WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

Some of the cyclists were injured badly enough they had to be airlifted.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/waller-bicyclists-hit-truck-teen-driver-ironman-16490862.php

Immediately after harassing and running over six cyclists near Houston this past weekend, the teenager behind the wheel of the black truck had one thing on his mind, according to a witness: "Do you think I'm going to jail?"

The answer, as it turned out, was no. 

The 16-year-old driver appeared to have been trying to "roll coal" on a group of eight cyclists training for the Ironman Triathlon, according to fellow cyclist Chase Ferrell. Ferrell was a few paces behind the group when the driver blew thick, black smoke on him as he pedaled along Old Highway 290 on Saturday morning. Moments later, the driver caught up to the larger group up ahead and tried doing the same thing. 

The group of cyclists were enjoying a bright, sunny day before the collision.  

Chase Ferrell

Only, the second time was different. The driver, instead of blowing smoke on the group, accelerated and slammed into six of the eight cyclists, Ferrell and police say. He stopped, got out and surveyed the wreckage before Ferrell caught up to the scene. 

"Yeah, you did something really freaking stupid," Ferrell recalled telling the teen. "You should go to jail."

It is not clear why the teenager was not immediately arrested. Representatives at the Waller County District Attorney's Office did not answer questions about the case but instead referred to a Facebook post saying it is still under investigation by police. 

All that remained after the wreck were mangled bicycles. 

Chase Ferrell

In all, four of the six cyclists who were hit were hospitalized. Two of those had to be airlifted because of the severity of their injuries. Photos shared by Ferrell show a scene from a movie: Heavy damage to the front end of the pickup from its impact with the cyclists. Mangled bicycles strewn about the grassy right of way adjacent to the road. A helicopter ambulance readying for departure. 

Within minutes, Ferrell said, the teen's parents showed up. When the police arrived, he was questioned but ultimately released from the scene without charges. That sparked a onslaught of criticism from the biking community and beyond: 

Authorities are tight-lipped about whether or not the teenager would face any charges after the fact.

"That this driver has yet to face any consequences certainly has many wondering if it's open season on cyclists in Waller County," Joe Cutrufo, BikeHouston's executive director, said.

Two cyclists who were hit by the teenager were airlifted to a Houston hospital. 

Chase Ferrell

Waller County and the Houston region is no stranger to drivers hitting cyclists, sometimes with nefarious intent. In 2017, two cyclists were killed in Waller County when Army veteran Victor Tome intentionally drove into a small group. Tome was eventually convicted of capital murder and sentenced to life in prison without parole. Those deaths contributed to a total of four deadly collisions that have happened since 2011 in Waller County alone, according to Dug Begley at the Houston Chronicle. 

"The irony here is this prevailing attitude in Waller County that bicyclists from Houston are a menace," Cutrufo said. "That's a tough position to defend when you see a 16-year-old running them down with a truck."

Read More

The teenager's identity has not been released and will likely remain confidential since he's a minor. 

Based on my experience with cyclists in Austin obeying precisely 0.0% of traffic laws, I still hate cyclists.
I also believe that kid should have been taken from the scene in cuffs and charged.
Both things can be true.

I’m sorry sir this is the Internet, binary broad-brush thinking only.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Obviously drivers shouldn’t endanger others on the road and at least from the article, the kid deserves some consequences. But cyclist vs. aggressive diesel pickup truck is a conflict between probably the two biggest menaces on the road. Whenever there’s a dangerous situation, there’s a good chance at least one of the two are involved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Some of????  There is nothing douchier than a cyclist on a road where the speed limit is more than 20 MPH.  That said, this "kid" seems to be guilty of assault at the least and possibly attempted manslaughter (I think that is a charge). 

im-not-saying-its-right-but-i-understand

Just remember there are people out there driving BMWs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Kid needs to be held accountable.

Had a conversation with a rancher out near Tarpley. He worries about cyclists, as they share the road with he and his trailers, and blind curves are a common feature of the Hill Country’s farm to market roads. He said if he ever were in a position where he was forced to choose between his equipment, and livestock, and the life of a cyclist, he already knew what he would do.

So, be careful out there. Lives are on the line.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Had a conversation with a rancher out near Tarpley. He worries about cyclists, as they share the road with he and his trailers, and blind curves are a common feature of the Hill Country’s farm to market roads. He said if he ever were in a position where he was forced to choose between his equipment, and livestock, and the life of a cyclist, he already knew what he would do.

I tried explaining this to a friend of mine who truly thinks he is surrounded by a force field of entitlement when he is on his bike. 

• Like 2

Rancher is a pos. Livestock and equipment can be replaced.

Just because he drives a piece of shit truck, and hauls shit doesn’t excuse him from driving safely.

That is one entitled asshole.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

It seems like a daily occurrence that some jackwagon or two dressed in little girls' gymnastics outfits are slowly cruising down Old Spicewood Springs Road during rush hour, which has two lanes and no shoulder.

Yeah? Well at least I'm on foot and never on the paved roadway.

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Rancher is a pos. Livestock and equipment can be replaced.

Just because he drives a piece of shit truck, and hauls shit doesn’t excuse him from driving safely.

That is one entitled asshole.

Fair point. Of course, he’s on the road, too. Not everyone is a Big Joe.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Waits

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

They do.  They also have the same obligation to follow the rules of the road, like stoplights and stop signs.  Which they uniformly -- I'm talking about approaching 100% -- ignore here in Austin.

