Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Way too much is being made of the Eyes of Texas thing.

Sam probably stuck around because he knew it was the final time he'd get to sing it in Dallas. I doubt he or anyone was making a statement, and I doubt the team cared one way or the other. The losing team isn't going to stick around to watch blOU receive and celebrate with the golden hat, they may not have even realized that Sam stayed on the field.

• Hook 'Em 5

41 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Sam probably stuck around because he knew it was the final time he'd get to sing it in Dallas. I doubt he or anyone was making a statement, and I doubt the team cared one way or the other. The losing team isn't going to stick around to watch blOU receive and celebrate with the golden hat, they may not have even realized that Sam stayed on the field.

you may want to tell Nahlin on twitter that.. he and that ex bu writer now at Dave Campbell's are going at it on twitter

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's not about anyone making a statement, it's about the "leader" of the team being out there after giving his all at the end of the game and no one standing with him.

Even if I don't believe in the song itself, I'm standing with this guy I just went to battle with.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

It's not about anyone making a statement, it's about the "leader" of the team being out there after giving his all at the end of the game and no one standing with him.

Even if I don't believe in the song itself, I'm standing with this guy I just went to battle with.

If you don't believe in the song, what does it accomplish? Now that standing for the Eyes is no longer mandatory, all they'd be doing is standing in a stadium full of drunk blOU fans screaming obscenities at them while the blOU players and coaches celebrate with the Golden Hat in front of them. It'd be insanely awkward and no one wants to deal with that. So naturally they left.

Ehlinger wanted to stay because he knows it's the last chance he'll ever have to sing the Eyes in Dallas. That's it. His reasoning doesn't apply to anyone else on the team, therefore it's silly to castigate them for not doing the same. He's not going to ask or expect the other players to also do something he's doing for personal reasons.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

you may want to tell Nahlin on twitter that.. he and that ex bu writer now at Dave Campbell's are going at it on twitter

Looking at that Twitter conversation, I think today's events may have broken Nahlin

21 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This could be the case, but is there any actual evidence that the team has "abandoned" him in any significant way? I do agree it's not a great look optics-wise but from what I've read it seems like the team is still supportive of Ehlinger; not like he's being shunned for staying on the field for the Eyes. Now whether they're supportive of the head coach...

36 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Nahlin's forgetting his own advice.

When a coach is losing, he can do nothing right. All sorts of inconsequential things (being rude during press conferences, practice methods, standing for the Eyes, etc.) suddenly have their importance artificially magnified. When a coach is winning no one cares about that stuff. It's all a distraction from the larger issue. In a hypothetical universe where that UT professor never discovers the minstrel show-origins of the Eyes and everything remains the status quo, this team would still be as bad as ever - just as it was last year. We'd just be blaming it on other inconsequential things instead.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, you definitely seem like more of a rosé girl. 

I had to Google that... not a fan of red wine. Might have just been the distiller, I tried Tincup instead of the usual Bulleitt.

I'm not picky as long as I can drink enough of it to make the pain of watching this team go away.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Looking at that Twitter conversation, I think today's events may have broken Nahlin

This could be the case, but is there any actual evidence that the team has "abandoned" him in any significant way? I do agree it's not a great look optics-wise but from what I've read it seems like the team is still supportive of Ehlinger; not like he's being shunned for staying on the field for the Eyes. Now whether they're supportive of the head coach...

We had a 4 overtime game and the team gained 20 yards that didn’t involve Sam running or throwing. He accounted for 95% of the offensive yardage. That seems like abandonment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We had a 4 overtime game and the team gained 20 yards that didn’t involve Sam running or throwing. He accounted for 95% of the offensive yardage. That seems like abandonment. 

Yeah that's not really what I meant, and I think you know that's not what I meant.

That stat really is damning as hell though. Christ.

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

29 yards out of 428 total. Sheesh. The definition of a one-man show.

