Gabby Petito case - Dude comes back from couple's cross-country road trip; she's missing, he's silent

LonghornSean

I dunno, but I mean these people are fucking nuts.  Son is "missing" and/or a definite murderer and they're out there - gardening?  WTF?  I mean, ya gotta have a first-rate Scotts-approved yard, no matter what!  Psychotic?  I mean there is something wrong here... something really really WRONG here [John Winger].

Not too far to the next step, oink oink.

Motel-Hell-6%5B1%5D.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

Edit:  Just read where the old man was out mowing the yard today.  The grief must be unimaginable.  Yeah, I guess to these two, they can't imagine it.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I dunno, but I mean these people are fucking nuts.  Son is "missing" and/or a definite murderer and they're out there - gardening?  WTF?  I mean, ya gotta have a first-rate Scotts-approved yard, no matter what!  Psychotic?  I mean there is something wrong here... something really really WRONG here [John Winger].

Edit:  Just read where the old man was out mowing the yard today.  The grief must be unimaginable.  Yeah, I guess to these two, they can't imagine it.

Not sure if you have grown children but eventually, you have to emotionally disconnect just a tad. At least, I do. If I let myself dwell on some of the stupid decisions my kids make that I cannot control, I'll have an ulcer or heart attack in no time. I had a panic attack once, no desire to go down that road again. 

And no, that doesn't mean I'm down to cover up murders with my kids but we don't know what kind of an asshole this guy has been to his folks over the years, or what kind of bullshit he's put his parents through. Maybe they've quietly reached their breaking point and gardening is what's keeping them sane. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Another weird thing about that video - She's supposed to be moving a little dirt around with a tiny garden spade and he's watching intently like she's pulling up buried treasure. 

Noone else stalks their wife while she's bent over in the garden?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Not sure if you have grown children but eventually, you have to emotionally disconnect just a tad. At least, I do. If I let myself dwell on some of the stupid decisions my kids make that I cannot control, I'll have an ulcer or heart attack in no time. I had a panic attack once, no desire to go down that road again. 

And no, that doesn't mean I'm down to cover up murders with my kids but we don't know what kind of an asshole this guy has been to his folks over the years, or what kind of bullshit he's put his parents through. Maybe they've quietly reached their breaking point and gardening is what's keeping them sane. 

I see your point, and as a matter of fact I do have 2 grown children (22 and 25).  I get what you're saying a bit, but I would be very skeptical to think that the average sane parent wouldn't be almost in a fetal position with worry.  This isn't Junior being late on car payments or being evicted from his apartment, it's murder.

I think most people would also agree that, even when your kids are independent, being 25, 35, or even 45, there is an emotional attachment to them that never leaves.  If they get in trouble, you feel it.  If they have a terrible problem, ditto.  Certainly you're not nearly as emotionally involved with them as when you were responsible for them, but it's there.

This is the perfect example to bring up one of my favorite scenes in moviedom.. it's from Parenthood (which as a whole is okay, not amazing). But this scene is absolutely brilliant - well written and insanely well-acted by Jason Robards especially. He's the father of Steve Martin, and Tom Hulce (the "black sheep" son).  Hulce has been into drugs and gambling, and even as a dealer.  He got into gambling trouble with some loan sharks and owes them $26K - or else.  Hulce asked Robards (who is understandably estranged from him, threw him out years ago, etc.) for the $ and Robards essentially tells Steve (the "good" son) that he's going to pay it.  In this scence, Martin asks why in the world would you, and the response here is absolutely amazing and true - essentially, you never stop being emotionally tied to your kids... their highs or lows are yours - and it never ends.  You can see the frustration he has with that, almost as if he wanted it to be untrue so he could just forget about the kid and sorry bitch, you made your bed... but he can't.  It's worth the 3 minutes if you've never seen it (or don't remember it), esp. after 2:08 god what an acting job.

Anyway, in their case, even if they're not all that attached to him their behavior is weird beyond comprehension IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Modessit said:

His biggest fuck-up - besides killing her and running after he got back - was bringing her van back with him.

Hypothericaly - he should have sent a text to her parents via her phone saying that they got in an argument and "he left, saying he was going home". Then a text to his parents via his phone saying they broke up and he left and he's trying to get home because "she ditched" him and "left (him) stranded". Ask for money to get home or start hitchhiking.

Leave her body somewhere remote (not buried) or down a dropoff and hope animals get to her before she's found or after enough time that DNA or other evidence can't prove you did it. Park the van at a trailhead and leave it there.

