Post-Game : We Won. They Lost. ULL is Ass

Hiphopopotamos

31 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

https://cfbnumbers.substack.com/p/college-football-analytics-week-1-7b2

Funny that UL had a higher success rate but the difference in EPA/pass between the teams explains why UL had no shot in this one.  

That rush/EPA for us is god awful, especially against a team that was weak in Run D. We are really going to have to improve there. I’m guessing a lot of the low EPA was due to all the holding penalties. Those are driver killers and hurt EPA a lot. We were fortunate to overcome a lot of them. 

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I knew the line had a tough day but those are bad. Karic needs a shot at that LT spot. Surprised Kerstetter graded that low. 

Yeah, Karic has actually shown to be good in games. We need to have a short leash with Jones if he keeps playing this way. 

Okafor was a strong run blocker but terrible pass blocker as a true freshman. 6 years later, he’s the exact same. I guess that’s what happens when your primary coaches are Warehime and Herb Hand. 

38 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

https://cfbnumbers.substack.com/p/college-football-analytics-week-1-7b2

Funny that UL had a higher success rate but the difference in EPA/pass between the teams explains why UL had no shot in this one.  

I'm trying to remember, but did Levi Lewis even attempt a pass that traveled more than more than 12-15 yards in the air. It was dink and dunk all game.

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That rush/EPA for us is god awful, especially against a team that was weak in Run D. We are really going to have to improve there. I’m guessing a lot of the low EPA was due to all the holding penalties. Those are driver killers and hurt EPA a lot. We were fortunate to overcome a lot of them. 

Yeah, Karic has actually shown to be good in games. We need to have a short leash with Jones if he keeps playing this way. 

Okafor was a strong run blocker but terrible pass blocker as a true freshman. 6 years later, he’s the exact same. I guess that’s what happens when your primary coaches are Warehime and Herb Hand. 

I'd like to propose some shuffling backwards drills with arms out. 

22 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Crossposting from recruiting thread - From IT. Still seems pretty odd that he wouldn't play at either DT or Jack, but whatever..

DL Alfred Collins: There’s been some curiosity over why the talented sophomore hardly played even as the coaches went deep into the depth chart. All we can gather is it was ‘coaches decision’ and Collins isn’t in the dog house. We aren’t hearing of any acrimony between the two parties and we expect him to play much more on Saturday. It’s very likely he was told by the coaches he should have played more and they’ll rework their rotations going forward.

The situation isn’t entirely surprising given recent information. Even when he moved to Jack, we heard Jett Bush was still ahead of him and we even had Bush ahead of him on the depth chart. That isn’t to say it isn’t overall surprising the most genuinely talented defensive lineman on the roster isn’t playing more regardless of the position. It’ll work out. Nothing to worry about at this time. Alfred isn’t an emotional, knee-jerk sort of young man.

I don't know what the deal is with Collins but I hope he plays more this season.  His lack of playing time was the biggest head scratcher for me, assuming there isn't something going on with him that hasn't been released.

Jett was having a tough time holding the edge and was being handled fairly easily by whomever was blocking him.

54 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Fwiw, Howe on 247 posted the game 1 PFF ratings for our OL. I haven't gone back to watch again but a little surprising imo

Christian Jones — 33.6
Denzel Okafor — 70.4
Jake Majors — 61.5
Junior Angilau — 64.5
Derek Kerstetter — 52.9

Dark mode

Christian Jones — 33.6

Denzel Okafor — 70.4

Jake Majors — 61.5

Junior Angilau — 64.5

Derek Kerstetter — 52.9

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Why would someone spend time making up that shit?

Exactly! Every human should instead be spending every waking moment much more productively, like posting 6,800 messages on a message board that has little to no impact on the betterment of society. 

FCB said on the flagship podcast that they intend to use Alfred Collins in a sub package on passing downs where they go with 3 down linemen, but that they stayed in a 4 man front for most of the game because ULL is so run-oriented. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me that he can’t be splitting time with Jacoby Jones, but that’s what FCB was supposedly told. No hint of any friction or drama with the staff. 

15 hours ago, texifornia said:

Trying to downplay Bijan’s receiving stats by saying he padded the stats thanks to blown coverages is such a ridiculous justification for their assertion that both aggy runningbacks  had a better game than Bijan. Very on-brand for aggy logic though.

30 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I don't know what the deal is with Collins but I hope he plays more this season.  His lack of playing time was the biggest head scratcher for me, assuming there isn't something going on with him that hasn't been released.

Jett was having a tough time holding the edge and was being handled fairly easily by whomever was blocking him.

It was very weird. As someone pointed out from the locker room fight song video after the game, he was singing/celebrating as enthusiastically as anyone so he doesn't seem too unhappy with whatever is going on. Who knows.

