Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Learn me on car touch up paint pot favor. Gf has a 2022 accord and front bumper has a pretty good size scratch on it, maybe 4 inches or so. I think I found the paint code online but is it as easy as just apply it or should I let someone who knows what they are doing handle it? 

It’s pretty easy and on a 2022 should match exactly. You won’t really make it harder for a “pro” by trying it yourself first so I would do that and see how you like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Someone explain Optimized Battery Charging to me. If my phone’s on 20% at 11am I can fully charge it in an hour, but if it’s on 60 and I plug it in when I go to bed it says it’ll be finished charging in like 7 hours. What’s up with that?

Its goal is finish the charge when you unplug (bad for batteries to sit fully charged). At night it has learned your usage patterns and knows you aren't going to unplug until you wake up, so it slows the charge so it won't be done until close to your wake time. In the day it assumes you are in a hurry and need to charge quickly, so it charges at full speed (also bad for the battery.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, nnm said:

IMG_2390.thumb.jpeg.9d62fcf90f408c67404f886b65875f69.jpeg

Are there different colors on these jerseys? Yes, I’m colorblind. 

Yes. One team red stripes, one team black. But, somebody should be fired for letting them both wear the home stripes. 

For everybody else:

79689057-12933327-Both_Sunderland_and_Ne

and it wasn't just the colorblind

79690241-12933327-image-a-17_17045647111

Edited by BearMace
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I tried to be really conscientious about different learning styles and abilities when training/ teaching folks on apps and processes at work; but gotdam if I didn’t unintentionally fuck with the colorblind by talking about red and green shit on our maps and locators. “ Just take the blue route to Store #638…”  blank stares.

That shit’s a challenge…lol.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I tried to be really conscientious about different learning styles and abilities when training/ teaching folks on apps and processes at work; but gotdam if I didn’t unintentionally fuck with the colorblind by talking about red and green shit on our maps and locators. “ Just take the blue route to Store #638…”  blank stares.

That shit’s a challenge…lol.

Yep. I spent 25 years in the oil and gas industry, working with some brilliant engineers and finance types. They could generate some awesome presentation materials showing pay zones, decline curves, relative values, etc.  And lose about 10% of their audience every time because we couldn’t see their clever little graphics. 
I usually just leaned over to the person next to me and asked which was which. 

Educate me, please, on American Legion Auxiliary membership. As in, why would someone want to suddenly join late in life, what are the benefits, etc.? I understand the basic purpose of AL and VFW as essentially fraternal organizations for ex-military/veterans and to raise money, do some good in the community, etc. But what benefit would an Auxiliary member get from joining?

Backstory: my 68 YO aunt --who has been a lifelong fuckup and con-artist-- reached out to me via FB Messenger yesterday asking if I had my Grampa's WWII dog tags or military papers that had his SSN on it. She was DESPERATE to join American Legion Auxillary in Florida and said that she needed a DD214 (which the military didn't issue until the '50s) so she needed her dad's SSN to get this form. She asked my dad (her older brother; they hate one another) for this info and although I know he has the tags he lied, told her he didn't, and to contact Fort Snelling in MN where their parents are both buried to see what info she can get that would prove his military service. Grampa died ten years ago, and Gramma followed 3 years later. My dad and his sister settled their humble estate and have had almost no contact since. My grandparents had 4 children total. My dad was the firstborn. Then came my uncle (died of cancer in his 60s when his parents were still alive), another aunt (died in '63 at 13 of Lupus), and con-artist aunt. At a very young age she learned to capitalize on the death of her sister and being the only daughter, and over the course of her the next 50+ years she'd use that sadness & guilt to go to her dad & get help--usually cash--whenever she needed it, which was monthly if not weekly. Gramma admitted to me before her death that she disagreed with Grampa giving her so much money over the years. My grandparents were both children of the Great Depression. Grampa worked at a power plant as a maintenance supervisor after WWII and made an honest living. They were comfortable but certainly not rich. Gramma told me with some shame that they had given my aunt north of $150K in cash over the years plus two gently used cars over the years. My dad & his brother saw much of this & it chapped both of their asses. This still didn't prevent my aunt from declaring bankruptcy in the '00s. My dad took great joy in telling her that "the bank of Bob and Martha is officially CLOSED" when he completed his duties as executor & all accounts were settled.

