• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It has to be Elko, right?

Also, has Jimbo made any statement/comments since being fired?

Why the fuck would he say anything?  For what's coming to him,  I would have been on the phone yesterday with my realtor and tell that bitch to get me a place at Stone Canyon for the winters and Gozzer Ranch for the summer and I would never talk to anyone again. 

• Like 1

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Why would any coach accept less than what Jimbo got, that dude lost 4 games a year they could easily match that

Honestly that job seems like a nightmare.  Delusional fanbase, unrealistic expectations.  Not to mention the weirdo factor.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, pops said:

Why the fuck would he say anything?  For what's coming to him,  I would have been on the phone yesterday with my realtor and tell that bitch to get me a place at Stone Canyon for the winters and Gozzer Ranch for the summer and I would never talk to anyone again. 

Jimbo has his eyes on a brand new triple-wide.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Also they had a vote recently about increasing the athletic fee for students at UTSA and it failed to pass. 

image.png.71cb689c9bd4f0446abc89ecb1b6e108.png

I love the 70.66% that said no.

Whomever came up with the proposal to tax broke-ass students and funnel that money to athletics needs to get kicked in the nuts, repeatedly

kicked-in-the-nuts-gif.gif.34da07926d6eb6a0688a58e09e89fe4b.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Honestly that job seems like a nightmare.  Delusional fanbase, unrealistic expectations.  Not to mention the weirdo factor.  

The vast majority of coaches could probably ignore all that for $9M/yr.  Jimbo ignored all that and the actual coaching and made out pretty well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Imagine being paid less to coach A&M than Jimbo is making that same year to NOT coach A&M.

lol

^ This. What moron (since coaches NEVER have egos) is going to want to come to the college equivalent of the Guyana People’s Temple, surrounded by delusional nut jobs, reports to a fucktard, tries to convince himself this is a “top 5 job”, and gets to cash checks knowing he gets paid less to deal with this shit than Bilbo gets to sit on his ass and do absolutely fuck all?

And then there’s this

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

From yesterday; not directed solely at A&M or Jimbo, but good read:

https://theathletic.com/5056968/2023/11/12/jimbo-fisher-buyout-college-coaches/

Hide contents

Two years ago, Penn State gave James Franklin a 10-year, $85 million contract amid speculation that USC maybe, possibly might try to steal him away after the season. On Saturday, Nittany Lions fans mercilessly booed Franklin as he walked through the tunnel exiting Beaver Stadium after yet another loss to a top-10 opponent. This would normally be a time when the school stopped to consider whether someone else might be better equipped to lead the Nittany Lions to Big Ten championships, except it would cost the school $65 million to send him packing.

Around that same time, Michigan State gave Mel Tucker his infamous $95 million deal less than two years into his tenure. Two years later, the Spartans are terrible, and if Tucker hadn’t sabotaged his employment, the school would still be on the hook for roughly $80 million of it.

Despite the fact roughly half of coaches wind up getting fired eventually, nobody ever thinks their coach will be one of them, so nobody stops to consider whether committing so much money to one person is a financially prudent move. Clemson gave Dabo Swinney the biggest contract in college sports history — 10 years, $115 million — last year. At the time, throwing that much money at a two-time national championship coach probably made all the sense in the world, but a year later, Clemson is 6-4, enduring its worst season in 13 years. No one would rationally suggest the school should fire him for it, but what if things don’t get better over the next couple of years?

But also: Who exactly was Clemson competing with when it gave Dabo that monstrous contract? Did it think he was going to leave for another job if it gave him only $105 million instead of $115 million?

And it’s not just the blue bloods making rash and financially prohibitive deals.

Long-suffering Indiana was so elated that Tom Allen led the Hoosiers to a No. 12 ranking in 2020 — with a 6-2 record, mind you — that it gave him an incredibly one-sided new contract. Understandably concerned that a more prestigious program might pluck him away, it put in a clause that he would owe 50 percent back were he to leave prior to the 2022 season, but after that just $4 million. But IU, of course, owes the full amount (currently $20.8 million) if it wants to let go of a coach who is 9-25 since signing the deal.

