Game Week: Kansas- a team we can beat?

Wulaw Horn

51 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

OR

You've lost to the 4 best teams in the conference and you're the 5th best team in the Big XII.  KU is awful, so if you lose this one, disregard this optimistic view and fire everyone.  The OU game may have made us think they are on the right path, but currently they are as bad as they usually are.  Beat WV on the road, KSU at at home, win your bowl game and finish 8-5.  They come back next season with some positive momentum and make a run at the conference championship game.  Then you move to the SEC and resume getting your ass kicked on a weekly basis.  Ok, never mind.  You guys are screwed.    

Your scenario (minus the SEC jab) is the only one that will give me any shred of hope for the next 10 months of this team's future under Sark.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Your scenario (minus the SEC jab) is the only one that will give me any shred of hope for the next 10 months of this team's future under Sark.. 

yep. It’s possible Texas is the gatekeeper in this league (the roll OSU or TCU used to play it’s gross that it’s us) and separates the top 25/close to that teams from the also rans. 
if you look at our schedule that is a plausible way to read it. 
0-1 against top 10 (OU) 

0-2 against 10-20 types (OSU and Baylor)

1-2 against 20-30 (Arkansas, Baylor Louisiana) 

6-0 against also rans/non top 30 types (Rice, Tech, TCU, Kansas, WVU?, KSU?). 

that’s way worse than we hoped for. If we end up 7-5 and say we beat all the bad/mediocre teams on our schedule and lost to all the good and better teams with 1.5 good WR’s, shitty QB play, Shitty blocking and an awesome tail back that’s a story Sark can credibly tell in the portal and one more off season of recruiting but he better follow it up with results in 22. 
I’m more trending toward it doesn’t go down that way and we are actually fucked- but that’s at least plausible. 

21 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Without some last minute heroics and ref indifference, Kansas would have beat OU - Kansas should have beaten them.  This will definitely be a tough game for our team right now.

Yeah but you could also say the same for us, so... They are terrible, we should win convincingly.  

1 minute ago, n64ra said:

As long as we are losing at half time, we can win the game.

Flip that shit.  We're winning at halftime and we lose the game.  Instead we lose at halftime and win the game.  Topsy-Turvy that motherfucker.  Flip that shit on 'em:

I like it! 

22 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

yep. It’s possible Texas is the gatekeeper in this league (the roll OSU or TCU used to play it’s gross that it’s us) and separates the top 25/close to that teams from the also rans. 
if you look at our schedule that is a plausible way to read it. 
0-1 against top 10 (OU) 

0-2 against 10-20 types (OSU and Baylor)

1-2 against 20-30 (Arkansas, Baylor Louisiana) 

6-0 against also rans/non top 30 types (Rice, Tech, TCU, Kansas, WVU?, KSU?). 

that’s way worse than we hoped for. If we end up 7-5 and say we beat all the bad/mediocre teams on our schedule and lost to all the good and better teams with 1.5 good WR’s, shitty QB play, Shitty blocking and an awesome tail back that’s a story Sark can credibly tell in the portal and one more off season of recruiting but he better follow it up with results in 22. 
I’m more trending toward it doesn’t go down that way and we are actually fucked- but that’s at least plausible. 

Here is the schedule vs the F+ rankings

9 - L - OU

13 - L - ISU

18 - L - Baylor

21 - L - Oklahoma St

29 - TBD - K State

30 - L - Arkansas

53 - W - ULL

58 - TBD - WVU

64 - W - TCU

67 - W - Tech

125 - W - Rice

126 - TBD - Kansas

The optimistic view is that we are a fringe top 25 team, that got steamrolled on the road in a hostile environment in game 2 of a new regime, and then played our top 4 opponents in a row and lost as expected.  If we were to win out this would make sense as a narrative for the season.  How much of the recent trend was us simply playing better teams, vs not getting better or actively getting worse?  I have no fucking idea.  At this point though it is certainly possible or maybe even likely that we will underperform and lose one or two more because the mindset of the team has been broken.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is our performance last year for reference.

