Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

Calling it now, we'll win out.  All of the remaining teams we'll face are terrible to mediocre.  No team can be this snakebit for four games in a row.  By the end of the year, our guys will have some confidence and win the bowl game against a top 25-ish team for 9-4. With the perspective of hindsight, this 3-game skid will be disregarded as growing pains while Sark installs his culture.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 3

Calling it now, we'll win out.  All of the remaining teams we'll face are terrible to mediocre.  No team can be this snakebit for four games in a row.  By the end of the year, our guys will have some confidence and win the bowl game against a top 25-ish team for 9-4. With the perspective of hindsight, this 3-game skid will be disregarded as growing pains while Sark installs his culture.

User name checks out?

26 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

Bwhahahahaah. Jajajajjaajajajaajajajajajajja

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

on the fake punt.  It is just mind numbingly stupid.  your punter is not going to run for 11 yards on 4th down.   there should be NO option to run there.  you either pass it or punt the ball.

we had one TO so you don't have an option to call a TO if the look is bad.  you also tell the punter he can just let the time run out if he wants.  you risked the whole game on a fake punt because you didn't trust your DC.

he's a fucking idiot.

so he should have trusted his DC?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

This.  Sark has the least sense of urgency of any coach I have ever seen.  No matter what is happening, the plays don’t change, the players don’t change, and the team’s attitude doesn’t change.  This dude was meant to be an OC who spends his time tinkering with route combinations on the chalkboard. 

He’s taking the laid-back California chill thing way too far.  It’s like quaaludes personified in a football coach.   I don’t need him to yell and scream on the sideline, but you’ve got to at least try to do something instead of setttling in and playing the fiddle while Rome burns.

I have become so delusional about Texas football, I’m telling myself that this is all part of Sark’s plan. Sark knows when to fold em because we are dogshit.

He’s holding back on 2nd half adjustments because he doesn’t want his plans to be revealed on tape with execution by shitty players which shows all the vulnerabilities of his schemes. 

Once he recruits all of his own guys, he can finally execute the plays he’s dreamed about on both sides of the ball with great success. And monkeys might also fly out of my butt.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

So many contradictory points in your post. This isn’t on coaching. This is on subpar players. Across the board. Only Bijan and Worthy (who wouldn’t be starting or in 2-deep at a good program) are the lone exceptions. Everyone else is very average. We lose because our players are average - not coaching. This isn’t rocket science, you’re right. You just have terrible points. 

Burnt Ends!  I’m sure they would be Kelce with better coaching. Idiot. 

I generally agree, but there is some suspect coaching going on, especially on defense, but offense isn't exempt.  Maybe some of the suspect coaching is within the standard deviation of decent coaching and is just magnified by the overall shit show.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

This.  Sark has the least sense of urgency of any coach I have ever seen.  No matter what is happening, the plays don’t change, the players don’t change, and the team’s attitude doesn’t change.  This dude was meant to be an OC who spends his time tinkering with route combinations on the chalkboard. 

He’s taking the laid-back California chill thing way too far.  It’s like quaaludes personified in a football coach.   I don’t need him to yell and scream on the sideline, but you’ve got to at least try to do something instead of setttling in and playing the fiddle while Rome burns.

It just occurred to me that some of this may be the product of his recovery.

Alkies spend most of their alky life struggling and striving to control what they can't.  Part of getting sober and staying that way is ending that struggle.  It doesn't mean you just give up on everything, but you try to control what you can actually control, and leave the rest be.  It can be really difficult to "find the line" between being too passive and being just right, and the condition to be avoided of being a control freak.

If the players are not going to execute or give effort, or just be JAGs, Sark may be letting that go.  He could probably "control" the usual things at Alabama and let player effort and execution take care of itself.  That's probably a lot harder to do here.

The crazed screaming and apoplexy that some coaches exhibit when their players fuck up is not something an alcoholic can generally live with.

• Like 1

Well Sark's first season is officially worse than the season that got Herman fired and some star players who looked good last year look terrible this year. Josh Moore in particular.

I know its just year one, but I think Tom Herman was our Frank Solich and Sark will be our Bill Callahan.

At some point Texas is going to have to realize that Saban and Meyer aren’t waking through that door and the next Saban/Meyer might not even be out there. And commit to a full rebuild. Five years, minimum, let the coach be in control and shielded from pressure barring for cause shit or complete 2-3 win incompetence. 

If it’s really believed that late-stage Mack, Strong, and Herman were that hapless and shitty, then that’s what it’s going to take. And maybe even a willingness to accept that the guy who does the rebuild might not be the “guy”,  but the guy before the guy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ultimate Failure said:

Uhhhh, WE are terrible to mediocre....if that.  I'll be amazed if we don't pull and Charlie Strong and finish 5-7. 

Too early to call it one way or another for Sark but, fuck, early returns are total shit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

At some point Texas is going to have to realize that Saban and Meyer aren’t waking through that door and the next Saban/Meyer might not even be out there. And commit to a full rebuild. Five years, minimum, let the coach be in control and shielded from pressure barring for cause shit or complete 2-3 win incompetence. 

If it’s really believed that late-stage Mack, Strong, and Herman were that hapless and shitty, then that’s what it’s going to take. And maybe even a willingness to accept that the guy who does the rebuild might not be the “guy”,  but the guy before the guy.

You realize we might only win 4-5 wins this year, right?  I’d call that incompetence.  

One Yard. 

Edited by ONE YARD
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ultimate Failure said:

The team ism’t snake bit.  It’s a collection of athletically gifted mental midgets who are far less than the sum of their parts as a team and capable of losing to anyone.  That’s on coaching.

