Gabby Petito case - Dude comes back from couple's cross-country road trip; she's missing, he's silent

LonghornSean

Have they released details on why the area that was underwater in previous search was no longer under water?  Seems fishy.   Florida gets a lot of rain, and drainage areas fill up fast, but they also go down fast.   Unless they searched that area a few hours after a huge rain storm, I'm not sure why it would have been underwater then but not now.  This isn't like Lake Travis that could drop 50' in a month. 

What’s fishy? Are you suggesting nature was in cahoots with the parents? It was previously underwater, and now it’s not.
  • Haha 1

My guess is he thought he could hide out there until the heat died down or whatever because he had an overinflated sense of his own wilderness survival skills. But after a while he realized that he wasn't really that cut out for it and the hopelessness of his situation and the lack of any social interaction got to him. So he offed himself.

The remains were found only a 45 minute walk from the entrance. If he killed himself, I’d guess it was right away, not after days or weeks of reflection

Wow. So Brian’s parents’ attorney is saying that HE (the attorney) told Brian’s parents not to speak to her parents, the media or authorities. I get advising them not to speak to all three….

But that means they lawyered up around 8/28/21 (well before she was reported missing on 9/11/21) if that’s true because Gabby’s parents were blowing up their phones from at least 8/27/21 all the way through whenever her parents stopped trying to reach out to them. So they had some knowledge from Brian that Gabby wasn’t coming home no matter what he told them. Their lawyer seems like an asshat honestly. The parents are fucking fishy. Maybe not underground secret bunker under the flowerbed fishy but fuck. Like I’ve said before, if they have done anything criminal I hope they are prosecuted.

like the police finally open up the reserve yesterday and let his parents go with them and out of sight of police the dad is zigzagging around and just happens upon the remains and backpack/notebook. Spots it and picks it up. Fucking fishy fishy. They just happen to find the remains two hours into the search yesterday. Okeedokee. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Wow. So Brian’s parents’ attorney is saying that HE (the attorney) told Brian’s parents not to speak to her parents, the media or authorities. I get advising them not to speak to all three….

But that means they lawyered up around 8/28/21 (well before she was reported missing on 9/11/21) if that’s true because Gabby’s parents were blowing up their phones from at least 8/27/21 all the way through whenever her parents stopped trying to reach out to them. So they had some knowledge from Brian that Gabby wasn’t coming home no matter what he told them. Their lawyer seems like an asshat honestly. The parents are fucking fishy. Maybe not underground secret bunker under the flowerbed fishy but fuck. Like I’ve said before, if they have done anything criminal I hope they are prosecuted.

like the police finally open up the reserve yesterday and let his parents go with them and out of sight of police the dad is zigzagging around and just happens upon the remains and backpack/notebook. Spots it and picks it up. Fucking fishy fishy. They just happen to find the remains two hours into the search yesterday. Okeedokee. 

I keep thinking about how big of a piece of shit the parents are but I keep reminding myself they raised a murderer and I shouldn’t expect too much out of them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not talking is the SOP from a lawyer for pretty much anything.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

what would you do if your son came home and told you he killed his GF?  even beginning to explore that hypothetical is gutwrenching.

Listen to him, try to find a plausible way it would be viewed as self-defense or insanity, and try to convince him to turn himself in.  If he refused, I would call the cops (if he got violent I would probably let him kill me but would try to prevent him from hurting others) followed by immediately calling an attorney.  Then I would do everything in my power to ensure he was not given the death penalty.

The absolute worst thing that can happen as a parent would be being responsible (directly or indirectly) for your child’s death.  So I can see why parents would try to help their child escape rather than face murder charges.  But for me, the death penalty is rare/unlikely, and if my child did something that egregious then I wouldn’t be able to help him avoid the consequences even if it meant his death; honestly if my kid ends up getting the death penalty I would probably just kill myself before he was put to death.  I wouldn’t be able to deal with what he had done and what was going to happen to him.

• Rage+1 1

I think the Laundries should have stayed at home, hired an attorney, and waited it out. Once charged with credit card fraud, have the attorney negotiate a time when Brian would go to the police station to be questioned. 