(and nine of those yards were meaningless because of Ingram's fumble at the end of the run. So like you said, 20 meaningful yards).

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Viper said:shit, do it midway through the Rewind taping. Like have Herman review the game with Lowell and then announce that he's gone when you come back from commercial break.

I’m thinking we should do a Reverse-Tuberville. 

Tom takes a group of recruits out to eat. When he goes to the restroom, everyone leaves, and he comes back to an empty table and a “You’re fucking fired!” banner. For good measure, dump a bunch of nails out in front of his tires. 

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

I had to Google that... not a fan of red wine. Might have just been the distiller, I tried Tincup instead of the usual Bulleitt.

I'm not picky as long as I can drink enough of it to make the pain of watching this team go away.

Tincup is a heavy rye mash bill rye. Maybe try something like Sazerac next time 

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

My god, people in here shitting on rye. 2020 is a fuck.

No shit. I drink a rye manhattan nightly and they’re the best. If you’ve got a problem with rye, it’s because you’re doing it wrong and drinking the rot gut. 

Regarding Herman and recruiting - shit fire and save matches. There’s no way this buffoon cockroaches his way into a season saving win streak is there? Seems absurd at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No shit. I drink a rye manhattan nightly and they’re the best. If you’ve got a problem with rye, it’s because you’re doing it wrong and drinking the rot gut. 

Regarding Herman and recruiting - shit fire and save matches. There’s no way this buffoon cockroaches his way into a season saving win streak is there? Seems absurd at this point. 

Damn was hoping to come to this thread with you saying you were personally helping Herman clean out his office

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I feel dirty thinking about Urban as our head coach. However, it’s the kind of dirty feeling one gets after hooking up with a random slut. It leaves a wicked smile on your face knowing if you did catch something, still had sex.

Are sluts still a thing in 2020? Asking for friend 

2 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I feel dirty thinking about Urban as our head coach. However, it’s the kind of dirty feeling one gets after hooking up with a random slut. It leaves a wicked smile on your face knowing if you did catch something, still had sex.

Random slut? Urban is no random slut. Urban is the super hot 10/10 mega slut that fucks her way onto private jets and super yachts. You hit that shit and every mother fucker you know whether they hate you or love you will be force to say, Damn Bro. 

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Random slut? Urban is no random slut. Urban is the super hot 10/10 mega slut that fucks her way onto private jets and super yachts. You hit that shit and every mother fucker you know whether they hate you or love you will be force to say, Damn Bro. 

See the thing is she won't say no... Because of the implication

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Taking the temperature of Texas targets

Times are tough in Austin right now. As Texas dropped a second straight game, the heat is on for Tom Herman and his staff. While the Texas brass tries to get everything turned around, the fallout will affect recruiting one way or another. Texas was already struggling some in the 2021 class, and the 2022 group was off to a fast start. Even before this weekend’s loss, the Longhorns lost a key component in Billy Bowman.

As the ice continues to get thinner under Tom Herman and this recruiting class, it’s time to assess what these struggles can do to Teas in the recruiting world. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we take the temperature of the 2021 and 2022 classes and provide some notes on what we’re hearing with several prospects.

The Denton Ryan duo

I’ve spent the weekend doing more digging when it comes to Billy Bowman and his decision to decommit from Texas. The timing of everything suggests that recent wins and losses aren’t the reason this happened. Instead, Bowman likely was thinking this over for some time. When he was offered by Oklahoma in the summer, it was certainly notable. With his girlfriend enrolling in Norman, the Sooners would have a leg up there.

As I reported last week, the lines of communication between both sides are still open, but the odds say decommitted players rarely come back around to the original team. It's hard not to see Bowman landing at Oklahoma as of right now. If Texas continues to slide, it will be even tougher for the Longhorns to re-establish any momentum with the former Texas commit. This 2021 class was built early, but the core started to come apart when Jalen Milroe decommitted.

