Who are the team leaders?

Tylerocks

Watching the 05 Documentary last week, Mack said (or someone did) that your best teams are player-led teams obviously in reference to VY, Studdard, J Scott, Huff, Griffin etc.

Obviously that team was stacked with talent.

NOBODY on this team stands out as any kind of leader.

I mean I guess Bijan, just by virtue of being the best player.

Roschon is the ultimate team guy.

I think Worthy plays tough, definitely with a chip on his tiny shoulders.  Plus he's a freshman.

We have 83 JAG's and Bijan and Roschon?

Good question and it’s definitely a big part of our problem. I believe it has a lot to do with a lot of our recruiting attrition. So few of those upperclassmen have stuck around or panned out. Those are the people who are supposed to develop into team leaders and they just haven’t. Our team is largely rudderless because of it. 

I once had a discussion with a former FBS DE. We were talking about a particular team’s defensive struggles. He made the observation that the best defenses he had played on all had leaders at each level of the defense (someone on the DL, a LB, and a DB) who knew what everyone was supposed to be doing and who could/would  rally his teammates and help them be engaged and where they were supposed to be.

I had never thought about that, but I believe it’s true. And I don’t see that on this team at all. Who is keeping his teammates from falling flat in the second half yet again? Doesn’t look like anyone is. 

Edited by Tex Pete

Sark in his PC said Roschon... and couldn't really come up with another. Also implied it was maybe tougher given he's not even a #1 starter.
I think there are some guys that are trying to lead by example - Bijan, Worthy, Casey/Hudson, but that's not what's needed now to get the other guys going.

What does it say when you don’t give your team leader more opportunities? It being tougher is probably more accurate. At the same time, he could be more involved.

I’ve said it elsewhere but Bijan is not wearing down due to touches but possibly due to number of plays - blocking, route running. Roschon has proven capable of doing more.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Anytime a Jr even has a remotely decent season, they bolt for the NFL.  We’ve lacked talented senior leadership for a while now.  

When your leaders are your most talented and hardest workers is when you have good “team” and a good culture.  Right now our “leaders”… Casey and Josh Moore are players to at clean out their lockers and transfer or threaten to transfer at the first sigh of adversity.  Our other leader is a back up running back.  Hard for players to follow these guys.  

I’m hoping Worthy and Bijan can grow into these roles in the off-season.  We will need them to.  We’re also going to need an experienced QB to portal here to help with that.  Card is the opposite of vocal leader, he’s about as quiet as they come.  I doubt he or Casey are on this roster next season.

TLDR, the talented recruits from the 2017,  2018, and 2019 classes have either busted, transferred, entered the draft as soon as they could.  It has left us with JAGs leading this program.  This roster needs turnover quickly.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Anytime a Jr even has a remotely decent season, they bolt for the NFL.  We’ve lacked talented senior leadership for a while now.  

When your leaders are your most talented and hardest workers is when you have good “team” and a good culture.  Right now our “leaders”… Casey and Josh Moore are players to at clean out their lockers and transfer or threaten to transfer at the first sigh of adversity.  Our other leader is a back up running back.  Hard for players to follow these guys.  

I’m hoping Worthy and Bijan can grow into these roles in the off-season.  We will need them to.  We’re also going to need an experienced QB to portal here to help with that.  Card is the opposite of vocal leader, he’s about as quiet as they come.  I doubt he or Casey are on this roster next season.

TLDR, the talented recruits from the 2017,  2018, and 2019 classes have either busted, transferred, entered the draft as soon as they could.  It has left us with JAGs leading this program.  This roster needs turnover quickly.

Pretty much a good nutshell.  We have no senior leadership and we were ranked near the bottom in terms of returning starts.  This team was already young and inexperienced with a brand new coaching staff.

Rod Babers talked about this on his radio show yesterday.  He basically said that Roschon is the only vocal leader we've got and it's hard for guys to hold each other accountable when everybody is struggling.

Seriously, how many guys in that locker room can stand up and say, "I'm carrying my share of the weight, now where are you?"

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yep.  And, people who might have been leaders had they stuck in one position in one scheme have been kind of diluted by being bounced around various schemes in which they were variously effective, particularly on D.  Slight exaggeration, but if you are bounced around between DE, LB, and S, at varying levels of effectiveness, can you ever become a leader of even your unit?

There are no obvious good leaders and it hurts.

You need good player leaders for two reasons. One, because good player leaders get their teammates out practicing and thinking football when the coaches aren't able to or aren't allowed to. I remember Colt and VY working summer drills and Sam getting guys to put in extra time and effort. Two, because they keep them motivated in games either through their ability to carry the team on their shoulders or to motivate and encourage them when shit goes bad.

The real problem is that there are always leaders in any group of people, and especially in young men. And if the leaders aren't the right kind of leaders, it can be a huge negative. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I talked with Brayden Liebrock about this exact thing on our most recent post game wrap. he had an answer that surprised me, but also he confirmed RoJo is THE leader. 

Well, shit, if Rojo is the leader, why not just let him play QB for real instead of the rare wildcat packages? Rojo came here to play QB and I’d like to see him get the chance. This season is already lost so we need to try something new before Card gets snapped in half.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

I talked with Brayden Liebrock about this exact thing on our most recent post game wrap. he had an answer that surprised me, but also he confirmed RoJo is THE leader. 

Not surprising to hear that. Guy plays like he actually gives a shit.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

His answer (other than RoJo) surprised me too and I was definitely comforted by it.  The Burnt End podcasts have been especially great given this season to get some insight into the locker room.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, immamac said:

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

His answer (other than RoJo) surprised me too and I was definitely comforted by it.  The Burnt End podcasts have been especially great given this season to get some insight into the locker room.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

15 hours ago, MrBig said:

Well, shit, if Rojo is the leader, why not just let him play QB for real instead of the rare wildcat packages? Rojo came here to play QB and I’d like to see him get the chance. This season is already lost so we need to try something new before Card gets snapped in half.

THIS! Wouldn't hurt at this point. Run the option with RoJo. Hell, make him starting QB for next season. Love that kid. 

The longhorn blitz talked about this but Orakpo apparently beat up Ryan Palmer during a weight lifting session because he wasn't putting effort in.  Ryan Palmer was Orakpo's roommate.  They talked about how the other players thought that if he would beat up his own roommate, they were scared what he would do to them.

Meanwhile, our starting WR who is supposed to be a leader thinks it's okay to show up to practice late, get into it with the head coach, and blame others when he himself is playing at a poor level.  He then proceeds to quit with 3 games left.  Our starting safety and leader, BJ Foster, quit the team in the middle of the game last year.  You can find multiple players with similar attitudes.  Casey cleaned out his locker prior to the season bc he got beat out during fall camp by Hudson Card, that's how mentally weak these players are.  The fact that Bo Davis had to have that rant bc players are laughing on the bus after a 4th straight embarrassing loss should tell you everything you need about this team.  These players are accustomed to being losers.  They don't have any shame about their performance, because if they did, you'd see them giving a fuck.  I'm all on board on a full blown purge his off season.   This is going to be a 2-3 year rebuild.  They need to purge anyone that isn't fully bought in. 

• Hook 'Em 3