAGA anti-vaxxers is real.  I do not forgive it.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I may have missed it, but I read the LA times and it did not indicate that Kelly was not waxed, only that she opposed mandates.

I may have missed it but I read the LA times article about Kelly and I don't believe it indicated that she was not vaxed, only that she did not agree with mandates.

That kind of personal detail doesn't seem germane to the story they're reporting. And now I can't unsee it. She looks like she had a gunt. Blech.

99% of the people who are dying of covid these days have refused to get a vaccination. Draw your own conclusions. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

49 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It is private information unless she stated otherwise, but as @SydneyCarton mentions, the unvaccinated are more likely to have severe symptoms.

Here is a screenshot of Orange County hospitalizations:

948435075_Orangecounty.png.0328a1f022d830771991c632b2a72a94.png

They haven't rolled over to the new year lately on this specific graph, but currently in Orange County there are 614 COVID patients and of those, 110 are in ICU. The % of hospitalized patients is running at 87% there with 88% of ICU admits being unvaccinated. I don't know how they determine the status (with respect to partial vaccination, booster etc)

It would not be too much of a stretch to speculate that the deceased was not vaccinated.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

fixy for the ocd types.

That was later stated in the opinion piece. Pretty sure it’s the page behind this one or the political Covid thread in CR. 

I have a sister and cousin who are antivaxx so I am worried about them and love them but ultimately, I can’t live anyone else’s life. 

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Update: Aunt, Uncle and my 93 YO Grandmother now all in the hospital. with covid-induced pneumonia. makes me both very sad and very angry.

I'm sorry.  My mom and dad both got it from my dipshit BIL at Christmas but they are both vaxxed.  Hoping for the best for your family.

55 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i think that's what has made me so sad/conflicted about everything happening. i know these people, and i know the kindness in their hearts. they were just genuinely good people. as an example, when i was a kid i went on a lot of family road trips with my aunt and uncle. every single time we came upon someone stranded on the highway my uncle would pull over to help them. didn't matter how close or far we were from our destination, didn't matter their skin color, didn't matter what time it was or how many kids were in the back screaming/punching each other. flash forward 30 years, and he's wearing a MAGA hat and bought into a movement that is the polar opposite of who/what i knew him to be.

i love them dearly, but none of them are smart. none of them went to college, and none of them are able to think critically. they were easy prey, and slowly over time, rush limbaugh, fox news, facebook just chipped away until whatever part of them i knew was gone.

it's just sad.

The silver lining, which we should all strive to look for, is that they will be hitting their annual out of pocket cap reeeeeal early in the year so they can knock out some surgeries they’ve been putting off. 

otherwise, very sorry you are dealing with this situation.  My first thought was that I’d be either passive aggressive with them or regular aggressive with them if it was my family, but upon a little reflection I hope I’d throttle down because that kind of action isn’t helpful to people either about to die or that you want to maintain a relationship with after their ordeal. 

47 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Will inject all kinds of plastic nonsense into their ACTUAL FACES but won’t get a vaccine because they don’t know what’s in it.

I think the saddest part of this whole situation is we're clearly being beaten by an inferior foe. Tyranny of the minority. We're prisoners of their stupidity. Maddening.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, achooloco said:

Bob seemed more like he was overconfident in his immune system/physical abilities. Happens to all of us from time to time. He chose poorly. That one is sad.

I'm in decent shape, normally jog multiple times a week, and walk a few miles a day at minimum, and mostly watch what I eat.

But several years ago, I had pneumonia and holy shit it made me start thinking about what would happen to my kids if I wasn't around.  I didn't end up in the hospital (had a sharp doctor who immediately got me an x-ray at ARC), but I sure as fuck thought I was going to die.

I don't fuck around with lung-related issues.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Wife and i got it. Both double vaccine and booster. Think caught it around Christmas. Im asymptomatic. No fever , aches, snot, coughing. Wife has slight fever and aches. Our son tested negative. I completely understand how scientists, doctors can be lost when it comes to this illness

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, Goredho said:

This is some 4D FAAFO right here...

alright, lots going on here. First off, this is the first time I have seen this. This happened 3 days ago and when watching the video I immediately noticed it was my old hood.