There was a sense that those early commitments were all in it together and Milroe was kind of the glue that kept them there at the time. This might have happened anyway, but I believe Bowman’s decision to decommit became easier once he saw Milroe defect.

Ja'Tavion Sanders

All eyes turn to Ja'Tavion Sanders now.  The highest-rated commit in the Texas class is a teammate of Bowman, but I’ve heard that he won’t base his decision on what Bowman does just like he didn’t base it on Bowman when he originally committed to Texas over a year ago. Like Bowman, Sanders is also a two-way star at Ryan, and I’ve been told he’s been talking more recently about playing offense at the collegiate level.  

Other teams know that as well, and I’m told Oklahoma and a few other are also working behind the scenes to pitch Sanders on a spot in their offense. That’s obviously distressing news for Texas fans to read, but we checked with several sources to see things were this weekend. A key source reiterated that Sanders doesn’t spend much time on social media and loathes the recruiting process. Sanders told Horns247 a few weeks ago that he doesn’t really even speak to any other schools and doesn’t want to.

I was informed by a source that Sanders is involved in a group text for top high school prospects in Texas. These groups are common each year as guys take trips together and get to know one another. A source familiar with the group text told me that Sanders was vocal on Saturday speaking up for Texas and defending his school choice to several OU commits also in the group. Sanders is a bit different when it comes to his approach, but it sounds like everything is solid there for now.

Checking in with the 2021 class

When it comes to the rest of the 2021 class, we are definitely on alert. As always, we will keep an eye on the out of state guys first. I asked around to take the temperature of some of those prospects and was told everything seems alright for now with Jamier Johnson, Gunnar Helm, Michael Myslinski and Jaden Alexis. I’m having a tougher time getting any information near New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton wide receiver Casey Cain. I know there have been some whispers behind the scenes on him, but I haven’t heard anything one way or another.

As for the in-state prospects, guys like Hayden Conner and Derrick Harris still seem locked in. I know a few other guys have asked those around them about what they should do if a coaching move is made, but for the most part, everyone seems to be staying calm at the moment. We’ll continue to keep an eye on how things are going with those commits. As for the rest of the 2021 class, Texas is losing momentum by the day. While the end of this class was always going to be touch and go, Texas is losing just about any chance it had with longshots like Bryce Foster and Savion Byrd.

Worse, any momentum they had leading with guys like LJ Johnson and Terrence Cooks is starting to melt away. You can bet the Texas A&M staff will be all over Johnson after running the ball with authority in a big win over Florida in contrast with the Texas struggles over the weekend. Terrence Cooks is another where Texas will have to do some extra work considering his commitment is coming up in November. His questioning of Texas development and winning will be hard to answer at the moment.

I don’t have all the answers, but there was a stretch in the 2017 class right before Charlie Strong was dismissed where Texas recruiting momentum seemed to grind to a halt and signal the end. The staff is putting themselves in a spot where once again they will have to fight battles on multiple fronts. If this team can’t get things turned around, they might find themselves in the same spot Strong found himself in that allowed Tom Herman to take the job.

Reason for optimism with 2022 class?

If there is any reason for optimism right now, it revolves around the 2022 class. Maybe it’s because they are young and not close to signing, but I haven’t detected many disturbances in the force with that group. I haven’t heard of any second thoughts from Quinn Ewers, and Phaizon Wilson and Jaylon Guilbeau both told me everything is solid with them as well.

Texas is surging a bit for a guy like Domani Jackson who is planning to come to Austin in two weeks to see Texas against Baylor. Armani Winfield told Horns247 over the weekend that Texas is one of his top programs while Oklahoma is all but out of the race. We continue to hear strong feedback on Texas and running back Jaydon Blue, and the Longhorns are one of the top schools standing out to elite prospects Chace Biddle and Evan Stewart.

Continued poor performances could change the outcome of that group, but it appears Texas is still looking strong with one of the most talented groups to come out of the state of Texas in some time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1