Gabby Petito case - Dude comes back from couple's cross-country road trip; she's missing, he's silent

LonghornSean

Just now, NorthLoop said:

My gut says he's still alive. I think if he had offed himself, he wouldn't bother going to the trouble of doing it somewhere he'd never be found. And if that were the case, his body would've been found by now. 

I think most likely: 

1. he's hiding out somewhere cozy with someone's help. 

2. he found a remote spot somewhere in the wilderness (NOT the places everyone is looking) to camp out and hide. 

Both your two outcomes seem like it would take an immense amount of luck and/or ability and skill to stay hidden for this long. I don't peg this guy as being skillful or that lucky, but I guess stranger things have happened.

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Both your two outcomes seem like it would take an immense amount of luck and/or ability and skill to stay hidden for this long. I don't peg this guy as being skillful or that lucky, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I think scenario #1 doesn't take luck, but it takes someone as equally dumb as him and really loyal (family member?). 

Scenario #2 doesn't mean he's Eric Rudolph, it just means he found a good spot for the time being. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I have not absorbed the case like many, but I did hear he has some pretty legitimate survival skills. I'd take the he's probably somewhere remote that he has some familiarity with from previous trips. There is a lot of wilderness out there if you know what you're doing.

15 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I think scenario #1 doesn't take luck, but it takes someone as equally dumb as him and really loyal (family member?). 

Scenario #2 doesn't mean he's Eric Rudolph, it just means he found a good spot for the time being. 

I don't know man. Regarding point 1, you would think that any remotely available or friendly friend and family member would have been paid a visit and asked more than a couple of questions. Not to mention we all know three people can keep a secret, if two are dead.

Maybe I'm discounting how difficult it is to hunt someone down in the wilderness these days. I just assumed with drones and thermal/heat cameras and knowledge of the habitat, etc. that it would be very unlikely to stay hidden. But maybe I watch too many movies.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m in the no suicide boat. 50/50 on whether he’s alive though. Lot of effort to hide out, but even with good survival skills accidents can still happen. Get bit by something in your sleep that gets infected. Bad water/food that makes you to sick to get back to civilization. Animal attack. Broken leg. All sorts of possibilities for accidental death.

23 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Maybe I'm discounting how difficult it is to hunt someone down in the wilderness these days. I just assumed with drones and thermal/heat cameras and knowledge of the habitat, etc. that it would be very unlikely to stay hidden. But maybe I watch too many movies.

if he's in the wilderness, my guess is that he just picked a spot that nobody is currently considering yet. Staying alive in the wilderness on your own really depends on his level of skill, but this is a pretty good time of year to do it. 

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Is he known to have a vehicle? All I've seen is "he left his parents' house on such-and-such date". In what vehicle? Has it been found?

There was something about a Mustang? I dunno.. you'd have to ask Nicole. 

The guy who claims he saw him the other day said he was driving a new F150. Seems like a stolen new truck would be noticed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Seems like a big stretch that he would be driving around in a "newer" model F150 like the hiker witness said. That's going to take a huge favor from family/friends that I would imagine have all been scrutinized heavily by the authorities at this point. Not to mention all of the associated overnight stops and purchases required to operate a vehicle aimlessly around Great Smokey Mountains NP for weeks. Although this jackass was previously spotted by random witnesses slapping his fiancee around in Utah and possibly burying said fiancee in Wyoming, so who knows.

17 minutes ago, Hate said:

There is no way that he has committed suicide. He may die out in the wilderness this winter, but it will be from exposure rather than suicide.

Why are people so adamant that he didnt commit suicide?

Think about it; you are caught dead to rights. Your options are hiding out and running around before getting caught and sent to prison to die or just walk knee deep into a swamp and shoot yourself and then become swamp food and then oil one day.

What is the end game from hiding out in the wilderness somewhere? I would imagine you would eventually want to make it to a non-extradition country but there is too much media attention for you to hitchhike to Mexico or get to Cuba somehow to then find someone who can provide you with a fake ID to fly to Africa or whatever.

If the media attention didn't go from 0-60 last month I could see it, but now? He's dead IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

He is a coward who gaslit and manipulated a mentally ill young woman...and hit her to maintain dominance over her. He is too cowardly to kill himself. Plus, he likely got help from his family so the goal is his survival. Think about it, if he seemed suicidal, they wouldn't have let him leave. He may die out there but it won't be intentional.