Second, confused that I haven't heard about it so I casually looked at some news websites. Nothing. Checked another, nothing. So then got a bit more serious and did a dedicated site search (via google) and of course its fucked. One conservative outlet (Skynews) has the story, while 3 left leaning ones (theage, 9news, and news7) all do not have shit on their websites about it. Fucking media makes me ragey. You enable dumb shit and conspiracies with childish censorship like this.

Third, at the end of the vid the guy says its on Dan Andrews. Sure, I hate DAndrews as well (state governor, big government douchebag with working legs) but I think the guy lighting himself on fire should bear the bulk on the responsibility for lighting himself on fire.

This fucking timeline

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

IBut several years ago, I had pneumonia and holy shit it made me start thinking about what would happen to my kids if I wasn't around.  I didn't end up in the hospital (had a sharp doctor who immediately got me an x-ray at ARC), but I sure as fuck thought I was going to die.

Pneumonia is nothing to fuck with.  I've been a severe asthmatic all my life, and until the advent of drugs like Advair, I was in a constant state of starved oxygen.  That alone can lead to higher risk of pneumonia.  Thankfully now I am in great shape and almost never suffer even the slightest wheeze . . . the power of modern medicine at work.

One time I had asthma lead me to a case of bacterial pneumonia for which I spent 10 days in the hospital.  Let me just say when the doc strolls in, pops up your x-ray, and says "you have a 10% chance of dying from this", it gets your attention.  10% sounds like a small number until you're staring it in the face.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, staboner said:

alright, lots going on here. First off, this is the first time I have seen this. This happened 3 days ago and when watching the video I immediately noticed it was my old hood.

Second, confused that I haven't heard about it so I casually looked at some news websites. Nothing. Checked another, nothing. So then got a bit more serious and did a dedicated site search (via google) and of course its fucked. One conservative outlet (Skynews) has the story, while 3 left leaning ones (theage, 9news, and news7) all do not have shit on their websites about it. Fucking media makes me ragey. You enable dumb shit and conspiracies with childish censorship like this.

Third, at the end of the vid the guy says its on Dan Andrews. Sure, I hate DAndrews as well (state governor, big government douchebag with working legs) but I think the guy lighting himself on fire should bear the bulk on the responsibility for lighting himself on fire.

This fucking timeline

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-16212447

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, trauma babe said:

Most people don't spend their last days as a piece of scorched and rotting hamburger.

You're not gonna write that in his chart, are you?  

One time I caught my thumb on fire.  I instinctively reached into my pre-heating oven to grab a piece of foil that had some grease on it, and the grease had ignited.  Before I knew what had happened, I was staring at my thumb that was flaming like a large cannon fuse.  It was just grease burning, not my actual skin, but it left a clear 2nd degree blister that hurt like hell for days.

2nd degree.  Not 3rd degree.  One square inch.  

I cannot begin to imagine the pain one might feel from more severe burns, and the subsequent treatment, much of which is unsuccessful, given the nominal expectation of death being X% of 3rd degree burns.  So, you're 70% likely to die and you get to spend your last remaining hours having 70% of your body painfully and uselessly debrided on the off chance you might survive and become a crippled shadow of your former self.

No thanks.  GIve me the morphine OD and let me go.

8 hours ago, trauma babe said:

The surgeons basically grate burnt cheese off of your body over and over and over again until you either ask for comfort care or die from infection. I can't think of anything worse to watch, short of sexual violence, than a person surviving a major burn. Anything more than 10% BSA is an instant ICU admission, and unless you're in a burn center, the doctors are probably learning how to care for major burns while caring for you. The standards and best practices are constantly changing.

We had five self-immolations and countless accidental burns last year, and they played a more than minor role in my departure from the bedside. I would rather crisis nurse for COVID than take burns again. I still have nightmares. 

