• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This reminds me about their caterwauling in the 1998 Ricky game.  Pre-noon kickoff, it had been raining off and on that morning, but clearly we were watering the field and they didn't come prepared with the proper cleats.

I mean, my wife and I had beers for breakfast at Scholz Garden and had our fucking umbrellas with us.  Never change, you stupid rednecks.

Yeah that one made zero sense because it was clearly drizzling that morning. And oh yeah, we had Ricky Fucking Williams on our team. He was either going to run by you or run over you, and maybe both.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Liucci: Jimbo Fisher's extension will be another 'bargain' for Texas A&M

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

Key notes from Billy Liucci interview

You're going to see this contract be 10 years, starting from now, with an average right around $9 million per year. You're starting the existing deal over with a significant raise to make him the second-highest paid coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban and one of the highest-paid in college football. This is a great deal. We're going to look at it again as a great bargain.

We've been talking about it for the last three years and how wrong people were the first time. Now they're doing it again. People don't seem to understand the no-buyout thing, and that makes me laugh. The buyout is $9 million a year, $90 million guaranteed.

Nick Saban doesn't look like he's going to retire anytime soon, but say Alabama comes after Jimbo Fisher in three years when Saban is done. That's the only school that could take Fisher with the money that Texas A&M is paying. If Alabama does that, it means the next three years have been really good in Aggieland.

A buyout does nothing. When was the last time a school didn't hire a coach they wanted because of a buyout? Do you think a one-year buyout, another $9 million, would keep A&M from going to get a coach? The buyout is $90 million. It also keeps the coach here. It's like the SEC not having a grant of rights. The SEC basically says, "You want to leave? Go."

I don't think there is any danger of Fisher leaving. The danger is losing money.

If it doesn't work, you lose money. Everyone is making a big deal about it, but it's like me and Olin living in the same neighborhood. If I saw him driving a Maserati, that's Olin's business. Not mine. The way the media is acting would be like me walking around the neighborhood calling Olin an idiot for spending that money on a car. Who's the idiot in that scenario?

A&M is three years into this, and they have a pretty good idea of what they're investing in. People are saying it's only one good year, but it's not. It's one great year and three years of progress. Jimbo's first year was a nice, strong season. They finished ranked and won a bowl game, playing great football at the end of the year. His third year was a top-five finish, an Orange Bowl championship and a legitimate argument to be in the playoff.

In 12 years as a coach, Fisher has a national title, a playoff berth and another top-five finish. He probably has five top-ten finishes in 12 years to go along with that. At what point do you look at that resume and say that Fisher is an elite head coach in this game? He is. It's not debatable. Texas A&M has a coach that is among the very best, the top five, in this game.

If you look at what Fisher is doing in recruiting and don't feel extremely confident in your investment, I don't know what to tell you.Regarding the timing, coaches don't like negotiating during the season. What if Texas A&M reached the playoff this year and LSU spiraled? I think Texas A&M did the right thing. We got our guy, and he's locked up for as long as he wants to coach.This guy won a national title. He won 27 of 28 games with Jameis Winston in 2013 and 2014. People want to say it was all Winston, but you can't take away a guy's best player. If you take away Vince Young, what did Mack Brown do? Take away Joe Burrow, Ed O doesn't win a championship.

I know what Dan Mullen has done, and I know what Jim Harbaugh has done. What in the hell have they done that Jimbo hasn't done? Mullen won a New Year's Six game, and Florida caught some criticism for that extension. The blowback shows how big the spotlight is on Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher.

For the people that say A&M isn't relevant, you're hearing most of that from Texas, Oklahoma and some from LSU. They're whining fake tough guys.

If you say a negative thing about Oklahoma, the Sooners go insane. Somebody asked me if I'd rather have Lincoln Riley or Jimbo at Texas A&M, at the answer is Jimbo. Riley is a good coach, but he coaches in a league where he has five times the talent as anybody he plays. They're both good coaches, but it's apples to oranges. Jimbo Fisher is a great fit at Texas A&M.