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

if he's in the wilderness, my guess is that he just picked a spot that nobody is currently considering yet. Staying alive in the wilderness on your own really depends on his level of skill, but this is a pretty good time of year to do it. 

There are hundreds of shelters along the Appalachian trail. Didn't he already spend a good amount of time on the trail? Don't know what the end game would be there though. 

To me it’s 70% he’s on the run in the US, likely on the Appalachian Trail.  In which case, he’s likely to be caught in the next 30 days.

If that’s not it, the biggest other possibility is that he fooled everyone and somehow made it out of the country (likely on a boat out of Florida).  In which case it could be a long time before he gets caught.

I consider it very unlikely he killed himself (he’s a coward and that moment passed a long time back).  He might already be dead from exposure but I doubt it because he likely would have been found by now.  I also consider it unlikely that he’s hiding in civilization (with friends/family) because they don’t have any money and his profile is way too high.

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Think about it; you are caught dead to rights. Your options are hiding out and running around before getting caught and sent to prison to die or just walk knee deep into a swamp and shoot yourself and then become swamp food and then oil one day.

What is the end game from hiding out in the wilderness somewhere? I would imagine you would eventually want to make it to a non-extradition country but there is too much media attention for you to hitchhike to Mexico or get to Cuba somehow to then find someone who can provide you with a fake ID to fly to Africa or whatever.

If the media attention didn't go from 0-60 last month I could see it, but now? He's dead IMO.

Yeah but think about our national attention span. I'm guessing the average Joe out there could not pick him out of a lineup especially with some basic modifications. Guy hangs out in the wilderness for 30 days or so and then can move to Canada or Mexico. I'm assuming the family is being tailed but not crazy to think there is a friend or relative not on the top of the radar that could grab him and hide him out. Not worth the time if you get caught but crazier things have happened. They likely had time to get burner phones, etc.

My paralegal just told a pretty convincing story at lunch about how he is responsible for killing the two girls in Utah on 8/13.  I know the police originally said this was totally unrelated. 

She believes Laundrie thought the girl called the cops on him at the diner.  Then stalked and killed them that night while he was separated from Gabby.  And then killed Gabby when it appeared she wasn't going to be able to keep it all together.

Anyone else tracking this story closely with insight into this theory?

3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Like the others have mentioned, it is because he is a coward.  If he was going to kill himself he would have already done it.  The fact that he didn't report he missing tells you that he thought he needed time to formulate a plan to getaway.  He's on the run somewhere and I'm not sure I would want to be the one the crosses his path.  I think that is how he is going to get caught.  Someone is going to stumble into him somehow and he is going to have to kill them too.  The best case scenario is that a group of people come across him in the wilderness so he can't do anything but run and that group can at least tell LEO which direction he ran. 

13 minutes ago, Dendox said:

My paralegal just told a pretty convincing story at lunch about how he is responsible for killing the two girls in Utah on 8/13.  I know the police originally said this was totally unrelated. 

She believes Laundrie thought the girl called the cops on him at the diner.  Then stalked and killed them that night while he was separated from Gabby.  And then killed Gabby when it appeared she wasn't going to be able to keep it all together.

Not tracking very closely, but have a bit of insight:

image.gif.3dd0ac1e6c5973795f2cfcc2d1b05469.gif

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hate said:

Like the others have mentioned, it is because he is a coward.  If he was going to kill himself he would have already done it.  The fact that he didn't report he missing tells you that he thought he needed time to formulate a plan to getaway.  He's on the run somewhere and I'm not sure I would want to be the one the crosses his path.  I think that is how he is going to get caught.  Someone is going to stumble into him somehow and he is going to have to kill them too.  The best case scenario is that a group of people come across him in the wilderness so he can't do anything but run and that group can at least tell LEO which direction he ran. 

The ultimate coward move, it can be argued, is suicide. So if he's a coward you can't rule that out as a viable result.

Further, I maintain Occam's razor says he's dead. He's a bald, loser, poor, quasi-outdoorsy guy with a seemingly average family. He is not well-resourced and his family doesn't have generations of import riding on their ability to stand strong together with a stiff upper lip and hold their water-- I just can't imagine anyone being ride or die for this bald loser guy who probably killed his crazy girlfriend because the consequences to helping him, for when he is caught, far outweigh any benefit to having this guy continue to exist-- especially since his existence will have to be on the lam in Cambodia or something at this point, if it's to be sustainable.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

The best case scenario is that a group of people come across him in the wilderness so he can't do anything but run and that group can at least tell LEO which direction he ran. 

