Good win by Sark today.

lilMAC25

22 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I know many here don’t agree with me, but this is one of a few areas where I’d like to see a culture shift. Besides the personal disdain for the selfish celebrations, these moments often lead to the player not getting lined up properly for the next play. This play in particular, the offense went hurry-up and left him scrambling to get back to the line. I’m not even sure he knew the defensive play call.

...and why the hell was Overshown looking over at the TCU bench with his back to their offense during TCU's first possession? I mean, WTF was he doing?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

Right? The celebration one was stupid. 

Yes - stupid penalty, but It seemed like they did that after the first TO and no penalty.  TCU seemed to do it as well.  Then on the next TO, Texas does it again and gets the penalty.  I never saw a full screen shot of any of them, but it looked like both teams trying to mimic the NFL bullshit of taking the whole damn defense to the end zone to pose after any turnover.

16 hours ago, SDG said:

Well we didn’t kick off both half’s so that’s a win.  

I was in Chicago for Riot Feat and I looked over to my 312 buddy and said "Fuck we are screwed for years to come".

Sark needs to beat Sooner ass and then I will forgive him for the Card faux pas against Hawg (who clearly is not a good football team despite waxing us and beating aggy).

• Hook 'Em 1

most concerning is red zone offense.  any of those 3 turnovers turn into 7 instead of 3 and we don't have to worry about the end of game decisions.  Casey's deep balls would be second.  seems neither he or Card are good at those.

It was a good win because it was TCU on the road but it was ugly for sure.  Lets not forget Turtle Tom would have won at least 9 and potentially 10 games(LSU who knows, they were bad but its LSU) last year.

the way we beat Tech was nice because we had only done that once to a conf opponent under Herman(KSU last year).

go 3-1 in the next 4 and I think we can take the last 3(assuming our OL improves even a little bit).  He could end up 10-2 and in the Big 12 champ game.

A win over OU and look out.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

all that trust is great.

on the road, if this league's fuckery hasn't caught your attention....

Dear Sark:

TAKE

THE

FUCKING

SIAP, its not Beastjan that anyone lacks trust in, its the OL. But they seem to be slowly moving in the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

I was ok with going for it at 4th in goal line without the benefit of hindsight.  Bijan was completely dominant on that run and the chances of success were high.  Didn’t work out this time but 8 out of 10 times it will.  

We'd be lucky to score 3 out of 10 times with that fucking call. Everyone in the stadium knew Bijan was getting the ball. If you're gonna go for it, get some deception in there, then let the QB play-action it, keep it or better yet, hand it to Keilan around end. Nobody would come close to touching him in a twenty yard sprint. Keilan is pro caliber.

I'm about 30% okay with going for it, but conventional wisdom says take the three. One thing you don't do is run the play they did.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

We'd be lucky to score 3 out of 10 times with that fucking call. Everyone in the stadium knew Bijan was getting the ball. If you're gonna go for it, get some deception in there, then let the QB play-action it, keep it or better yet, hand it to Keilan around end. Nobody would come close to touching him in a twenty yard sprint. Keilan is pro caliber.
I'm about 30% okay with going for it, but conventional wisdom says take the three. One thing you don't do is run the play they did.

Going for it was the right call. Even if you don’t get it, it should be okay with the idea that your opponent needs 99 yards for a TD (lol). I doubt there’s much difference in win probability between your opponent with the ball on their own one yard line down 12 vs. their 25 down

Agree a simple dive with Bijan x 2 is a play calling failure. If that’s all you have planned, might as well kick.

5 hours ago, Horns RD Standard said:

Like the decision(maybe not the call. Everyone and their mama knew Bijon was getting it. Naked boot with his wheels, Casey walks in) for all the reasons he gave. Plus to me it was about staying aggressive. Its a mindset and a mentality. Sends a lil message to ur sideline and future opponents too. Dont celebrate on 3rd cause we coming at ur ass all 4 downs if need be!
Now if the fg takes it from a 2 to 3 score game in that spot, yeah throw all that out the window and take the dam pts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.  2 to 3 scores, take the points for sure .  But as much as everyone wants to criticize, we had hot hand at RB and our defense had looked pretty good for 2.5 consecutive quarters at that time.  99 yard drive seemed much harder based on recent events than the hot butter knife express it actually turned out to be.  I ain't mad at decision, little more perturbed at play call.

