Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

I think she did, and then she came back out/forced out to be arrested or some shit.  It's amazing 1.5 years later, they're still unpacking that shitshow/debacle.  Police suddenly dumbfounded after 18 months of debriefing that kids chose to remain still/quiet instead of lighting off flares and shouting "HERE I AM!"  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Jesus. Hearing the words of actual kids in those classrooms. 

I'm ashamed that our response to something like this is... *crickets* It's disgusting.

We've decided that this is a worthy price to pay for allowing people to have weapons of war:

image.png.a9a53183995db971a8cae707fcd6888f.png

image.png.b7935cd1e9772243f499b5da41627ba1.png

image.png.f61961fcfca50f0bb514fe6da311832c.png

Jesus fuck. This would have wrecked me before I had kids. But, now that I have a daughter, all I feel is rage.

How anyone reading this doesn't immediately conclude that we HAVE to do something major to stop this is beyond me. I don't care whether you think it will work or not, let's fucking try it. Try something. How is this acceptable in America?

Otherwise, just admit that you don't care unless it's your kids and keep hiding behind "well, I'm not a one issue voter" as if some combination of policies (i.e. the ones that you think will make you the most money) is more important that this. Cowards.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

How anyone reading this doesn't immediately conclude that we HAVE to do something major to stop this is beyond me. I don't care whether you think it will work or not, let's fucking try it. Try something. How is this acceptable in America?

Otherwise, just admit that you don't care unless it's your kids and keep hiding behind "well, I'm not a one issue voter" as if some combination of policies (i.e. the ones that you think will make you the most money) is more important that this. Cowards.

Maybe the GOP wants this - wants people scared.  The fact that they don't really want to touch the mental health system or push better red flag laws that could cut down on a lot/most of these shootings, and that would relieve the pressure to ban guns, is very interesting.

It's not like there was Russian money flowing through the NRA or anything as well....

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Screenshot2023-12-05at11_29_35AM.thumb.png.b92ff8781f85da8c95afe09f8ddbf251.png

For non-twitter clickers.

Holy fuck ... this man killed SIX people. In Austin and San Antonio. Yesterday. And it doesn't even rate hardly a mention here on Surlyhorns.

"Police in Austin have arrested a man after a series of shootings that left six people dead and three people injured, including two police officers and a bicyclist, over the course of eight hours.

Austin’s interim police chief, Robin Henderson, said at a news conference early on Wednesday that the violence occurred in two separate incidents across two central Texas communities. He said police were not aware the incidents were connected until after they arrested the man, named as 34-year-old Shane James."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/06/texas-suspect-arrested-austin-violence

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

23 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Didn't Uvalde turn around and vote for Abbott and the GOP at landslide levels? I don't even know what to say about that 

it's not really shocking, fits right in with our resident murder dildo fetishists - 'dead kids are totally worth it, guys!' 

23 hours ago, aggie08 said:

i mean, they already have.

giphy (1) (3).gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe the GOP wants this - wants people scared.  The fact that they don't really want to touch the mental health system or push better red flag laws that could cut down on a lot/most of these shootings, and that would relieve the pressure to ban guns, is very interesting.

It's not like there was Russian money flowing through the NRA or anything as well....

There is no maybe.  This is what they want.

I watched the Frontline episode last night. It's essentially a video version of the Tribune article with having the video interviews instead of quotes. 

I hate to say it, but I can actually see some of the side of the officers. Not 77 fucking minutes worth of their side, but everything about it was a mess.

No clear command, no communication between groups, poor training, a guy who is barricaded with a BFG aimed right at a door, and all the while, it is quiet, lights are out, and no one in the classes is yelling out (because that's what they trained to do). I can see how you might think he is barricaded (long stretches with no shots) and there is no one in the rooms at first. But then you start getting calls from in those classrooms from kids, and even the officer whose wife was shot. How do you just sit... and sit... and sit...?