Broughton got a lot of playing time too. I guess Collins is at Jack now but I would think he would still get time at DT too

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

FCB said on the flagship podcast that they intend to use Alfred Collins in a sub package on passing downs where they go with 3 down linemen, but that they stayed in a 4 man front for most of the game because ULL is so run-oriented. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me that he can’t be splitting time with Jacoby Jones, but that’s what FCB was supposedly told. No hint of any friction or drama with the staff. 

Probably not the best use of his skills. There's more going on that just that. 

21 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Trying to downplay Bijan’s receiving stats by saying he padded the stats thanks to blown coverages is such a ridiculous justification for their assertion that both aggy runningbacks  had a better game than Bijan. Very on-brand for aggy logic though.

Lol at aggy. The slant he caught proves what a stud he is.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Fwiw, Howe on 247 posted the game 1 PFF ratings for our OL. I haven't gone back to watch again but a little surprising imo

Christian Jones — 33.6
Denzel Okafor — 70.4
Jake Majors — 61.5
Junior Angilau — 64.5
Derek Kerstetter — 52.9

go watch again... no surprises. #70 was bad.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Okafor was moving people in the running game. It was his pass protection that is a liability, which has been the case since he stepped on campus. 

I am a little surprised at Jones' grade. He didn't look that bad in real time.

Yes he did.  If I'm the OL Corch, there is a very open competition at LT this week.  Against a good defense, he could have gotten us killed.

17 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

I'm re-watching highlights and still cannot believe we had the correct school colors on our jerseys and, more importantly, our helmets.   No candy ass sparkling, glittery, off- color shit that some idiots thought was okay. 

Just simple burnt orange, in other words the way it's supposed to be and the best helmet in the sport.

It feels weird taking such satisfaction in that, but I'm right there with you. Sark's tie during the walk in showed his commitment to that distinctive Texas Longhorn color.

Okafor was moving people in the running game. It was his pass protection that is a liability, which has been the case since he stepped on campus. 
I am a little surprised at Jones' grade. He didn't look that bad in real time.

Okafor is the only one consistently moving people in the run game and no one’s pass protection was particularly good. One eyed man in the land of the blind and all that.

23 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

What’s goin on here? You hunting somebody else’s property? Or did the dog just cross over while you were getting settled in?

X-fence probably. 

4 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Why did Sir Edmund Hillary climb the Matterhorn?

Why did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor? 

Relax.jpg  

Very deep east tx lineage.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depth Chart and/or Scholarship players that were NOT listed in the Participation Chart for the Louisiana game

https://texassports.com/sports/football/stats/2021/louisiana/boxscore/14136

Did anyone see any of the below play against Louisiana?

OFFENSE that did not play

RB                  

24 Jonathon Brooks  

32 Daniel Young      

TE

18 Jared Wiley - injured?

85 Gunnar Helm       

89 Brayden Liebrock - injured

WR

9   Al'Vonte Woodard    

13 Jaden Alexis        

15 Marcus Washington  

16 Kelvontay Dixon 

21 Troy Omeire - injured     

30 Dajon Harrison    

39 Montrell Estell     

83 Kai Money 

88 Casey Cain

OL                  

67 Tope Imade

69 Andrej Karic        

71 Logan Parr 

72 Tyler Johnson      

73 Isaiah Hookfin     

74 Rafiti Ghirmai     

76 Hayden Conner   

77 Jaylen Garth        

79 Max Merril

DEFENSE that did not play

DB

1   Chris Adimora                       

19 Ishmael Ibraheem

24 Marques Caldwell

27 JD Coffey III       

31 Jamier Johnson    

44 Tyler Owens        

DL

45 Vernon Broughton    

90 Byron Murphy II 

91 Sawyer Goram-Welch     

92 Myron Warren     

95 Alfred Collins            

EDGE

6   Ben Davis  

32 Prince Dorbah     

42 D.J. Harris Jr.            

50 Jordon Thomas    

55 David Abiara       

88 Barryn Sorrell      

LB

13 Marcus Tillman, Jr.   

29 Jaden Hullaby      

35 Terrence Cooks II

37 Morice Blackwell Jr.

40 Ayodele Adeoye  

KICKING that did not play

8   Ryan Bujcevski - injured

49 Isaac Pearson       

45 Bert Auburn         

43 Zach Edwards      

1 minute ago, Speedway said:

Depth Chart and/or Scholarship players that were NOT listed in the Participation Chart for the Louisiana game