When you get home, be all surprised that nobody has heard from her. Have some story about how you argued because she was flirting with some guys at a nearby campsite. Give them a vehicle description (no plates) that you saw once when you were there (grey Ford Explorer or something) so it'll appear on gate cameras.

Then just hope. Your parents respond to her parents talking about the breakup and "no, we haven't heard from her. She's not answering our texts or calls either". Talk to the cops. Avoid arousing much suspicion. Might get away with it.

Hypothetically, of course.

This guy ^^^ could use some investigatin’ I believe.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I see your point, and as a matter of fact I do have 2 grown children (22 and 25).  I get what you're saying a bit, but I would be very skeptical to think that the average sane parent wouldn't be almost in a fetal position with worry.  This isn't Junior being late on car payments or being evicted from his apartment, it's murder.

I agree and I don't want to come across like I'd just cover up my kids' crimes in the same manner that I'd just take out my own garbage. If this was my son, I'd probably be in the hospital right now. You just never know how much anyone can take when it comes to a crisis. Maybe these parents are raging assholes that should be shunned from society. Maybe they're just so worried about their kid that they have to keep busy and working in the yard helps them stay sane. I don't know. 

9 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I agree and I don't want to come across like I'd just cover up my kids' crimes in the same manner that I'd just take out my own garbage. If this was my son, I'd probably be in the hospital right now. You just never know how much anyone can take when it comes to a crisis. Maybe these parents are raging assholes that should be shunned from society. Maybe they're just so worried about their kid that they have to keep busy and working in the yard helps them stay sane. I don't know. 

I think we would both agree that, due to emotional disconnect or not, their behavior is weird at best and criminal at worst.  I mean, who doesn't even return frantic texts by her parents asking them if they have any info (they haven't said one word to the Petitos), or essentially coolly and unemotionally dismissing FBI and other police inquiries (gosh, we don't know either!) rather than beg them for help.  There's just a Boo Radley feeling with them.  No public statements, no obvious signs of grief or distress (at him missing and/or being a murderer, whatever).  Whether we'll really know or not why they're acting so bizarre might not happen, and there's nothing wrong with gardening to ease one's mind, but these people are - at least at this point without a good explanation - strange to say the least.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Wouldn't it be illegal to fly a drone over their property and record them?

Drone's not over the property from the shots posted here. If you really want to get the bunker theory going, according to Google maps the fence and flower beds are new this year.

4343 Wabasso Ave, North Port, FL 34287

image.png.b5e2ad06b853c95750bc200db7f4726a.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4343+Wabasso+Ave,+North+Port,+FL+34287/@27.0684423,-82.2006895,57a,35y,180h,39.61t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88dcacbbce117657:0x6b1b28eb017151db!8m2!3d27.0681013!4d-82.2008665

Says the image above is from 2021

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Cousin in Oklahoma (sux) had a tornado shelter installed in one day after the last big one that ripped through there.  No reason you couldn’t put some sod over the top of it.

Shelters require ventilation, you can’t just drop a box in a hole and completely cover it.  Well, I guess you can, but then it’s less of a shelter and more of a coffin with space for activities.

I would also guess that’s a pretty easy paper trail to run down for the feds. It’s not like you can run down to Walmart and pay cash for a shelter and bring it home in the back of your pickup and have it buried without anyone noticing. You need someone to deliver the shelter. You need heavy equipment to dig a hole. You need to offload that soil somewhere. I don’t see anyone pulling that off without the neighbors remembering and/or there being receipts/memory from companies that did the work. 

4 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Shelters require ventilation, you can’t just drop a box in a hole and completely cover it.  Well, I guess you can, but then it’s less of a shelter and more of a coffin with space for activities.

I would also guess that’s a pretty easy paper trail to run down for the feds. It’s not like you can run down to Walmart and pay cash for a shelter and bring it home in the back of your pickup and have it buried without anyone noticing. You need someone to deliver the shelter. You need heavy equipment to dig a hole. You need to offload that soil somewhere. I don’t see anyone pulling that off without the neighbors remembering and/or there being receipts/memory from companies that did the work. 

That’s true, I was just pointing out that it’s not some implausible thing.  I suspect that the tornado shelter business is a little more robust in OK than it is in FL, so they might have a harder time finding someone to install one in advance of their son murdering his girlfriend.  I believe my cousin’s is a box in a hole, but it’s not designed for long-term living, and I’ve never personally taken a look at it.  It’s in the garage, and is basically like what you would see at an oil change place but with a big steel door on top.  Her father liked to humble brag quite a bit, and I recall being surprised at how quickly he got it done.  It might have been more than a day, but not much more than that.  He liked telling people about the premium he paid to jump to the front of the line.

