House of the Dragon

crash_davis

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I chuckled at that shot of Rhaenyra watching Daemon fight. She had this gleeful, euphoric look on her face. Like damn girl, you're not even a little bit worried about your uncle right now?

Flail to the back was a bitch move. I was waiting for D to throat cut him from the back after getting up. 

Nope. Just walked off pissed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought it was really well done.  The one thing that was bizarre and totally out of place was when the gold cloaks were fucking up all the thieves and murderers, etc..  They called for the rapist, pulled his pants down to reveal his ass... and then there was a slapsticky canned fart noise during the close-up of the naked ass.  I rewound it because both my wife and I were like wtf, did we just hear that?  Tonally, it made no sense at all as it was such a Blazing Saddles/Farrelly bros gag fart-sound in a completely serious show.

But yeah, I'm in, this is way better than I thought it would be.

I thought it was really well done.  The one thing that was bizarre and totally out of place was when the gold cloaks were fucking up all the thieves and murderers, etc..  They called for the rapist, pulled his pants down to reveal his ass... and then there was a slapsticky canned fart noise during the close-up of the naked ass.  I rewound it because both my wife and I were like wtf, did we just hear that?  Tonally, it made no sense at all as it was such a Blazing Saddles/Farrelly bros gag fart-sound in a completely serious show.
But yeah, I'm in, this is way better than I thought it would be.

Ummmmm ….. that wasn’t a fart noise.

That was his junk getting chopped off.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Flail to the back was a bitch move. I was waiting for D to throat cut him from the back after getting up. 

Nope. Just walked off pissed.

I’m with you, especially as we saw his cheap move against the hands son and we are led to believe he’s ruthless and doesn’t fight with complete honor.  But yea his armor and helmet was dope.

Weird how the “tech” is the exact same in the GoT/HoD universe. Though it’s nearly 200 years there is still the same village and building styles and designs based of same material and same weaponry. Not even a little advancement in 3 generations?

Edited by Vegas64

I’m with you, especially as we saw his cheap move against the hands son and we are led to believe he’s ruthless and doesn’t fight with complete honor.  But yea his armor and helmet was dope.
Weird how the “tech” is the exact same in the GoT/HoD universe. Though it’s nearly 200 years there is still the same village and building styles and designs based of same material and same weaponry. Not even a little advancement in 3 generations?

I bet the catapult was invented between this time period and GOT but it remains to be seen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Armor and helmet were cool…but who jousts in an open faced helmet?

• Hook 'Em 1

There’s a theory out there that ASOIAF is actually post apocalyptic science fiction that kind of explains the lack of scientific progress.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a44092/game-of-thrones-wall-theory-preston-jacobs/
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Were there significant advancement in weaponry and architecture, or difference in way of life between 10th century and 12th century England ?  Some scholars probably can outline the differences.  But to a layman it probably feel similar,  same pox different century

There weren't a ton of scientific advancements before the 19th century in general. There would be centuries where the way people lived didn't change much from a technology standpoint. 

The episode was fine and I think it'll be worth watching but will be far different from GOT. It jumped in too quickly and didn't let things get set up as far as the characters, so on the surface after 1 episode the characters seem lacking in interest. I know there's no way they strike lightning twice with such an iconic, interesting, and likable character being brought out of nowhere like Dinklage did but they need to take an episode or two to really show a reason to give a shit about any of these people. Because the opening was really generic from that standpoint. 

Some silly stuff like open faced jousting helmet and the hand openly fighting with the king's brother. Could have been done more subtly like GOT did in that first season. 

50 minutes ago, Haphap said:

Were there significant advancement in weaponry and architecture, or difference in way of life between 10th century and 12th century England ?  Some scholars probably can outline the differences.  But to a layman it probably feel similar,  same pox different century

Weaponry, no.  Romanesque to Gothic architecture happened over that period.  

• Drool 1

21 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Trying switching/crating a new user name. That got it to play for me, but now the sound has cut out and doesn’t work regardless of which device I’m trying to use. 

thanks for this suggestion, it worked on the same fucking TV that my standard profile didnt work.    

HBO claiming a limited number of folks crashed last night.... bullshit.

https://www.ign.com/articles/house-of-the-dragon-hbo-max-crashes-game-of-thrones-premiere

Just now, AUS-97HORN said:

thanks for this suggestion, it worked on the same fucking TV that my standard profile didnt work.    