You could see the adrenaline just ruining critical and clear thinking. It wasn't until way into it that they opened up other classrooms and realize "hey, there are kids... at a school!" They just didn't look. The first classes they clear by busting the outside windows and taking kids out that way, but then a few minutes later they are trying to open another classroom with a master key that won't work. They just keep trying until finally the idea hits that "hey, let's bust out the window like we did on the other rooms." Very much tunnel vision.

I watched the Frontline episode last night. It's essentially a video version of the Tribune article with having the video interviews instead of quotes. 

I hate to say it, but I can actually see some of the side of the officers. Not 77 fucking minutes worth of their side, but everything about it was a mess.

No clear command, no communication between groups, poor training, a guy who is barricaded with a BFG aimed right at a door, and all the while, it is quiet, lights are out, and no one in the classes is yelling out (because that's what they trained to do). I can see how you might think he is barricaded (long stretches with no shots) and there is no one in the rooms at first. But then you start getting calls from in those classrooms from kids, and even the officer whose wife was shot. How do you just sit... and sit... and sit...?

You could see the adrenaline just ruining critical and clear thinking. It wasn't until way into it that they opened up other classrooms and realize "hey, there are kids... at a school!" They just didn't look. The first classes they clear by busting the outside windows and taking kids out that way, but then a few minutes later they are trying to open another classroom with a master key that won't work. They just keep trying until finally the idea hits that "hey, let's bust out the window like we did on the other rooms." Very much tunnel vision.

Need access to a room that is locked, but has an exterior wall? Easy. Every cop car has those push bars on the front. Smash into the wall. Yes, there’s some risk of people inside being hurt by debris. But it’s a dynamic entry that will surely throw the shooter off balance.
“Brisket, get me in that room.” There’s multiple ways to do it. Let’s pick one, and do it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Need access to a room that is locked, but has an exterior wall? Easy. Every cop car has those push bars on the front. Smash into the wall. Yes, there’s some risk of people inside being hurt by debris. But it’s a dynamic entry that will surely throw the shooter off balance.
“Brisket, get me in that room.” There’s multiple ways to do it. Let’s pick one, and do it.

I don't think there were many cop cars there.

I mean at least you could hold a damn phone up to the window to get a video of what the room looks like, right?

2 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Protect and Serve should be replaced with “Get home safe to our families”

I don’t understand how members of the Uvalde PD are able to walk in that community without being called cowards every day.

They harassed at least one of the moms that made them look bad by going in after her kid while they waited outside for weeks at least.  You can bet your ass they'd beat the shit out of (at the very least) anyone who called them a coward.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't think there were many cop cars there.

You can smash through a basic brick wall with a honda civic.  Or fuck, any of the big-ass pickups several of those cops surely drove to the scene.

As an emergency responder, you are presented with a problem.  Your job is to solve it.  Use all tools available, think creatively.  "Get me into that classroom, without using the obvious doorway."  Done.

42 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Or Wednesday in America. Multiple victims being reported.

One thing's for sure -- we can all rest easy that our conservative leadership around the country is taking bold action to protect the people from being turned into perforated chunks of shredded meat by.....banning books and making it criminal for trans people to go to public bathrooms.

And in multiple states, a majority of people vote for that shit.

We're beyond saving.

And we get what we deserve.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You can smash through a basic brick wall with a honda civic.  Or fuck, any of the big-ass pickups several of those cops surely drove to the scene.

As an emergency responder, you are presented with a problem.  Your job is to solve it.  Use all tools available, think creatively.  "Get me into that classroom, without using the obvious doorway."  Done.

I love that movie. Of course it would work

spacer.png

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Get me into that classroom, without using the obvious doorway."  Done.

