OU sucks game week.

Wulaw Horn

Don't know if you're really a UT alum or not, but not gonna neg anyway.  But just to explain, context matters with that.  Other times and places that could be taken simply as a knock on OU, but given Casey as our QB it comes accross as more a knock on Charles and the Thompson family.
Casey is our QB and he's a Horn through and through.  I bet his dad will also be rooting for UT as much as any of us.  The fact is he could have pushed Casey away from Texas during recruiting and didn't.  He could have tried to convince Casey to transfer the last few years but Casey is stil here.  They're part of the Longhorn family now and in that context it just comes accross more as something that would embaress Casey and the family.  He deserves better given everything he's given to the program.
It may not have been intended that way, but again, in the current context it can be construed as embaressing to a part of the Longhorn family.
He not only didnt push Casey to transfer, it was Charles who pushed him out of the portal and back to the Longhorns...Casey actually enrolled at BlowU. This story will be remembered for a looong time if things go the right way this Saturday.
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That said, I think it comes down to both lines. Texas wins if they can pass protect. OU wins if they can run the ball. 

But what has Sark said about "surviving the surge"? Cotton Bowl rules says that we have to give up at least 10 points to OU within five minutes of the start of the game. Or at least that's what a former Texas coach told us.

For once I would love to come out and put up two touchdowns right at the start and put OU on their heels. 

42 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I've been to too many of these games to make any sort of logic-based prediction. Weird shit happens in the cottonbowl, it always does. 

Indeed.  The most recent WTF game I recall is 2013.  We started the season getting drilled by BYU and promptly firing our defensive coordinator.  We headed into the OU game against the 5-0 Sooners after squeaking out a last-minute one-point win against a shitty Iowa State team.  And this was after getting hammered by OU the past two years by scores of 63-21 and 55-17.  We pretty much knew Fuck You Pay Me was on his way out.  Most of us thought we were going to get murdered in the Cotton Bowl that year.  

We beat OU 36-20 in a game that was never really that close.   

• Hook 'Em 3

Indeed.  The most recent WTF game I recall is 2013.  We started the season getting drilled by BYU and promptly firing our defensive coordinator.  We headed into the OU game against the 5-0 Sooners after squeaking out a last-minute one-point win against a shitty Iowa State team.  And this was after getting hammered by OU the past two years by scores of 63-21 and 55-17.  We pretty much knew Fuck You Pay Me was on his way out.  Most of us thought we were going to get murdered in the Cotton Bowl that year.  
It's cliche to say the winner in this game is the team who wants it more, but given examples like this it holds up. Plenty of years the teams should be much further apart on paper than how the game plays out.

Now I'll wait for someone to make the obvious "who wants it more" joke about your mom.

That was my senior year at UT. Student section went wild on the Chris Whaley INT but the PTSD was such that it took into the Daje Johnson punt return for people to say “holy shit we’re going to win.” Some of those downfield throws Case made were insane - stuff he never did before or since. Will always be one of my favorite games.

2015 was probably more WTF. A 1-4 team that just got beat 50-3 or whatever by TCU and would end up 5-7 goes in and manhandles an undefeated, Baker Mayfield OU team that would end up 11-1 and in the CFP. Barely bothered throwing a pass.
  • Hook 'Em 2

The 2015 game was also a head-scratcher, maybe even more so than 2013.  We're 1-4 under Coach Potato, and the week before OU we get throttled 50-7 in Fort Worth.  OU again was undefeated.  We beat the Bacon Mayfield-led Sooners 24-17. 

And unlike the 2013 team that went on a winning streak after the OU game to finish the season with 8 wins, the 2015 team ended up 5-7, which included the inexcusable shutout at Ames.

• Like 1

The 2015 game was also a head-scratcher, maybe even more so than 2013.  We're 1-4 under Coach Potato, and the week before OU we get throttled 50-7 in Fort Worth.  OU again was undefeated.  We beat the Bacon Mayfield-led Sooners 24-17. 
And unlike the 2013 team that went on a winning streak after the OU game to finish the season with 8 wins, the 2015 team ended up 5-7, which included the inexcusable shutout at Ames.

Beat me to the edit!

33 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I had a sad pizza party in my apartment for whichever of those buttfuckings was 2012.

I kinda consider FUPM Mack Brown 2010-2013 to be a separate coaching tenure from the other Mack Brown of 1998-2009 fame.  

If you too can make that distinction, all three of our last coaches had the head scratcher win over OU.  FUPM in 2013, Strong in 2015, and to a lesser extent-Herman in 2018 when he upset a significantly higher ranked/odds favored Oklahoma team.  John Mackovic also had one in 1992 when he took a 2-2 Longhorn team fresh off a 2-point win over the vaunted Rice Owls but knocked off significantly higher ranked/favored Oklahoma in his first RRS.  He would go on to have a solid record against OU overall, 4-2-1 but that was by far his most "upset" win.  FUPM went 1-3, Strong went 1-2, Herman went 1-4.  

The point of the story is if you want to have longevity at Texas, it helps to not just upset OU every now and again when they're on top and we're the underdog.....but consistently winning against them despite the rankings.  We are 3-9 against them in the last 12 games and the ink on the checks hasn't dried yet to the last 3 asshats, is a reflection of how much that truly stings.  I think Sark knows that and I'm excited for the next chapter. 

Finally---the more I am learning about this "University" of Oklahoma.....I don't think I care for it...at all

And on the flip side, I don't recall any WTF wins by Oklahoma in recent memory.  I'd have to go back to 1995.  We were the eventual conference champions with the likes of Ricky Williams, Shon Mitchell, Mike Adams, Pat Fitzgerald, and James Brown on offense, and Tony Brackens and one of our best defensive backfields on defense.  Yet after going up 21-0, we eke out a tie against a Howard Schnellenberger-coached Sooners who finished 5-5-1.  I was at that game during my senior year.  I've never heard the fairgrounds so collectively subdued after the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And on the flip side, I don't recall any WTF wins by Oklahoma in recent memory.  I'd have to go back to 1995.  We were the eventual conference champions with the likes of Ricky Williams, Shon Mitchell, Mike Adams, Pat Fitzgerald, and James Brown on offense, and Tony Brackens and one of our best defensive backfields on defense.  Yet after going up 21-0, we eke out a tie against a Howard Schnellenberger-coached Sooners who finished 5-5-1.  I was at that game during my senior year.  I've never heard the fairgrounds so collectively subdued after the game.

We were favored in 2000, and OU pulled out a squeaker, 63-14. I'd call that a WTF on their side.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

It was the year 2000 and a young Pat was walking up the steps to foggy and drizzly cotton bowl with his father. At the top of the steps an excited Sooner offered to buy our tickets for $1,000 a piece (they were good tickets). Dad looked at me and asked me what I wanted to do. I said "I want to go to the game." We marched on in and proceeded to get obliterated for three quarters in the most depressing weather I've ever experienced at a Texas OU game. It was at this point when I looked at my father and said, "We should have sold those tickets." 

I've been to every game since (free pass for last year) and don't plan on missing one. It's been far too long since Texas went into this game expecting to win. I believe in Sark and his staff and I believe in the program he his building at Texas. It feels like things are finally headed in the right direction.

Long story short Texas 63 OU 14. Eat my ass you dirtbag hillbillies.

Hook Em

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Good point.  The only one I can think of is 1996, which was my first RRS.  I didn't know the rivalry very well coming to Texas at 20 years old.  But I read up enough on the ride up with magazines and beer to know that this was the cliche game that anybody can win no matter what.  OU had literally not won a single game that season.  Had the shit beat out of them by teams like San Diego State and Kansas (each by three touchdowns+).  I just assumed our team, despite a narrow loss to Notre Dame and ugly loss at Virginia, but with huge wins over OSU (scoring 71 points) and Mizzou, that we'd take care of business.  As y'all remember, overtime had been instated and we lost to OU rather abruptly much to the shock of half of us.  I didn't really realize until the end of the season how bad Oklahoma was, how good we were capable of being, and how sometimes it really is just a head-scratching rivalry.  But to South Austin's point...we're far more often the head scratch victor than Oklahoma, at least in the last 30 years.  

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Just that OU sucks. 

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We were favored in 2000, and OU pulled out a squeaker, 63-14. I'd call that a WTF on their side.

Um, they won the title that year.  Maybe the magnitude of the win is still WTF, but I don't think many people will look at the 2000 game and say, "I still can't believe OU won."

Last year might qualify honestly. I know they were favored in Vegas but they were 0-2 in conference with a RS Freshman QB that got benched in game. That was Texas’s game to lose, despite the TCU fiasco.

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You can't have WTF wins if you're good every year.

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Um, they won the title that year.  Maybe the magnitude of the win is still WTF, but I don't think many people will look at the 2000 game and say, "I still can't believe OU won."

That's true. Two different types of wtf wins.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Last year might qualify honestly. I know they were favored in Vegas but they were 0-2 in conference with a RS Freshman QB that got benched in game. That was Texas’s game to lose, despite the TCU fiasco.

Eh, not really.  When you think about WTF wins over the course of the rivalry, you also have to consider how the teams finished the season, maybe more so than the records going into the game.  Yeah, OU was 0-2 in conference last season before playing Texas, but they won every game after beating us, including their bowl game, so we lost to a pretty good OU team last year. 

Just now, texifornia said:

You can't have WTF wins if you're good every year.

Exactly. I was thinking back on all the games since I was a Freshman in 06, and I think I can recall exactly two (2) times in the last 15 years that I felt totally confident we would win the game (2006 and 2009). 2019 I felt confident we had the better team, but Tom Herman.  

Eh, not really.  When you think about WTF wins over the course of the rivalry, you also have to consider how the teams finished the season, maybe more so than the records going into the game.  Yeah, OU was 0-2 in conference last season before playing Texas, but they won every game after beating us, including their bowl game, so we lost to a pretty good OU team last year. 

Sure. I don’t think it’s on the same stratosphere as 2015 or anything if that’s the bar. But the two teams ended a game a part in the standings and where OU was at the time is relevant given their first year QB vs Texas‘s senior who is now on an NFL roster.

It was a bad loss that contributed significantly to getting Tom Herman fired, which says it is a game Texas expected to win. I guess it’s more accurate to say it stands out to me in that it’s one of the few OU games recently, and probably the first since Colt McCoy where the general thought from the Texas side was that it really should be a win. That even that stands out says a lot.

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Plus, Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It was a bad loss that contributed significantly to getting Tom Herman fired, which says it is a game Texas expected to win. I guess it’s more accurate to say it stands out to me in that it’s one of the few OU games recently, and probably the first since Colt McCoy where the general thought from the Texas side was that it really should be a win. That even that stands out says a lot.

Fair point.  And if Herman beats OU last year, he's 2-2 against the Sooners and most likely holds onto his job.  So, thanks OU?