He'd probably be sitting on his parents' couch right now if they did this. 

Why is he running if there isn't a warrant for Petito's death? 

NSIAP, but while looking for him, they've found a bunch of other bodies along the way. Somebody should take note, and start a non-profit or something that just hikes around national parks because there might be something with this Missing 411 Phenomenon.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/20/brian-laundrie-hunt-leads-cops-to-5-bodies-of-missing-persons/

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the Laundries should have stayed at home, hired an attorney, and waited it out. Once charged with credit card fraud, have the attorney negotiate a time when Brian would go to the police station to be questioned. 

He'd probably be sitting on his parents' couch right now if they did this. 

Why is he running if there isn't a warrant for Petito's death

lulz. its certainly a mystery.

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

captain-america-i-understood-that-refere

I think my mistake was thinking because this was Surly, there would be no one here that wouldn't get it or wouldn't be a fan of this movie.  That is why I fail.

/that last one was an Empire Strikes Back reference.  Neg away.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Yeah, I've long suspected that he called them pronto and was in communication with them as he made his way back to FL. I don't know what story he'd told them but it seems that they all went into action as soon as he got back so there had to be some advance planning. I mean, they needed time to dig the flowerbed bunker. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t envy the position his parents were in and are in now.

We will likely never know the sequence of events from their POV from 8/27/21 on. Maybe they tried their hardest to convince him to turn himself in or at least allow the legal process to play out and he refused.

So they take one last camping trip as a family on 9/06-9/08? Maybe they thought that would help. Maybe they were dead set on him not being arrested. I just don’t understand after the trigger was pulled (Gabby was reported missing on 9/11) and their son, according to what they Told LE when they reported him missing, just up and left to go hiking—that they waited to call the police? Surely they had to be concerned he might be suicidal?

Or maybe was he already dead from suicide and they took his body there/or there was a confrontation and they took his body there?

Cuz I don’t get the 3 days to report him missing. I don’t because they knew he was in deep shit when he went on that “hike.” You’d think after he didn’t come back after a few hours or a day they’d be panicked. They went and got the mustang where he had left it parked and they either found him then (he was dead) or they didn’t but they still wait three days to call police. I don’t understand unless they wanted his remains to decompose OR they thought he could stay hidden and didn’t want to give him away until he was well hidden OR they just didn’t think he was suicidal? If he was suicidal and that’s how he died.

That is what I am struggling to understand. I’m not saying there is a roadmap for any of this—horrible tragedy and situation all around but I don’t get the waiting those days to report him missing knowing whatever it was they knew. Just don’t get it. But I’m stubborn like that. 

Edited by Nicole44

Just now, Nicole44 said:

We will likely never know the sequence of events from their POV from 8/27/21 on. Maybe they tried their hardest to convince him to turn himself in or at least allow the legal process to play out and he refused.

So they take one last camping trip as a family on 9/06-9/08? Maybe they thought that would help. Maybe they were dead set on him not being arrested. I just don’t understand after the trigger was pulled (Gabby was reported missing on 9/11) and their son, according to what they Told LE when they reported him missing, just up and left to go hiking—that they waited to call the police? Surely they had to be concerned he might be suicidal?

Or maybe was he already dead from suicide and they took his body there/or there was a confrontation and they took his body there?

Cuz I don’t get the 3 days to report him missing. I don’t because they knew he was in deep shit when he went on that “hike.” You’d think after he didn’t come back after a few hours or a day they’d be panicked. They went and got the mustang where he had left it parked and they either found him then (he was dead) or they didn’t but they still wait three days to call police. I don’t understand unless they wanted his remains to decompose OR they thought he could stay hidden and didn’t want to give him away until he was well hidden OR they just didn’t think he was suicidal? If he was suicidal and that’s how he died.

That is what I am struggling to understand. I’m not saying there is a roadmap for any of this—horrible tragedy and situation all around but I don’t get the waiting those days to report him missing knowing whatever it was they knew. Just don’t get it. But I’m stubborn like that. 