THE PRESIDENT:  Yeah.  We thought, for three days, this is what was going to happen.  It was actually — look, nobody was even hurt.  Our K-9, as they call — I call it a dog, a beautiful dog, a talented dog — was injured and brought back.  But we had no soldier injured.  And they did a lot of shooting, and they did a lot of blasting, even not going through the front door.  You know, you would think you go through the door.  If you’re a normal person, you say, “Knock, knock.  May I come in?”  The fact is that they blasted their way into the house and a very heavy wall, and it took them literally seconds.  By the time those things went off, they had a beautiful, big hole, and they ran in and they got everybody by surprise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

THE PRESIDENT:  Yeah.  We thought, for three days, this is what was going to happen.  It was actually — look, nobody was even hurt.  Our K-9, as they call — I call it a dog, a beautiful dog, a talented dog — was injured and brought back.  But we had no soldier injured.  And they did a lot of shooting, and they did a lot of blasting, even not going through the front door.  You know, you would think you go through the door.  If you’re a normal person, you say, “Knock, knock.  May I come in?”  The fact is that they blasted their way into the house and a very heavy wall, and it took them literally seconds.  By the time those things went off, they had a beautiful, big hole, and they ran in and they got everybody by surprise.

Oh FFS.  I'd forgotten all about that.

I hate this timeline so much.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:22 AM, wildcat09 said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/05/uvalde-officer-student-trainings-mass-shootings/

Too long to quote entirely, but jesus christ.  Seriously, why do we have cops if this is what we get? 

I'm somewhat in disbelief at this point that none of the police who abandoned their duty to protect those children that day have killed themselves. Are most of them even ashamed?

On 12/6/2023 at 1:30 AM, YGIFS said:

The children were being too quiet?  That's the new excuse?  Remember that "Band of Brothers" episode during the Battle of the Bulge where all the paratroopers were instructed to yell and scream and light fires and wave their arms to the Germans at night to completely give away their position?  Yeah, I guessed I missed that one, too.

As stated above, it is absolutely as insane to me as the shooting itself that not one of these officers has taken the honorable way out and swallowed a bullet in a parking lot somewhere.  They all walk past each other every single day and they all know what went down and somehow they go about their lives like nothing happened.  That is so fucking bizarre to me.  I mean, a handful of cops that may see each other once a month is one thing.  But this is hundreds and hundreds of cops who all live/work/shop in the same areas every single fucking day.  How the fuck do you carry on like that?  How do they look at their children and their wives with that shame?  They should enter some kinda murder-suicide pact and at least be a man about it all...

It takes a certain amount of courage to kill yourself. Something almost all of the law enforcement there, that day in Uvalde, lacked.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:22 AM, wildcat09 said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/05/uvalde-officer-student-trainings-mass-shootings/

Too long to quote entirely, but jesus christ.  Seriously, why do we have cops if this is what we get? 

I'm somewhat in disbelief at this point that none of the police who abandoned their duty to protect those children that day have killed themselves. Are most of them even ashamed?

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Somebody was blasting away in San Antonio and Austin, so I thought I'd check in.

First, I don't have children nor am I particularly partial to them. Second, I'm not trained in combat or police action. Lastly, I'm also not particularly brave as far as anyone can tell. It's rarely been tested in my soft suburban white boy life.

However:

image.png.42b74292009b2b66584b63c09cff2735.png

What do you mean you could not create a distraction? There were two doors and multiple windows, you chickenshit motherfucker. With only slight coordination, you could have "breeched" the room from multiple directions covering both rooms.

"Both rooms." There was one shooter and two rooms he had to defend. If you assault in the simple way as described above, you know you will secure one of those rooms from anymore violence.

Shattering glass and two doors being attacked is at least as good as your flashbangs, Officer Military Jargon Sans Military Guts. 

I'd hope I'd have the courage to take this relatively high percentage chance of survival action to act against a man perpetrating a massacre of children all seemingly braver and more worthwhile than I might be. It goes double for the teachers.

If I didn't, I'd hope I'd have shame enough to absolutely prostrate myself before the survivors prior to doing myself in. I'm sure that I'd never sleep again without heavy narcotics.

Pictures of these fucking cowards who stole money from the government hoping they'd never have to earn it should be run on TV, the Internet, and whatever other outlet there may be on the anniversary of their disgrace.

I don't care if the killer is taking out kids, grandparents, rich people, or immigrants: you must act. If you don't act, don't defend your inaction. If you defend your action, I hope you live that day every time you shut your eyes to sleep.

It's this over emphasis on officer safety that has been bent to serve needlessly humiliating and brutal protocols for simple arrests and opening fire on mean-looking negroes. I'd have you fuckers wearing hot pink coveralls out on the highways of the state picking up garbage with signs announcing who you are and why you're there.