The best case scenario is that he stumbles into a nest of murder hornets after having been savagely castrated by a rabid skunk while bathing in a stagnant giardia-riddled piss pond.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This guy killed his girlfriend who he was apparently somewhat abusing. Buries her.  Drives cross country in her van.  Goes to parents and hangs out for weeks.  Then disappears when questions are raised.

His parents support/help/hide him and currently are lawyered up.   I have to assume the parents would rather have an alive son in jail than a dead one and I imagine if they were worried about his health or mental health they would be out trying to help find him.  Instead they are in their bunker with lawyers.

His actions point to someone trying to get away with it, not kill themselves and the parents are not acting like they are worried about anything but keeping him out of police custody.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Man…I watched a little bit of the fame whore Dr. Phil special today. Her dad/stepmom and mom/stepdad were all on it. They all got a tattoo (one Gabby had) to honor her. All begging him to turn himself in. Saddest part was her stepdad talking about identifying her clothing etc…they all seem very close for a divorced family. All very much loved her. 

Shittiest thing was how many times they called and texted his parents. All of them over and over before she was reported missing. His parents never responded. Even when the father and stepdad texted they were going to call the police. They initially thought both Gabby and Brian were missing. His parents are POS. I don’t care what their son told them. Gabby lived under Their roof. They knew her well. It’s just very very cold their behavior even though it’s their son. They have done more to hurt than help him. And yea, I don’t think he’d commit suicide but if he did it would be in a place where he could be found with a letter/note etc..

The mustang stuff is upthread.

6 hours ago, Dendox said:

That sound ridiculous...oh, wait, she's a paralegal? They aren't a bunch of crazy gossips...carry on.

The Laundries are heartless and probably evil, but they’re smarter than given credit for. They’ve played this almost perfectly since Brian rolled up in the van sans Gabby. They lawyered up immediately, probably blocked Gabby’s family members on every platform, have made no public statements, and refused to speak to the press.

Many thought the library outing was a bizarre move, but after some investigation it’s likely they used public computers to communicate with Brian. Better yet for them, libraries wipe their search history every night. Very tough to get a warrant that quickly for a computer at a public library. I doubt they came up with this on their own. This sounds like something from the mind of a criminal defense attorney. 

Brian could conceivably be communicating with parents and sister with a burner phone and solar charger. 

The general sense I get from listening to the legal watchers is that Brian will have to make a mistake to be found. He stopped making mistakes when he was reunited with his parents. The search could go on for a long time. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I think most people underestimate what it takes to survive in the wild. Yeah, our ancestors lived off the land, but game was plenty in those days. They had a full powder horn and could hunt for food without worry and plant crops at whatever homestead they set up. Even then, the wilderness was small, and they could count on running into other folks fairly regularly. Some of whom would know of them or their family.

If he is out there and still alive, it is somewhere where he can scavenge for food in dumpsters or steal from caches that backpackers have left for upcoming hikes. The chances that he knows enough about primitive weapons or snares and has the ability to actually use that knowledge are pretty slim. Otherwise he would have been posting that stuff all over social media before now.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think most people underestimate what it takes to survive in the wild. Yeah, our ancestors lived off the land, but game was plenty in those days. They had a full powder horn and could hunt for food without worry and plant crops at whatever homestead they set up. Even then, the wilderness was small, and they could count on running into other folks fairly regularly. Some of whom would know of them or their family.

If he is out there and still alive, it is somewhere where he can scavenge for food in dumpsters or steal from caches that backpackers have left for upcoming hikes. The chances that he knows enough about primitive weapons or snares and has the ability to actually use that knowledge are pretty slim. Otherwise he would have been posting that stuff all over social media before now.

what if he's seen every season of Man vs Wild ?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

All he needs is some basic camping gear (which we know he has), a big enough stock of beans and rice, and a fishing pole.  A 5 gallon bucket of rice and a 5 gallon bucket of beans could last him two months.  If he is at a place he could reliably fish, probably add a couple more months.  

Sorry for the thread hijack but given the circumstances of this case and the attention to it, this is a good time to remind everyone about this guy.

