Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

Isn’t UT-Dallas ranked higher than aggy in engineering? I believe so. If that is the case, with the full ride your decision is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok I stand corrected on the rankings.

Whatever you do I’d not pay for it. That 100+k is a lot more valuable elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

I mean I transferred into Cockrell from Undergrad studies and I did not miss out even a little bit. For some reason I could take all the freshman EE classes (got As in all of them...but I understand they made them all much harder just a year or so later to be more formidable as weed out classes) without actually being in the Engineering school.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

As a dad who had one older son go to aggy and one to UT for undergrad, I’ll say you need to let him make the decision and then support it. That said, I would try and steer him toward the full ride at UTD. It’s at least as good as aggy, and probably better, but offers the probable option of moving to UT Austin at some point.

• Like 1

Imo take a shot at UT. The difference between UT and A&M is very big. No clue what engineering he's doing, but I'm assuming ECE if he's having trouble getting in with a perfect GPA and a 1500 SAT. I know most of the elite companies don't seriously recruit undergrads at A&M. Most companies will hire a couple masters or PhDs from there but at every elite internship I know, there are almost no A&M undergrad students and where there are some they are dwarfed by the number of Longhorns. Naturally the same pattern continues into full time new grad employment. The network only helps at companies with poor hiring standards that allow nepotism to take place. Like no good company lets one dude make a hiring decision after two hours of talking about A&M or whatever their story is about how great it is.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 2

in favor of the UTD-to-start angle is that the "west campus" experience is no longer what it used to be.

1. the 55/45 ratio disappeared over the past 10 years.

2. the quality of talent is no longer what it was due to the admission standards.

3. 2 & 3 combined together makes the nonstop shagfiesta of our youth a thing of the past.

Harsh sexist #hashtag reality: the lack of easily obtained sex with talent a notch or two above what you could get back home makes the "freshman 40 acres experience" less critical that it used to be.  For guys.

My son graduated high school in 2017. He had a 34 ACT and top 2% of a very competitive burb high school (not a single B, lots of AP), plus NHS (officer), academic All State in football, statewide AD award etc etc etc. Put mechanical and chemical as first two choices and was denied Cockrell and got the typical auto-admit major options....I've never seen him so mad. UT was all he ever wanted and this did not sit well with him. at all There was a dark time where aggy (with some scholly money) was a distinct possibility.

About a week later he got another email from admissions and was offered a spot in environmental engineering, which was a new undergrad program at the time. Wasn't what he wanted but it was in Cockrell. Advisors said internal Cockrell transfers were very doable with good grades. He accepted that spot and transferred to petroleum after one semester and a 3.8. Got an internship for his first summer, which was great experience. Had over a dozen interviews and 6 offers at the fall job fair for this summer. He has some high school friends at aggy that are in engineering with 4.0 or close to it that can't get internships.

I was skeptical  about him joining a frat but it has been great for him. Grades are stressed and he has made great connections. Holds an office in the frat and he said it comes up in his interviews quite a bit, and it gives him some nice perks as well. It's expensive but has paid dividends.              

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Laughable Losers said:

Interesting. Congratulations on the Aerospace spot, that's THE most competitive major at UT.

He had everything in the first week applications opened. We're still hopeful and we should find out soon I hope...

Thanks.  I have been thinking his essays must have helped him because I can't figure out the reasoning he got it and others didn't (And I'm not Surly 1%; I don't have the cash to have bought his way in like those people in the news LMAO). 

I got him to trolling the job notices at NASA, JPL, SpaceX, ULA, etc. last year and he zeroed in on exactly what he thinks he wants to do (cryogenic rocket engines) and he worked that in.  

He did check out A&M, and he was impressed with their aerospace program and how they seemed to have it together. The funny thing is that program seeming good killed any thought of him going there because the rest of the school stood out as clownish.  Now he may have been pre-wired to think so, but I think he was serious about giving them a chance.  

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

As a dad who had one older son go to aggy and one to UT for undergrad, I’ll say you need to let him make the decision and then support it. That said, I would try and steer him toward the full ride at UTD. It’s at least as good as aggy, and probably better, but offers the probable option of moving to UT Austin at some point.

I worked in the Admissions department at UTD unti recently (on the IT side) and can confirm UTD is better than aggy.  Was there for five years and every year the recruiters at UTD got more and more disdainful of aggy and how they admitted everybody who showed up.  And more and more irritated at UT Austin for stealing their best best recruits, lol.  They are definitely on the rise.

Edited by Zharkov

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

in favor of the UTD-to-start angle is that the "west campus" experience is no longer what it used to be.

1. the 55/45 ratio disappeared over the past 10 years.

2. the quality of talent is no longer what it was due to the admission standards.

3. 2 & 3 combined together makes the nonstop shagfiesta of our youth a thing of the past.

Harsh sexist #hashtag reality: the lack of easily obtained sex with talent a notch or two above what you could get back home makes the "freshman 40 acres experience" less critical that it used to be.  For guys.

Whatever the talent at UT is the talent at UTD is worse. 

7 hours ago, Laughable Losers said:

I have a question for the board.

My wife and I (as well as most of our extended family) are lifetime Longhorns.

My son is a Senior at LT in Austin, ranked in the top 5%, so auto admitted into UT. Scored in the 1500's on his SAT. Accepted into Engineering schools at UC Berkeley, UCLA, Georgia Tech, UT Dallas (with a Full Ride Scholarship)

He wants to major in Engineering, but hasn't been accepted into the Cockrell Engineering School...yet

Here's the dilemma. He has just been accepted into aggy Honors Engineering College with almost a full ride scholarship.