And my only small small small small complaint about Bijan yesterday was on this run.  If he goes outside instead of turning inside, it's a TD fairly easily.

• Hook 'Em 4

I wish coaches would understand that you don't chase points until half way through the 4Q, unless you have no other choice. Especially when you have the lead and in the context of the game where your offense has been inside the red zone many more times than punted.

I also would have liked to see some sort of PA pass on 3rd down, then come back with power on 4th.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Going for it was the right call. Even if you don’t get it, it should be okay with the idea that your opponent needs 99 yards for a TD (lol). I doubt there’s much difference in win probability between your opponent with the ball on their own one yard line down 12 vs. their 25 down

Agree a simple dive with Bijan x 2 is a play calling failure. If that’s all you have planned, might as well kick.

Respectfully disagree.  Being up 15, TCU would have needed 2 TDs and 1 2pt just to tie.  They quickly go 99 yards and now we are only up 5, much more pressure/stress on the Offense to deliver (thankfully they did).  By taking easy 3, going up 15,  you likely aren't losing in regulation, but rather if TCU scores  again, OT is the likely outcome , worse case scenario.  The way Sark played it, worst case scenario is you punt back to them and we lose in regulation  by 2.

Herman did this his entire tenure here and the worse case scenario played out every time. His disdain for 3 points was shocking.  Maybe I still have PTSD from it, but i like the 15 point lead.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Respectfully disagree.  Being up 15, TCU would have needed 2 TDs and 1 2pt just to tie.  They quickly go 99 yards and now we are only up 5, much more pressure/stress on the Offense to deliver (thankfully they did).  By taking easy 3, going up 15,  you likely aren't losing in regulation, but rather if TCU scores  again, OT is the likely outcome , worse case scenario.  The way Sark played it, worst case scenario is you punt back to them and we lose in regulation  by 2.

Herman did this his entire tenure here and the worse case scenario played out every time. His disdain for 3 points was shocking.  Maybe I still have PTSD from it, but i like the 15 point lead.

Mathematically you take the 3.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Going for it was absolutely the correct decision.  Then he just called two bad plays.  Make or miss a FG there and its still a 2 possession game.  Get a TD there and it's game over.    Also the D had been playing good since the first quarter, the chances of TCU going 99 yards for a TD were low.  So yeah I liked the decision to go for it, I just did not like the play calling that followed.

I liked his explanation after the game of why he went to Bijan there but I think you have to call Bijan friendly plays.  Running between the 2 gaps on the goal line when everyone knows who is getting the ball is not a Bijan friendly call.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zzzz said:

TCU turning the ball over three times was the difference in the game. 

You're not wrong, but football is a team sport.  TCU didn't just randomly drop the ball on the turf three times.  Our defense made some good plays to get the ball back to the offense, which struggled at times during the game.  The defense had their share of miscues as well, but the team as a whole made just enough plays to get the win.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Patterson  had a solid defensive game plan.

Load the box to stop the run, especially to the right, and sit on the short passing game.

Then for Texas to win, Bijan Robinson has to be amazing or Thompson and the Texas receiving corps have to beat you deep consistently.

Fortunately, Bijan is amazing.

Concerned Thompson is a bit like a slightly enhanced Case McCoy - a solid QB with moxie but some physical arm limitations that shrink the territory the defense has to defend.

Patterson definitely slowed but did not defeat the Sark Express but I think we start seeing that game plan the rest of the way.