Texas might be the most delusional fanbase in American sports. They're loud on Twitter. They get these talking points, and no matter how bad their team is or how good things are going in College Station, they cannot come off their talking points. How much money did they pay to fire Herman and hire Steve Sarkisian? We know what Sark has done. You want to boil it down to Fisher not winning a title in three years? You spent $75 million to hire Sarkisian.

LSU is just scared. They had that great year and smoked the Aggies in 2019, but they've lost two of three to Texas A&M. Jimbo Fisher is the guy they've tried to hire twice. Ed Orgeron is a trainwreck of a coach, and they know it. They were hoping they could possibly hire Fisher at some point, and the Aggies just put up a wall around College Station.

A day ago, what was the big cry coming out of Austin, Baton Rouge and Norman? That Fisher would be in Baton Rouge in a year. That was the battle cry from those three fanbases, and they wouldn't shut up about it. Today, 10 years and $90 million later, A&M is stupid for paying it? It's a constantly moving target.

I am not sure what is more surprising - How stupid Looch is or how many sycophantic gomers don't realize how stupid Looch is.

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I am not sure what is more surprising - How stupid Looch is or how many sycophantic gomers don't realize how stupid Looch is.

tallest midget phenomena. Looch may not be the smartest guy around, but he's smarter than the rest of those fucking rubes who pay him every month to tell them exactly what they want to hear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

You're going to see this contract be 10 years, starting from now, with an average right around $9 million per year. You're starting the existing deal over with a significant raise to make him the second-highest paid coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban and one of the highest-paid in college football. This is a great deal. We're going to look at it again as a great bargain.

We've been talking about it for the last three years and how wrong people were the first time. Now they're doing it again. People don't seem to understand the no-buyout thing, and that makes me laugh. The buyout is $9 million a year, $90 million guaranteed.

Nick Saban doesn't look like he's going to retire anytime soon, but say Alabama comes after Jimbo Fisher in three years when Saban is done. That's the only school that could take Fisher with the money that Texas A&M is paying. If Alabama does that, it means the next three years have been really good in Aggieland.

A buyout does nothing. When was the last time a school didn't hire a coach they wanted because of a buyout? Do you think a one-year buyout, another $9 million, would keep A&M from going to get a coach? The buyout is $90 million. It also keeps the coach here. It's like the SEC not having a grant of rights. The SEC basically says, "You want to leave? Go."

I don't think there is any danger of Fisher leaving. The danger is losing money.

If it doesn't work, you lose money. Everyone is making a big deal about it, but it's like me and Olin living in the same neighborhood. If I saw him driving a Maserati, that's Olin's business. Not mine. The way the media is acting would be like me walking around the neighborhood calling Olin an idiot for spending that money on a car. Who's the idiot in that scenario?

A&M is three years into this, and they have a pretty good idea of what they're investing in. People are saying it's only one good year, but it's not. It's one great year and three years of progress. Jimbo's first year was a nice, strong season. They finished ranked and won a bowl game, playing great football at the end of the year. His third year was a top-five finish, an Orange Bowl championship and a legitimate argument to be in the playoff.

In 12 years as a coach, Fisher has a national title, a playoff berth and another top-five finish. He probably has five top-ten finishes in 12 years to go along with that. At what point do you look at that resume and say that Fisher is an elite head coach in this game? He is. It's not debatable. Texas A&M has a coach that is among the very best, the top five, in this game.

If you look at what Fisher is doing in recruiting and don't feel extremely confident in your investment, I don't know what to tell you.Regarding the timing, coaches don't like negotiating during the season. What if Texas A&M reached the playoff this year and LSU spiraled? I think Texas A&M did the right thing. We got our guy, and he's locked up for as long as he wants to coach.This guy won a national title. He won 27 of 28 games with Jameis Winston in 2013 and 2014. People want to say it was all Winston, but you can't take away a guy's best player. If you take away Vince Young, what did Mack Brown do? Take away Joe Burrow, Ed O doesn't win a championship.

I know what Dan Mullen has done, and I know what Jim Harbaugh has done. What in the hell have they done that Jimbo hasn't done? Mullen won a New Year's Six game, and Florida caught some criticism for that extension. The blowback shows how big the spotlight is on Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher.