Sorry not sorry for the rant. I know I'm just venting a fraction of what we all feel. 

How dare these male things appeal for understanding and sympathy?

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Protect and Serve should be replaced with “Get home safe to our families”

I don’t understand how members of the Uvalde PD are able to walk in that community without being called cowards every day.

Because they'd get shot by these same cops. That's why those dickheads applied for the job.

Bullying.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There were already holes in the wall. Windows.

image.png.4f92f2d4af4e6532c3e5bd017b4dd07d.png

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There were already holes in the wall. Windows.

image.png.4f92f2d4af4e6532c3e5bd017b4dd07d.png

What's that photo from? I'd like to see the video.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

14 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

ABC. I didn't watch the video. I was already too triggered.

Wish I didn't. Lots of pictures of those children at the awards ceremony just prior to the shooting.

I can't express the frustration, disgust, and anger at the leaders who do nothing to address this happening again. How those parents have kept it together (if they even have) is amazing to me.

Some absolutely gut-punching victim testimony in Michigan today in the sentencing phase of Ethan Crumbley's trial:

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/ethan-crumbley-sentencing-oxford-shooting-12-08-23/index.html

Oxford High School senior Madeline Johnson was walking with her best friend Madisyn Baldwin until they had to split to go to their respective classes.

"I said goodbye to her and turned around," she said. "I didn't think that the bye was going to be permanent."

That's because moments later, Ethan Crumbley opened fire at students in the school, and Baldwin became one of the four victims of the November 2021 shooting.

"As soon as I started walking in the other direction, I heard the first round of bullets. The pattern of them still plays in my head every single day," Johnson said in her victim impact statement Friday as she stood wearing a shirt that had a doodle that Baldwin drew for her. "This is one of the only things I have left to remember her."

Johnson said she blamed herself for leaving her best friend that day, thinking that would make things different.

For long, she said she didn't believe her best friend was gone. "The moment it really sank in that she was gone forever was the day we had to go back to the high school."

"I sat in my ceramics class — our ceramics class, our favorite class — and I watched as students pulled through the door. And I waited for her to come. I saved her a seat right next to me, and I waited and waited, and I finally realized that she was never coming," she said.

She requested the judge to sentence the shooter with the harshest penalty.

A 14-year-old student who was attending history class at Oxford High School when Ethan Crumbley opened fire said that as the shooting began to unfold, she felt certain that she would be killed.

"I wouldn't be able to hug my parents goodbye as I left for college," she recalled thinking during her victim impact statement. "I thought I was never going to be able to get married because it was all about to end here, here in my history class."

She said the emotional impact of the shooting is ongoing.

"November 30, 2021, I was given my very own life sentence," the student, who is now 16, said. "I was only 14. I'm now sentenced to a lifetime of PTSD. I've spent hundreds of hours in therapy offices."

Her friend Hana St. Juliana was killed in the rampage. "She didn't deserve it," she said.

"Whatever punishment the shooter gets, it will not be enough," she said.

She then addressed Crumbley directly, who remained staring at the floor.

"I will never have an ounce of forgiveness for you," she said. "You're just an insecure, weak, fragile, insecure boy who could not deal with his own problems."
"You didn't rob me of my kind heart, even though I'm sure you wanted to."

Mason and Madisyn Baldwin were cousins, but they were so close, that they were more like siblings, Crystal Baldwin said of their relationship. They rode to Oxford High School every day together until things changed forever when a shooter opened fire in 2021, killing Madisyn.

Baldwin, Mason's mother and Madisyn's aunt, said she called her son right away when she first heard that there was a shooting.

“The words he spoke when he answered will haunt me for the rest of my life. I asked him if he was ok, he said, ‘Mom had I been standing where I was 10 seconds longer, it could have been me’” Baldwin said in court ahead of shooter Ethan Crumbley's sentencing.

She hung up with her son and texted Madisyn who was a senior at Oxford, Baldwin told the court.

“The thought of anything happening to her made me sick to my stomach," Baldwin said.