Hypocrite.  There is not a single motorist who follows the rules of the road. Motorists constantly speed, roll stop signs, fail to yield, run red lights, drink and drive, text and drive, and on and on.   

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

This kid needs to face some serious punishment. I have little patience for this crap. And I'm definitely not in the pro-cyclist camp as I have been annoyed by them both as a driver and a runner. As a group, they have that weird contradictory attitude of "we have the right to the road as much as cars do" and "you little runners better get out of my way on the hike/bike trail, or I'll run your ass over." That does not excuse the kid for intentionally hurting a group of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

This kid needs to face some serious punishment. I have little patience for this crap. And I'm definitely not in the pro-cyclist camp as I have been annoyed by them both as a driver and a runner. As a group, they have that weird contradictory attitude of "we have the right to the road as much as cars do" and "you little runners better get out of my way on the hike/bike trail, or I'll run your ass over." That does not excuse the kid for intentionally hurting a group of them.

Same. Cyclists are morons but this kid deserves a decade or two behind bars.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This thread went exactly as I thought it would.  The only other sure thing is a Dallas vs Houston thread.

1234.  Honestly, I can't think of two groups of people that are more obnoxious than the people who "roll coal" and cyclists.

The "roll coal" crowd all have tiny dicks, and the cyclists dress like they want you to see their dicks.

It's definitely a dick thing with those groups in my non-research-doing opinion.

Although I do find it funnier when I see short/young dudes climbing into big trucks that will rarely see the back filled with anything other than their wive's IKEA shit.  It's like they are trying to emphasize how small they are.  We can't be too far away from pickups that have a door handle at the bottom of the door, and a ladder that automatically extends down when you open the door.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

As a group, they have that weird contradictory attitude of "we have the right to the road as much as cars do" and "you little runners better get out of my way on the hike/bike trail, or I'll run your ass over." That does not excuse the kid for intentionally hurting a group of them.

As a runner and as somebody who walks their kids to school a few times a week, in the past few years, I may or may not have shoulder-checked a cyclist or stepped out in front of a few who had to stop or go off the sidewalk and/or crash, who thought they were doing the Tour de France past groups of little kids on a tightly-packed sidewalk.  Pulling out one's cellphone and pretending to record them while they start to yell at you/get back on their bikes, and asking them "why do you think you can try and scare or knock over little kids on the sidewalk, what's your name, why are you trying to scare 5 year-olds who are just trying to go to school, are you trying to get arrested for injuring a kid?" makes them vacate the scene quickly, lol.

I like to bike with my kids, but it's Austin, so I've taught my kids to always assume that at any given stoplight or stop sign, somebody will blow through it while on their cell phone.  The cyclists who think everybody is watching out for them, it's only a matter of time until they blow through a stop sign or stoplight and encounter a motorist with the same attitude.  It won't be soon enough for many of them, because they are fucking everything up for the rest of us who like to occasionally bike.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Was it one of those 1.5 lane County roads? If so then I've wanted to do the same damn thing to a bunch of bikers

2 lanes each direction, on a saturday morning where theres virtually no traffic.  there is ZERO excuse

as far as rolling coal, anybody engaging in that monumentally stupid practice:

straight-to-jail-crime.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, midtown said:

Hypocrite.  There is not a single motorist who follows the rules of the road. Motorists constantly speed, roll stop signs, fail to yield, run red lights, drink and drive, text and drive, and on and on.   

Gotta tell ya.....while I may roll through a stop sign in my neighborhood from time to time, I generally don't flat-out blow through stop signs and stop lights, especially in a way that  forces cross traffic to yield to the light/sign runner, yet I see it happen with cyclists all the damned time.

I don't care if a cyclist rolls through a stop sign on a neighborhood ride with nobody coming from any direction.  I care a lot when I'm at a downtown intersection, have a green light, and have to jam on my brakes to avoid killing a cyclist who just blew through a sign/light, or if I saw him coming and realized what he was likely to do, I just stay put and let him blow through it because it's what I expect them to do.  There's a reason that motorists all have these complaints: it's because cyclists do that shit habitually and predictably, and create a regular and predictable hazard.

Again, I don't care if a cyclist or a motorist plays around the margins of the traffic laws.  I care a lot when they give them zero regard and cause me to have to take evasive action to avoid a serious incident.  Cyclists are responsible for an out-sized share of those events.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Gotta tell ya.....while I may roll through a stop sign in my neighborhood from time to time, I generally don't flat-out blow through stop signs and stop lights, especially in a way that  forces cross traffic to yield to the light/sign runner, yet I see it happen with cyclists all the damned time.

I don't care if a cyclist rolls through a stop sign on a neighborhood ride with nobody coming from any direction.  I care a lot when I'm at a downtown intersection, have a green light, and have to jam on my brakes to avoid killing a cyclist who just blew through a sign/light, or if I saw him coming and realized what he was likely to do, I just stay put and let him blow through it because it's what I expect them to do.  There's a reason that motorists all have these complaints: it's because cyclists do that shit habitually and predictably, and create a regular and predictable hazard.

I assume your domicile is true to your username and you live in Texas.  If so, what you're seeing downtown isn't a cyclist.  That's just a Mexican person on their commute home.  (Or, in New York, a document/food courier).

(No disrespect, god bless them all)

• Hook 'Em 2