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That’s true, I was just pointing out that it’s not some implausible thing.  I suspect that the tornado shelter business is a little more robust in OK than it is in FL, so they might have a harder time finding someone to install one in advance of their son murdering his girlfriend.  I believe my cousin’s is a box in a hole, but it’s not designed for long-term living, and I’ve never personally taken a look at it.  It’s in the garage, and is basically like what you would see at an oil change place but with a big steel door on top.  Her father liked to humble brag quite a bit, and I recall being surprised at how quickly he got it done.  It might have been more than a day, but not much more than that.  He liked telling people about the premium he paid to jump to the front of the line.

Yea, I know the type. It still has a vent grill to allow air exchange. I’m sure you could get it done in a day, but the only way that happens is with a professional install with heavy equipment. The alternative is a Shawshank style DIY where the parents got this done on their own to reduce a paper trail and keeping it under the radar of their neighbors, but that’s not happening fast. If this was done in response to Brian coming home and fessing up, I would think the feds would have noticed when they executed their search warrant. 

17 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Maybe they have a really hard ass HOA.

• Haha 1

I've only been following this peripherally, but I'm surprised they haven't caught up with him yet. If he's alive that is. After reading some of this thread, hard to say about the parents' attitude. If I had no idea, I'd be out there looking myself because right or wrong, that is my child (adult, granted) but the points about the relationship are quite valid. Some families have ways that are outside my experience and are hard to fathom. And, it's Florida which adds several degrees of wtf to everything.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Not in Austin it ain’t.

Check your meter. That’s a massive hole, and I don’t see an aging couple doing it with a couple of shovels in any reasonable amount of time. The only realistic way to get it done (assuming it was done in response to Brian’s return for hiding) in a reasonable amount of time is with a backhoe. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, EE2B said:

This one can be purchased at Home Depot for about 9k. Dig a hole and your all set. 88a2535e9119c9d96765576b81734470.jpg

If they actually find him in one of those buried in his parents backyard they should just put a giant rock on the hatch and leave him in it. Being in that thing would be a lot worse than a jail cell.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I've only been following this peripherally, but I'm surprised they haven't caught up with him yet. If he's alive that is. After reading some of this thread, hard to say about the parents' attitude. If I had no idea, I'd be out there looking myself because right or wrong, that is my child (adult, granted) but the points about the relationship are quite valid. Some families have ways that are outside my experience and are hard to fathom. And, it's Florida which adds several degrees of wtf to everything.

Yep. It’s hard for me to understand. The kicker for me honestly is when they decided to report their son missing to police. I don’t know what his parents know or were told by Brian about what happened to Gabby. But they knew at the very least something bad wrong had happened bc her parents were blowing up their phones with calls and texts and on 9/10 her stepdad and dad texted that they were calling the police and reporting her missing. She was reported missing on 9/11 and FBI/cops came to Laundrie house and his parents answered door with written note telling them to contact their attorney. It’s important to note they never laid eyes on or spoke to Brian on this date. 

according to his parents (what they told police when they reported Brian missing—something they’d never do for Gabby) Brian decides to go hiking or whatever in the Carlton Reserve and he had driven the mustang to the location on 9/14. It was parked near the reserve. The mustang gets a ticket from either traffic cops or park people or whatever at some point while it’s out there. Then somehow that mustang is back in front of the Laundrie house in the driveway on 9/15 (we know this bc that reporter Brian Entin who is tweeting a bunch of live shit does his reports outside their damn house and footage shows the mustang back in the driveway on that date.)

do Brian’s parents report him missing on 9/15? No. On 9/16? No. They wait until 9/17 to report him missing. Now his parents’ attorney is saying that his parents were simply mistaken about the exact date Brian went to the Reserve and that he actually left in the Mustang for the Reserve on Monday 9/13 not Tuesday 9/14. Uh huh. Cuz when your son just up and leaves and his fiancé is missing it’s really hard to remember what day your son left when you report him missing to cops that very same week. So hard to remember that far back. 