The family only found out what happened to her hours later.

When Baldwin finally was able to pick up her son after the shooting, he described a body outside the classroom door and blood on his shoes.

They stayed to watch for Madisyn to come off one of the buses from the school, but she never arrived. Officials told her family that Madisyn had been killed.

“Then came the cries and screaming from Madisyn'’s parents,” she said, and called it a “real-life nightmare."

“She knew what she wanted out of her life and what she was going to do once she graduated. She wanted to become a behavioral analyst and study neuroscience. Something she will never have the chance to do," Baldwin said.

Baldwin said while her son Mason will graduate, Madisyn never will. She said her parents attended the graduation ceremony for her class and accepted the diploma on her behalf.

“No child should ever have to experience losing a cousin, friend or daughter ever,” she added.

Linda Watson, whose son Aiden was shot during the Oxford High School shooting, described the horrifying moment she learned what had happened.

"That was a moment I will never forget," she said during her victim impact statement ahead of shooter Ethan Crumbley's sentencing.

"He was screaming 'mom, I've been shot, help me,'" Watson recalled. "I didn't know exactly where he was in school at the time, if the danger was over, or if he was even safe."

She added that "it was snowing that day, so I told him to bury himself in the snow."

Watson described racing to find her son, who had been driven to a nearby business. "Even though it was only minutes, it felt like a lifetime before I found Aiden," she said.

Aiden had been shot in the leg. "There was a lot of blood," his mother said. "It covered his shoe in his pants."

Watson stayed overnight at the hospital with her son. "I was so grateful when he woke up," she said. "I put my head on his chest just to hear his heartbeat, grateful he was alive because some parents didn't have that the next morning."

Aiden has faced a long and painful journey to recover from his injuries, Watson said. In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, he couldn't walk and needed around-the-clock care, including help getting to the toilet or to the shower. He's also experienced emotional aftershocks of the shooting, like debilitating panic attacks.

Watson also described the financial hardships imposed by her son's medical needs.

At one point, "I couldn't stop throwing up because I didn't know if we were going to be okay financially," she said.

Even two years after the massacre, Aiden still hasn't been able to return to school full term because of the emotional and physical impacts of his injuries, Watson said. He still experiences chronic pain and nerve damage.

"My son will have to live with pain, trauma, and limitations because of this forever," she said. "So too, should the shooter have to deal with the consequences of his actions by being incarcerated for the rest of his life."

Aiden Watson was a freshman at Oxford High School when he came out of his Algebra class to see why kids were running in the hallway.

"By the time I realized [there was an active shooter,] I was staring at Tate Myre. He was shot and he died," Watson said in his victim impact statement Friday. "I tried to run into my classroom. I didn't know I got shot until my friend told me I was hit."

Watson said after he made it outside the school, a stranger took him to another location, away from the shooting scene. "It was someone I didn't know and he told me that his kid was in" the high school, Watson said. "Instead of going in there to save his kid, he saved me instead."

During his recovery, Watson said he needed to "change the bandages all the time, and every time, it would peel off my skin and hurt badly."

"I didn't realize that I would never be able to run again without having pain," he said.

"After it happened, I was afraid to be in crowds and loud situations and indoors where I couldn't see how to get out," he added.

Watson told the judge the shooter, Ethan Crumbley, should be sentenced to life without parole. "He should never see the light of day again. He's a horrible human being."

Riley Franz, a survivor who was shot during the Oxford High School shooting, said she will never again be able to experience life like she used to before the attack.

"I mourn the person I used to be because, although I survived, the original pieces of me didn't," Franz said in court Friday ahead of shooter Ethan Crumbley's sentencing. "I will never have the opportunity to experience life like I used to, with so much joy and clarity."

Franz said she used to love attending school, but now she frequently has panic attacks at college.

"Now when I sit at a school, I feel anxious — checking for all my exits, highly in tune with all movements inside and outside the classroom, flinching at every sound from the walking upstairs to a pencil dropping, and counting down the minutes until I feel that I can breathe again," Franz said. "I cannot remember what it's like to feel safe and secure in any space that I occupy."