Edited by Goredho

It's both.  The defense is made worse by bad schemes, coaching and personnel decisions.  On offense, the biggest issue is talent.  We don't have enough good players to execute.  The plays are there, but the OL get's blown up, Casey misses a throw or a wide receiver doesn't catch the ball.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Steve Sarkisian Postgame Press Conference at Baylor [Oct. 30, 2021]

acR0c8_o_FwTgor5wgTveLIqI5sM-FPYe7z_tMdJ

edit:  I love his fake punt response.  “Hindsight’s 20/20.  If I had a chance to do it over again, I’d probably have checked out of it...”

CDC is probably saying the same thing this morning, lol.

Edited by Goredho

8 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

And for the love of God stop saying 7 win Sark. That shit is so cringy and stupid. His last 2 full seasons he won 8 & 9 games. He won 7 games year two at a winless program. Using that as a knock on him is just idiotic imho

Its 7 win Steve and he got that name because he went 7-6 3 years in a row at UW.  maybe we should go with 7.5 Win Steve?

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

this is where i'm at

we're not winning any time soon

sark is mackovic

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m putting my joy in Roadrunners football. Don’t let me down Traylor. Let’s go UTSA! 

Are you getting the "Meep Meep" tattoo?  

Listening to SA radio that's what all the RoadRunner bandwagonners are into right now.

For serious.  Couldn't make that shit up if I tried.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

And for the love of God stop saying 7 win Sark. That shit is so cringy and stupid. His last 2 full seasons he won 8 & 9 games. He won 7 games year two at a winless program. Using that as a knock on him is just idiotic imho

Maybe try looking up how many times he’s gone 7-5 in the regular season and then report back. 

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

You can't attribute our failures to any one thing. It's not just coaching. It's not just players. It's not just the institution. It's not the fans. Etc. 

1) Our athletic department/football program clearly prioritizes making money over winning football games. Not having a "bag game" in place and our fucking dipshittery on NIL makes it nearly impossible to land super-elite recruits that we need to compete at the highest level. Then you've got Plonsky mucking everything up. I think she actually likes that the football team sucks.

2) So yeah. We don't have the guys to compete with Alabama, Georgia, and at this point, unfortunately, even A&M. Think about how fucking horrible this team would be without Bijan, Worthy and even Overshown. How awful would we be? Those dudes were all five-stars (by at least one ranking). You need super-elite guys who change the game in some way. We have three of them. 

3) And then we have super-elite guys that we fail to develop. What the fuck is going on with Alfred Collins? That dude should be fucking shit up. But he's a JAG. And while we don't have the guys to compete with Alabama, we sure as shit have better talent the Baylor, Arkansas, and Oklahoma State. On the whole, our players had more raw talent coming out of high school than the guys at BU, AK, and Ok St. We don't maximize the talent we have on our roster. We haven't developed players for 12 years. Across four coaching staffs. That's fucking embarrassing. To be honest, I have no idea why an elite recruit would come here when you could go to OU. Four fucking staffs that have been abject failures in player development. It's fucking baffling. 

4) Scheme and personnel. I just don't understand how these coaches keep playing against our strengths. Playing Jett Bush and Luke Brokermeyer is inexcusable. Expecting three down lineman to get a rush while playing 15 yards off the ball is inexcusable. Continuing to pound the ball between the tackles when our OL can't block is inexcusable. I just can't understand it.

There's just so much working against this program at this point. We can't land elite guys. We can't develop the guys we have. And our coaching sucks. At least this frees up my Saturdays in the fall to do whatever I want instead of planning my weekends around watching the games. It's just not worth it. I can't get emotionally invested in a team that consistently disappoints. 

Yep.

B1AAE671-8BC2-44D5-B67C-12697EE98E26.gif

36 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We just need to get lucky with a coach. That's really all there is to it.

Luck’s part of it, but not all of it. What we need to do is figure out who Baylor is targeting after Aranda leaves for a better gig and hire them first, they know how to pick coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Coleman and PK aren’t gone at the end of the season then he’s done. 

LOL! As often as you call people stupid and dumbass this take is hilarious. Let’s fire the DC who is known around college football as a top 5 guy. Yeah I bet the 4 guys ahead of him will be beating the door down to get here so they can get fired too after one year. I’m sure the next DC diamond in the rough can’t wait to sit his ass down on the hot seat just to fuck around and find out. We have to stop fucking firing coaches at some point and let them have some time. This revolving door of coordinators and position coaches has turned Texas into a fucking clown show. Drop the “we’re Texas” bullshit and be thankful we still make a lot of money as a university. You take the money away and we are Nebraska. Let that sink in. If we fire PK we become the cesspool that Herbstreit claimed we are, and fuck that guy with a sandpaper dildo. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Luck’s part of it, but not all of it. What we need to do is figure out who Baylor is targeting after Aranda leaves for a better gig and hire them first, they know how to pick coaches. 

Bug their offices? Just kidding. I don’t know what good it will do. Apparently, Baylor has a committee that’s not swayed by whatever BMDS they do have.

Not so much at Texas. There have been dozens of articles written about how bad our coaching search process truly is. Dozens. last time the Houston BMDS got their guy Herman. I’ve no doubt based on what we have learned and what little I know that Urban was our main target. He said no. Based on some things that were happening with Herman we couldn’t allow him to stay on one more season (think off the field shit) so we rolled the dice with the MNC OC. I do know a little bit about that. Herman was gone no matter what especially since no Big 12 championship. 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?