Prior to Sunday, that $20.8 million figure would have been the second-highest buyout on record, trailing only Auburn’s $21.45 million payout to Gus Malzahn after the 2020 season. But Texas A&M just broke that record by roughly 259 percent, and now, much how that school normalized gigantic guaranteed contracts when it hired Jimbo, it will likely open the floodgates to other schools paying previously unheard-of buyouts.

On the list of world problems, football coaches getting enormous buyouts is not remotely close to the top of the list. Even within college athletics, there are more pressing concerns, like a multibillion dollar suit against the NCAA and the Power 5 conferences arguing athletes deserve a share of TV revenue, and multiple cases involving the threat of athletes being classified as employees.

However, these horribly negotiated coaching contracts go hand in hand with the other issues. In the months and years to come, you will hear no shortage of administrators in courtrooms and in the media decrying all the negative consequences sure to come if the NCAA model changes — non-revenue sports being cut, women’s athletes being marginalized, etc.

Yet any plaintiff’s attorney could easily look at the USA Today coaches salary database and say … really? Do you think perhaps the reason you’re going broke is because you’re paying people well into eight figures only to vanish from your payroll?

The only way this trend is ever going to stop, though, is if the schools start exercising some common-sense restraint in their negotiations. It might mean that — brace yourself — sometimes a school’s No. 1 choice might be to say no. And that’s OK. Sometimes the less-obvious guy winds up faring better than the big-splash guy. See: Arizona’s Jedd Fisch, who took over a disaster of a program and has it ranked in the top 20 in his third year.

It might mean that sometimes the guy doing very well opts to leave for another school because his current one won’t give in to this agent’s completely unreasonable salary ask and umpteen demands about facilities improvements and whatnot. And, with the exception of the top five or so coaches in the country, that’s OK, too.

But the current market is just ludicrously one-sided, with no sign of letting up.

Being a college athletic director can be a fun job with a seven-figure salary and lots of perks.

But I’d much rather be on the other side of the table from one.

Let's be clear... A&M is not like other schools. They will pay a coach an outrageous amount of money because it makes them look rich. They are that friend who boasts about how much he spent on a boat rather than how much he saved.... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mannewers said:

Would love all of this talk about money to backfire on them.

Ross - Hey Dan, its Ross. We'd love for you to come take 8&4, excuse me, A&M to a new level. We believe you are the best available and a way better coach than we have ever had.

Dan - I appreciate that and all but I already have Oregon at that level. Not to mention all the Nike money behind me.

Ross - Pissshhh, Nike? We at A&M have thrice the means and are willing to win at no cost.

Dan - No cost you say? Well, I'm certainly listening. However, I don't want to risk our conversation leaking to jeopardize the season we are having. So I just need you to cut to the chase and give me a number.

Ross - You are our #1 target so we are prepared to offer 7 years of $70M.

Dan - Oh ok, that sounds good.

Ross - Good? That's a 30% raise, you should be thrilled! Remember, we have more money than anyone!

Dan - When you say it that way I guess I should be thrilled. But... well... let me think about it.

Ross - But what, what is there to think about? This a chance to come back to the mighty SEC. Remember it just means more. Plus you get a nice big raise to boot.

Dan - Yes, yes that is true. Then I can't help but recall you just paid $76M for Jimbob to NOT coach at your school again.

Ross - Jimbo? Well, I can't get into specific numbers but approximately.

Dan - Yeah Jimbo I mean. Yet you are offering me $70?

Ross - Yes, but you see

Dan - See what? You just told me you had more money than anyone.

Ross - I did but...

Dan - No, no buts. You do or you don't.

Ross - Yes we do but it doesn't really work like that. We have to Enron our books for a few years. Just a small bump in the road, hence the 7 year offer.

Dan - Maybe we can talk again after the season.

Ross - After the season? I'm sorry but we can't wait that long, we have to move soon. What would it take?