HBO claiming a limited number of folks crashed last night.... bullshit.

https://www.ign.com/articles/house-of-the-dragon-hbo-max-crashes-game-of-thrones-premiere

Well technically, the number had to be limited.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Qyburn and Sammy T. definitely made advancements in GoT. Qyburn with the scorpion and Frankenstein-type shit with The Mountain and Sam by curing Greyscale. I’m sure there are more examples

Speaking of greyscale, anyone else think ol king getting the tetanus or whatever from the throne (which is much more a display) is the root source?

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Loved the writing and cast of unknowns.

The tone has been set and I like it alot. 

Paddy isn’t an unknown. But the rest, yeah probably. 

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

There’s supposedly a time jump midway through so grown up Rhaenyra is Emma D’Arcy

So far they've made it seem obvious that this king isn't going to last much longer than ol Robert and foreshadowed some predictable stuff. 

Would be awesome if they completely flip it on it's head and kill off the girl instead and just hired DArcy for a day just to put the name in the cast to throw people off. I find the girl among the most annoying of the first episode anyway. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Matt Smith portrayed Doctor Who for years. He's pretty famous in the UK and in sci fi community. 

He was also played Prince Philip on The Crown.

Knew I’d seen him from somewhere. 

a few things:

1) In a fantasy show with fire breathing dragons, are we really arguing verisimilitude re: technology advances?

2) I thought the the makeup department had the King's evil brother all done up to look like link from Zelda or some giant elf creature.  But, no, he's just an odd looking dude in real life.

3) Can we change the thread title to actually match the title of the show? 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

they evolved to a throne made of swords that didn't almost kill you every time you sat on it.

if got taught us anything, you could be in a huge battle, be on the verge of death, and get through it.  but if the camera panned in on a small scrape or open wound, it's just a matter of time.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Just hearing the names of the great houses sucked me right back in.   Really good start to the series.  The action, intrigue, and the spectacle are there.  Now we just need to see if they develop characters that can live up to it.  

Yep. I marked out when they showed Rickon Stark

Okay, even better on rewatch.

I don't think Daemon's a bad dude at all.  Just has an ego, some resentment, normal stuff for a 2nd born Prince.  I stopped reading Fire and Blood as soon as Viserys died so I don't know what happens, but I don't think Daemon would betray or conspire against his brother.  

Telling his brother the king that he is weak, that the council knows it and manipulates him for their ends, that seemed sincere.  I also happen to agree with him that Otto is a cunt.

It's easy to see how Rhaenyra and Alicent's friendship is gonna get torn apart if she becomes the new queen.

• Hook 'Em 4

1. That’s not weird to me at all.
2. There’s more than 3 generations in 200 years.

I don't really get the complaints about the tech not changing or the buildings looking the same. There are still buildings that look the same today as they did three hundred years ago. Turns out when you build something out of stone it lasts a really long time. As far as the tech not changing, it is a fantasy series, not a historical series. If this fantasy world mirrored our own in those regards, there would have been handgonnes (the first true handheld firearm) by the time their was armor like they depict.

I thought it was an excellent episode.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Paddy isn’t an unknown. But the rest, yeah probably. 

I just looked up his IMDB, I had never heard of him. I've seen a couple of movies he's been in but I don't remember him at all. Matt Smith is the only person I recognize so far.

16 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Just the opposite. The King's Landing we see at GoT is in profound decline. You can see how new and beautiful many of the buildings are (including the Red Keep) during the initial dragon flight over the city. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Just the opposite. The King's Landing we see at GoT is in profound decline. You can see how new and beautiful many of the buildings are (including the Red Keep) during the initial dragon flight over the city. 

Got it, I was wrong then. It just seemed to this layman's eyes that it was the same set pieces and standard, straight out of central casting "Medieval Era" setting and they made an effort to highlight to viewers that this is nearly 200 years prior to that last Medieval Era settings you saw which looked exactly like this one.

It's reasonable that the city's buildings/architecture would look the same over the period of time covered in both series--although things would definitely be shinier and newer in HotD, and we see in GoT that the big, beautiful dragonpit is a ruin.

What I found out of place was a weirwood tree in King's Landing.

3 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Rhaenyra and Alicents’ blossoming lesbian relationship is going to be tested when Rhaenyra finds out her bff with benefits is fucking her dad. 

I wonder if Otto has been giving it to her.

The things with her chewing her fingernails to bleeding stumps was interesting.

8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I wonder if Otto has been giving it to her.

The things with her chewing her fingernails to bleeding stumps was interesting.

There is a love shape with points greater than three, I’m certain of that. Otto would be a sick participant, but this is GoT after all.

Edited by CheesePie

• blacklab changed the title to House of the Dragon