"I deserved to be a child that day, a student who made it to her class, not someone's target practice," she added.

The day of the shooting started like any other for Oxford High School student Kylie Ossege — until she said she thought a "balloon popped."

"I fell right to the ground. I remember hearing screams. I saw running, but I couldn't run. I was already down," she told the court in her victim impact statement. "I realized what had just happened — I was just shot. I thought I was going to die."

As she laid on the floor, Ossege said she attempted to get up but her legs weren't moving. She said she hit her legs in an attempt to regain any kind of feeling. "But not a single thing," she told the court.

Ossege described feeling warm under her cheek as she laid on the floor. It was the blood-soaked carpet that also made a "squish" sound against her ear.

When she reached her hand over her head, she said she realized it was 14-year-old shooting victim Hana St. Juliana. "I could hear her groaning beside me. Realizing I wasn't alone, I kept trying to reassure her, 'someone will come help us, don't worry, just keep breathing. Just please stay with me.' I said that to her a thousand times."

As they lay there "in loneliness," Ossege described repeating her mother's phone number "to make sure my brain was functioning" and "creating math problems in my head and solving them to make sure I wasn't dying."

Ossege said she spent a week in the intensive care unit (ICU) and five weeks in rehabilitation, learning basic tasks: eating, brushing teeth, showering, getting dressed, walking and climbing stairs.

The bullet had shattered her clavicle, broke two ribs, grazed her spine, causing a spinal cord injury, she said, adding that she underwent surgeries and is still under treatment for it. Since this event, she described not being able to play sports that she loved, returning to her job and walking long distances. Her body, she said, has also lost the ability to keep itself warm or cool according to the temperature outside.

"My life has changed its path entirely," Ossege said.

Reina St. Juliana described the things she had hoped to do with her sister, Hana, as they grew up: go thrifting together, help each other remember songs, go on walks and speak at each other's weddings.

"Instead of speaking at her wedding, I spoke at her funeral. Instead of fishtailing her hair for a game, I curled her hair in a casket," she said.

In her victim impact statement ahead of Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley's sentencing, the older sister spoke about pushing off getting a driving license since her 14-year-old sister would never be able to ride in the passenger seat and having a dull house where "the empty seat at the dining table is the loudest silence I've ever heard."

She also read her mother's victim impact statement.

"Now in my daily life, whenever I see a pair of sisters, I'm sad. When I see other siblings getting along, I'm sad. When I see other mothers and daughters, I'm sad. When I see other families having a good time, I'm sad. When I see others her age having fun, I'm sad. Every day, every moment, every experience, I think of Hana and I'm sad," the statement said.

"I know that the days my eyes are dry will never come," she added. "This is how we will continue to be — surviving, not living."

Ahead of giving his victim impact statement, Craig Shilling, father of 17-year-old Michigan school shooting victim Justin Shilling, told the judge it was the hardest thing he ever had to write, and that the court would hear a condensed version of what he has been working on for months.

"These days, there's not much happiness in the holidays. Birthdays and those milestone days don't carry the special feeling they always used to," he said.

"There are no words to accurately describe the pain we feel on a daily basis. I have PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and struggle most days to even get out of bed. Anxiety, stress, sleepless nights and uncontrolled emotional heartbreak makes even the simplest, most normal things difficult," Craig Shilling said.

"The things I used to find enjoyment in are no longer reliable in that respect," he added, saying activities like golfing, kayaking, bowling and fishing are few of the many things he used to do with his son.

As his voice shook, Craig Shilling said the pain is debilitating, no matter how much you prepare or "how strong you think you are or how big your support network is."

"Time slows down and everything around you speeds up. It's been two years already, but feels much like yesterday. I still find myself waiting up for him to get home for work so we can get a few minutes to chat," he said.

He asked the judge to sentence shooter Ethan Crumbley to the harshest penalty possible — life in prison without parole.

"His blatant lack of human decency and disturbing thoughts on life in general do not in any way warrant a second chance. My son doesn't get a second chance, and neither should he," Craig Shilling said.

• Rage+1 2