For the people that say A&M isn't relevant, you're hearing most of that from Texas, Oklahoma and some from LSU. They're whining fake tough guys.

If you say a negative thing about Oklahoma, the Sooners go insane. Somebody asked me if I'd rather have Lincoln Riley or Jimbo at Texas A&M, at the answer is Jimbo. Riley is a good coach, but he coaches in a league where he has five times the talent as anybody he plays. They're both good coaches, but it's apples to oranges. Jimbo Fisher is a great fit at Texas A&M.

Texas might be the most delusional fanbase in American sports. They're loud on Twitter. They get these talking points, and no matter how bad their team is or how good things are going in College Station, they cannot come off their talking points. How much money did they pay to fire Herman and hire Steve Sarkisian? We know what Sark has done. You want to boil it down to Fisher not winning a title in three years? You spent $75 million to hire Sarkisian.

LSU is just scared. They had that great year and smoked the Aggies in 2019, but they've lost two of three to Texas A&M. Jimbo Fisher is the guy they've tried to hire twice. Ed Orgeron is a trainwreck of a coach, and they know it. They were hoping they could possibly hire Fisher at some point, and the Aggies just put up a wall around College Station.

A day ago, what was the big cry coming out of Austin, Baton Rouge and Norman? That Fisher would be in Baton Rouge in a year. That was the battle cry from those three fanbases, and they wouldn't shut up about it. Today, 10 years and $90 million later, A&M is stupid for paying it? It's a constantly moving target.

Update:

Screenshot_20230912-150609_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

This reminds me about their caterwauling in the 1998 Ricky game.  Pre-noon kickoff, it had been raining off and on that morning, but clearly we were watering the field and they didn't come prepared with the proper cleats.

I mean, my wife and I had beers for breakfast at Scholz Garden and had our fucking umbrellas with us.  Never change, you stupid rednecks.

Yep. I took a rag to dry our seats off that morning and the bench had a layer of water standing on it.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

It's not debatable. Texas A&M has a coach that is among the very best, the top five, in this game.

Whaddaya think now, Billy Boy?

I think Texas A&M did the right thing. We got our guy, and he's locked up for as long as he wants to coach.

Too bad he didn't want to coach anymore after he signed that contract.

For the people that say A&M isn't relevant, you're hearing most of that from Texas, Oklahoma and some from LSU.

And they have been right since 1940. If someone wants to know the truth about Texas A&M, they would be wise to look for information somewhere other than Texags, Billy Liucci, Taylor Hamm, etc. There is no objectivity or self-reflection in College Station, Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

The idoit who paid $100,000,000 for the Yugo.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

He seems to have forgotten the possibility that you might want to fire a coach because...well because he sucks...and that buyout also keeps the coach here (there actually, thank god). 

Never ever change Looch, you fucking idiot. 

Aggies just put up a wall around College Station.

Bringing back insane asylums is a good idea, and that's a great start.

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He seems to have forgotten the possibility that you might want to fire a coach because...well because he sucks...and that buyout also keeps the coach here (there actually, thank god). 

Never ever change Looch, you fucking idiot. 

Aggies just put up a wall around College Station.

Bringing back insane asylums is a good idea, and that's a great start.

This just perfectly encapsulates the aggie mindset. They just won't even entertain the possibility that they made a bad choice. They were just soooo excited that they got themselves a bona fide national champeenship-winning corch!

I don't have time to fool around with it, but I'd like to see the math on what it might take to get a top 5 salary coach per year with no multi-year contract and no buyout.

Say it's $12M per year, and he fails to deliver to expectations after 3 years.  Bye.  You're out $36M.  What if you were paying $9M per year but a 5-year guarantee?  You're out $45M.  (Yeah, the rolling one-year contract would need escalators, maybe you're out $38M or some such.)

These decade long deals are fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't have time to fool around with it, but I'd like to see the math on what it might take to get a top 5 salary coach per year with no multi-year contract and no buyout.