Dan - Well, I know you like the whole world to perceive you have more money than anyone. I know you like to be the talk of the media...

Ross - Yes, yes..

Dan - So let's show the world and send the media into a frenzy.

Ross - Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Dan - 10/150, fully guaranteed because I am way better than that bitch Dumbo. Sorry, I mean Jimbo. Oh and let's not forget, no offset. It's a win-win. You get the coach, the perception and all the media time. In turn, you make it worth my while to deal with male cheerleaders, the cringe worthy turditions and that shit hole you call a town.

Ross - Um... I'll be in touch. (click)

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I can't prove it, but in my heart I know this is true... All ex-aggy head football coaches meet once a year on St. Barths to talk about the shit they had to put up with to hit their payday. Jackie Sherill and R.C. Slocum have never been invited. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Why would any coach accept less than what Jimbo got, that dude lost 4 games a year they could easily match that

You gotta know that Sexton went to aggy for Jimbo with a $75 million counter intending to throw in stair step incentives to get to that figure but dumb aggy said “SOLD!” as soon as Jimmy said $75 million.

Aggy walked away chuckling “what a bargain!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mannewers said:

Ross - Hey Dan, its Ross. We'd love for you to come take 8&4, excuse me, A&M to a new level. We believe you are the best available and a way better coach than we have ever had.

Dan - I appreciate that and all but I already have Oregon at that level. Not to mention all the Nike money behind me.

Ross - Pissshhh, Nike? We at A&M have thrice the means and are willing to win at no cost.

Dan - No cost you say? Well, I'm certainly listening. However, I don't want to risk our conversation leaking to jeopardize the season we are having. So I just need you to cut to the chase and give me a number.

Ross - Good? That's a 30% raise, you should be thrilled! Remember, we have more money than anyone!

Dan - When you say it that way I guess I should be thrilled. But... well... let me think about it.

Ross - But what, what is there to think about? This a chance to come back to the mighty SEC. Remember it just means more. Plus you get a nice big raise to boot.

Dan - Yes, yes that is true. Then I can't help but recall you just paid $76M for Jimbob to NOT coach at your school again.

Ross - Yes, but you see

Ross - I did but...

Ross - Yes we do but it doesn't really work like that. We have to Enron our books for a few years. Just a small bump in the road, hence the 7 year offer.

Ross - After the season? I'm sorry but we can't wait that long, we have to move soon. What would it take?

Dan - Well, I know you like the whole world to perceive you have more money than anyone. I know you like to be the talk of the media...

Ross - Yes, yes..

Ross - Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Dan - 10/150, fully guaranteed because I am way better than that bitch Dumbo. Sorry, I mean Jimbo. Oh and let's not forget, no offset. It's a win-win. You get the coach, the perception and all the media time. In turn, you make it worth my while to deal with male cheerleaders, the cringe worthy turditions and that shit hole you call a town.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Am I the only one who wants to see the texts, emails and pics of the aggy BOR and other bigwigs that Bjork almost certainly has in his possession? His firing should have happened before Jimbo's, yet he lives to aggy things up yet again.

Or alternately he's much like someone else in high office (/CR) and has to run every little decision he makes by someone who isn't himself.

Looch has thrown out they make take Chip Kelly off your hands.
Not even entertaining that's a real possibility.

Having said that, it would be an early Christmas present for me, and I'd ask for nothing more than that. Talk about epic lulz...the gift that keep on giving.

3 hours ago, mannewers said:

Ross - Yes, but you see

Ross - I did but...

Ross - Yes, yes..

Ross - Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

So it has been decreed. Let it reverently shine in it's venerated home for evermore.  

JImbo-Trophy.jpg

Is that the “We Spent More Money Hiring and Firing Jimbo Fisher than Any University on Any Coach Ever and Accomplished Absolutely Nothing in the Process but Wasting Tons of Money” trophy?

Definitely belongs in the Hall of Champions. It’s all they have. 

• Hook 'Em 2