Anyway, back to the other day. I told my aunt that I had a copy of his WWII honorable discharge papers that included his Army serial number, an 8-digit ID. I scanned her a copy of the front of this paper only (not the back which contained more personal info). It has his name, the serial number, and date of discharge (11/4/45 at Camp Hood, Texas). It was about an hour after I sent this I get a nervous call from my dad warning me that she might want some info about Grampa and to not give her anything. Fuck. Too late. So I get an earful from the old man just because. Now, I didn't provide her anything of importance or that she couldn't have likely gotten on her own as his daughter. I believe the Army serial numbers have no value. And even if she somehow got his SSN out of this, that would have locked as soon as my Gramma received the transfer of benefits on his death.

So now that I've lost everyone with this long diatribe, did I fuck up? I can't imagine that even if she has enough documentation to join the AL Aux in FL that she can do anything nefarious or benefit in any significant way. Maybe she's trying to find a way to rent a cheap hall for her equally fucked up son & daughter to use for a wedding. Or maybe she'll finally marry her fiancee of over a decade, the guy who is the father of their 25 YO daughter. Oh wait. He's still married to his first wife and living in MN (not a bad plan for him; he only has to visit my aunt once or twice a year).

Sounds like to me that it was some type of way to scam his SS#.  Which as you said, is now useless.

If it was an honest request, you didn’t give up anything of value as the old military ID#’s were irrelevant for anything else. 

It would, or should, be enough to get in if the request was legit, else nothing that can really cause harm or be used nefariously. Unless she’s somehow trying to use that info to scam the VA or something. Not sure how that could work, but it doesn’t mean someone couldn’t try.

If she likes to con or take advantage of people, my guess is she is wanting access so she can con people at the VFW or AL.  Either with hard luck stories, or how they remind her of her dad and later needs help, or maybe she’s looking to be someones (or several peoples) “girlfriend” so they give her stuff or take care of her.

If you know she is shady, be polite and don’t give her anything.  Direct her to your Dad.

• Hook 'Em 1

In the end the scan that I sent her was essentially decorative. As his daughter, my aunt can easily get access to the forms she'd need to get her into the ALA. I can't prevent her from doing that, and if she is going to try and run a sugar daddy scam there or something similar then the poor sucker victim must be damn near deaf and blind. On the positive side at least the Legion will get her forty bucks dues.

6 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

What the hell are these things? During my road trips around west Texas I see these things everywhere. I call them water squares but guess they have something to do with the oil and gas industry.

watersquare.png

Produced water pits. In oil and gas production, a lot of water comes up with the hydrocarbons, particularly with new wells that have been fracked.  That water is put into those pits. Usually it’s re-injected into old, depleted formations.  

What's with the proliferation on Twitter of threads like "What's you favorite color of Kool-aid?" or "Besides Forest Gump, what is the best Tom Hanks movie?"
Is there a monetization of clicks?  Some of them are just straight up dumb.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:47 PM, nnm said:

Produced water pits. In oil and gas production, a lot of water comes up with the hydrocarbons, particularly with new wells that have been fracked.  That water is put into those pits. Usually it’s re-injected into old, depleted formations.  

And presumably winds up in someone’s drinking water. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And presumably winds up in someone’s drinking water. 

No, don’t believe the hype. The overwhelming majority of produced water is injected in formations thousands of feet deeper than shallow water drinking aquifers. There is no possibility of communication. 
In some isolated cases in very old producing regions, some hydrocarbons have migrated up old well bores into drinking water aquifers. But it’s literally a few cases. 
When you see the videos of someone lighting their tap water on fire it’s because they live in an oil and gas producing area and hydrocarbons seep in those areas. Not because of development, but because that’s what hydrocarbons do. 
Millions of tarballs wash up on beaches every day. They’re due to natural seeps in the ocean floor, completely unrelated to oil and gas development. 
If you’re really worried about hydrocarbon contamination, you should be an advocate for collecting all of it as efficiently as possible and disposing of it as responsibly as possible. Otherwise, it’s just sitting there polluting dear old Mother Earth. 
Drill baby drill. The environmentalist’s new motto. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...