I think they are not only off/odd as fuck they are also guilty of helping him. If it can be proven they done anything criminal I hope they are prosecuted. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I think we would both agree that, due to emotional disconnect or not, their behavior is weird at best and criminal at worst.  I mean, who doesn't even return frantic texts by her parents asking them if they have any info (they haven't said one word to the Petitos), or essentially coolly and unemotionally dismissing FBI and other police inquiries (gosh, we don't know either!) rather than beg them for help.  There's just a Boo Radley feeling with them.  No public statements, no obvious signs of grief or distress (at him missing and/or being a murderer, whatever).  Whether we'll really know or not why they're acting so bizarre might not happen, and there's nothing wrong with gardening to ease one's mind, but these people are - at least at this point without a good explanation - strange to say the least.
And this is exactly why they have done what they've done. It's only left speculation which is way better than the alternative. Better to be thought strange than heading to jail. Question is, were they smart enough to actually pull it off long term.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Check your meter. That’s a massive hole, and I don’t see an aging couple doing it with a couple of shovels in any reasonable amount of time. The only realistic way to get it done (assuming it was done in response to Brian’s return for hiding) in a reasonable amount of time is with a backhoe. 

It’s not that big of a hole. And why would the parents be digging it? Think Brian was just chillin in the shelter the whole time before they even put it in the ground? No idea what the soil is like there, but if it’s just dirt then a young guy wouldn’t have a problem knocking that out in a day or two.

And FTR, I don’t think he’s living under the flower bed. Just pointing out why a few of the assertions here don’t negate the possibility.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The neighbors (not just randoms protesting in front of the Laundrie home) are now hammering signs into their yard.  I don’t like the family at all but I draw the line at people standing out in front of someone’s home 24/7 and putting shit in their yard. Largely I am sympathetic to most of the neighbors who didn’t ask for nor bring this shit on and now their entire street is flooded with weirdos and press 24/7. Well…most of the neighbors. Some are getting in on the signage…i do think that this could easily get out of control though. Someone could get hurt etc bc of all the emotions this case has brought out in people. And you also have bald guys all over the US being reported to police bc they look like him. Just random guys walking around are having people taking their picture and having their image blasted all over Twitter etc…

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

There is absolutely no way the water table would allow for that unless there was a pump. And that would be absolutely miserable. A jail cell would be better than that. He’s in the woods and will only be found when someone stumbles upon him. He’s probably on the Appalachian Trail.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

They really do believe he is (or his remains are) in that Reserve near his parents’ home. Surely LE/FBI are going on more than just the word of his parents????

I'm sure the authorities ARE going on more than just the word of the parents.  But please, don't call me Shirley.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

It’s not that big of a hole. And why would the parents be digging it? Think Brian was just chillin in the shelter the whole time before they even put it in the ground? No idea what the soil is like there, but if it’s just dirt then a young guy wouldn’t have a problem knocking that out in a day or two.

And FTR, I don’t think he’s living under the flower bed. Just pointing out why a few of the assertions here don’t negate the possibility.

FFS the thing weighs 2500 pounds. Can we stop thinking it’s plausible that they bought a storm shelter and buried it without anyone else involved and no one noticing?  A 5x6x6 hole is significant, probably 8+ cubic yards with margins, and Brian didn’t strike me as someone used to manual labor. His parents are also on the small side. Those two flower beds that are made out of 2x12s aren’t holding that amount of dirt either. There is zero chance that the feds wouldn’t have noticed fresh digging in that yard if it happened in the last few weeks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

The neighbors (not just randoms protesting in front of the Laundrie home) are now hammering signs into their yard.  I don’t like the family at all but I draw the line at people standing out in front of someone’s home 24/7 and putting shit in their yard. Largely I am sympathetic to most of the neighbors who didn’t ask for nor bring this shit on and now their entire street is flooded with weirdos and press 24/7. Well…most of the neighbors. Some are getting in on the signage…i do think that this could easily get out of control though. Someone could get hurt etc bc of all the emotions this case has brought out in people. And you also have bald guys all over the US being reported to police bc they look like him. Just random guys walking around are having people taking their picture and having their image blasted all over Twitter etc…

Go for it.  More signs.

Fuck them parents.  Their son killed her, and they're providing zero help in all this.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

FFS the thing weighs 2500 pounds. Can we stop thinking it’s plausible that they bought a storm shelter and buried it without anyone else involved and no one noticing?  A 5x6x6 hole is significant, probably 8+ cubic yards with margins, and Brian didn’t strike me as someone used to manual labor. His parents are also on the small side. Those two flower beds that are made out of 2x12s aren’t holding that amount of dirt either. There is zero chance that the feds wouldn’t have noticed fresh digging in that yard if it happened in the last few weeks.  

Where I live, your shelter gets recorded at the city so they'll know to come looking for your ass after a tornado wipes out your neighborhood. Maybe that's just an Oklahoma thing but it makes too much sense for it to only happen here. This place ain't exactly on the cutting edge.