I've posted at length about this before on here, but my mom and uncle managed to set themselves on fire as toddlers in a backyard barbecue accident. Mama spent about a month in a burns ward at age two or three on a constant morphine drip. As she aged her scars faded but to her they looked as fresh as the day they formed -- she thought she looked like a monster. (The burns were mainly on her arms and legs -- her face was untouched.) She came of age in the '60s and was a total wild child, and at some point the brother of a male friend of hers -- my eventual godfather -- mailed over a little bag of heroin from Nam. For my godfather, it was fun. For mama, it was a severe relapse into an addiction she wasn't aware was hard-wired into her by all that time in the burns ward. Heroin and codeine and methadone would end up destroying her life and leaving all four of her kids traumatized -- at one point or another, she abandoned me, and then her second set of three kids with my stepfather, in favor of painkillers.

My uncle is sober but a miserable bastard who never married nor even brought a girlfriend home, ever. He's financially successful, but a bitter, angry man, a real-life Scrooge.

Burns will fuck you up.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, staboner said:

This fucking timeline

I got a confuse. Left websites are "censoring" (themselves?) by not reporting on a guy cooking himself over vax mandates? And this makes them responsible for conspiracies...?

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

One time I caught my thumb on fire.  I instinctively reached into my pre-heating oven to grab a piece of foil that had some grease on it, and the grease had ignited.  Before I knew what had happened, I was staring at my thumb that was flaming like a large cannon fuse.  It was just grease burning, not my actual skin, but it left a clear 2nd degree blister that hurt like hell for days.

2nd degree.  Not 3rd degree.  One square inch.  

I cannot begin to imagine the pain one might feel from more severe burns, and the subsequent treatment, much of which is unsuccessful, given the nominal expectation of death being X% of 3rd degree burns.  So, you're 70% likely to die and you get to spend your last remaining hours having 70% of your body painfully and uselessly debrided on the off chance you might survive and become a crippled shadow of your former self.

No thanks.  GIve me the morphine OD and let me go.

Not to mention that if you happen to survive you're gonna be disfigured beyond all recognition and gawked at and ostracized. No thanks. Put a fork in me, I'm done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Co-worker of mine is super Catholic. He thinks everything the Pope says is the word of God. Commended the Pope for tackling pedophilia and modernizing the church. But when Pope Francis said to get vaccinated, the Pope obviously became a Jewish agent pushing for a new world order starting with vaccination as a means of control. WTF?!? 

The irony is that all of his conspiracy talk started after he went to Italy to see the Pope speak in person at The Vatican. He got introduced to Facebook and social media when he was sharing the vacation Pope pics and got caught up in all the bullshit. 

On 1/3/2022 at 6:36 PM, Gil Bang said:

Deputy District Attorney and GOP activist Kelly Ernby wasn’t vaccinated when she died early this week after contracting COVID-19, according to comments her husband has posted on social media.

Despite the news, Republicans leaders who counted 46-year-old Ernby as a friend and who agreed with her opposition of vaccine mandates said Tuesday that their positions haven’t changed.

“I intend to continue, if invited, speaking out against the mandates, and also saying that my choice is to get vaccinated and I believe that should be the choice most people make, absent a genuine health concern or absent a religious objection,” said Orange County Third District Supervisor Don Wagner, who spoke with Ernby at an anti-mandate rally in Irvine on Dec. 4.

As to whether lending his voice to such events might discourage someone on the fence from getting a vaccine — or if his position poses a threat to public health — Wagner said most people know the stakes and have already made their choice.

When news of Ernby’s death broke Monday, her vaccination status wasn’t clear. Friends and colleagues contacted by the Register only knew that the Huntington Beach resident opposed vaccine mandates even before COVID-19 arrived, campaigning against such laws as far back as 2019. And Ernby’s family still hasn’t been reached for comment.

Her husband Axel Mattias Ernby shared her vaccination status on Facebook in response to false claims about Ernby, whose death has triggered feedback from people around the world on both sides of the political aisle seeking a poster child for their beliefs.

Related: Kelly Ernby, deputy DA and former Assembly candidate, has died of COVID-19 complications

Many of the comments lament the fact that Kelly Ernby died at 46 from a disease that’s rarely fatal for healthy people who are vaccinated and boosted. Some dug up a previous tweet in which Ernby compared vaccine mandates to rules imposed by Nazi Germany. Some commenters went further, sharing Darwin signs and saying they’ve run out of sympathy for the unvaccinated — particularly those who publicly sow distrust in vaccines — as the U.S. death toll from COVID-19 soars above 826,000 people.