Worst case scenario in that case is you lost in regulation because you’ve given up two unanswered TDs and a 2pc, and your opponent says fuck it these guys are broken let’s try to get this win, and converts another 2pc. AKA what Tom Herman should’ve done against OU last year.

The logic doesn’t check out in a self assessment of the defense either. If you think your defense is liable to give up a 99 yard TD drive (of course they always theoretically are, but if you think the risk is high enough to scare you out of trying to get one yard for six points), you 1.) Probably don’t think 15 is that much safer than 12, because at that point you just assume the opposition is going to score at will; and 2.) Probably think you need the six points because your defense sucks.

You’ll never get a better deal than one yard for six points. More often than not, you take that chance, unless the FG changes the number of possessions in which it’s mathematically possible for your opponent to catch you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

You're not wrong, but football is a team sport.  TCU didn't just randomly drop the ball on the turf three times.  Our defense made some good plays to get the ball back to the offense, which struggled at times during the game.  The defense had their share of miscues as well, but the team as a whole made just enough plays to get the win.

Yeah they only randomly dropped it twice
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, burdine said:

I think Patterson  had a solid defensive game plan.

Load the box to stop the run, especially to the right, and sit on the short passing game.

Then for Texas to win, Bijan Robinson has to be amazing or Thompson and the Texas receiving corps have to beat you deep consistently.

OU is likely to do the same. Until Casey shows he can throw the deep ball that's the best way to stop this team.

For those disappointed that Texas didn’t beat TCU worse, Patterson spends an incredible amount of time game planning for Texas vs the rest of the teams on the schedule. He knows beating Texas secures his job, and he hates Texas. 

Have we really been that hard to game plan against for the last 10 years or so?
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, orangebird said:

Actually TCU did randomly put the ball on the ground twice. Once was a muffed punt. Another was them getting cute in the backfield and absolutely untouched. Of course credit goes to special teams and defense for recovering the football. But only the third turnover was generated through pure defensive effort from Anthony Cook who blitzed, sacked, forced and recovered the fumble.

See video at 2:45 for TCU getting cute in the backfield. Jamison gets the fumble recovery, but none of the ball carriers were ever touched prior to the fumble. 

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

It's not PTSD. For the crowd saying going for it on 4th and Goal, they fail to comprehend the scenario of potentially losing by 2 which you rightly explained. At the point in the game, there was enough time left on the clock for the Frogs offense to potentially run two TD scoring drives. It's especially baffling because we've been on the losing end of close games numerous times in the last few seasons thanks to boneheaded decisions not to take the guaranteed points (also when up 32-20, Sarkisian elected to try for 2, instead of taking the guaranteed XP).

That 'go for it' crowd also fails to consider how the defense wilted on that 99 yard drive for a TD immediately after the turnover on downs by going for it on 4th and Goal. Texas completely lost the momentum after failing to score. I imagine that the Texas defense (which until that point played hard limiting the Frogs to 20 points through 3.5 quarters) was demoralized considering the offense put 0 more points on the board after that drive.

It was a definitely a good win because fuck Gary Patterson--that shithead who turns a blind eye to rampant drug abuse by his team and whose entire recruiting schtick involves bashing Texas. Sarkisian gets credit for breaking the TCU hex, but Sark had Texas a lot closer to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than most on this board realize.

Sarkisian seems to learn from his mistakes and hopefully he will make the necessary adjustments to his decision making going into the Cotton Bowl. It's better to use your head than your gut. After all, he was on that USC sideline in Pasadena when the Trojans failed to convert 4th and 2.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I feel like a lot of comments about beating TCU this year lack context.

Patterson knows that beating Texas buys him a ton of good will. Beating us the year we announce the sec move, even moreso.

TCU has not been great so far this year, but Patterson game plans for us like a bowl game. Make no mistake, he is a great defensive coach when he puts that amount of focus on an opponent.

Add to that the players who have been out this season but somehow were ready to come back just for Texas...yeah, they threw everything they had at this game and still came up short. We didn't even play particularly well, and still managed to beat them giving us everything they had.