RB                  

24 Jonathon Brooks  

32 Daniel Young      

TE

85 Gunnar Helm       

WR

9   Al'Vonte Woodard    

13 Jaden Alexis        

15 Marcus Washington  

16 Kelvontay Dixon 

21 Troy Omeire - injured     

30 Dajon Harrison    

39 Montrell Estell     

83 Kai Money 

88 Casey Cain

OL                  

67 Tope Imade

69 Andrej Karic        

71 Logan Parr 

72 Tyler Johnson      

73 Isaiah Hookfin     

74 Rafiti Ghirmai     

76 Hayden Conner   

77 Jaylen Garth        

79 Max Merril

DB

1   Chris Adimora                       

19 Ishmael Ibraheem

24 Marques Caldwell

27 JD Coffey III       

31 Jamier Johnson    

44 Tyler Owens        

DL

45 Vernon Broughton    

90 Byron Murphy II 

91 Sawyer Goram-Welch     

92 Myron Warren     

95 Alfred Collins            

EDGE

6   Ben Davis  

32 Prince Dorbah     

42 D.J. Harris Jr.            

50 Jordon Thomas    

55 David Abiara       

88 Barryn Sorrell      

LB

13 Marcus Tillman, Jr.   

29 Jaden Hullaby      

35 Terrence Cooks II

37 Morice Blackwell Jr.

40 Ayodele Adeoye  

49 Isaac Pearson       

45 Bert Auburn         

43 Zach Edwards      

That list is way off. Dixon, Washington, Helm, Davis, Connor, Wiley, Woodard, Collins, Murphy, Warren, Goram-Welch, Adimora and Broughton all definitely played. A few others may have as well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 10:45 AM, South Austin said:

I DVR’d the game and need to watch it tonight, because Card didn’t seem as good from the stands as his stat line showed. A few overthrows and he looked like he had happy feet in the pocket. But no turnovers, and overall he had a solid game for his first start as a redshirt freshman, and I don’t think he gave the coaches a reason to re-evaluate the starting QB.

And I’m out of playing shape after missing the 2020 season. I drank more beer yesterday than I have in a long time and am feeling pretty shitty this morning.

It's Tuesday and I still feel like hell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That reads more like a random list of our players. 

It is a list of scholarship and/or Depth Chart players from Texas Sports home page that were NOT listed in the Participation section for the Louisiana game.

Edited by Speedway

3 minutes ago, Speedway said:

It is a list of scholarship and/or Depth Chart players from Texas Sports home page that were NOT listed in the Participation section for the Louisiana game.

Yes and it's very very wrong. So wrong that it reads like a random list of some of our players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We might as well get more athletic and try to pass protect better and run outside zone if we aren’t going to overpower people.   

How Flood responds to what he sees on film from last week is a huge first test for this staff in my eyes. There are so many things here that were clearly obvious to all of us and must have been to him as well. He also has to know that this isn't the best dline we'll be play by a wide margin, so those issues will become complete blockers to operating the offense in some games.

Sark trusts Flood and I think Sark is the best tactical offensive coach we've had since I've been a fan, so I'm inclined to trust him as well. However seeing guys like wickline come to Texas and fail to produce anything like what they've produced elsewhere has just beaten the hope out of me. I need to see our oline coach improve the product on the field either through personnel or development (or preferably both) before I can believe it.

I really hope Flood can work some magic, because with competent line play our offense has the potential to be pretty exciting. Without it, we'll just be too handicapped in what we can reasonably execute to really know how good we could have been.

• Hook 'Em 4

Here we are on a Tuesday after the season opener and we are talking about match ups, line play, technique, nuance, improvement areas, upside, details, and momentum.

Feels pretty damn good because we could be talking about really stupid penalties, a loss that could have been a win, dumb coaching, lack of adjustments, injuries, bare cupboards, unpreparedness, turtles, and next year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I can see the argument, but he’s going to be a worse liability in pass protection than the others (except Jones if we leave him at LT) once we play a defense that attacks more with their front and/or has better talent.  Even a single slide step to cover someone trying to shoot the gap on either shoulder often proves too much.  Lateral movement is a huge issue for Okafor and Jones.  
I suspect our best line against a good defense is something like this:
LT - Karic
LG - pick one of Johnson, Conner, Hookfin or maybe Jones if he switched inside.  I know that’s wishy washy, so if forced to choose I’d go with Johnson since he at least didn’t look like a stiff when he played at the end of last season.
C - Majors
RG - Angilau
RT - Kerstetter
We might as well get more athletic and try to pass protect better and run outside zone if we aren’t going to overpower people.   

I’m not necessarily disagreeing, just noting why he graded the highest.

Rewatching now and the OL is just not very good. Their play improved over the course of the game due to the injury on ULL’s front and the visiting sideline still being in the sun during the second half. This will cost Texas a few games this year.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

How Flood responds to what he sees on film from last week is a huge first test for this staff in my eyes. There are so many things here that were clearly obvious to all of us and must have been to him as well. He also has to know that this isn't the best dline we'll be play by a wide margin, so those issues will become complete blockers to operating the offense in some games.