But some GOP activists, such as former Assembly candidate Jon Paul White, shared false information that Ernby had been vaccinated and even suggested that the vaccine itself caused her death. Such comments drew a response from Axel Mattias Ernby, who asked one such commenter to “stop spreading lies.”

“She was NOT vaccinated. That was the problem,” he posted Monday evening, 12 days before what would have been the couple’s seventh anniversary.

Another commenter who said she was Ernby’s sister posted that most members of their family had been vaccinated and that one of the brothers was going to get his shot this weekend. She asked that people let the family mourn in peace.

Wagner said it’s frustrating to see comments on social media using his friend’s death to score political points, whether claiming Ernby died after receiving a vaccine or suggesting she deserved that outcome because she wouldn’t get one.

While he and his family are vaccinated and he doesn’t oppose vaccines, Wagner said he and Ernby shared the view that “at the end of the day, it is the choice of the individual to get vaccinated.”

He said knowing someone personally who apparently opted out of vaccination, became infected with COVID-19, and then died, doesn’t change his position on government-imposed vaccine requirements. He added that nearly 70% of OC residents are fully vaccinated, and the government “browbeating” people into a decision will just further polarize them.

On Tuesday, 5,930 positive COVID cases were reported in Orange County.

Amy Phan West — who also spoke with Ernby and Wagner at the Dec. 4 rally in Irvine and is running for Congress against Rep. Katie Porter — didn’t respond to questions about whether Ernby’s death might influence her stance on such issues going forward or if she’s personally vaccinated.

“Kelly Ernby was a friend of mine and she will be dearly missed,” West said. “Now is the time to come together in mourning and celebrate her life. I will not turn this into a partisan issue.”

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

it's just sad.

There it is. Beautifully described.

What the fuck happened in this country? So many good people have been changed since 1980.

The hate engine. It's attractive hum was provided by Ronny, Rush, and then televised via FOX News. All aboard! 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There it is. Beautifully described.

What the fuck happened in this country? So many good people have been changed since 1980.

The hate engine. It's attractive hum was provided by Ronny, Rush, and then televised via FOX News. All aboard! 

Southern California, and Orange County in particular, is basically the birthplace of Republican nihilism masquerading as so called conservatism so it’s not so much that good people have changed, it’s just the mask coming off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As many have said, it seems social media allowed the crazy to breed more crazy.  Crazy by itself in rural America was isolated to pockets.  Then they got online.  And instead of using the internet to learn they used it to reinforce.  And the addictive qualities of social media causes them to want likes.  I'm not immune.  I enjoy it when someone 'likes' one of my posts here.  It is a form of validation.   I make sure to 'validate' others.   But while we have our crazies here, I don't view it as intense and full of stupid as the twitterverse an facebook.   

Lately I have noticed that the hermancainawards and others tend to also have a lot of religious fundamentalism in their memes.  Lots of 'prayer warrior' requests.  I don't mean to offend the religious, but I do think quite often the belief in God holds us all back.  I know there are very intelligent Christians posting here who I often agree with outside of the topic of  religion.  It seems though that the Venn diagram of vocal anti-vaxxer and whacked evangelicals overlaps pretty often.  I have a sister who belongs in that diagram.  The entire family thinks she got Covid a while back, but of course she wouldn't test.   Roulette wheel seems to have worked out in her favor.  This time.  But the toxicity of evangelicals and social media honestly to me can't be overstated.

I don't know what you do about it, but I know this problem doesn't go away, even if we manage as a race to overcome Covid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Have inlaws who are pro-heartwormer medicine and loading up on other vitamins but dont believe in vaccine. Thier daughter married a physician who has caught covid 2 times now. They go to family events, and other outings no mask or anything. I can deal with not wearing a mask but as they said take all these medications to hide if/when ya get covid makes me slightly furious

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

They go to family events, and other outings no mask or anything. I can deal with not wearing a mask but as they said take all these medications to hide if/when ya get covid makes me slightly furious

Guilt/scare them with pics of Lil-shep and ask them why on earthy they would want to derail a future hall of famer's career. 

• Like 1