Just learned I'm having breakfast tomorrow at Waffle House.  It occurred to me that they make a lot of different things and will customize and so I wonder...

How do I order migas? 

I'm going with "Hash scattered and smothered and covered, hold the hash add scramble, add doritos, scratch the raisin toast and slide me a tortilla on the side." unless someone has a better plan.

35 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Just learned I'm having breakfast tomorrow at Waffle House.  It occurred to me that they make a lot of different things and will customize and so I wonder...

How do I order migas? 

I'm going with "Hash scattered and smothered and covered, hold the hash add scramble, add doritos, scratch the raisin toast and slide me a tortilla on the side." unless someone has a better plan.

I mean, if you insist on being "that guy" and creating a dish they don't serve, then I would get the two scrambled egg breakfast, smothered, covered, peppered and diced. I'm assuming you've done research to know that they have doritos (gross) so you could get a bag of doritos, crumble them into the mess of gross you just ordered. I don't think the cooks are gonna open a single-serving bag of doritos and do that for you. Or if you're committed to Frankensteining your order up, throw some tortilla chips in your pocket instead and bring them into the restaurant instead of crumbling a bag of doritos into the mess. Sub tortillas (if they serve them) for toast. Boom. You've got shitty migas.

Or you could order something they're not gonna fuck up... 

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I mean, if you insist on being "that guy" and creating a dish they don't serve, then I would get the two scrambled egg breakfast, smothered, covered, peppered and diced. I'm assuming you've done research to know that they have doritos (gross) so you could get a bag of doritos, crumble them into the mess of gross you just ordered. I don't think the cooks are gonna open a single-serving bag of doritos and do that for you. Or if you're committed to Frankensteining your order up, throw some tortilla chips in your pocket instead and bring them into the restaurant instead of crumbling a bag of doritos into the mess. Sub tortillas (if they serve them) for toast. Boom. You've got shitty migas.

Or you could order something they're not gonna fuck up... 

You gonna call me dumb in the dumb question thread?

Educate me, please, on American Legion Auxiliary membership. As in, why would someone want to suddenly join late in life, what are the benefits, etc.? I understand the basic purpose of AL and VFW as essentially fraternal organizations for ex-military/veterans and to raise money, do some good in the community, etc. But what benefit would an Auxiliary member get from joining?
Backstory: my 68 YO aunt --who has been a lifelong fuckup and con-artist-- reached out to me via FB Messenger yesterday asking if I had my Grampa's WWII dog tags or military papers that had his SSN on it. She was DESPERATE to join American Legion Auxillary in Florida and said that she needed a DD214 (which the military didn't issue until the '50s) so she needed her dad's SSN to get this form. She asked my dad (her older brother; they hate one another) for this info and although I know he has the tags he lied, told her he didn't, and to contact Fort Snelling in MN where their parents are both buried to see what info she can get that would prove his military service. Grampa died ten years ago, and Gramma followed 3 years later. My dad and his sister settled their humble estate and have had almost no contact since. My grandparents had 4 children total. My dad was the firstborn. Then came my uncle (died of cancer in his 60s when his parents were still alive), another aunt (died in '63 at 13 of Lupus), and con-artist aunt. At a very young age she learned to capitalize on the death of her sister and being the only daughter, and over the course of her the next 50+ years she'd use that sadness & guilt to go to her dad & get help--usually cash--whenever she needed it, which was monthly if not weekly. Gramma admitted to me before her death that she disagreed with Grampa giving her so much money over the years. My grandparents were both children of the Great Depression. Grampa worked at a power plant as a maintenance supervisor after WWII and made an honest living. They were comfortable but certainly not rich. Gramma told me with some shame that they had given my aunt north of $150K in cash over the years plus two gently used cars over the years. My dad & his brother saw much of this & it chapped both of their asses. This still didn't prevent my aunt from declaring bankruptcy in the '00s. My dad took great joy in telling her that "the bank of Bob and Martha is officially CLOSED" when he completed his duties as executor & all accounts were settled.
Anyway, back to the other day. I told my aunt that I had a copy of his WWII honorable discharge papers that included his Army serial number, an 8-digit ID. I scanned her a copy of the front of this paper only (not the back which contained more personal info). It has his name, the serial number, and date of discharge (11/4/45 at Camp Hood, Texas). It was about an hour after I sent this I get a nervous call from my dad warning me that she might want some info about Grampa and to not give her anything. Fuck. Too late. So I get an earful from the old man just because. Now, I didn't provide her anything of importance or that she couldn't have likely gotten on her own as his daughter. I believe the Army serial numbers have no value. And even if she somehow got his SSN out of this, that would have locked as soon as my Gramma received the transfer of benefits on his death.
So now that I've lost everyone with this long diatribe, did I fuck up? I can't imagine that even if she has enough documentation to join the AL Aux in FL that she can do anything nefarious or benefit in any significant way. Maybe she's trying to find a way to rent a cheap hall for her equally fucked up son & daughter to use for a wedding. Or maybe she'll finally marry her fiancee of over a decade, the guy who is the father of their 25 YO daughter. Oh wait. He's still married to his first wife and living in MN (not a bad plan for him; he only has to visit my aunt once or twice a year).