Options:

A. Do I accept the fact that I may have an aggy son, since it will save us at least a $100,000 in education costs

B. Do I forbid him from going to aggy, even though he is okay with it? (not that I could really do this)

C. Do we convince him to go to UT anyway if he doesn't get into Cockrell and hope he can transfer in eventually

D. Do I just grab a rope and hang myself from the UT Tower

This kid has had Straight A's from middle school and has taken every AP class possible. Volunteers almost weekly.

I would tell him to go to Berkeley, and I say this as an EE grad from UT. Having worked in a Silicon Valley I can tell you that Berkeley degree will open all kinds of doors for him. Yes it's more expensive but well worth the investment. 

11 hours ago, Laughable Losers said:

I have a question for the board.

My wife and I (as well as most of our extended family) are lifetime Longhorns.

My son is a Senior at LT in Austin, ranked in the top 5%, so auto admitted into UT. Scored in the 1500's on his SAT. Accepted into Engineering schools at UC Berkeley, UCLA, Georgia Tech, UT Dallas (with a Full Ride Scholarship)

He wants to major in Engineering, but hasn't been accepted into the Cockrell Engineering School...yet

Here's the dilemma. He has just been accepted into aggy Honors Engineering College with almost a full ride scholarship.

Options:

A. Do I accept the fact that I may have an aggy son, since it will save us at least a $100,000 in education costs

B. Do I forbid him from going to aggy, even though he is okay with it? (not that I could really do this)

C. Do we convince him to go to UT anyway if he doesn't get into Cockrell and hope he can transfer in eventually

D. Do I just grab a rope and hang myself from the UT Tower

This kid has had Straight A's from middle school and has taken every AP class possible. Volunteers almost weekly.

straight trollin bro, nice try aggy

9 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

My son graduated high school in 2017. He had a 34 ACT and top 2% of a very competitive burb high school (not a single B, lots of AP), plus NHS (officer), academic All State in football, statewide AD award etc etc etc. Put mechanical and chemical as first two choices and was denied Cockrell and got the typical auto-admit major options....I've never seen him so mad. UT was all he ever wanted and this did not sit well with him. at all There was a dark time where aggy (with some scholly money) was a distinct possibility.

About a week later he got another email from admissions and was offered a spot in environmental engineering, which was a new undergrad program at the time. Wasn't what he wanted but it was in Cockrell. Advisors said internal Cockrell transfers were very doable with good grades. He accepted that spot and transferred to petroleum after one semester and a 3.8. Got an internship for his first summer, which was great experience. Had over a dozen interviews and 6 offers at the fall job fair for this summer. He has some high school friends at aggy that are in engineering with 4.0 or close to it that can't get internships.

I was skeptical  about him joining a frat but it has been great for him. Grades are stressed and he has made great connections. Holds an office in the frat and he said it comes up in his interviews quite a bit, and it gives him some nice perks as well. It's expensive but has paid dividends.              

that's all well and good, but what kind of trim has he been bringing around the past few summers?

• Like 1

Plenty of time. Wait until you have all the information.
If he has to go to A&M just remember there is plenty of room for more 2%ers on campus and when you are in engineering, you are too damn busy to be indoctrinated. I never attended so few UT football games than when I was grinding through the Cockrell School.

Sheeet. I know plenty of aggy chode injuneers.
Most of em plenty dumbass made via aggy

I like how:

a) Liucci has to keep it vague in terms of the last time A&M hired a coach from a "high major" because he doesn't fucking know, because Aggies don't care about their basketball program

b) Hiring the coach of one of the worst "high major" programs in college basketball is some sort of major coup. Tech hasn't won a conference title since 1960 or been as far as the Sweet 16 in more than fifty years. That's like hiring Vanderbilt's football coach. 

If Buzz Williams goes to A&M, it's because there's so little competition in the SEC. A&M and Virginia Tech are both shit jobs, but A&M's a shit job in a conference full of shit basketball programs. Virginia Tech has to compete with Duke, Carolina, Louisville, and Syracuse, all of whom are blueblood-level programs, plus basketball-first schools like Virginia and NC State. 

I said on the hoops thread that I would be mildly surprised if Williams took that job because it's such a lateral move. I am sure it will pay more, but at this stage of his career, if he had national championship aspirations (real ones, not the bullshit ones every Aggie coach says he has when hired), I expect he'd be more selective in making his next move. His time for stepping stones is over-- I really doubt he's going to want to keep job-hopping and leave A&M for a better job in four years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

My niece Joan got accepted to Yale and a few other top schools but got rejected by Texas with no explanation as to why, man was she pissed, her sister got rejected by aggy but got accepted to Texas and Texas Tech.

Have they been able to turn the lights on at Pyle Field yet?

They’re too busy trying get indoor plumbing at Listeria Park.

COLLEGE STATION — A busted water pipe shut down restrooms and concessions in Blue Bell Park before SEC action ever cranked up on Friday night.

A couple of hours later, things really flowed downhill for Texas A&M.

Top-ranked Vanderbilt defeated the Aggies 7-4 before a legs-crossed, fidgety crowd suddenly relying on hauled in port-o-potties on a chilly Friday night in the teams' league opener.

https://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Vanderbilt-whizzes-past-Texas-A-M-in-SEC-opener-13693236.php
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Player said:

They’re too busy trying get indoor plumbing at Listeria Park.

COLLEGE STATION — A busted water pipe shut down restrooms and concessions in Blue Bell Park before SEC action ever cranked up on Friday night.

A couple of hours later, things really flowed downhill for Texas A&M.

Top-ranked Vanderbilt defeated the Aggies 7-4 before a legs-crossed, fidgety crowd suddenly relying on hauled in port-o-potties on a chilly Friday night in the teams' league opener.

https://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Vanderbilt-whizzes-past-Texas-A-M-in-SEC-opener-13693236.php

Got a chuckle from the article's title.