Say it's $12M per year, and he fails to deliver to expectations after 3 years.  Bye.  You're out $36M.  What if you were paying $9M per year but a 5-year guarantee?  You're out $45M.  (Yeah, the rolling one-year contract would need escalators, maybe you're out $38M or some such.)

Well, they’re Aggy, so….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Knock yourself out.

aggie math.xlsx

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

They paid for a 2023 Maserati MC20. They got a 1985 Yugo. 

The only other school to give this kind of insane contract just dodged the bullet because the idiot coach liked phone sex. 

I really hope that the aggy Bilbo contract will be the pinnacle of this madness. No one else should ever again give ~$100MM guaranteed to a football corch. This should be a lesson to everybody. 

Narrator:  It wasn’t the pinnacle of madness. In the constant desperate search for relevance, schools will continue to overpay corches. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

That Looch write up about the extension is crazy talk.  It’s like the only possible negative outcome for aggy is Saban get’s tired of winning nattys and the only person Bama could possibly see replacing Saban is Jimbo so they money whip him and aggy loses their savior.   

He also asks:

A buyout does nothing. When was the last time a school didn't hire a coach they wanted because of a buyout?

Well when was the last time a college coach turned down a nearly $100 million contract because a buyout exists that’s somewhat less than $100 million?  

googling Jimbo’s contract to refresh my memory there are suddenly a lot of fresh articles:

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2023/09/12/jimbo-fisher-contract-texas-am-mistake

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/2023/09/09/jimbo-fisher-texas-am-contract-buyout-clause-aggies-coach-fired/70813813007/

https://www.on3.com/college/texas-am-aggies/news/paul-finebaum-jimbo-fishers-buyout-will-not-be-a-factor-if-texas-am-is-mediocre-again/

Edited by Lhorn

Well that and crossing a coach off the list because of his buyout almost certainly happens multiple times every year. He hasn't heard about it because, you know, they weren't hired. 

It's like that dipshit expects an athletic director to come out and mention the guys they didn't hire because of financial issues at the hired coach's introductory press conference. 

Edited by Huckleberry

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Apparently this site is also hooked up to an RV generator.

If this site is an RV, what it really needs to do is offload. A read of most posts (especially mine) will tell you there’s no doubt the shitter’s full. 
christmas-national.gif

On 9/10/2023 at 8:26 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm still laughing at the marketing genius of "we're not weird".  Never change.

So that's actually real. Just wow. They really need to farm this out to professionals instead of the Aggy network of dorks.

They introduce themselves to everyone as a place and people regarded as "weird." Two things about that:

1. Their hubris to think everyone watching that ad has any opinion at all about Texas A&M University. Some do. Most don't. Aggy is not important enough, for that and they are currently known only for embarrassing failure rather than weirdness.
  2. They've planted the notion that they are weird into the minds of the unknowing and then proved it with all the video of them being weird. The dog. The stupid voice over. Hitler Jungen. They just need a short shot of the corps marching with torches chanting, "the sips will not replace us!"

Most of the time,  begging people to love you only makes them despise you as pitiful.

On 9/10/2023 at 8:30 AM, UTEX90 said:

Yea, if you have to tell people you aren't weird.  Well, then you're probably fucking weird.

Bingo!

On 9/10/2023 at 8:30 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Especially with the line of we not followers but do have a leader and video pans to a dog.

The shot they think proves how loveable they are for having Miss Reveille in charge of the Corps. 

It'll be nice to have them safely under the boot where they belong.

11 minutes ago, nnm said:

If this site is an RV, what it really needs to do is offload. A read of most posts (especially mine) will tell you there’s no doubt the shitter’s full. 
christmas-national.gif

This is Surly. Shitter may be full, but there's always room for more shit. It's like Jello. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

So that's actually real. Just wow. They really need to farm this out to professionals instead of the Aggy network of dorks.

They introduce themselves to everyone as a place and people regarded as "weird." Two things about that:

1. Their hubris to think everyone watching that ad has any opinion at all about Texas A&M University. Some do. Most don't. Aggy is not important enough, for that and they are currently known only for embarrassing failure rather than weirdness.
  2. They've planted the notion that they are weird into the minds of the unknowing and then proved it with all the video of them being weird. The dog. The stupid voice over. Hitler Jungen. They just need a short shot of the corps marching with torches chanting, "the sips will not replace us!"