Sark trusts Flood and I think Sark is the best tactical offensive coach we've had since I've been a fan, so I'm inclined to trust him as well. However seeing guys like wickline come to Texas and fail to produce anything like what they've produced elsewhere has just beaten the hope out of me. I need to see our oline coach improve the product on the field either through personnel or development (or preferably both) before I can believe it.

I really hope Flood can work some magic, because with competent line play our offense has the potential to be pretty exciting. Without it, we'll just be too handicapped in what we can reasonably execute to really know how good we could have been.

Very much agree. Recognizing that Flood has forgotten more about the offensive line than I will ever know, I do have some battered-horn syndrome induced concern that he is trying to fit giant, cube shaped pegs into round holes to fit his preferred scheme and player type. Maybe he believes with enough true game reps Christian Jones will develop into an above-average left tackle, but that isn't the case at this moment.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Speedway said:

RB                  

24 Jonathon Brooks  

32 Daniel Young      

TE

85 Gunnar Helm       

WR

9   Al'Vonte Woodard    

13 Jaden Alexis        

15 Marcus Washington  

16 Kelvontay Dixon 

21 Troy Omeire - injured     

30 Dajon Harrison    

39 Montrell Estell     

83 Kai Money 

88 Casey Cain

OL                  

67 Tope Imade

69 Andrej Karic        

71 Logan Parr 

72 Tyler Johnson      

73 Isaiah Hookfin     

74 Rafiti Ghirmai     

76 Hayden Conner   

77 Jaylen Garth        

79 Max Merril

DB

1   Chris Adimora                       

19 Ishmael Ibraheem

24 Marques Caldwell

27 JD Coffey III       

31 Jamier Johnson    

44 Tyler Owens        

DL

45 Vernon Broughton    

90 Byron Murphy II 

91 Sawyer Goram-Welch     

92 Myron Warren     

95 Alfred Collins            

EDGE

6   Ben Davis  

32 Prince Dorbah     

42 D.J. Harris Jr.            

50 Jordon Thomas    

55 David Abiara       

88 Barryn Sorrell      

LB

13 Marcus Tillman, Jr.   

29 Jaden Hullaby      

35 Terrence Cooks II

37 Morice Blackwell Jr.

40 Ayodele Adeoye  

49 Isaac Pearson       

45 Bert Auburn         

43 Zach Edwards      

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

That list is way off. Dixon, Washington, Helm, Davis, Connor, Wiley, Woodard, Collins, Murphy, Warren, Goram-Welch, Adimora and Broughton all definitely played. A few others may have as well.

UT’s “participation chart” lists all players who did not record a stat, so it’s not a participation chart at all and it’s completely useless. 

I can see the argument, but he’s going to be a worse liability in pass protection than the others (except Jones if we leave him at LT) once we play a defense that attacks more with their front and/or has better talent.  Even a single slide step to cover someone trying to shoot the gap on either shoulder often proves too much.  Lateral movement is a huge issue for Okafor and Jones.  
I suspect our best line against a good defense is something like this:
LT - Karic
LG - pick one of Johnson, Conner, Hookfin or maybe Jones if he switched inside.  I know that’s wishy washy, so if forced to choose I’d go with Johnson since he at least didn’t look like a stiff when he played at the end of last season.
C - Majors
RG - Angilau
RT - Kerstetter

I know next to nothing about oline play except when I see them get beat or pancake some fools. I have noticed Okafor and Jones get beat badly over the past few seasons. I dont see Okafor getting much better and thought he should have at least been on the right side between 2 consistent players. Okafor/Jones flat footed on the left side seems unsound.

In the Big12, we got some light fronts and more than a few teams that stunt and send 210 lbers to pass rush. You can’t have them running free at your QB. I’m guessing Sark and Flood will mitigate by formation and making ends hesitate. But your guys have to at least slow them down.

8 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Here we are on a Tuesday after the season opener and we are talking about match ups, line play, technique, nuance, improvement areas, upside, details, and momentum.

Feels pretty damn good because we could be talking about really stupid penalties, a loss that could have been a win, dumb coaching, lack of adjustments, injuries, bare cupboards, unpreparedness, turtles, and next year. 

are we not entertained?

both lines did not look *great* on saturday, but the offensive efficiency and the skill position excellence makes me think that maybe just maybe we were actually matched up against extremely good lines on the other side.

we'll find out on saturday......

right now i'm leaning towards "yes the lines need work.... but the reason they didn't shine was not entirely their talent or coaching, it might have actually had something to do with the opposition."