No clue about your fucked up aunt, but I joined the VFW when our local bar went tits up and the VFW canteen was the closest watering hole to my house.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Jimbaround said:

What does “imo” in the wine thread mean? I know it means in my opinion, but how does that translate to a wine/grape?. What am I missing?

This is the perfect post for this thread…imo.

6 hours ago, Rudiger said:

Seeing that Texas baseball was playing Incarnate Word, I found myself wondering once again “how can a word be incarnate”? 

Catholics, help me out here. 

Not Catholic, but went to the source.. 

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." 

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." 

John 1:1, 14 (KJV) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Not Catholic, but went to the source.. 

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." 

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." 

John 1:1, 14 (KJV) 

Quick follow up question. What the fuck does THAT mean?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

Quick follow up question. What the fuck does THAT mean?

It means that God is pre-existent and eternal, not created. He created all, and the Word of God IS God. When in the fullness of time He became incarnate in the person of Jesus, the Word of God became incarnate in that Person, a coexistent, co-equal part of the Trinity. Not a different person, entity, or God, but a different manifestation of the eternal God. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, nnm said:

It means that God is pre-existent and eternal, not created. He created all, and the Word of God IS God. When in the fullness of time He became incarnate in the person of Jesus, the Word of God became incarnate in that Person, a coexistent, co-equal part of the Trinity. Not a different person, entity, or God, but a different manifestation of the eternal God. 

Right, but what does "the Word of God IS God" mean?

16 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

What does “imo” in the wine thread mean? I know it means in my opinion, but how does that translate to a wine/grape?. What am I missing?

Legitimate question. It happens in the beer thread too and doesn’t make sense.

3 hours ago, nnm said:

Hallelujah. Holy shit. Pass the Tylenol. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I haven’t  been to the wine thread but imo probably just means “in my opinion”. 

What does that have to do with wine? It’s not my opinion I’m drinking a Cabernet, it’s a fact.

I’m inserting logic where it doesn’t belong aren’t I?

33 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

What does that have to do with wine? It’s not my opinion I’m drinking a Cabernet, it’s a fact.

I’m inserting logic where it doesn’t belong aren’t I?

It all started with one jackass poster, HenryGandorf?  No someone else, but they post in the burger thread all the time and every single post ends with imo.  It's nonsensical and best just to ignore it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The playin games for the NCAA tournament... I still don't like them, but I at least understand playing in for a 16 seed.

Why is there a playin for the 10 seeds? If they are both 10 seeds, shouldn't they both be in and take the place of a lower seeded team?

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The playin games for the NCAA tournament... I still don't like them, but I at least understand playing in for a 16 seed.

Why is there a playin for the 10 seeds? If they are both 10 seeds, shouldn't they both be in and take the place of a lower seeded team?

automatic bids... lower seed but guaranteed a spot

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut