Good win by Sark today.

lilMAC25

About halfway through the first quarter, I realized that this was a check game to see if we were going to go down the same path that's been the last decade. We weren't going to magically turn it on. You could just feel that things weren't going to click today.

It was overcast, early kick with the bigger game next weekend. Couldn't seem to find a rhythm. Penalties, poor execution, etc. We've had tons of games with that feel over the past several years and made a habit of losing them seemingly without fail.

With Sark and this team, we found a way to win without it really being in question. That's a major step forward. No idea if Sark pans out or how good this team is. But he ain't off to a bad start in Year 1.

Watched his post-game presser and I like what I see. This is a guy who's grounded, is building a self-confident, capable team. He's someone I'm buying into. We're a few games into his tenure. What I see so far, I like.

Great day today. It's hard to win a topsy-turvy game, on the road, with that history. A great experience for our team. See you sonsofbitches in Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lobo has been adamant we won’t be SEC members until 8/1/2023. So we will play in the Shit 12 next year too. 

I'm not adamant, just reporting the crazed ramblings of a white warrior poet in Myanmar.  

Also, just shit I hear from people with loose lips after drinking.  I'd say it's 60/40 we got one more year.  Could chance wildly in a blink of an eye.

There's just more to unpack and pack than we realize.  Plus I have that Manhattan, KS timeshare I'd like to make use of one more time in Fall of 2022 so you know I'm gonna do my best to work the System. 

This was the first win that gives good information about who we are.  TCU may not be what they were in recent years but nobody should have been expecting anything other than a dogfight.  It was and we came out on top.  We still have weaknesses and probably will for a while but I'm happy with where we are.  Anyone expecting us to look like we did against Rice and Tech every week just isn't in tune with the realities of college football.  There's things to work on but today was good.  Another dogfight next week.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Did you watch the game? Texas had a lot of stupid penalties.

this.  we had false start by wiley, and 2 celebration and the blocking into the bench.  I'm not counting the Cook PF on Duggan that was clearly a bad call in which he didn't do anything.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And Sark does appears to be building something, as slow-going as it may feel.  He's playing a long game it seems (pun intended).

If we had a better roster we would be 5-0 and top 5 in the country. 

The roster will get there. The coaching should (hopefully) only improve. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

this.  we had false start by wiley, and 2 celebration and the blocking into the bench.  I'm not counting the Cook PF on Duggan that was clearly a bad call in which he didn't do anything.

The DMO one was worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Glad to see some positivity after this game and glad not have to hear “winning is hard.”

Some games you just don’t have it so you line up, call what works and enforce your will.  Unspectacular but largely they were fundamentally sound and didn’t turn over the ball or shoot themselves in the foot. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Glad Jacoby Jones didn’t get called for dancing an Irish jig after his sack. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Some games you just don’t have it so you line up, call what works and enforce your will.  Unspectacular but largely they were fundamentally sound and didn’t turn over the ball or shoot themselves in the foot. 

This is what OU does every year that they don't have a legit top 5 team. They just line up and grind and do the things they do best until the end of the game, and 9/10 it works out in their favor. We need this mentality here. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

This is what OU does every year that they don't have a legit top 5 team. They just line up and grind and do the things they do best until the end of the game, and 9/10 it works out in their favor. We need this mentality here. 

We just need to beat the fuck out of OU next weekend, then I’ll be fully on the Sark train.  I like the dude and I agree that today was a good win for Sark.  I’m also glad that we don’t have that flappy titty Mensa bubble gum blowing bitch on our sideline anymore and I consider Sark a much better dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

You have one great running back, one good running back, and one possible explosive back. Throw in a mobile QB and there's a lot to get excited about and for Sark to lean on when the passing game isn't working. 

are you being literal? yes, he is mobile. he is not stationary. he does move around a bit. 

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'm not adamant, just reporting the crazed ramblings of a white warrior poet in Myanmar.  

Also, just shit I hear from people with loose lips after drinking.  I'd say it's 60/40 we got one more year.  Could chance wildly in a blink of an eye.

There's just more to unpack and pack than we realize.  Plus I have that Manhattan, KS timeshare I'd like to make use of one more time in Fall of 2022 so you know I'm gonna do my best to work the System. 

what a bunch of bullshit. what the hell do you know about any of it? you’re an errand girl sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill. 

On the one hand, I do understand the reservations some folks on here have about Sark.  It's easy to become jaded after wallowing in mediocrity for over a decade, the way this program has.

On the other hand, Texas did something today it hadn't done since 2013: go into Fort Worth and beat a very motivated opponent who considers us their Super Bowl.  And sprinkle in some extra animus toward us this season due to our decision to bolt for the SEC.  And we did it in spite of the fact that our offense wasn't clicking on all cylinders, except for a superstar performance by Bijan.

Don't forget we are breaking in a new QB this year.  We are also dealing with the aftereffects of the prior coach, who was so shitty, even our own players were actively sabotaging him with recruits.  So of course there are going to be fucking issues on our roster this season.  As the old saying goes, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit."  We have a junior QB who is very good, although probably not spectacular, and a freshman QB who is very green.  We also have some issues with our lines that we are having to scheme around.  If we finish 8-4 this season going into the bowl game, I'll be happy.  If we finish 12-1, give Sark a fucking raise and name a building after him.

Edited by orangebird
  • Hook 'Em 6

11 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Texas hasn't won in Fort Worth since 2013... I'll take the win all day long and enjoy it.

Yep...Wins have been hard to come by for a decade. Any win is a good win.  Get us back to 10+ a season and in the hunt, then we can argue quality of wins and style points.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark's reasoning still bothers me.  The failed try for two and the declined field goal attempt are four points lost that could have put the game out of reach a lot earlier.  Maybe he declined the field goal because he knew he screwed up going for the two earlier.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

Sark's reasoning still bothers me.  The failed try for two and the declined field goal attempt are four points lost that could have put the game out of reach a lot earlier.  Maybe he declined the field goal because he knew he screwed up going for the two earlier.

He gave a pretty coach speak answer to explain going for it on 4th and Goal about trusting his team. Agreed it was "wrong, wrong, wrong" all around and luckily it did not come back to haunt the team because the defense had played solidly deep into the 4th quarter. Sarkisian gets credit for pulling off the win, but if he tries the same shit against OU, Riley will make Texas pay for its stupidity. Don't ever turn down guaranteed points on the road (especially when leading).

• Hook 'Em 2

He gave a pretty coach speak answer to explain going for it on 4th and Goal about trusting his team. Agreed it was "wrong, wrong, wrong" all around and luckily it did not come back to haunt the team because the defense had played solidly deep into the 4th quarter. Sarkisian gets credit for pulling off the win, but if he tries the same shit against OU, Riley will make Texas pay for its stupidity. Don't ever turn down guaranteed points on the road (especially when leading).

Like the decision(maybe not the call. Everyone and their mama knew Bijon was getting it. Naked boot with his wheels, Casey walks in) for all the reasons he gave. Plus to me it was about staying aggressive. Its a mindset and a mentality. Sends a lil message to ur sideline and future opponents too. Dont celebrate on 3rd cause we coming at ur ass all 4 downs if need be!
Now if the fg takes it from a 2 to 3 score game in that spot, yeah throw all that out the window and take the dam pts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

For those disappointed that Texas didn’t beat TCU worse, Patterson spends an incredible amount of time game planning for Texas vs the rest of the teams on the schedule. He knows beating Texas secures his job, and he hates Texas. 

Absolutely. He made it clear this week that he was pissed having to discuss the lil situation after their SMU game cause it was “TEXAS” week. No other program rents mental space in opposition like this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

For those disappointed that Texas didn’t beat TCU worse, Patterson spends an incredible amount of time game planning for Texas vs the rest of the teams on the schedule. He knows beating Texas secures his job, and he hates Texas. 

He hates Texas, but he was hoping to get an interview for the HFC vacancy after Mack Strong was canned IIRC.

I hope Fat Gare loses out for the rest of the season, gets shitcanned, and ends up being a defensive analyst for UNT.

Edited by UDontKnow

I feel like a lot of comments about beating TCU this year lack context.

Patterson knows that beating Texas buys him a ton of good will. Beating us the year we announce the sec move, even moreso.

TCU has not been great so far this year, but Patterson game plans for us like a bowl game. Make no mistake, he is a great defensive coach when he puts that amount of focus on an opponent.

Add to that the players who have been out this season but somehow were ready to come back just for Texas...yeah, they threw everything they had at this game and still came up short. We didn't even play particularly well, and still managed to beat them giving us everything they had.

I think this win is more meaningful than "barely surviving a mediocre tcu team" but time will tell.

This. In the same way I was more weary of this game than a lot of folks on here, I’m more satisfied with the win. TCU may end up 6-6 or whatever but they’ve got the best top to bottom talent on the conference schedule outside of OU and you know Texas got their best shot. To overcome that on the road, when this team was embarrassed on their only previous road outing, shows you something. It was ugly and Texas is certainly going to have to avoid repeating the volume of errors it had today to beat OU and/or qualify for the CCG, but it was an encouraging showing.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Glad Jacoby Jones didn’t get called for dancing an Irish jig after his sack. 

I know many here don’t agree with me, but this is one of a few areas where I’d like to see a culture shift. Besides the personal disdain for the selfish celebrations, these moments often lead to the player not getting lined up properly for the next play. This play in particular, the offense went hurry-up and left him scrambling to get back to the line. I’m not even sure he knew the defensive play call.