I think this win is more meaningful than "barely surviving a mediocre tcu team" but time will tell.

Also, a lot more attention was paid by TCU to the passing game and Thompson after their production the past two games.  We were not going to win yesterday with Casey being a poor man’s Colt.  So Sark did what good coaches do in that scenario — he adapted.   He fed #5 the rock and let his best player and the best RB in the nation win the fucking game.  And he did that on the fly, on the road and against a decent conference opponent.

It’s refreshing to see quality game day coaching at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Better strategy is to just teach your team to push the fucking ball 2 yards across the goal line.

Nope. This is not a learn on the job deal. You take the points. We’re just going to have to agree to disagree. Momentum is Real. Points there , even 3 , likely keeps you from losing. By going for it and not getting it you brought in the L. The risk reward was not worth it. 

Especially since we had not scored (TD’s) many times prior to that sequence and FG’s had served us well to that point. No sense taking points off the board. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1

This thread proves that not only is winning hard, but a win only matters if it’s a good win, essentially flawless. 

Really? After 11 years in the fucking desert? 

Please crawl back into your parents basement, put on your VR googles and fire up Madden football while stuffing your retrospectoscope into your asshole you insufferable koonts.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Sark kicks the field goal and TCU goes down and scores a touchdown, we'd all be discussing whether it was a mistake kicking the field goal instead of going for it. Anything less than a touchdown and someone is complaining. For the record, I liked the decision to go for it, but not the play call.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This is a situation in which either decision is acceptable. One makes it a two TD game; the other ends it.

It was probably Bijans worst run of the day. He left his feet slightly giving up his power.

But it’s reminiscent of ISU last year in almost all ways. Down and distance. End the game versus improving your chances of not losing in regulation. A play call with the exact player the defense is gearing up to attack getting the ball. And they both failed. Personally I’d get the QB on the edge with some misdirection and a run/pass option.

Nope. This is not a learn on the job deal. You take the points. We’re just going to have to agree to disagree. Momentum is Real. Points there , even 3 , likely keeps you from losing. By going for it and not getting it you brought in the L. The risk reward was not worth it. 

Especially since we had not scored (TD’s) many times prior to that sequence and FG’s had served us well to that point. No sense taking points off the board. 

Agreed he should have kicked the field goal. Acquiring the ability to get a 2 yard td is still the better strategy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The play call did suck though. 

This call and the 2 pt conversion call were both head scratchers.

For a brilliant offensive mind, I was pretty excited to see what sark would have dialed up for a 4th and goal from 1 or a 2 pt conversion. I was only surprised by how vanilla and predictable both calls were.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's simple. The odds of scoring on 4th and Goal on the 1 with Bijan should be about 80%.

The odds of making the field goal ,about 95%. 

The odds of winning the game, up 12, about 80%

The odds of winning the game up 15, about 90%

The odds of winning the game, up 19, about 99%

There's only a slightly lower chance of success on the play, with a much bigger payoff. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

This call and the 2 pt conversion call were both head scratchers.

For a brilliant offensive mind, I was pretty excited to see what sark would have dialed up for a 4th and goal from 1 or a 2 pt conversion. I was only surprised by how vanilla and predictable both calls were.

He was saving the brilliant play calls for OU?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

It's simple. The odds of scoring on 4th and Goal on the 1 with Bijan should be about 80%.

The odds of making the field goal ,about 95%. 

The odds of winning the game, up 12, about 80%

The odds of winning the game up 15, about 90%

The odds of winning the game, up 19, about 99%

There's only a slightly lower chance of success on the play, with a much bigger payoff. 

it would have been basically an extra point.  I think very few of those are missed so prob 98% chance on that scenario I would think.  Nitpicking I know.

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

Please crawl back into your parents basement, put on your VR googles and fire up Madden football while stuffing your retrospectoscope into your asshole you insufferable koonts.

Is this some sort of Gen Z insult? I suggest you let the adults handle this.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 1