Maybe they found him with the car but chose to let someone else find him, then the water came up while he was out there post suicide and by the time they called popo he was hidden. They knew he was there but had to wait for the water to go down before they could "find" him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Maybe they found him with the car but chose to let someone else find him, then the water came up while he was out there post suicide and by the time they called popo he was hidden. They knew he was there but had to wait for the water to go down before they could "find" him. 

Why would you leave your dead child to rot?  He’s not going to prison if he’s dead.  You mourn the loss and plan a funeral.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Why would you leave your dead child to rot?  He’s not going to prison if he’s dead.  You mourn the loss and plan a funeral.

Maybe it was the lawyers idea. I don't know. Maybe they were in shock and thought that they were somehow still protecting him even though he was deceased. By all appearances though it seems they knew where to find his body. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HornPhD said:

Guessing it’s a “pound me in the ass” prison rather a “white collar resort” one

He’s in for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.  I’m not 100% sure where he actually is, but my knowledge of the Texas prison system begins and ends with Huntsville.  He’s not there.  Somewhere in East Texas I believe.

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

what would you do if your son came home and told you he killed his GF?  even beginning to explore that hypothetical is gutwrenching.

In this hypothetical and assuming it included the excuse it was an accidental/unintentional death, I believe most parents would not go to the police. They will rationalize it that turning in junior will not bring back the dead person. And/or that no good can come of having junior turn himself in.

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He’s in for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.  I’m not 100% sure where he actually is, but my knowledge of the Texas prison system begins and ends with Huntsville.  He’s not there.  Somewhere in East Texas I believe.

My cousin did 8 years out in Cali. Said the rape thing is mostly a myth, but the constant threat of getting jumped and/or murdered kind of weighs on the mind a bit. It’s an awful existence, no surprise Laundrie wanted no part in it. 

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

I think my mistake was thinking because this was Surly, there would be no one here that wouldn't get it or wouldn't be a fan of this movie.  That is why I fail.

/that last one was an Empire Strikes Back reference.  Neg away.

This is the way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, OB3 said:

I've seen a lot of CSI shows, so I'm pretty sure you can't compare dental records if you only found a finger, toe, or hand.  I _think_, and I could be wrong here, that you need an upper or lower jaw.  Pretty hard to fake that death.

Is this the end of the story? Surly the lawyer and/or parents are good for a few more plot twists.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Maybe that was part of his MO?  Kid would say he was going hiking and while you panic he comes back a day or 2 later.  You ground him, rinse and repeat but as an adult he kind of does the same thing and you just get used to it.    

4 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Is this the end of the story? Surly the lawyer and/or parents are good for a few more plot twists.

End of the story?  Never!  Too much ambiguity.  People will be claiming they saw Brian Laundrie on the dry tortugas or in a bar in Cuba for decades to come.  We are talking about Americans here — a people with a long and rich tradition of believing in bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nivek said:

Maybe that was part of his MO?  Kid would say he was going hiking and while you panic he comes back a day or 2 later.  You ground him, rinse and repeat but as an adult he kind of does the same thing and you just get used to it.    

Not disputing that may have been part of his regular mo...but not in this particular instance. They knew or should have known enough to know how bad this was. They lawyered up days before she was reported missing. We don't know what he told them or what they believed or knew...but they knew enough to know she wasn't coming back. That alone would make any parent worried when their adult child leaves the house and doesn't come back home. They pick up his car from where he went hiking but then WAIT two or three days to report him actually missing. That is the part I don't get. Why wait to report him missing? Allegedly he left on 9/13 and the mustang that he took to the Reserve where his remains were found was eventually picked up by mom and dad at the very least on 9/15. They don't report him missing until 9/17? Nope...fucking weird. 

He probably thought initially he could buy some time by using her debit card to drive her van back to his parents' home. Until she was reported missing and it was apparent that he had fewer alternatives.  I think that is why (listening to some of the experts talk on this case) they thought he wouldn't commit suicide. Because he didn't do that immediately after the murder. I doubt from the state of the remains we will truly know how long they have been there (largely because decomposition rate in Florida) but I am curious (horrible crime follower that I am) if his demise was the elements, a predator, murder or suicide. I thought based on the fact that he didn't commit suicide immediately after that he was more about self preservation. 

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The lack of air conditioning would do me in.