5 - L - OU

9 - l - ISU

20 - W - Oklahoma St

29 - L - TCU

37 - W - WVU

63 - W - Baylor

67 - W - K State

69 - W - Colorado

76 - W - Tech

123 - W - UTEP

The Oklahoma State game was a "good" win, but otherwise looks similar, assuming we don't lose to WVU.  My impression of this team vs last year is the talent is down and the coaches are better, but not by much.

OR
You've lost to the 4 best teams in the conference and you're the 5th best team in the Big XII.  KU is awful, so if you lose this one, disregard this optimistic view and fire everyone.  The OU game may have made us think they are on the right path, but currently they are as bad as they usually are.  Beat WV on the road, KSU at at home, win your bowl game and finish 8-5.  They come back next season with some positive momentum and make a run at the conference championship game.  Then you move to the SEC and resume getting your ass kicked on a weekly basis.  Ok, never mind.  You guys are screwed.    

Your new tv contract in the AAC/big12 should be spectacular. I bet it will be played on national television across the nation. The 2 teams you hated are leaving thank goodness. Happy? Enjoy Cincinnati and smu and Houston and Memphis for the rest of your life. You all will be one in the same on Saturdays.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/8/2021 at 12:31 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Agree, this team isn't beating K-State or West Virginia. Fine, don't want the bullshit 6-6 bowl apperance. 

Put the season out of its misery as soon as possible. Is COVID still a possible thing / any chance we can have one / more games just called off?

Extra bowl practices are worth vastly more than playing in the bowl game. We need them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Two knee braces

Oh shit, so he's a duel threat?  We are so fucked.

I still remember that BYU QB who was so hobbled, we thought we'd beat the shit out of him and the Cougars.  We watched him warm-up after that rain delay (and we were dead sober since we had finished all the beer on the bus hours before) and then just watched him annihilate Manny's defense.  A few years later, our bus to FedEx Field...we got held back by the cops because they said, "The rest of the Maryland coaching staff is pulling in ahead of you."  Remember they had a handful of coaches fired before that game and so NCAA rules about only full staffers can travel with the team or whatever to a "neutral" site game, so their new "analysts" or whatever, come screeching into the parking lot ahead of us in a fucking Chevy Impala rental car.  And I thought, "We're gonna beat the shit out of them, half their coaching staff just got into town and probably didn't have time to come up with a proper scheme with which to beat Coach Mensa."  I was wrong again.  I thought we'd have a good, not great, but good defense this year.  Nobody knows nuthin' about nuthin'.  We're gonna stay in the wilderness for a few more years.  Of that, we can be sure.

Anyway, what time's the Surly tailgate...I need a drink already.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:39 PM, TexasMan said:

6:30 game time on ESPNU. Wow 

Damn, starting at 12pm EST I had scheduled a squash match, a lunch roti, buying a marble door threshold and a toilet, and getting some Jimmy Deans hot sausage for breakfast tomorrow.  That would have surely taken till 4pm. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Oh shit, so he's a duel threat?  We are so fucked.

I still remember that BYU QB who was so hobbled, we thought we'd beat the shit out of him and the Cougars.  We watched him warm-up after that rain delay (and we were dead sober since we had finished all the beer on the bus hours before) and then just watched him annihilate Manny's defense.  A few years later, our bus to FedEx Field...we got held back by the cops because they said, "The rest of the Maryland coaching staff is pulling in ahead of you."  Remember they had a handful of coaches fired before that game and so NCAA rules about only full staffers can travel with the team or whatever to a "neutral" site game, so their new "analysts" or whatever, come screeching into the parking lot ahead of us in a fucking Chevy Impala rental car.  And I thought, "We're gonna beat the shit out of them, half their coaching staff just got into town and probably didn't have time to come up with a proper scheme with which to beat Coach Mensa."  I was wrong again.  I thought we'd have a good, not great, but good defense this year.  Nobody knows nuthin' about nuthin'.  We're gonna stay in the wilderness for a few more years.  Of that, we can be sure.

Anyway, what time's the Surly tailgate...I need a drink already.

Getting there around 1PM I’m hoping we will have enough battery to go through the night games since the sun goes down at 6 now the solar generator will probably not be all that great after then. I’ve got 6 hours of batteries I’m pretty sure, but this morning they weren’t charged all the way. We’ll see how far we get on the charger in an hour or so.