Most of the time,  begging people to love you only makes them despise you as pitiful.

Bingo!

The shot they think proves how loveable they are for having Miss Reveille in charge of the Corps. 

It'll be nice to have them safely under the boot where they belong.

They have yet to find anyone smarter than an inbred dog to lead the Corps. 

15 minutes ago, nnm said:

They paid for a 2023 Maserati MC20. They got a 1985 Yugo. 

The only other school to give this kind of insane contract just dodged the bullet because the idiot coach liked phone sex. 

I really hope that the aggy Bilbo contract will be the pinnacle of this madness. No one else should ever again give ~$100MM guaranteed to a football corch. This should be a lesson to everybody. 

Narrator:  It wasn’t the pinnacle of madness. In the constant desperate search for relevance, schools will continue to overpay corches. 

your information may be a bit outdated...

Dabo - 10 years ($115 million) - https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34548897/clemson-tigers-head-football-coach-dabo-swinney-agrees-new-10-year-115-million-contract

Kelly -10 years ($95 million)- https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2022/01/10/lsu-football-contract-brian-kelly-coaching-staff/9124249002/

Riley - rumored to be 10 years ($110 million) - https://collegefootballnetwork.com/lincoln-riley-salary-contract-net-worth/

Franklin - 10 years ($75 million)- https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11/23/football-franklin-agrees-to-new-10-year-contract

Cristobal - 10 years ($80 million) - https://theathletic.com/4184515/2021/12/05/miami-signs-oregon-coach-mario-cristobal-to-10-year-80-million-contract-after-firing-manny-diaz-source

I think Saban and a few others have 8 years, and all of these are just off the top of my head, so there may be  more I cant recall. And this shit will continue because there are far few coaches worth a shit than there are AD's under tremendous pressure to win that elusive national championship. They have as much self-restraint as NFL/NBA owners. 

On 9/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

That they were all crowing about and so fucking proud of when they offered it and Bilbo signed because it showed the college football universe just how serious and committed they were to winning by...lighting a pile of money on fire.

Indeed, that was their lesson: not that it took that kind of money to lure a coach but that they were spectacularly rich for being able to draw someone at such a cost to such an extraordinary shithole.

And they believed Jimbo came out of love for all things Aggie.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

That Looch write up about the extension is crazy talk.  It’s like the only possible negative outcome for aggy is Saban get’s tired of winning nattys and the only person Bama could possibly see replacing Saban is Jimbo so they money whip him and aggy loses their savior. 

And this is the same school that made a fucking crazy deal extending Kevin Sumlin and Mike Sherman before Jimbo. They're idiots and will never learn.

4 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

I can't believe people pay to read such bullshit....

Nevermind.....   aggy!

25 minutes ago, Blotto said:

your information may be a bit outdated...

Dabo - 10 years ($115 million) - https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34548897/clemson-tigers-head-football-coach-dabo-swinney-agrees-new-10-year-115-million-contract

Kelly -10 years ($95 million)- https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2022/01/10/lsu-football-contract-brian-kelly-coaching-staff/9124249002/

Riley - rumored to be 10 years ($110 million) - https://collegefootballnetwork.com/lincoln-riley-salary-contract-net-worth/

Franklin - 10 years ($75 million)- https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/11/23/football-franklin-agrees-to-new-10-year-contract

Cristobal - 10 years ($80 million) - https://theathletic.com/4184515/2021/12/05/miami-signs-oregon-coach-mario-cristobal-to-10-year-80-million-contract-after-firing-manny-diaz-source

I think Saban and a few others have 8 years, and all of these are just off the top of my head, so there may be  more I cant recall. And this shit will continue because there are far few coaches worth a shit than there are AD's under tremendous pressure to win that elusive national championship. They have as much self-restraint as NFL/NBA owners. 

I admit I'm uninformed.  Are all of those fully guaranteed the way Bilbo's is?  Are there buyouts in any of those that allow the school to get out without paying the full outstanding contract amount?