Bond company offering $10K reward for missing murder suspect

He murdered a neighbor of mine back in 2015 in a domestic dispute and then fled before being apprehended in Mississippi. He was brought back to Texas and booked on murder charges, held in custody for months before making bail and ordered to wear an ankle monitor. His lawyer then successfully convinced Travis County judge Tamara Needles to allow him to remove the ankle monitor because his client had abided by all the terms of his pre-trial release and had appeared at all of his court dates despite the fact he'd already proved himself to be a flight risk (and a violent offender *allegedly*). On the day of jury selection for his trial, he failed to appear in court and hasn't been seen since. 

This motherfucker has been on the run since 2017.

• Rage+1 3

Sorry for the thread hijack but given the circumstances of this case and the attention to it, this is a good time to remind everyone about this guy.

wanted-waguespack_36677077_ver1.0.jpg

He murdered a neighbor of mine back in 2015 in a domestic dispute and then fled before being apprehended in Mississippi. He was brought back to Texas and booked on murder charges, held in custody for months before making bail and ordered to wear an ankle monitor. His lawyer then successfully convinced Travis County judge Tamara Needles to allow him to remove the ankle monitor because his client had abided by all the terms of his pre-trial release and had appeared at all of his court dates despite the fact he'd already proved himself to be a flight risk (and a violent offender *allegedly*). On the day of jury selection for his trial, he failed to appear in court and hasn't been seen since. 
This motherfucker has been on the run since 2017.

This shit makes me crazy. Who are these dumb shit elected officials?

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Laundries are heartless and probably evil, but they’re smarter than given credit for. They’ve played this almost perfectly since Brian rolled up in the van sans Gabby. They lawyered up immediately, probably blocked Gabby’s family members on every platform, have made no public statements, and refused to speak to the press.

Many thought the library outing was a bizarre move, but after some investigation it’s likely they used public computers to communicate with Brian. Better yet for them, libraries wipe their search history every night. Very tough to get a warrant that quickly for a computer at a public library. I doubt they came up with this on their own. This sounds like something from the mind of a criminal defense attorney. 

Brian could conceivably be communicating with parents and sister with a burner phone and solar charger. 

The general sense I get from listening to the legal watchers is that Brian will have to make a mistake to be found. He stopped making mistakes when he was reunited with his parents. The search could go on for a long time. 

100%. They likely prepped before he became a suspect with burner phones, solar chargers, etc. And they are smart to go radio silent because they are starving the story of oxygen, so the public will lose interest. I understand it is not easy to survive in the wilderness, but not impossible he has some help.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

A fitness influencer from LA has gone missing and it was on the main page of MSN today.  She's African American and not even on a cross country trip. She does have over 200k followers though. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fitness-influencer-cashawn-cookie-sims-goes-missing-in-los-angeles/ar-AAPcYNR?li=BBnb7Kz

I'm personally ok with "influencers" disappearing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

A fitness influencer from LA has gone missing and it was on the main page of MSN today.  She's African American and not even on a cross country trip. She does have over 200k followers though. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fitness-influencer-cashawn-cookie-sims-goes-missing-in-los-angeles/ar-AAPcYNR?li=BBnb7Kz

Again, this isn’t a white girl/black girl thing, if she had an abusive boyfriend or creepy neighbor that just had a run in with the law and was now on the run people might be more interested.  It’s hard to emphasize with random acts of violence (as horrific as they can be), but put it in a scenario that most people can relate to (like a cross country trip, or a vacation to a Caribbean island) and the media/public will eat it up.  A generic missing person (even an “influencer”) with few details and nothing unique about it will never drive the same attention.  It’s not interesting true crime until we have a suspect and an interesting scenario that people can report and theorize/make shit up.

12 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Again, this isn’t a white girl/black girl thing, if she had an abusive boyfriend or creepy neighbor that just had a run in with the law and was now on the run people might be more interested.  It’s hard to emphasize with random acts of violence (as horrific as they can be), but put it in a scenario that most people can relate to (like a cross country trip, or a vacation to a Caribbean island) and the media/public will eat it up.  A generic missing person (even an “influencer”) with few details and nothing unique about it will never drive the same attention.  It’s not interesting true crime until we have a suspect and an interesting scenario that people can report and theorize/make shit up.

Oh no.  Surly has spoken that we are racists because we don't care about minorities that go missing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

It’s hard to emphasize with random acts of violence (as horrific as they can be), but put it in a scenario that most people can relate to (like a cross country trip, or a vacation to a Caribbean island)

That’s a mighty big cultural bubble you’re living in. I and most of the people I know can’t relate to a cross country trip or a Caribbean vacation. But a random act of violence is the most relatable crime that can happen. Any person any place any time.